Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Enhanced Graphics Engine

[DE]Steve

This is a prime example of how to communicate with your audience/Playerbase, give us the facts and explain to us in detail why you are doing it and even feel us a bit about stuff behind the curtain to make us understand even better. I hope we can see stuff like this more often, not only about technical stuff also the rest of the game, it really is what we need. I know you often say you are really open with us about everything and to be fair, this is often the case, but more than a couple times these past months (years) we have sadly seen situation, where is clear openness was not there (at lest not in the beginning) which then lead to anger and confusion, which then often got ignored which just lead to more anger and confusion, I really hope we - you - can leave this phase behind you and become what we and you want you to become and make this game as great as it can be.

Much love

You guys also should implement a new antialiasing method other than TAA which makes the game blurry. In addition; everything looks blurry with TAA even while standing still on the contrary to SMAA which does not blur the game at all, and is the current method I am using.

Edited by -Arcturus.

I think the graphic on Warframe is already very nice. Although new improvements shows little difference if don't go notice it but it's always nice to get improvement. Though the tree leaves in PoE are still mapped on plain rectangle polygon like decades ago.

The department that did all the graphic stuffs are very good already. As you knew too, what really need improvement are the departments doing the drop rates, mission planning, resources economy, warframes' abilities etc... all the stuffs that frustrated players and had them complaining. Those are the areas that really need huge improvements.

• Like 1

there definately is no more cpu usage at all..i tried it enhanced on and classic..there is NO difference in cpu usage at all.

there is however tons more shadows..

and i feel it to be more gpu usage 

but also there is NO extra gpu usage on or off

fps is only a slight 10 fps differences up and down

i did this in cetus with about 20 people running around here

to say this is VERY GOOD ENHANCEMENT

This is on a ryzen 1700 oc + gtx 1070

57 minutes ago, -Arcturus. said:

You guys also should implement a new antialiasing method other than TAA which makes the game blurry. In addition; everything looks blurry with TAA even while standing still on the contrary to SMAA which does not blur the game at all, and is the current method I am using.

Or add support for Render scale higher than 100%, so you can render game in higher res than your screen resolution, something like SuperSampling AA

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Myscho said:

Or add support for Render scale higher than 100%, so you can render game in higher res than your screen resolution, something like SuperSampling AA

I really support this opinion, and it should not be hard to implement as even some of the older games I came across when I was looking for indie games had this option, besides, it is almost the same thing as Nvidia DSR. Furthermore I also think that it should increase the GPU utilization which in turn may increase framerates, though I may be wrong.

Edited by -Arcturus.

Great Post, Steve! Is this good news or bad news for the Switch Port? What is the long-term plan for it?

It's amazing what the small thing manages to push out, but Switch has to be the bottleneck by now? Will Warframe one day be incompatible with the Switch? Will there be Switch Pro only titles? I have a constant low level fear of being left behind, please get cross-save working before you discontinue Switch support ;)

Edited by (NSW)Kaffeebohnson

@[DE]SteveEverything looks great. I've noticed one minor issue though.

Static decorations like noggles, pedistals and so on leave no reflections in the orbiter. They do have reflections when "classic" is enabled. Roombas have reflections as they should when they move, both in classic and with the enhanced engine.

Other places seem to work fine. Have done some Iso Vaults on Deimos, things simply look better compared to classic, no issues noticed. Then did some flying around in PoE and OV, same deal there, no issues detected. Felt like the loadtimes both into and out of the open zones were faster with the enhanced engine aswell. UI also feels more responsive, though that can have to do with other optimization changes in the patch itself.

Only graphical options not enabled for me are Color Correction and Depth of Field. Everything else is on with settings ranging from medium to max. The setting that are at medium are simply particle related to easy up on eye strain.

sidenote: I also seem to have no issues with exposure as others report, neither with classic or enhanced engine.

edit: To clarify this is with a RTX2070, i7-9600k, 32gb RAM and the game installed on a SSD. Latest drivers and windows 10 version 2004 fully updated.

Edited by SneakyErvin

14 hours ago, Timothy_Mark said:

this is awesome and all but why do i have a feeling this will destroy low end laptops and pcs.... why....

Because you are not the only one that has been reading up on the drawbacks of "deferred" rendering / "deferred" lighting.

Broadly put, it trades a extra 'buffers' (meaning a lot of VRAM and ditto bandwidth) for a some gain when you have a lot of *dynamic* lights.

When there are few or none it is just a more expensive framefactory to go through (lower peak&average framerate when not capped). It does not improve for your *static* lights, you know fixed "scene lights", which you should already have lightmaps for. And does not help for shadows.

That tradeoff is bad news for many graphics cards, and complete murder for 'integrated' graphics, where you are using system ram - sharing the bandwidth, with the CPU that is already busy running the game, for the same system ram. Hello Intel HD and G/U APU Ryzen.

I'm getting the feeling that someone is going overboard on "must increase theoretical FPS gain in a few cases" for opening up the door to a marginal fidelity increase and probably massive overuse of dynamic lights - which we won't be able to enjoy in combat, only in after the fact screenshots.

I also feel it is time - you've had enough time to admit that there are problems, re the PSA thread about forced "auto exposure" - to point out that that lighting is bad(*) in many places and situations. Not sure what you are doing. Sometimes it looks like a case of "dynamic contrast" gone bad and sometimes one just goes 'wtf, how did this **** pass muster?'

You need to step up and bring thoses things in order. I have a bunch of screenshots that I can provide if that helps.

When I say is it bad, I mean it is in places some of the following:

1) wrong. Detailed comments about actual screenshots is really needed to point things out. There are even a few spots where I'd swear it looks like someone flipped a sign, adding black instead of adding light, making parts that should be dark shaded become brighter, and things that should be illuminated look like it was hit by a "anti-light".

2) highly inconsistent. When you change the view a bit, like when getting closer/more distant, turning or getting a bright object in view, it changes, often drastically, how bright or dark the rest of the frame looks or in some case how the dark parts look. This particularly is annoying. It is telltale sign of a per frame adaptation, which invariably will deliver wildly varying results, and it is the reason that we liked having "auto exposure" OFF to avoid these huge unnatural swings in brightness.

This problem is taken to the extreme with some bright weapons and "spells", where you get what might best be compared to the "flashbang effect" (aka "whiteout") or the inverted flashbang, blacking out everything but the hyperbright effect, but is true even for no "effects" in view.

The general issue becomes that, object 'A', will appear very different depending on what else is in the view that should have no effect on how 'A' looks (not shining a light on it, not blocking lights shining on it).

ps: the option to turn screen shake off is a scam. There is still lots of screenshake:

*) loading screens

*) weapon recoil shake. FFS, shake the reticle/crosshair position (and rattle the frame), not the whole view. Or do like PS2 & OverWatch: enlarge the reticle to reflect the "level of shake". Actual viewshaking is a **** experience (in addition to being a hazard for epileptics) and that is why they do not do it.

• Like 5

When Steve posts, you know it's something huge. It's awesome to see the game level up every year, but phasing out the legacy engine will kick me out of the game for good (cause i play on a vintage calculator and can't afford better because third world country and lgbt). I understand that it has to happen, tho! Good luck on the next gen launch! I'll be back when I'm able to.

The new engine seems to have made some existing issues worse than before. For example the issue seen here. Before when bloom was enabled it would show black squares when there was too much to render (eg heavy slam attack particles or multiple vauban vortexes). In the beta engine it no longer shows black squares, instead it turns the entire game into black and white (with the exception of pickups) untill a loading screen has occured.9r3XJ0E.jpg

• Like 3

Whoa was WF forward rendered this whole time? Some very impressive performance you guys got out of it with all the dynamic effects if thats truly the case. Does WF now take advantage of render fencing and pipelining? I imagine that alone would do a lot to help with perceived performance.

6 hours ago, -Arcturus. said:

Deferred rendering allows them to properly/more easily implement MSAA

Edited by TheSomepotato

I don't know why so many people complain about the new graphics. If you don't want to offer 100 or 150 bucks for a graphics card you may should do something else then gaming.

I also don't have a high end machine but with a 1050ti it's possible to run the game at max settings (without motion blur because its stupid) and 90-120fps.

If the fps sink to 60 while new graphics come its still good to go. And when it's too slow, then a new card with more performance will cost the same.

Thank you DE for working on an on on your game.

15 minutes ago, SirBSpecial said:

I don't know why so many people complain about the new graphics. If you don't want to offer 100 or 150 bucks for a graphics card you may should do something else then gaming.

I also don't have a high end machine but with a 1050ti it's possible to run the game at max settings (without motion blur because its stupid) and 90-120fps.

If the fps sink to 60 while new graphics come its still good to go. And when it's too slow, then a new card with more performance will cost the same.

Thank you DE for working on an on on your game.

Because new visuals is not what this game needs any time soon, we already are in a stage when people are more hyped about tennogen rather than .. anything new from DE themselfs. So its nice and all we now how better looking plains or fortuna .. now give us a reason to go back.

Edited by Swagernator22663
  • Like 4

@DeSteve This "improvement" while pretty, does a massive hit to my GPU and my FPS goes to slide-show mode.
Seriously, I could care less about real-time shadows and reflections when my 2GB vid-card (and 16GB RAM on CPU), which is using the present rendering engine is doing JUST fine.

If you are going to force this "Improvement" (/sarcasm) on all players, give us the option to nix the resource hogging.
Not all of us have the $500 to $1500 to buy 6 to 8 gig vid cards... especially during plague season.  You keep telling us to be sympathetic to DE's situation with the work-from-home; be sympathetic to us PC players who can not afford to upgrade to the biggest-fastest-strongest-MOST EXPENSIVE tech.😡

Thank you in advance (if you allow us not-so-financially solvent players to keep playing your game).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hell88 said:

i hope really everything will move to "next gen" , not only shadows and rtx.... a better AI , A LOT better textures ( the count of polygons is really low on many surfaces/objects/enemies) , Directx 12 / Vulkan to squeeze out new hardware that is coming. Indeed is important scaling the engine , but please dont make the same mistakes of Microsoft with Halo....Be too much inclusive will only disappoint everyone. Who have powerful hardware /next gen  console will have just crappy cross-gen game , who have potatos pc will have too heavy game in every case. In 2021 DE will need to make a decision , stay where they are or make a step forward.

ps. i read of many people having potatoes PC that have fear of not be able to play anymore , well guys if you can't invest money in your hobby (gaming) maybe is time to change hobby or platform , people can't be anchored to your low income.

This is classist in the extreme.  Your self-entitlement is showing.

• Like 5

All of this looks really nice, but are you guys ever going to fix Umbra's scarf clipping into his back?

Also, I can't be the only one who thinks Excalibur could really use a visual rework or touch up. Just something to make him look more similar to the Excalibur we see in the trailer.

• Like 1