Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Enhanced Graphics Engine

[DE]Steve

For some reason things look less clear for me than before, especially going out in the plains sometimes makes everything feel blurry, and even on maxed out settings I can see grass and such loading in only around 15m-20m away from me.

Also there seems to be an intermittent glitch where AF seems to just fail completely, and the floor detail loads in around 3m away just like it's completely off,
I haven't spotted what causes that exactly.

But has anyone else noticed this?
The game basically going into near sighted mode at random around 20% of the time is very unnerving.

My RX 5700 XT was already at FPS cap 99% of the time, so I cant personally testify about any performance improvements.
I am on the latest drivers ofc, and default driver settings.

Edited by enizer

On 2020-10-06 at 3:50 PM, R4zorCRO said:

I can barely launch the game at minimum req, dont ruin it for me

Are you saying that they should not build the game and move towards the future. All platforms are moving to "Next Gen" engines so you're saying they should not move forward since you're not planning to update your 10 year old computer. Are you still Running Windows XP!! 

I am still waiting for the PS4 Pro Optimization's they promised. Haven been a PS4 player and recently moved to PC I am eagerly waiting for Cross-save to start playing again on PC. There is no way I will Start playing from scratch the 1000+ hrs I have invested in this game since Launch on console 6+ years ago. 

New PC, Ryzen 9 3900x , Nvidia RTX 2080 Super,  So there are players out there wishing to get the new engines ready to begin playing again. 

• Like 1

On 2020-10-12 at 10:31 AM, Justin_Case001 said:

That said, I do want to say a few words about game development and ethics when it comes to this sort of thing.  I'm very glad to see that you guys are concerned with performance and aren't just striving to make the game look as good as technology can possibly allow, framerate be dammed.  I really appreciate that.  But still, I have to say, it worries me that games like this see constantly evolving and improving graphics.  I mean, to a certain extent that's okay--I'm glad that the game looks better than it did seven years ago.  However, I think it's a bit cruel and unethical to continuously improve the graphics, thus pulling the rug out from under many older players when their machines can't keep up, thus forcing them to upgrade their hardware or put the game in the freezer until they can afford to do so.  I used to be able to run this game buttery smooth on my laptop.  Those quaint days are long gone.  I moved to a new gaming desktop about four years ago, and things were great for awhile, but I was already beginning to feel the weight with some games, hence my upgrade to ram and graphics last year.  Things are happy again, but for how long?  Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I really think that gaming tech moves too fast.  Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it's right or fair to push it on gamers so quickly, forcing them to spends hundreds or even thousands practically every year to keep up.  It's frickin' crazy.  I feel like a shiny gaming rig should last you more than a couple of years.

Now, I realize that Warframe is a different ballgame than a traditional pay-for AAA game, like, say, The Witcher 3 or something, but I still think it's unfair to evolve it ad infinitum to where veteran players log in one day and can't run the thing anymore.  It's not just the money, either--computer upgrades can be a b*tch.  I don't expect to be able to play the newest games if I don't keep up with the tech, but I'd like the peace of mind of knowing that I can continue to play the game I've known and loved for so many years.  I mean, honestly, how good does it need to look?  Isn't it good enough?  I sure think so.

On this note I completely disagree and i believe this is backwards logic. I know not every ones finance is the same and I don't expect it too, but I believe the consumer in this case has it backwards or not correct. Working as a Tech professional for over 30+ years, the upgrade path is alot clearer today than it's ever been in history. If you buy a PC today that can barely run a game today on "High", don't expect 5 years from now you will be able to play games in 5 years on high or Ultra. If you want some strength in your purchase you need to buy a Pc that can run games in Ultra today and in 5 years it will at the very least run games between "High-Ultra". This is why we still have 1080TI's still running many modern games great still. Because at that time those cards were the top notch.  You cannot by a bargain basement card (or run on an intergrated GPU) then complain about why do I have to upgrade every year. You were never able to play the games at high and more so why would in 2 years you still be able to play the larger games still on high. Things only go down not UP!! 

That said the one true exception is "NEW technologies" like Ray tracing where there is a hardware dependency that did not exist before. The good part of these new technologies' is if you cant use it you don't have to enable it so you don't actually loose out. But that 1080 TI will still play the game.  Cyberpunk will play just fine on a 1080 TI (march 10 2017, original 1080 was 2016).

Edited by primelink

I have been getting a skewed distortion divide line through my screen when in motion, (Screen Tearing) panning the camera or bullet jumping. Every movement cause the distortion to move down the screen, top to bottom. It is like the image is folded in on itself at the divide line. Motion blur switched off Vsync switch off. Classic or Beta engine, this motion blur occurs.

Edited by CuChulainnWD

On 2020-10-24 at 5:53 PM, primelink said:

Are you saying that they should not build the game and move towards the future. All platforms are moving to "Next Gen" engines so you're saying they should not move forward since you're not planning to update your 10 year old computer. Are you still Running Windows XP!! 

So what exactly are the benefits from changing the engine and increasing the system requirements? "Oh, but it's new" is not an answer, by the way. The novelty of something is unrelated to whether it's good or not.

Tell me: how long do you need to stare at the screenshots in the OP to see a difference - and is it even a good difference in the first place? It takes me a few seconds of looking at these stationary images to notice anything at all - which in this case is blinding glare on the Excal's shoulders and his Braton (and therefore a very bad thing, I don't appreciate being blinded). In a game as fast as this, you're not going to notice tiny little details because you're too busy jumping around.

• Like 3

On 2020-10-07 at 3:41 AM, Aadi880 said:

Wouldn't this end up an increase on the minimum requirements to run warframe? If so, then by how much?

It certainly would, and it depends on the levels you set. More intense light tracing will increase the latency of the frame due to tracing more paths. As said, this would be in sets of three. So having 3 dynamic lights is as intense as having one. 6 as intense as 4, but twice as GPU intensive as 3. The more lights you have enabled in a scene, the less impacting overall each additional light is. And since AMD had levelled the playing field by focusing on tracing elements ingame, the less excuse there is not to upgrade to a better card. I play on a RX550 with a bulldozer FX-6350 BE and 1600Mhz RAM OC'd to 2400, latencies set for 1866, and voltage sets of 15% increase.  On the old engine, I was able to get out about 120FPS in a multiplayer level select mission. But if I entered the orb vallis, plains or drift in online mode, my frames instantly drop to 10 or less with even a few people around. 

The heavy workload assigned to light mapping is too big for older cards. You would need at least a Pci-x16 3.0 using all 16 lanes running with:

- 2k+ stream compute units

-196-bitrate on bare minimum 196GB/s memory bandwidth

- Minimum of 4GB dedicated video memory (on the card)

These would net you approx. 60-75 FPS at full 1080P on standard settings in the new engine. The extra memory bandwidth is to account for the tracers being passed through the stream processors and back to prevent loop lock. This occurs because a ray trace must wait for the standard video output to be rendered, and then trace light off reflective maps. If the bandwidth is only good for the resolution, then you have to wait to get the rays for that scene. Hence halving the frames displayed per second. 

The minimums, however, won't change. The WF Devs have a heart and understand that plebs like me who dream of new shiny pc gear, will have to wait until absolutely necessary to upgrade. (Which is exactly what I'm about to do now :D)

AMD's new Big NAVI releases will come with dedicated ray tracing units that run in serial cross parallel with the stream processors, meaning after this release, ray tracing will be the norm. Those ray units being dedicated to calculating lightmap angles, means less floating point operations in the stream processor, which means less memory bleed, and thankfully, less spline artifacting.

The current units being produced are the testament to the end of old style gaming graphics being dedicated computers. They just cannot contend with dedicated streams that are interleaved at render time.

A good example of a new card that is the tombstone to current state of gaming dev, and the signalling point of the new, is the 5700XT.

Its memory bandwidth is far greater to interleave: texture, streaming and raster operaters with the compute units. Don't get me wrong, It kicks th crap outta anything else when running Crysis (:P), but it is a far reach from a clean running card. For starters, it runs with 225W power consumption standard. It can be overclocked, and it may be able to be hacked to get better performance out of it. But it reached the theoretical end to the ability to serialise memory units with the processors. So IOps is extremely high for the memory on these boards. Their lifespan will be far lower than previous generations of games running the current state which is to use maps of floating point integers which have an exponential error that must be attuned for over time. Hence the leakage of assigned memory for textures. Their move to separate the texturing, rendering and data streaming units and interleave them through the compute units is actually game changing, because with their new die, it will effectively be two graphics dies on a single chip. Halving the load on each one. Less voltage needed, less thermal dissipation, and they will be set in parallel to stacked block of memory, like a cube, instead of the flat one dimensional memory chips we are used to seeing. This will lower the degradation on the cards long term, and mean more can be produced far cheaper due to less thermal returns in warranty. 

As a game dev, this is exactly the step they need to begin introducing raytraced lighting. More people are upgrading and using AMD CPU+GPU packages that actually work in tandem to allow greater accessibility between the CPU RAM and the GPU compute units. The pci-x 4.0 standard gives them the new leeway to run more from the CPU directly to the renderer, and to run lighting operation quickly on a dedicated device that act together as one unit to produce a single render/trace frame.

What is questionable, however, is how well Vulkan will be utilised post release. If devs begin to use Vulkan extensively, I think we will start seeing some new benching games of the like that Crysis once was lol

I for one will be chuffed to be able to raytrace whil running low detail. The lighting will cover a lot of need for pizel density, and will actually run far lighter on the newer cards coming later this year :D

Dear Steve, this problem with reflex in the metal objects an floor its not good, is pixeled and showing artifacts in over metal objects, please fix this, this beta engine graphics is beautifull, but need they work in the metal reflex.

My Settings with Beta Engine Graphics.

Warframe_2020-10-27_20-00-56-71.png?widt

the Settings with Beta Engine Graphics of a friend.

unknown.png

the Settings with Beta Engine Graphics of another friend.

unknown.png?width=843&height=474

and the Settings with Beta Engine Graphics of other another friend (is minimal but is notable this issue).

unknown.png?width=843&height=474

PD: I know, this graphics engine is are an Beta work still, but i show these details to improve.

THX

So it's the reflections that are broken?

My eyes are getting tired playing Warframe ever since update 29.2.2, as I'm seeing things like this everywhere(although cherry picked example, this is the worst one yet)

5bUvAXd.jpgIt feels like the problem is not limited to just metals though, they are simply the clearest example.

This is at 1440p, everything at max settings except depth of field motion blur and dynamic resolution scaling are disabled.

Edited by enizer
  • Like 1

hace 16 minutos, enizer dijo:

So it's the reflections that are broken?

My eyes are getting tired playing Warframe ever since update 29.2.2, as I'm seeing things like this everywhere(although cherry picked example, this is the worst one yet)

5bUvAXd.jpgIt feels like the problem is not limited to just metals though, they are simply the clearest example.

This is at 1440p, everything at max settings except depth of field motion blur and dynamic resolution scaling are disabled.

is this problem still? oh god.   look it this, is terrible. 

All graphics cards are from NVIDIA GTX 750TI and GTX 1060. 

Yep, I'm on AMD Radeon 5700 XT, latest drivers, default driver settings, and much of the game looks like Anisotropic Filtering is set to disabled regardless of it's ingame setting.

You can miss it with most normal textures, but things like grates, nets, and other grid like surfaces look blurry at a distance(but do work up close) and especially metals look just wrong.

As you can imagine I'm hoping this gets fixed soon, this cant be intentional.

And  yes, that screenshot was taken just about an hour ago, I specifically took the screenshot and went to post it because that is the clearest example of my problem I ever found.

Edited by enizer

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-11-22 at 12:26 AM, BastyTHz said:

will pc get ps5 graphics ?

Reveal hidden contents

r/Warframe - Warframe PS5 vs PC (all setings in ultra) PS5 looks better?

and VS

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Odd, usually PC is used to test features like this, and consoles don't get them untill we have already seen them on PC first, and dealt with early day bugs related to them.

The lighting does look better in those screenshots, and especially I'm not finding colored lighting and such where I remember seeing them when the new graphics were first being tested.

If anyone knows where that went I would love to know.

In relation to my earlier posts, at least part of the problem for me, seems to have been the settings files getting mangled by the transit from launcher tickbox to ingame option, manually deleting the *.CFG files found under %localappdata%\Warframe\  seems to have fixed the insane pixelation seen on my page 9 screenshot.

Edited by enizer