Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What should happen at Mastery 30?

A very important milestone is about to be reached in Warframe. For many dedicated players, including myself, Mastery Rank 30 is much more than a number. It represents the summit of a high mountain, or the finish line of an incredible marathon. Many of the high mastery players who are still actively playing Warframe began their involvement with the game years ago, even stretching as far back as end-of-2012/early-2013 with the Founders and beta players and early adopters. We've collected all the resources we were asked to collect over the years, fought every adversary we were asked to confront, built and leveled all of the weapons and frames added to the game with each update, and handled all of the events and tactical alerts and challenges that were presented to us. Whether the grind through Mastery was expedited through the use of Platinum or not, reaching MR 30 is an endeavor requiring a monumental amount of effort, time, patience, money, or a combination of all. Will there be incentives to continue Mastery progression past 30 as we move into the future? I believe that's highly likely. Different rewards can be provided. With the sword acquired through Nightwave Episode 5 or the new Prime gear in the upcoming Prime Access, MR 30 will be a reality.

But since Mastery 30 is so symbolically important, since it has been the finish line for so many of us for so long, I personally believe it's important for there to be some special reward for reaching it. Here are my ideas, some of them are certainly more unrealistic and unreasonable than others, but I thought I'd share:

1. The Mastery Test is totally unique from all previous ones. Such as a unique boss fight, like an epic duel against Teshin where we aren't able to use abilities and our equipment is restricted. Or perhaps a totally new and unique foe to fight.
2. A unique Ephemera.
3. A completely unique social space, similar to a Relay, that is only accessible to MR 30 players. I'm picturing a tranquil garden or a traditional wooden dojo.
4. A unique Syandana.
5. A Warframe that is just for MR 30 players. Nothing overpowered, just something unique. I know this one is unreasonable, but still.
6. A unique Glyph, Landing Craft, and Landing Craft Decoration.

What do you all think should be the reward for reaching Grand Master, if any? And how do you think DE should incentivize the continuing of Mastery progression past MR 30? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I think those who are close should be careful not to set their expectations too high. As someone who isn't in a hurry in terms of mastery, I have no skin in the game, whatever happens happens, and if it's cool enough I'll get it someday. That being said... 

DE has not promised anything special for MR30. Maybe they will offer something beyond the usual incremental mastery upgrade stuff, but if they do, my guess is it would likely be cosmetics only. 

I do think they will likely make some kind of gamewide celebration when the first people hit it, maybe offer some boosters and announce in some way in game how excited they are that the game survived long enough to reach that milestone and could still go for years at this point. But all indications are if anything special is planned, they have kept it tightly under wraps, so I wouldn't get too excited. 

Whatever it is, if anything, it won't be anything major. Unless DE decides to put a foot down for once and not cater to the most casual of players it can't be something significant or else that group of players will moan and complain until DE nerfs it for them. And given DE's history with this they'll bend the knee within a month of the release.

Personally I'm just expecting it to be some sort of cosmetic just to acknowledge the achievement. While I'd expect the test to be some combination of the tests to come before it but I have a suspicion that DE will make it something weird and out of place like solo capping an Eidolon in the simulacrum or something of the like.

Post mr30 anything would suffer the same situation as any reward it grants. Though I'm sure it'll be opened up to higher ranks eventually.

Yeah, I think keeping expectations tempered is the right call ultimately. I've just known countless people who have been following along with the Mastery cap for years now. Heck, when I started I believe the highest MR you could reach was 16. There's certainly a large community of players that have progressed through Mastery over the course of years, instead of starting Warframe recently and then just skyrocketing through Mastery (although there are plenty of players in that boat as well, I don't want to disregard that). I just think that some sort of unique reward is very justifiable, instead of the standard rewards associated with ranking up.

36 minutes ago, (PS4)Graceful_Lancer said:

1. The Mastery Test is totally unique from all previous ones. Such as a unique boss fight, like an epic duel against Teshin where we aren't able to use abilities and our equipment is restricted. Or perhaps a totally new and unique foe to fight.
2. A unique Ephemera.
3. A completely unique social space, similar to a Relay, that is only accessible to MR 30 players. I'm picturing a tranquil garden or a traditional wooden dojo.
4. A unique Syandana.
5. A Warframe that is just for MR 30 players. Nothing overpowered, just something unique. I know this one is unreasonable, but still.
6. A unique Glyph, Landing Craft, and Landing Craft Decoration.

What do you all think should be the reward for reaching Grand Master, if any? And how do you think DE should incentivize the continuing of Mastery progression past MR 30? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

While I agree that I think there should be something special for Mastery Rank 30 players, beyond the normal benefits you get from Ranking up, I don't agree that it should be cosmetic. i.e. a Syandana, or an Ephemera. I wrote on this in another thread, but what keeps players coming back to Warframe is progression. Whether that progression is earning platinum, rivens, MRs, or fashion frame. That being said the players who do achieve MR 30 are more likely players that are attracted to grinding and stat progression. An analogy would be the players that are over a 1000 in their paragon levels in Diablo 3, or SHD level in Division 2. As level 30 represents what could be considered the end of that progression in Warframe I don't believe that the majority of the players that do achieve that lofty goal are also in the same catergory of valuing fashion progression. The best thing that could happen at MR 30 is a new system that opens up that allows for continued stat progression. Whether in the form of MR 31, special mods that unlock at certain intervals, like the daily login system, or something absolutely existential like a secondary focus system or adult operators. Something that will keep players, the grindy stat gremlins, that have hit rank 30 invested in the continued progression of the game. Because if there's nothing past MR 30, there will be greatly diminished need for those players to adopt new content because any affinity that they might gain would be useless.

All of the above and anything else cool they can come up with.

Though personally i don't see much point in a new relay as we already have Orcus, which is already sparsely populated most of the time, so you can decrease your loading times.

But it could still have some use in case Orcus isn't available.

What sort of reward would the Teshin fight give?

A warframe with four available subsume ability slots, but all scaled down.

How about that?

Some great potential for customisation, but it would come for a price.

It also wouldn't/shouldn't be overpowered, but given just good enough stats to be viable as an option.

It would also give mr on the first build and could be primed the same way you gild a weapon.

I have a feeling the next update Update: 30 has something to do with MR 30 and maybe beyond. I am not expecting much, maybe just some cool cosmetics. But if DE is willing to include a special power item behind it prepare for a massive backlash.

The ability to put several forma at the same time, max posible rank on simulacrum enemies and eliminating standing cap on syndicates (or at least making it much higher than 29 right now) should be enough as incentive and reward, but a ephemera as bonus sounds good too. 

I'm nowhere near MR 30(even tho I'm playing for 7 years now) but realisticly I know what's gonna happen.
You'll get the ragular basic MR up stuff, maybe infinite loudout slots, maybe a special emote similiar to the tennocon/steel path ones, the sigils evolves as normal and a glyph possibly and prepare for MR31 for sure and MR might be going to be infity to just increase the persons ego nothing more.

absolutely nothing lol they said they will introduce badge system. MR30 will be last. cuz after that even mod capacity wont be effected. maybe some exclusive cosmetic items like syndana/ ephemera / glyph / emote. i would not mind them as long as they feel premium like tennocon items.

59 minutes ago, AltairFerenc said:

I'm nowhere near MR 30(even tho I'm playing for 7 years now) but realisticly I know what's gonna happen.
You'll get the ragular basic MR up stuff, maybe infinite loudout slots, maybe a special emote similiar to the tennocon/steel path ones, the sigils evolves as normal and a glyph possibly and prepare for MR31 for sure and MR might be going to be infity to just increase the persons ego nothing more.

infinite loadout lol wish that happens but its another way to players use plat, so why would they make it free 

25 minutes ago, Dauggie said:

infinite loadout lol wish that happens but its another way to players use plat, so why would they make it free 

a couple is free already and the number you can buy is limited too(also I said maybe, I know that propably never happens) I kinda imaganie it like if you bought all that's possible and you reached MR30 you are no longer limited because you spent both money and time not like you haven't bought a single slot with plat but you reached MR30 so you'll never have to.

All that is possible and that make sense knowing DE is that we can have is that after M. Rank 30 we don't have to level up new things levels and upcoming frames.... They wuold bee already max and that wuold make sense and thats it... 

Archived