Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Enhanced Graphics Engine

[DE]Steve

19 hours ago, Micheal1014 said:

what files exactly did you delete since I am having the same problem as you 

In C:\users\*your username*\appdata\local\warframe\ there were three files, DS.cfg, Editor.cfg, and EE.cfg that contain most of your warframe settings, I deleted those three, and now warframe looks mostly like it's supposed to, no more super pixelated reflections and things like that.

Admittedly DS.cfg did NOT reappear(the other two did), I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it dosn't seem to be hurting anything.

I found the suggestion to delete these three on some reddit help thread from 2016 about a different problem, but it seemed worth a shot.

It only takes seconds to copy them out of the folder, and re-launch warframe, and if it dosnt work like you want, just move them back.

Edited by enizer

Sorry to hear that, good luck finding a fix.

To be fair I'm still seeing some weirdness like AA stops working if I stand still.
But my bugs like AF being always off, and reflections being rendered at what looks like 360p were fixed by resetting the .cfg files, those were the worst offenders and made the game look like it was from 2000.

Edited by enizer

On 2020-10-06 at 12:35 PM, [DE]Steve said:

Hide contents

CETUS BEFORE:
Cetus_Before.png
CETUS AFTER:
Cetus_After.png

PLAINS OF EIDOLON BEFORE:
POE_Before.png

PLAINS OF EIDOLON AFTER:
POE_After.png

Toast. While it is our intention to phase out the old system we do intend to keep performance and scalability a priority in the new rendering engine. While the new system is dramatically faster for dynamic lighting and shadows, these are not a ‘free lunch’ (**) in any system and we will be vigilant to add additional options giving you the flexibility to tune the new system’s performance for the best Warframe experience possible.

RTX ON? What’s next? Phasing out the legacy system will allow us to focus our efforts on one. This will open the doors for future exploration in new technologies. There’s a lot going on in ray-tracing and machine-learning augmentation of rendering… stay tuned!. 

(*) Technically the old system would render dynamic lights in batches of three. So scene CPU/GPU complexity would double for every 3 lights.

(**) Realtime shadows require you to render the scene from the ‘lights perspective’. This is much faster than the main scene but is extra GPU workload to consider.

this is very interesting, did you custom draw some shadows? In the cetus location from the pic the warframe looks amazing, but some of the object shadows seem too solid, but holy beezus those reflections are awesome. Is the water going to get re textures later? Some enb looking stuff?

Have not found a reliable fix for, or a way to reproduce the "nearsighted mode" bug, does anyone else experience it?
So far I'm mostly getting it in busy missions where it would be rude to stop and run tests.

Still having AA issues, particularly on floor texture lines, and AF issues in rare instances, best example of both of these is the relay dock area:

Spoiler

d6n6cMn.gif

That is with AA on SMAA(medium) and AF on 8x(the highest it will go)

On the new updates, great job on the DX12 mode, much higher FPS overall in crowded/busy areas and no crashes at all so far, and the new lighting/shadows do look great.

Edited by enizer

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say this: I turned the thing on and began streaming on Discord. Went through a few missions, movement was a bit slowed down but I figured it was due to loading because going a 2nd time through the same area worked better. Then I left the computer that way (still streaming) and went to sleep. Went to work, came back home, continued to play and was crushed by a pink (?!) screen of death. Upon every startup I'd get the same pink screen with different errors and memory dumps. I'm now in the process of reinstalling Windows and I'm not turning this feature on again... old graphics look just fine.

Also, I hope the setting switches back to normal upon restarting the game. (as I remember reading in a previous post)

• 1 month later...

Been playing the new enhanced beta graphical engine on my potato and in pretty much every other area except free roam (Orb Vallis, Plains of Eidolon, Deimos landscape, the Railjack free flight) I have smooth 60fps, but 20-30fps in the free roam parts, disabling Dynamic Lighting but leaving all the rest on gets me back to 60fps.

It's a shame that there's such a discrepancy, I want to have it on for where it doesn't cost me much at all, or some setting to influence how well handles in the free roam areas, but at least it's not too much of a hassle to toggle it on/off midgame at the moment.

(win10x64bit, intel i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz 4xcore, nvidia 840m 2GB VRAM, 12GB RAM)
(960x540p, vsync ON, fullscreen, enhanced beta, all ON and on HIGH except: AA, Tesselation, Motion Blur, Depth of Field, Glare, Film Grain, Color Correction, Bloom, Experimental Flip Model, some reduced visual effect intensity and no screen shake)

Edited by SnuggleBuckets
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like how the new engine adds reflections where none even should be. The floor in Cetus is old, worn and dusty, why would it be glossy?

If I play, I do it without bloom or dynamic lighting (and on classic. I simply like it better) because someone removed the adaptive exposure toggle, made it autoexposure and the lighting is unbearable for a bunch of people... I'd love to go back to my old "all enabled" settings, but I simply can't because of glaring lights even though glare is disabled.

I'm worried what those settings that I disbled for my personal health will still be able to negate once the new graphics engine becomes mandatory.

Edit: And nope, I'm not running a potato.

Edited by Silescere
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2021-03-12 at 10:35 AM, PLASTICA-MAN said:

Hi. Do we have any ETA or infos about when Ray Tracing will come to PC and next-gen consoles?

They still didnt fix ( yet) blured reflexions options for advanced graphic engine ( and because of that all metallic reflections look ugly and pixelated) and you want Ray Tracing?

• 4 weeks later...
Le 20/03/2021 à 10:58, razorr974 a dit :

They still didnt fix ( yet) blured reflexions options for advanced graphic engine ( and because of that all metallic reflections look ugly and pixelated) and you want Ray Tracing?

This is recent: https://wccftech.com/warframe-xbox-series-call-of-tempestarii-qa-one-step-closer-to-crossplay/

You've previously teased the addition of ray tracing to Warframe. How is that coming along? When ray tracing is added to the game, will it be just for PC or next-gen consoles as well?

Lesley: That’s always a great question. Our Creative Director Steve Sinclair mentioned in a Tweet last fall -- regarding our new rendering engine -- that “phasing out the legacy system will allow us to focus our efforts on one. This will open the door for future exploration of new technologies. There’s a lot going on in ray-tracing and machine augmentation of rendering...stay tuned.” That’s pretty much the latest news I can share.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Please do not fix a running system. Everytime I read something about "optimizations" in patch notes, the game becomes less fluid for me.

While I already have problems keeping 60fps in most environments (normal mission - open worlds already sub 60fps) on my "toaster" on 1440x900 (*) everything turned off except Bloom, FXAA and FOV 90, I recently switched to Enhanced Mode and was quite shocked by the Slideshow I got. Not to mention longer loading times too.

If normal render engine really gets deactivated, I guess it will have a huge impact on the numbers of people able to play the game in a satisfying way (Slideshow is not satisfying).

I don't think the enhanced engine can be optimized to run smoothly on lower-end-systems. Anyway I really hope I'm wrong in this one.

(*) This already leads to other problems like overlapping HUD items e.g. the Heat-meter on Volatile Missions, which is overlapped constantly by transmissions. Also when I equip a Sentinel or Warframe, the list covers half the screen. Lower resolutions make it even worse.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wirecard said:

Please do not fix a running system. Everytime I read something about "optimizations" in patch notes, the game becomes less fluid for me.

While I already have problems keeping 60fps in most environments (normal mission - open worlds already sub 60fps) on my "toaster" on 1440x900 (*) everything turned off except Bloom, FXAA and FOV 90, I recently switched to Enhanced Mode and was quite shocked by the Slideshow I got. Not to mention longer loading times too.

If normal render engine really gets deactivated, I guess it will have a huge impact on the numbers of people able to play the game in a satisfying way (Slideshow is not satisfying).

I don't think the enhanced engine can be optimized to run smoothly on lower-end-systems. Anyway I really hope I'm wrong in this one.

(*) This already leads to other problems like overlapping HUD items e.g. the Heat-meter on Volatile Missions, which is overlapped constantly by transmissions. Also when I equip a Sentinel or Warframe, the list covers half the screen. Lower resolutions make it even worse.

Time to upgrade your hardware, you cant ask DE to optimize game for 10+ years old hardware, they have to keep up with standards even Warframe is decade back in some aspect of graphics while having DX12 support

Still dont understand why we have dynamic shadows in open areas but not in rest of game

Edited by Myscho

3 hours ago, Myscho said:

Time to upgrade your hardware

The hardware i got is not that ancient (~1.5yo) but rather low-end. Not everyone can afford buying new highend stuff like every 2 years, especially when even low end graphics cards are insanely priced like nowadays. And excluding those people from the game will just shorten the player base, thats what I'm guessing. (However If you wish to make a donation so i can buy new stuff, feel free to dm me. 👀) 👍

8 hours ago, wirecard said:

Not everyone can afford buying new highend stuff like every 2 years,

Game developers dont care about that

I bought GTX 1060 6GB like 4 years ago and still manage run Warframe 1080p DX12 Enhanced engine on 100+fps and that graphic card is far from high, is not all about buying high end

On my old System (R5-1600/1050ti/16GB/B450) it run smoothly with around 60-80fps all maxed out but without motion blur and depth of field on the "classic" engine with DX11.

Takes this settings to my new system (R5-5600x/RX6600xt/32GB/B550) and noticed some more and deeper frame drops when it comes to screen full of effects, explosions and so. Then I switched to "enhanced" and DX12 and now I got 120fps cap all the way. Since the texture update everything looks more nicely then ever before.

• 7 months later...

I just upgraded my GPU to RTX 3080 and I am seeing microstutters - FPS dips/spikes. My old RX 480 doesn't get this microstutters and is really smooth. So I am guessing the Enhanced Engine doesn't scale well to high end cards?

14 hours ago, ignHree said:

I just upgraded my GPU to RTX 3080 and I am seeing microstutters - FPS dips/spikes. My old RX 480 doesn't get this microstutters and is really smooth. So I am guessing the Enhanced Engine doesn't scale well to high end cards?

Seems more like a driver issue, than a problem with the engine. I have the same graphics card and things are perfectly smooth.

Also, Necropost.

• 3 weeks later...