Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Adaptation stacking multiplicatively with other resistances make total resistance worse?

(NSW)JigsJosh

Question

So I'm reading the wiki about Adaptation, because its not working like I thought it did at face value. It says that Adaptations damage reduction stacks with other damage reduction multiplicatively. 

So please correct me if I'm mistaken, but because damage resistance stacks multiplicatively, that would mean that even if Adaptation maxes at 90% damage reduction, having another source of damage reduction such as say Gauss's kinetic plating would actually lower the total possible damage resistance? So lets assume Gauss's battery is at enough charge to give Gauss 90% damage reduction, and Adaptation is maxed at 90% for whatever the incoming damage type is. So the math would be .90 x .90 for a total of .81, or 81% damage resistance? 

9 answers to this question

After some more study I've answered my own question. I failed to realize HOW it stacks multiplicatively, and also failed to realize how damage is factored in. 

Rather than the resistance being multiplied to each other, they are factored in as (1 - DR) and then multiplied to the damage. I was confused also because Adaptation doesn't alter damage resistance in the same fashion as other sources apparently. It alters INNATE damage resistance based on health and shield vulnerability.

This equation from the wiki is what confused me. 

"1 − (1 − 0.75 × Adaptation %) for health damage, and
1 − (0.75 − 0.75 × Adaptation %) for shield damage."

yeah, mathematically, reductions are calculated as the inverse, because we calculate what's taken, not how much we resist or protect.

so inverse the DR face value, multiply all of the values against each other, inverse it again if you want to see a Percentage.
however, that Percentage isn't very useful, what you really want is to calculate your EHP Multiplier. you really care about how much more survivable you are, not some arbitrary value.

so while you could calculate:
0.1 * 0.1 == 0.01
1 - 0.01 == 99%

it's far more useful to get an EHP Multiplier, ala:
1 / 0.1 == 10.0x
10.0 * 10.0 == 100.0x EHP

all this really is, is a math shortcut that we also use when programming computers. double inversing lets us do numerous less calculations while still arriving at the correct answer.
there is a long way to do it without inversing, but generally people are only taught the shortcut because there's hardly any reason to do it the other way.

31 minutes ago, (NSW)JigsJosh said:

I was confused also because Adaptation doesn't alter damage resistance in the same fashion as other sources apparently. It alters INNATE damage resistance based on health and shield vulnerability.

however, because of our Health Types being neutralized, this is no longer very important, it's functionally Multiplicative to everything rather than Additive to our Health Type Modifiers.
so, don't worry about that facet of things anymore, as currently it doesn't mean anything except if you're using Elemental Resist Mods or Aviator or Aerodynmic (Resist while airborne).

There is another thing, adaptation on gauss will cover you for the things kinetic plating doesn't work for.(protecting himself against incoming Impact b Impact, Puncture b Puncture, Slash b Slash, Cold b Cold, Heat b Heat, and Blast b Blast )
Also it kp will cap out at 100% and will not give adaptation a chance to gather stacks for these damage types when you are at 100%.
But it's a good mod to put on him, because with his energy economy quick thinking is unpredictable.

A bit of theoretical side note question.
If I had Adaptation at 90%, total reduction from armor at 80%, Shield of Shadows at 90%, would it become this:

1 - ((1-0.9) * (1-0.8) * (1-0.9))
1 - (0.1 * 0.2 * 0.1)
1 - 0.002

99.8% damage reduction against incoming damage? (ignoring damage types and etc)

Pasting my answer from another question ;) .

Damage reduction from different sources stacks multiplicatively, so the % of damage taken is multiplied (eg, DR applied 1 after the othe)r.

1. eg -(90%*50%) == 1-(0.1*0.5) == -95%. The only times it stacks additively is from mods and armour, eg, Aviator, Toxin_Resist, Adaptation, ect.
  2. A note on Adaptation: it builds up multiple stacks, but only reduces the dominate damage from a single enemy, so if an enemy deals (60 Puncture/20 Impact/20 Slash/ 50 Heat), only puncture will be reduced by the stacks, for that enemy. Particularly relevant against enemies with added elemental buffs.
  3. Bare in mind, there is a minimum damage per shot value, that cannot be reduced further.

17 hours ago, McCIoud said:

damage reduction will use the highest reduction, then all damage reduction after that will be reduced.

No, sorry, that's just not the case.

Different sources of DR will be applied one after the other (eg (x -90%) -90% == 0.1 *x).
Same source (only counts mods and armour. from different sources. as this) stack additively.

Mod DR can reach 10%, however only by using adaptation and as adaptation only reduces one damage type per enemy and almost every enemy deals multiple types of damage, there are only one of two enemies where you can become immune to their damage.

11 hours ago, WiseGuard said:

A bit of theoretical side note question.
If I had Adaptation at 90%, total reduction from armor at 80%, Shield of Shadows at 90%, would it become this:

1 - ((1-0.9) * (1-0.8) * (1-0.9))
1 - (0.1 * 0.2 * 0.1)
1 - 0.002

99.8% damage reduction against incoming damage? (ignoring damage types and etc)

Yes, although, bear in mind adaptation only provides DR against a specific enemy for it's dominate damage type, regardless of if you have stacks for the other types.

So while that calculation is correct, for any enemy that deals more than one damage type (almost every enemy), it'll get more complicated.

Archived