Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon modification Hunts.

johnno23

One aspect of Warfame I truly enjoyed on my journey through the Star Chart were the multiple part missions where the player had to hunt down items to be able to construct a Frame.

Now whilst we have Rivens and mods etc we have only the basic weapons that later gets a Primed Version. That's fine but how about if a player could make a unique weapon? 

My thoughts are take a weapon as a rifle. We have the Blue Print, barrel stock and receiver for example. If Darvo on occasion were to have a Blue Print for sale. Print for a Barrel upgrade or a Blue Print for the Stock etc. The actual items needed to build the upgrades could be random locations could be specific. But the player that obtains the item can only build it in the foundry or sell back to Darvo for credits. So no trading...if trading is permitted then pretty soon everyone would have the same upgrades and any chance of players having something unique for longer than a couple of weeks is over.

I would also implement a system where the Blue Print is required or the item if found cannot be picked up. 

I have no idea if such a system is easy to work into the game but it would open a lot of opportunities for players to have weapons that are more diverse. Visually it is little more than a skin but with a small percentage of Status Chance or additional Damage added purely to make the hunt a little more rewarding.

Anyways....merely my rambling thoughts as I drink a coffee reading clan alliance chat tab and seeing people post Warframe and weapon build links to each other. 

Just now, (XB1)Kuhl MC said:

Hmm, I'm not sure, if we need more RNG stats on weapons apart from Rivens, it'll make balancing even more difficult and could potentially lead to even more nerfs...

TBH, I would rather see a valance transfer system rather than the riven system.

Hunting down an upgrade, even over a long period of time is more interesting to me than RNG, so long as the process isn't completely terrible. Upgrading my Railjack to its maximum capabilities was fun and satisfying, if short lived.

valance transfer system could be interesting.

As for my comment on a little status chance or small damage increase it need not be more than a tiny amount. Just something to make the Hunt for the upgrade worthwhile. It is not about making weapons stronger more about adding a little more diversity in looks and possible improvement. For example some weapons suffer from bad recoil and a riven can help that just as a mod can help. But if an upgrade to the weapon stock were to reduce recoil by a percentage that is also a worthwhile upgrade that makes the hunt a little more interesting. I like when DE release some new weapon but in reality all these new shiny's mean that the abundance of what we already have is being left out in the cold. Many of our weapons in the DE arsenal need a buff here and there and if I just let my mind wander around possibilities those buffs could be rewards which in turn are an incentive to go back to a weapon unused for many months. As stated above it is merely my thoughts as right now so many players basically clone each others warframes and weapon builds. Nothing wrong with that but it does limit diversity to an extent.

Nope....merely stating a manner in which it might be possible to add a little diversity to what we already have.

Take the Soma. Once the pride and joy of the tenno. Today very often built levelled and then left behind. Then the same with the soma prime.. That said some people really like the Soma so what if they were able to buy a blue print to improve an aspect of the weapon. New look to the barrel or the stock and a small improvement to the weapon handling. To obtain this it is a similar route to the start chart story lines where we got missions in multiple parts to collect the required components to build a frame.....

The buffs I mention are merely small percentages of an aspect from the weapons handling..nothing dramatic just enough to make it worth while. 

The fact that many weapons are multiple parts and that player 1 might have the barrel upgrade player 2 the stock and player 3 might have both then already diversity is abundant. I just feel if such a thing should ever be introduced it should not be tradable.  

No, I was merely thinking aloud as to how it might be possible to actually improve upon what we already have. why does everyone read something different???

one thinks Kuva weapons scenario another thinks I want more damage leading to more inbalance and now we have modular.

Modular as in Kitguns is maybe the closest but the methodology to acquire the parts is not just earn standing go buy from a vendor. I used Darvo as a source for purchase of the blue print but it could just as easily be do a quest for the lotus. it is merely an idea not a want not a demand.

Imagine a new weapon skin for an existing weapon that as a type of treasure hunt scenario where we have to do missions and can look for the parts to alter a weapon that we already have. The weapon skin however would be made up not of one single part but increments. So if you find the Barrel as an example that can be made in the players foundry and used. So using the old and well known Soma again as the example the barrel could be used to change the characteristics of the existing one. Easy example slower rate of fire but slight increase in damage and a new look. Same applies to the receiver and the stock but each part can be used if found. 

Right now we can buy a skin or on occasion do a mission and a weapon skin is rewarded. It simply changes how the weapon looks which is fine. I was merely thinking aloud how a skin could be in parts to create diversity. So a Soma could have its separate parts have an alternative look and behave slightly different. Merely an idea nothing more. so please do not go reading things into it that I never wrote or intended.

it's not a bad idea, but when you think of ALL the weapons and ALL the parts for each, you'd be asking DE to do a tremendous amount of design work for what really amounts to minor stat increases and visual changes on weapons. that's also not counting any new weapons being added, they would need these upgrade opportunities as well.

sorry, but I don't think something like this is happening, certainly not any time soon.

I would never even imagine DE trying to alter some 200 plus weapons. It is merely an idea. But it could be fun if one or possibly 2 weapons in a year from the original game when it was first released were to be reworked. It just strikes me as an opportunity for something unique.

I look at Xaku with the same type of thoughts in my mind. One frame made up from pieces from 3 lost frames. Defy Gaze and Deny. A world of possibility if it were to be explored...3 possible paths for a player to choose from if other lost pieces of those frames were to be discovered in missions. As stated just thoughts not a wish list or a I want this or that.

Warframe is a game where we can express ideas and have idle speculation is encouraged which in itself can be fun and maybe interesting.. That is all my first post was about to start with, it is just a little odd that the post was either taken the wrong way or people just say why it will never happen. It need not happen I just expected to have others possibly engage in a conversation.

I just feel variety is worth exploring and if I once again go back to a weapon as the Soma. An older weapon long time in game and it is built /modded pretty much the same by a huge number of players. Thats just a limitation of the mods at our disposal. But I would find it interesting if I had a blue print gathered the resources and found the part to be crafted could do something different. The Soma is an assault rifle with 15 rounds fired per second. An alternative barrel that reduced it to 10 rounds per second means a reduction in damage output.  Damage even though decreased could be seen as a nerf or as a form of ammo conservation so the trade off is acceptable. Not saying anyone should make this happen just throwing out possible ways in which I personally feel I would be encouraged to go back and explore the older weapons that we all build and many of us leave in our inventories and never really go back to. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

it's not a bad idea, but when you think of ALL the weapons and ALL the parts for each, you'd be asking DE to do a tremendous amount of design work for what really amounts to minor stat increases and visual changes on weapons. that's also not counting any new weapons being added, they would need these upgrade opportunities as well.

sorry, but I don't think something like this is happening, certainly not any time soon.

They could cut out visual change aspect and limit it to 'low grade' weapons. Y'know, ones below a certain MR or generally-agreed effectiveness.

So, like, Zylok, the Mk1-series, etcetera. Big, powerhouse weapons could be exempt or only have the smallest handful of upgrades. Provided it was a late-game system, it could allow some older weapons to keep up with newer ones. 

It does not even need to be an upgrade on many weapons just an alternative option. I always have liked Zaws amps and even the kitguns. The idea of variety there is really nice and fun to experiment with as a player. I also like that many items in game you have to work for and by work I mean do missions full fill particular tasks etc. Everything is already in game for something to be possible. We get lotus gifts we do syndicate mission and we do fissures. All of them have one thing in common. That is the basic mission. DE do not need to write new code for these as the maps repeat the missions repeat the objective stays the same only the rewards are different. 

I also really enjoy the multiple part missions the game has which is a reason I enjoy daily sorties. I would really get into having a new message in my mailbox. Lotus says she has heard of a rumour that on Eris there was a Blueprint for an old Tenno weapon. So off hunting across Eris find the Blueprint and have Ordis inform me that the only person who might have knowledge of the item is Darvos. So off to Darvos and he takes the print and says that whilst I was helping Clem on a past mission a relic found by one of his operatives is a modified receiver for the Braton. So pay Darvos for his relic do the fissure and get the part. The part itself might be incomplete and we already have assassination missions so we now discover that the final component to enable building of the receiver in our foundry is held by Vay Hek.

So what could my nice new shiny braton receiver possibly do? Well it could be just about anything from adding a 1or 2% elemental damage to the rounds or that the final round in the magazine deals a heat status proc. basically something easy to implement but fun experimenting with.

Anyways enough of my ramblings as I would rather read what other people think about that would make the game more fun to revisit what we have as opposed to just waiting for new things from DE and reading how when an item is too popular it gets adjusted for balance. I am a believer that balance is to be found by making other items that we already have more interesting to use.

23 hours ago, johnno23 said:

No, I was merely thinking aloud as to how it might be possible to actually improve upon what we already have. why does everyone read something different???

one thinks Kuva weapons scenario another thinks I want more damage leading to more inbalance and now we have modular.

Modular as in Kitguns is maybe the closest but the methodology to acquire the parts is not just earn standing go buy from a vendor. I used Darvo as a source for purchase of the blue print but it could just as easily be do a quest for the lotus. it is merely an idea not a want not a demand.

Imagine a new weapon skin for an existing weapon that as a type of treasure hunt scenario where we have to do missions and can look for the parts to alter a weapon that we already have. The weapon skin however would be made up not of one single part but increments. So if you find the Barrel as an example that can be made in the players foundry and used. So using the old and well known Soma again as the example the barrel could be used to change the characteristics of the existing one. Easy example slower rate of fire but slight increase in damage and a new look. Same applies to the receiver and the stock but each part can be used if found. 

Right now we can buy a skin or on occasion do a mission and a weapon skin is rewarded. It simply changes how the weapon looks which is fine. I was merely thinking aloud how a skin could be in parts to create diversity. So a Soma could have its separate parts have an alternative look and behave slightly different. Merely an idea nothing more. so please do not go reading things into it that I never wrote or intended.

Because your idea is somewhat vague and nebulous and we are trying to understand it using our personal perspective as a framework with all the assumptions and bias that creates. So what each person thinks you mean is going to be different.

That aside, in warframe it has been a recurring huge negative to have cosmetics affect stats to the point that every single variant of it has been phased out. Originally there was the alternative helmets all having modified base stats for the frame that equipped them, Players hated being forced to wear a hat they thought was ugy so those that remain in game were made legacy arcane helmets and can no longer be gotten while every other alt helm is pure cosmetic. Then we had Arcanes tied to syandanas, which everyone hated because they had they had to micromanage their scarves when they changed builds leading to the current system. Then we had the landing craft air support, people didn't like being stuck with the liset because it's air support is normally the most useful and that has finally been changed so that any ship can equip any air support.

Cosmetic additions that also change stats even secondary or tertiary stats is not going to be welcomed by this community.

Sounds more like an augment to the Kitgun system combined with valence transfer than a new mechanic.

You have weapon X built traditionally.

You get a combination of parts (random stats) that can improve it either as a special alert or through baro or other missions? (things that affect handling , like fire rate , recoil , reload speed , magazine , zoom, while costing some other handling base stats?)

you take the parts and modify your Weapon X ,

it is now Weapon X+

you can keep improving it until a cap is reached.

I wouldnt mind , IF it is limited to handling modifications or its a reasonable trade off like corrupted mods.

Apologies if vague...

I am not asking for change but merely trying to elicit a conversation about how to make weapons that simply for most players are left alone and unused once past being levelled for mastery. 

Now DE often refer to usage stats as being something that they see as undesirable when the percentage of the player base is too high using the same weapon. Such a weapon is often adjusted as a form of "balance" to encourage players to use alternative weapons. This I can live with but I often feel that ignoring the state of weapons already in the game that see little or no improvement in a manner that makes me sit up and want to go load them onto a frame again.

The issues mentioned by Drasiel I was unaware of as they are something from before I started playing Warframe. 

My thoughts on the modular weapons we do have in game are that they are a great way in which to add diversity but I find the system of obtaining them a little less interesting. Simply farm resources, sell resources to vendor for standing and then use standing to obtain the blue prints. It is fine for what we have but  I have always liked the manner in which relic fissures force a player to often revisit a tileset or mission we would normally ignore. 

0 _The_F00l stated I wouldnt mind , IF it is limited to handling modifications or its a reasonable trade off like corrupted mods. Is similar to my thoughts on what I said about the Soma. One does not need to keep offering a damage increase or something to make a weapon better. But if there were an alternative receiver that could be mounted that reduced fire rate it does not mean reduce damage per second in a negative sense as it offers possible stability and better ammo usage in the positive sense.

I suppose if I try to put my thoughts in a more coherent manner I am saying I would like to see options to make weapons a little more unique,

I would like to see DE revisit some of the older weapons in our inventories.

I would like a situation where instead of DE simply saying we buffed X weapon by Y amount. That as an alternative we ran a mission to find something that offered that buff.

For example Getting the Orbiter and its upgrades was fun it was a similar approach finding the parts to build the railjack. If periodically an older weapon that already exists within Warframe instead of getting a straight up buff from DE were to be approached from the the perspective of adding a modular part that might possibly be found in a mission would that add to the fun and lead to the adoption of older weapon usage as opposed to players waiting then rushing to use only the latest and greatest. ?

I think it would but that is only from my own perspective.

As a result to changes DE made in how elemental damages were adjusted having opened new ways in which to build/mod a weapon. I also think that this was a positive move from DE as it does help me as a player rethink about why I modded many of my older weapons in a particular manner. I have been going back to some of them and find a few of them are getting a new lease of life/usage. This is something that I personally feel could be expanded upon.  

Archived