Old Operator hairstyles are too dark with the new character shader changes in 29.2.0, especially compared to the eyebrows.

NeoRetro10K

I can have pure white hair and the hair undertone is still dark grey, and does not match the eyebrows at all.

Spoiler

8B9114E412DD1631F013E51EB401C8C3EB865F81

I do not have a recent screenshot with white hair, so I do not have anything to compare it to, but it definitely looked better and more accurate before. Lighter shades of hair looked appropriately light before 29.2.0, no matter whether it was an old or new hairstyle. Now the hair lighting for older styles acts like this. Either the changes need to be reverted, or the old hairstyles need to have their materials updated to match the newer ones to bring them into a state of consistency with the new lighting systems and with each other.

In addition, a separate eyebrow color option would be nice, as eyebrows that are too light look awkward, even with a hair color that technically matches. Or somehow squash the lightness ceiling so light eyebrows get darker without changing dark eyebrows too much.

It's not just the old hairstyles, every hair style is dingy grey if made pure white, and any lighter color gets more grey the lighter you make it.  You can't make a light blond, white, or any soft color.  Not to put too fine a point on it, they all look terrible right now.  I can pretty much only stand to put pure black or a very dark saturated color in, and even then it looks 'dull'.  There is no shine to hair at all anymore.

Before, white hair was pure white in most lighting and picked up a bit of the local lighting.

• 4 weeks later...

My operator went from having neon orange hair to having almost brown-orange hair and it makes me sad. Not only that, but even other things are washed out and sad- their skin used to be a warm brown, and now it's got this cool sickly pallor, and even their eyes used to be glowing bright and now look subdued. It's depressing.

This screenshot is from August of last year:

Spoiler

4DE638F7F3058EC332714878983EEF55158A5D4D

And this one is from November last year:

Spoiler

4D6F35964D9A8D49A5136FCD969F76E8531D35ED

These two are from 5 minutes ago, recreating the above images:

Spoiler

8FE52BAC70AA4B36B8CAA1135EBE2B5DFF3BD4F8

Spoiler

21E9D76DCD6300C3CFF2A44699D92621B323692E

The difference is staggering and massively disappointing. Even their eyelashes went from bright orange to plain black!! Give me my neon colored operator back, please! Give us back warm, bright colors!

I wish colors were applied more accurately across materials, especially seeing as people pay money for the color pickers. As for the eyelashes, I wish Operators had more color zones in general. Separate hair, eyebrow, and eyelash color. Separate cheek and eyelid tint. Separate left and right eye.

Archived