Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Undocumented UI change in Deimos update tricked loads of tenno into accidentally curing the cyst.

nonchip

Before the update:
GDHC-7.png

After the update:

8sufF3E.jpg

Given that

• the button has now the exact same UI as talking to any other NPC
  • the Deimos upgrade did a bunch of helminth related stuff
  • this change isn't mentioned at all in the patchnotes

I, as well as other tenno (at least according to the complains in region chat), fell for the "hey lemme see what this dialog is" idea, and, since this is pretty much the ONLY thing in the whole game not requiring a confirmation dialog (hell even equipping one of my 80 duplicate relics asks me a bunch of times over), accidentally cured the cyst.

Support just keeps telling me it was my own fault for not reading the patchnotes (the ones that didn't mention the change, mind you), and refuses to do anything about it, telling me to instead throw money at the problem by getting a new copy of the cured warframe, and to report my feedback here. Given the fact the warframe support even has a category for "i was so dumb and sold something i now want back please" i rather disagree on this decision, especially since they claim this to be an "intended irreversible gameplay mechanic", which, no, it's not, it's an undocumented misleading UI change. it would've been gameplay if i had any chance of knowing what might happen (like before the update when it at least said what it does on the button)

pretty sure if in the next update someone screws up and makes Konzu's dialog suddenly consign your pet, "hey it's intended to be gone after you consign it, just get a new one" won't be the correct answer either, and the only difference between that hypothetical and what just happened here is that this is a UI screwup tricking people instead of a scripting screwup, but the effect is the same: i press a button that says one thing and instead another thing happens that i can't do anything about.

5 minutes ago, Keiyadan said:

wow just wow isnt it just "cure zyst" in the menu after you open it what else sould have it been?

i thought exactly the same. it's just logical to think "[X] Some Name" means "Press X to talk to Some Name". but the thing is, there's no menu. i pressed that button that says "Helminth" and immediately got the "cyst getting violently ripped out of my throat" animation.

and support says:

We know that as a player, these changes can sometimes be both surprising and frustrating however, your specific request to undo the action of an intended game mechanic is not possible as it circumvents the finality of such action. 

(which is BS because you can't tell me that's intended)

Furthermore, any recent changes made to the game are outlined in the Build Notes on the Warframe launcher.

(which don't mention the change)

For your case, we can only suggest that you try and craft the warframe again and have it infected.

(in other words: just buy another currently vaulted prime frame so we don't have to do our job)

15 minutes ago, nonchip said:

I, as well as other tenno (at least according to the complains in region chat), fell for the "hey lemme see what this dialog is" idea, and, since this is pretty much the ONLY thing in the whole game not requiring a confirmation dialog (hell even equipping one of my 80 duplicate relics asks me a bunch of times over), accidentally cured the cyst

Odd...

Its supposed to bring up a menu that says "Helminth" and "Cure Cyst" as two separate options. 

1 minute ago, Keiyadan said:

well did you get the heminth segment? 

i did not yet.

2 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

Its supposed to bring up a menu that says "Helminth" and "Cure Cyst" as two separate options. 

it didn't do that for me. and loads of other tenno who complained about it in regionchat at the time.

i can only assume the game went "hey that menu i'm supposed to show only has one option, let's assume the user wanted that"

1 minute ago, nonchip said:

i did not yet.

it didn't do that for me. and loads of other tenno who complained about it in regionchat at the time.

i can only assume the game went "hey that menu i'm supposed to show only has one option, let's assume the user wanted that"

I guess that explains it, in which case, this is a temporary problem

Think about it: A new player when curing the cyst for the first time will have absolutely no idea what "cure cyst" means, just as they won't know what "Helminth" means. Its not like new players or first timers goes off to make a helminth charger when the see a cyst, they will rather want to remove it.

We went through the game knowing what the words "cure cyst" means from experience. New players will go through what the word "Helminth" means from experience.

Game did a terrible job at explaining things before, and still is now lmao.

3 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

I guess that explains it, in which case, this is a temporary problem

pretty sure the menu just not showing then is a bug though. and another reason why support going "nah just buy more stuff" is a bit .... unsupportive.

and another reason to report this feedback to the devs so they're aware.

and i mean, at least "cure cyst" says what it does.

12 minutes ago, nonchip said:

pretty sure the menu just not showing then is a bug though

No it’s not. You don’t yet have two options to choose from. And when you get Helminth segment, interacting with Helminth using a frame without a cyst won’t give you a choice either, your frame will immediately proceed to sitting in the chair.

Anyways, there’s no problem here. You don’t lose your access to the cyst forever. Go to public missions with another non-immune frame or just craft Nidus and get your cyst at will.

4 minutes ago, Xaero said:

You don’t lose your access to the cyst forever.

i do on *that frame*. with no way of knowing beforehand because the menu didn't show. that *is* a problem.

4 minutes ago, Xaero said:

Go to public missions with another non-immune frame

so you're agreeing with support to "just" throw away my valk prime and buy a new one and invest all the time and money i've spent on her AGAIN because of a UI #*!%up? yeah no, i'd call that a problem.

3 minutes ago, nonchip said:

i do on *that frame*. with no way of knowing beforehand because the menu didn't show. that *is* a problem.

so you're agreeing with support to "just" throw away my valk prime and buy a new one and invest all the time and money i've spent on her AGAIN because of a UI #*!%up? yeah no, i'd call that a problem.

You think the cyst gives you some special powers or what? It’s just one pet and ugly looks.

26 minutes ago, Xaero said:

ugly looks

jeff bridges opinion GIF

and even if *you* don't care, that doesn't mean the bug shouldn't be addressed.

if you're just here to go "yeah but *I* don't like the thing anyway" you could've just not bothered joining the topic to begin with, because that's not what this is about.

1 minute ago, nonchip said:

jeff bridges opinion GIF

and even if *you* don't care, that doesn't mean the bug shouldn't be addressed.

if you're just here to go "yeah but *I* don't like the thing anyway" you could've just not bothered joining the topic to begin with, because that's not what this is about.

Ah, so you actually  liked it looks? Should’ve said so from the beginning, I assumed you were misinformed on its usefulness.

6 minutes ago, Xaero said:

Also, there’s no bug.

there is. the bug that prevented me from seeing anything about what "Press X for Helminth" will lead to before i clicked it.

if hiding the menu that asks you to cure the cyst is intended, then the button should still be called "cure cyst" before you get the segment.

Just now, nonchip said:

there is. the bug that prevented me from seeing anything about what "Press X for Helminth" will lead to before i clicked it.

if hiding the menu that asks you to cure the cyst is intended, then the button should still be called "cure cyst" before you get the segment.

That's an overlook. The menu is shown just fine when you have more than one option.

16 hours ago, nonchip said:

so there is a bug. you're literally describing what that word means.

How do I explain this... It’s not a program error, DE just didn’t intend to make the menu appear all the time. They could change it, but the action won’t be described as bug fixing. It’d be just like the change in parazon interaction with larvlings: they introduced ‘hold button to create a lich’ as a means of additional confirmation. That doesn’t mean that former ‘tap button to create a lich’ was a bug.

17 hours ago, nonchip said:

so there is a bug. you're literally describing what that word means.

A bug is an error made my developers via incorrect code, which results in unintentional actions to be done by the game.

What's happening here with the helminth is correct code resulting in intentional actions to be done by the game. Not a bug, and therefore, it is not possible to perform "debugging" on it.

The correct word for it would be an oversight, where the developer does not account for all possible cases that could occur in practice, and where such a case is potentially frequent.

8 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

intentional

except the result of those actions are unintentional. it's not broken code per se, but it results in a broken experience.

also that's still not the point of this topic, but to make them aware of the problem (and the rather unsupportive reaction of the support)

Archived