Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are your thoughts on the current status effects?

Hierarch777

Refresher for those that don't know:

Physical:

Impact: Caused enemy to stagger. 

Puncture: Reduces enemy damage up to - 75%

Slash: Applies bleeding DoT which ignores armor

Elemental:

Heat: Applies burning DoT and reduces enemy armor by 50%

Cold: Slows enemy by up to 75%

Electricity: Applies shock DoT which paralyzes enemy and chains to nearby enemies

Toxin: Applies poison DoT which ignores shields

Radiation: Makes enemy attack its allies and increases its damage against them by up to 550%

Corrosive: Reduces enemy armor by up to 80%

Magnetic: Increases damage to shields and disables shield regeneration

Viral: Increases damage to health

Blast: Reduces enemy accuracy

Gas: Creates and AoE DoT around an enemy

I am curious about your opinions about the current effects, and what wpuld you change. 

Probably electric and heat are one of the best single elements. Then comes toxin because its better in some situations, when bypassing shields are favored.

Cold is... well, not really needed. I think it would be really good if it forze enemies completely at like 5 stacks, but other than that, in most cases, the enemy would die before the cold proc takes a noticeable affect. Its a good element for sentinel weapons though, I'll give it that.

Viral because its viral. Slash is good because of viral. Impact and Puncture are elements that are not needed at all because viral and slash exist...

Magnetic is still underused, even after they made slash not able to bypass shields. Enemies just don't have enough shields for it to be considered, and even if they did, toxin would just kill the target quicker. IMO, they should just give it the Void status effect, which is attracting bullets, and give void a different status effect entirely. This would make it scale with melee, acting as a shield (current void status effect redirects enemy fire if it contacts with the bubble) and a source of damage too.

Corrosive have relatively fallen out of use because it requires toxin in its elemental combination. But you need the toxin to make viral. This is prevalant in higher level missions where even the 25% of armor removed is still high enough for viral + slash to out damage it in most cases.

I would probably just reduce viral's damage bonus to health to 200% at max stack instead of 325%, because really, you don't need 325%, and subsequently increase corrosive's armor removal to 99%.

I don't really have an opinion on radiation.

Though in all honesty, I would remove the current statuses and just port over railjack's damage types.

There are less interesting options than before the rework to be honest. Gas is dead, Corrosive is just mostly weak, Viral, Slash, and Heat are really the only useful ones unless you look at niche enemies where Status is ignored or you need a specific damage type (like Profit-Taker).

tldr, viral heat and slash are status effects, the rest is crap. Here's what I would do.

> impact

each impact proc gives upcoming shots a 10% chance to ignore armor. At 10 impact procs, your shots just ignore armor entirely.

> puncture

each puncture proc adds 1 second duration to all ongoing status effects. Puncture itself cripples enemies, slowing MOVEMENT speed by 10% per proc, locking them in place at 10 procs.

> slash

unchanged.

> heat

unchanged.

> cold

enemy attack and projectile speed reduced by 10% per proc. 10 procs apply a freeze that fully stops enemies and doubles all incoming damage long as enemies remain at 10 frost procs.

> electricity

deals no DoT, but instead spreads damage dealt to all enemies within a 5 meter radius, applying a shock proc on them too. This also results in a 4 second stun. Electricity can now chain-stun tight groups via conductivity and redirect damage, thus being viable as an option.

> toxin

unchanged.

> viral

unchanged.

> magnetic

each magnetic proc causes 5% damage to ignore shields. At 10 magnetic procs, shield explodes in a 10m AoE magnetic proc, dealing training shield hp as magnet damage and having shield reduced to zero.

> Gas

gas now gains 100% bonus damage for every enemy in its radius, scaling with enemy density and vastly outperforming other status options in some frame options, varying the meta a bit as well as helping it not suck so much against armor or shields.

> corrosive

unchanged.

> radiation

add a DoT that increases the longer Radiation is applied to a target, making it scale dramatically into DoT relevance if you use status duration mods, or combo it with puncture, or have reliable ways to keep proccing radiation.

- revert gas or least make it scale formula wise and make it better than toxin because theres no reason to go gas atm 
- make magnetic also stun enemies just like when our warframe screen gets gimped when we get affected by its status effect
- rework puncture and blast status procs 

I started playing just before status was reworked and honestly they kind of killed build diversity by making viral pretty much always the strongest option.

Look at toxin for example. Since toxin bypasses shields, I should be able to notice a faster TTK when using toxin against corpus, but I don’t. Viral is just as fast if not faster.

I think it’s good for the game to have “generalist” builds, elements that work against any faction so players that don’t want to change mods for each faction don’t have to, but the generalist build should not always be the strongest. I think if you go out of your way to mod for a specific faction, you should see a noticeable increase in efficiency. Don’t make it mandatory, but at least make it rewarding to mod for a specific faction.

TLDR viral is OP.

Opinions

• Impact: Trash
  • Puncture: Trash
  • Slash: The nerf makes more frames viable, but they could have just made it bypass enemy shields and not frame shields. So still good, but nerfed
  • Heat: Great
  • Cold: Multiple nerfs over the past couple years have made it non-competitive
  • Electricity: Much better than before, but too neutral of an element and alloy armor screws it over
  • Toxin: The 2 nerfs were unneeded
  • Radiation: Niche but useful. The bonus damage should be reversed.
  • Corrosive: Nerfed too much. The bonus damage to ferrite and fossilzed is the only reason it somewhat keeps pace with viral.
  • Magnetic: Better, but it will never be good. Make it so enemies are pulled to one another or something.
  • Viral: Great
  • Blast: Significantly better before
  • Gas: Much better before. Especially since the game's wonky coding makes the current version much worse than it should be.

Fixes based on the 10 stack system, with a 8 sec duration unless otherwise noted. And different rules for the tenno, because the consistency they wanted in their current system isn't even there.

• Impact: Enemies are Condemned (Harrow's 1 CC) for 1s (+0.25s). At max stacks enemies are vulnerable to Parazon mercy kills regardless of remaining health
  • Puncture: Enemies have a 35% (+8%) chance to be disarmed or briefly stunned once. At max stacks consume all stacks to heal you and allies within 10m by 15%
  • Slash: Have it bypass enemy shields
  • Heat: n/a
  • Cold: Enemies are slowed by 50% (+4%), and other status proc durations on the enemy can't wear off for the duration
  • Electricity: The status proc now spreads to all unafflicted enemies within 3m. Enemies have a 40% (+4%) increased chance to drop an energy orb
    • I.E. if an enemy has a 5% chance to drop an energy orb, at 10 or more stacks (b/c DoT elements have uncapped stacks) they will have a 10% chance.
  • Toxin: Revert the 2 nerfs
  • Radiation: 12s duration and previous allies deal 100% (+25%) true damage to the victim
  • Corrosive: Unlimited duration 35% (+7%) armor strip that is additive with heat
  • Magnetic: Enemies within 10m (+1m) are also pulled together similar to Magnetize  
  • Viral: n/a
  • Blast: Knockdown enemies in a 5m radius. Killing an enemy with a blast proc deals 25% (+2%) of their max health and shields as blast damage in a 5m (+0.5m) radius
  • Gas: Create two 3m explosions, one causing a heat proc and the other a toxin proc. Killing the enemy causes the explosion to linger for 3s (+1/3s)
On 2020-10-01 at 3:49 PM, z3us32610 said:

Inb4 "Here's how I would make all of the status' insanely stronger while not changing the already strong ones."

Feel free to gimp yourself on your own. We have too many tools that even if we nerfed all the status procs not much would change. Might as well make things fun and feel powerful, while increasing diversity.

2 hours ago, Hierarch777 said:

works ok, as it allows high RoF guns to stunlock enemies, making headshots easier and preventing them from attacking.

makes zero sense conceptually and is hardly effective. the only time Puncture is good is when you have a lot of raw puncture damage. would be better if the Puncture Status made the attack have punchthrough, so if you shoot and get a puncture proc, that shot will also be classed as having Punchthrough and will hurt more enemies in it's path. Punchthrough is a surprisingly good stat but outside of Rivens, most people don't really bother with it.

works fine, and is the only physical damage type that gives DoT procs, would leave as is.

also fine as it is, but elements could be made better by having a special effect that occurs when reaching a certain amount of procs. for fire, perhaps creating a fire patch on the ground that stays for a short time.

yet Frost is the only one who can totally freeze people, which is dumb. stacking a lot of cold should result in enemies being totally frozen. yes, this would be a nice Glaxion buff too.

Electricity: Applies shock DoT which paralyzes enemy and chains to nearby enemies

would like it if it did a little more damage, and had an effect based on the enemy and their Armor status: flesh and Robotic enemies would be burned and take additional damage over time, while armored enemies would conduct the electricity through their armor, affecting a wider range and keeping them stunned for longer. essentially, proc on flesh for more damage, or proc on armor for increased CC and duration.

doesn't work on Treasurers unfortunately.. god I hate those tw@s.. it should be made more effective vs organic enemies like Infested and Grineer, but not against Robots.

works pretty well already. I think since Viruses can weaken your immune system, Viral should act as a buffer for Toxin. would make Infested weapons much more potent too. 

Radiation: Makes enemy attack its allies and increases its damage against them by up to 550%

I always liked the idea of Radiation damage causing rapid mutations in organic enemies, like a form of "turbo-cancer" where enemies grow large tumours (can use the same mesh as Saryn Spores) that result in extra damage if you shoot them. 

as a Borderlands player, I was always used to Corrosive damage being a DoT thing vs Armored enemies, which I suppose it still is, but it just reduces armor without adding additional damage ticks. letting it do both would be cool, but not sure if maybe it would be TOO good vs armor. if that's the case, I propose making Corrosive DoT on non-armored enemies, so that it remains viable without the presence of enemy armor.

still the most awful damage type for us and the best for enemies, as it takes our energy. I'd love it if Magnetic stopped enemies from using their abilities, like Commander's Switch teleport, or Scorpion's Ripline. if I'm gonna sacrifice the DoT or armor reduction of other damage types, then I at least want compensation in the form of not being switched or roped every 2 seconds. more of a defense oriented damage type in a way; not focused on killing the enemy, just preventing them from killing you. alternatively, have it so that vs armored enemies, it crushes them inside their armor dealing Impact damage over time.

I take it back, Blast is actually worse. it's almost like DE don't know what explosives are capable of. insane percussive force from shockwaves, shrapnel, etc?. then there's Shaped Charges which launch a molten jet of freaking metal through armor.  if Blast did one or all of these things: knockdown, Shrapnel dealt as Puncture damage, reduce armor on direct hit.. Blast would actually be viable. the removal of self-damage brought in a renaissance for Launchers, but there's no reason to mod bullet and projectile guns (and certainly not melee weapons) for blast.

not as good since the nerf, would like if it were either reverted or made so that the gas lingers on enemies who go through gas cloud for a few seconds, and also increase the range of the clouds. perhaps stacking a lot of gas could make the enemy start choking and force them to stay still as they try to regain their breath. would be a an effective CC type.

2 hours ago, Voltage said:

There are less interesting options than before the rework to be honest. Gas is dead, Corrosive is just mostly weak, Viral, Slash, and Heat are really the only useful ones unless you look at niche enemies where Status is ignored or you need a specific damage type (like Profit-Taker).

WHERE. IS. BLAST.

It’s so dead people forgot it exists.

3 hours ago, Hierarch777 said:

Refresher for those that don't know:

Physical:

Elemental:

I am curious about your opinions about the current effects, and what wpuld you change. 

I wish Blast was like in the old days, miss my CC Pox build.

I think that continually making the different damage types unique, but not useful is crippling.  I'd rather them have some crossover in function and be useful rather than unique and inferior to a clear cut meta.  I really like the ideas mentioned by NovusKnight, especially for magnetic.  I would change up Impact to function more like corrosive damage as well as stun enemies.  On top of that it could eventually place enemies in a state open for finishers as well.  As for puncture I would make it so that a percentage of the damage could bypass armor.  Blast would be a combination of slash and stun effects.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with any of the existing status effects but rather there are issues with enemies and how they interact with them. Mainly that enemies aren't designed to encourage different combinations. There are painfully few instances in which the primary meta elements aren't the best choice (Viral, Slash, Corrosive, Heat) especially as enemies aren't unique enough from each other resulting in the same combinations being effective regardless of faction/mission.

It doesn't matter how much a status is buffed or reworked when over 99% of content can be cleared with the use of the same 2-4 elements out of the 13 total.

Deimos was a, albeit heavy handed, approach in the right direction with making heavy units Viral immune. All it really did was make Corrosive the go to for Deimos and is a shallow way to increase element diversity but specific element interactions with certain enemies would go a long way for improving the system.

Personally, I think that there are way too many damage types in warframe. 16 is insane, even if we can technically only mod for 13 of them. With that amount there are of course going to be some status types that are basically useless. They could really stand to trim it down to about 8. I’d really like to see cold and shock be actually useful, but in a game where it’s “one-shot or you’re doing it wrong” these types of statuses will never be useful. And the new blast is somehow worse than the old one. An enemy with 10 blast statuses on them should be hitting nothing but the air.

5 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

Inb4 "Here's how I would make all of the status' insanely stronger while not changing the already strong ones."

As if we aren't melting enemies already

No one is talking about melting enemies we are talking about the status meta.

For cold damage it should honestly freeze targets solid after a while for a duration. That would actually be useful and kinda cool too. Slowing them down slightly isnt rly effective unless it happened in a huge area, maybe if it was muuuch slower than what it is now it might be better. 

But of course it would be a challenge making it work without being too powerful. 

I just want them to make all the procs "realistic" to a degree. Heat is pretty close (hot metal is easier to mold) as is Electric (tasers stun) and chaining electricity has just become so normal in games that it might as well stay. Toxin is also acceptable as is Gas except its damage (it should be a low % hp burn such as 0.3% per proc, up to 30%)

Puncture should bypass armour and shields to some degree 

Impact should stagger and disarm or stun/open to finishers (like equinox's rest) and Blast should do the other one (increasing chance per proc)

Slash is fine in terms of what it does as a proc

Cold should be able to completely freeze basic enemies at full stacks and increase all damage to them while frozen but prevent all other procs. If an enemy gets hit by a heat proc while having a cold one they both get negated and deal a % of the enemies current health (10% for example) and vice-versa.

Radiation should weaken an enemy by reducing everything (speed, damage if melee, accuracy) not confuse it. If you go in to a nuclear reactor you don't go in to a frenzy, you decay and die. But does not work on robots (even though it could realistically)

Viral could cause status effects to spread, but I don't think that would actually work in normal gameplay. Viral could change in to current radiation, being infected can make someone go in to a frenzy. Each time they hit an "ally" they should have a chance to spread it too but with a reduced effect/duration. Also it should not work on robots

Magnetic should give enemy guns a chance to jam (gotta be some metal in them) and cause robots to fritz out (confuse them, weaken them etc. basically Viral and Rad for robots) That way it is useful on humans, but should be the robotic killer. 

Corrosive should increase health damage taken. It makes sense once you've started being corroded your body would be weaker.

Also while they are at it, they should allow us to chose whether 2 elements combine on a weapon. You lose out on a lot of damage potential by not using multiple elemental mods with nearly every weapon, and being forced to use a combo element when each proc would have its place is not ideal.

Archived