Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's with the godawful timegates for constructing a railjack

Surbusken

29 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

Forced waiting, massive resource costs, the sheer number of different resources, absurdly low drop chances/amounts, etc. It all exists for the same reason: To hide the fact that this game only actually offers about 10 hours of real gameplay total. The only reason it seems like thousands of hours is because of all the timewasting mechanics DE piles in.

The game is grindy for sure but this is just hilariously dishonest. Maybe the most absurd statement I’ve ever seen on these forums and that is a massive accomplishment, so at least you have that going for you.

Do you just consider anything that’s repeated not “real gameplay”? How much “real gameplay” do pvp games have then? Or hell use Risk of Rain 2 for example, it’s just the same run over and over again and it’s a smashing success. Is that not a real game?

Embarrassing take by you.

3 hours ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

The game is grindy for sure but this is just hilariously dishonest. Maybe the most absurd statement I’ve ever seen on these forums and that is a massive accomplishment, so at least you have that going for you.

Do you just consider anything that’s repeated not “real gameplay”? How much “real gameplay” do pvp games have then? Or hell use Risk of Rain 2 for example, it’s just the same run over and over again and it’s a smashing success. Is that not a real game?

-Yes

-none

-try Hard Rain instead of Risk of Rain for an example

On 2020-10-02 at 9:15 PM, Lordmotav said:

Also you're making a battleship. Like... A battleship. 

Interceptor, actually.

Too small and weak to be a cruiser, or any other kind of ship. But too big for a fighter.

The Railjack ain't got s*** on a battleship. Hell, a space battleship has more guns than 20 Railjacks together. And what kind of battleship can drift, I mean really. Even in the space-magic filled future we got some rules, man.

Sorry I just can't stand it when people call some puny space bathtub a battleship.

3 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

Interceptor, actually.

Too small and weak to be a cruiser, or any other kind of ship. But too big for a fighter.

The Railjack ain't got s*** on a battleship. Hell, a space battleship has more guns than 20 Railjacks together. And what kind of battleship can drift, I mean really. Even in the space-magic filled future we got some rules, man.

Sorry I just can't stand it when people call some puny space bathtub a battleship.

Its a ship.

Its made for battle.

Ergo a battleship.

Spoiler

:clem:

7 hours ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

Sure, I'm real embarrassed that you pointed out how inaccurate that number that I CLEARLY wasn't being literal about. Its impossible to actually know exactly how much real gameplay Warframe actually has, because there is no way to play a version without all the time wasting BS. But that isn't the point I was making. The point is that Warframe is designed to waste your time. The fact that it does that AT ALL is a problem, and the fact that it does it to such a massive degree is a BIG problem.

Your Risk of Rain example isn't nearly the same thing, either. Sure, you do mostly the same thing over and over, like Warframe. But, does it take 200 attempts to unlock even a single new item? Are there daily caps on XP or any other progress? Are there hundreds of different resources to collect? Does it force you to wait 24 hours for anything? I don't think so.

That's what I mean by real gameplay. When you're actually playing the game because YOU want to. When you're actually making progress, and playing because you are enjoying it. Not when you're just mindlessly grinding .01% drop chances, or waiting for an arbitrary countdown to finish.

20 hours ago, Butterfly85 said:

Its 5 hours now? Used to be 24. And a ton more resources. And 25 f$@king argon crystals.

Hell, why is anyone surprised that something g like a spaceship takes time to build? Hell a new warframe takes 3 days

^this and yeah op, just build it and wait

8 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

Sure, I'm real embarrassed that you pointed out how inaccurate that number that I CLEARLY wasn't being literal about. Its impossible to actually know exactly how much real gameplay Warframe actually has, because there is no way to play a version without all the time wasting BS. But that isn't the point I was making. The point is that Warframe is designed to waste your time. The fact that it does that AT ALL is a problem, and the fact that it does it to such a massive degree is a BIG problem.

Your Risk of Rain example isn't nearly the same thing, either. Sure, you do mostly the same thing over and over, like Warframe. But, does it take 200 attempts to unlock even a single new item? Are there daily caps on XP or any other progress? Are there hundreds of different resources to collect? Does it force you to wait 24 hours for anything? I don't think so.

That's what I mean by real gameplay. When you're actually playing the game because YOU want to. When you're actually making progress, and playing because you are enjoying it. Not when you're just mindlessly grinding .01% drop chances, or waiting for an arbitrary countdown to finish.

Okay, you do have some fair points about how Warframe keeps you playing. They most definitely use a formula that is designed to get you hooked.

My counter to this is that Warframe is a casual game, and the whole point of the game is just to have fun with all the toys it offers. I like to look at Warframe as just a giant sandbox to play around in however I want. I know there’s no end goal, I’m just making builds and killing pixels to blow off stress and have some fun. Is that a waste of my time? No more than any other video game is a waste of time.

What Warframe really has going for it is a very strong core combat gameplay loop. It just feels good to play, and that makes the grind so much more bearable for most people. I don’t mind running the same mission over and over if what I’m doing feels good to play. Because again, when I turn on Warframe, I’m just looking to have fun and release some stress. I play other games when I’m looking for something more.

So I think you’re looking at Warframe through the wrong lens. The game is probably not for you if this is how you feel about it.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

Okay, you do have some fair points about how Warframe keeps you playing. They most definitely use a formula that is designed to get you hooked.

My counter to this is that Warframe is a casual game, and the whole point of the game is just to have fun with all the toys it offers. I like to look at Warframe as just a giant sandbox to play around in however I want. I know there’s no end goal, I’m just making builds and killing pixels to blow off stress and have some fun. Is that a waste of my time? No more than any other video game is a waste of time.

What Warframe really has going for it is a very strong core combat gameplay loop. It just feels good to play, and that makes the grind so much more bearable for most people. I don’t mind running the same mission over and over if what I’m doing feels good to play. Because again, when I turn on Warframe, I’m just looking to have fun and release some stress. I play other games when I’m looking for something more.

So I think you’re looking at Warframe through the wrong lens. The game is probably not for you if this is how you feel about it.

Its hilarious how many people tell me "Warframe isn't for you." If it wasn't for me, If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be here at all. The entire reason I stick around, and keep calling out all its flaws, is because there are still parts I do enjoy. There is still fun to be had here. The problem is that its all buried under a pile of anti-fun game design. And that pile keeps getting bigger.

You said you enjoy collecting new toys. That's great! Warframe has an absurd amount of those for you! But, you have to wade through so much stupid crap to get most of them, you have to ask if its worth it. If you want to build a weapon, you have to figure out which of the hundred resources you need and where to find them. Then, once you get those, you have to just sit and wait for a day or so for it to build. If you want a new Frame, you have to figure out where its specific blueprints drop, then do that over and over until RNGesus takes pity on you three times. And after all that, it takes 3 1/2 DAYS of waiting before its done. And void help you if you have to do any of that grinding in a part of the game you don't enjoy.

Now sure, you could just pay to skip all that (Which is DE's primary goal with all this). But closing the game and opening your wallet isn't exactly fun, either. Its a terrible game mechanic that actually defeats the entire point of playing in the first place. Since the entire game revolves around grinding for stuff, skipping that grind means you actually end up with less game to play.

Which, once again, brings us back to the "real gameplay" I mentioned before. If you can pay to skip or accelerate it in some way, its most likely an artificially elongated waste of time that is intentionally designed to be less fun than it should be. Because if it was already fun, they wouldn't have anything to sell you, would they? And I don't consider that a "real" part of the game, because its something I do out of necessity, not enjoyment. Its the chores your Mom makes you do before you can go outside and play.

And, since there are so many other games out there that don't make me do chores before I can have fun with them, I have been spending more and more time there, instead of in Warframe. If DE keeps going like they have been, You'll be right, and Warframe won't be the game for me for much longer. It won't be for anyone else, either, because there won't be any game left. It will be nothing but chores, and waiting to do more chores.

Archived