Tenno and Mech based PVP. Tell me your thoughts.

Minoig

There's been two things that have constantly eluded this game for a good while.  subjects will be underlined and boldened for the sake of convenience. 

First would be an actual functioning pvp mode.  The addition of mechs was a god send for pvp mechanics. It would be an adaption of titan fall's idea where killing a mech then its operator scores points. This would make use of plenty of different arch weapon types establish different build styles.

The excuse for this game mode is simple. Father never got to run you through the training for the mechs and made a training simulation to better acquaint yourself with mech controls.

For rewards you'd be able to acquire mech skins, arch weapon skins, new arch weapons only obtainable through pvp mode, and maybe even new mech abilities that can be swapped like helmlith abilities. For slight example of ability swaps, there could be healing fields (A dropped object of some type that could take damage and be destroyed by other players making it more strategic to defend. Running decoys that would allow you to outsmart other players and find a better position. Sonar for mapping capabilities. Team based skills and others misc skills that would flesh out the swapping rewards. This would also be great for bringing in more operator based weapons and abilities, Making them something you want to use instead of have to use. 

Map layouts would be easily implemented. You could wall off small parts of the open world maps to allow for changes in geography and tactics ; the more players say 5v5 or FFA the bigger the playing field. Rolling hills of the plains would be a solid straight forward shoot out with few places to really take cover but small grineer camps to make it possible to find a spot to heal. Corpus outposts and jagged mountains in fortuna make a good team based strong holds or strategy based zoning for the new melee mech.

Map mechanics, this is where hotspots would be established. Ammo will regenerate just like in pve, but the catch is that modding will not attribute to damage, only modifying how the weapon works. Energy is something to be fought over, wells that drop energy will be placed around different points on each map to make it more of a risk vs reward idea. Points of interest could be placed around the maps to make things a bit more interesting. There could be modes for pvpve for players that want a bit more of a challenge. Plains at night would have eidolons that are damageable by joint damage instead of tenno based shield breaking, during the day could be thumpers with less health or armor, fortuna could have spider tanks that stalk the terrain, and cambion could have small hoards of infested with a armored predisite ringleader. Killing these special enemies could give team buffs and provide extra entertainment for those who like chaotic fights.

Balancing and mods. Modding plays a massive role in warframe, but it can easily disfigure a pvp based game. A simple fix is to limit mod slots and remove any type of damamge modifier. This makes what gun you choose have more weight. Rapid fire guns would have lower damage but higher ammo count, and higher rate of ammo recharge. Sniper based guns will have higher kick, less ammo, longer ammo recharge but higher range, and over all damage.  Semi auto rifles will have the middle ground and shot guns will fall in the same area with less range. Mods for guns would only work to modify how the gun works instead of how much damage it does.

• Changing weapon damage to corrosive could paint enemy players for other team mates to deal more damage to, while decreasing the base damage of your gun.
  • Electric damage would have a build up proc to create an emp burst to the enemy and other close by enemies that would disrupt maps and team highlights for a short time.
  • Cold would slow down mechs to a small degree but not reduce aim speed, this could pin down a enemy in an open field for other team mates to open fire on.
  • Fire would be over time tick damage to cause groups to back down or finish off someone with low hp.

Other moddifications for guns could change fundamental use's like changing the Corvas to an automatic shotgun with slightly reduce damage but faster ammo regen or changing the larkspur into a straight beam weapon that steals life from enemies and creates a small burst heal for team mates around you. 

Mech mods, Mechs will have 6 slots and no health, shield or armor mods. (pvp gets a bet mucked when you have a walking bullet sponge that can still deal plenty of damage.) 

This game could have limitless hours of fun if pvp was done right, the issue with pvp was that warframes are too small and to vertically versatile to be hit in any way that could be considered fun. Mechs are slower, tighter controlled and have a wider hit boxs. This would bring in players wanting something a bitm ore from warframe and give mechs a solid foot hold and make it less of a island and more of a solid part of the game.

13 minutes ago, Minoig said:

This game could have limitless hours of fun if pvp was done right, the issue with pvp was that warframes are too small and to vertically versatile to be hit in any way that could be considered fun. Mechs are slower, tighter controlled and have a wider hit boxs. This would bring in players wanting something a bitm ore from warframe and give mechs a solid foot hold and make it less of a island and more of a solid part of the game.

This is the reason why I would just pick any other actually pvp focuses game over Warframe. Warframe would have to stop being Warframe for the pvp to work in this game.

2 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

This is the reason why I would just pick any other actually pvp focuses game over Warframe. Warframe would have to stop being Warframe for the pvp to work in this game.

The point for my post is that we already have a pvp mode that no one plays, nothing major would really have to be changed for mechs to be made pvp compatible. So its less of changing warframe and more of changing what's doing the fighting.

also this quote made me realize how many typos there are in this post.

29 minutes ago, Minoig said:

The point for my post is that we already have a pvp mode that no one plays, nothing major would really have to be changed for mechs to be made pvp compatible. So its less of changing warframe and more of changing what's doing the fighting.

also this quote made me realize how many typos there are in this post.

There's still little reason for the masses to play it though. The 20 people that already enjoy conclave would play it, and thats really it. 

First is the usual set of problems. PvP doesn't have a huge level of acceptance so any even remotely major effort put into it will see backlash. PvP also doesn't see a ton of work, to the point that things like Telos Boltace and bugged damage falloffs are still a thing almost a year later.

More specifically, I get the sense that this is trying to be like Titanfall, but runs a very bad risk of falling short (cf. Lich system). Titanfall's design is, largely, built on mech-pilot combat, interwoven together with things like jockeying mechs, having a massive power difference between mechs and pilots, maps being designed just right to allow for slippery pilots in buildings and open spaces for mechs to wreck house - a lot of things the described mode here seems to miss.

To emphasize: Titanfall is basically built the way it is from the ground up. The kind of gameplay it has is a hard enough task to do right. This idea proposes not just reaching for that (in an environment that is, honestly speaking, outright hostile to that kind of growth), but reaching for that with an existing base. That is a massively difficult undertaking. Not to mention that it seems to want to introduce Operator combat in the same breath, which is, in a word, "whew"...

This is also besides the entire point of "if I wanted to play Titanfall I'd just go play Titanfall". There's immediate competition there.

(To be clear: I do think PvP can be effective in Warframe. The problem I see is that, like a number of other missions, it doesn't fulfil the mission type's name to the fullest. Just like Spy is 90% getting to the vault and 10% vaults, Conclave leans a lot toward the arena shooter genre - Doom, Quake, and the like - but then takes a hard left away from that with a total lack of weapon or ability pickups and focal points on modding and loadouts. I do also feel, for its speed, it could be a touch faster - a nudge down in TTK and a healthy dump on the respawn timer - but that's just me.)

Archived