Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can't complete Deadlock... because of terrible melee design and utter inability to do what the game tells me to.

Argenex

Question

I am really quite honestly, sick of DE screw-balling around with how to access melee.

When they finally pulled their heads out of the sand and let us simply swap to the melee weapon, LIKE ANY NORMAL INTERFACE CHOICE FOR A WEAPON, letting us then

use Left click to attack and Right click to block, things were great.

Now we're back to the lackluster dumb-dumb design from years ago where its bound to a key which you are then forced to spam, nothing like being

forced to spam a key on your keyboard just to attack. This of course makes it more like its an accessory, and not a valid actual weapon choice.

Now I'm trying to do this deadcrock quest, the game tells me to press my melee key, Q, to throw this stupid glaive... sometimes it throws it, sometimes it doesn't.

It also mentions something about "picking up particles" or something, which it doesn't seem to do when I finally manage to get the game to throw the damn thing.

Also there is no energy bar nor interface notification telling me if I have picked up any particles at all.

After flailing around the 20 guys floating around me pew pewing me with unchecked non-stop get in my face aggression, the game finally tells me to press Q to throw

and discharge the Xoris.

/me goes back to flailing around for another 20 minutes before finally getting fed up that nothing has happened, thrown the thing a few times, I GUESS, HARD TO TELL when your screen

is filled with 20 things spamming non-stop crap in your face. Also spammed Q and Heavy attack buttons the whole time.

No Discharge.

/me now feels like going back to uninstalling and enjoying the 30 gigs or so of free space.

What exactly is the thuper sekret squirrel method of using this stupid thing so I can get on with my life and never have to see this stupid quest again?

Dear DE: Please stop designing inside a vacuum.

21 answers to this question

First, you'll need to deplete the health of the Errant Specters inside the Granum Void. "Killing" the Specters will revert them to their Particles Form.

Use the Xoris to hit the Particles Forms (direct hit from base melee attacks/thrown or explosions from the charged Xoris throws) to absorb the Particles Form. You will need three of them to fully charge your Xoris.

Either two ways you can do a charged Xoris detonation after that:

• Heavy Attack

Use a Heavy Attack (whatever key-binding you have as) and another one while the Xoris is in flight.

• Dual Wielding

Hold the melee button and release it just before the reticle turns blue. Press the melee button again to detonate the in-flight charged thrown Xoris.

Detonating a fully charged Xoris will discharge an energy pulse from your Warframe, not the Xoris. This pulse will instantly revert any Errant Specters in range into their Particles Form regardless of their level and health.

Repeat that step against the Protea Specter when she is using her Temporal Anchor (4). You'll need to damage her enough to force her to use the Anchor. The Business will tell you when she is in her Anchored state.

This fight is so bad and confusing I keep having to take breaks to let my wrists rest. 

I have no idea if I'm actually getting anywhere, takes me nearly 5 minutes to charge the xoris because the float particle dudes either magically explode or speed off to unite to maked a more solid floaty dude. I honestly am spending 90% of my time dealing with the floaty clown dudes and just ignoring the specter, since she keeps magically healing to full health whenever she so desires.

Once again, DE tops itself with designing an even worse "boss" fight. This feels like some sort of obnoxious chore and less like a form of entertainment.

hold melee is when u hold the weapon switch button to hold the melee weapon if done right, the aim button becomes block and does not force the weapon to be switched back

to test if ur doing it, try equipping a single handed gun in ur secondary slot and a glaive in the melee slot,  if doe right u should only have the glaive out

artificial difficulty is not challenging. Its annoying.

Protea is a case in point - make the combat difficult, chuck that damn melee weapon to zap the spectres, 3 times, then zap Protea as a normal boss battle, then step back enough to throw the damn melee weapon, then press the right button at the right time and then... repeat. Twice more.

and all the time, you have spectres hassling you and "helpful" advice from The Business telling you what to do when really you just want to say "shut up, I'm busy trying to kill her in the first place". Its hectic, and so unless you know what to do already, you will fail it.

A lot of the boss battles that DE does are like that - "here's the boss, good luck" and its only after you've read the wiki that you realise, oh so that's what I was supposed to do. Why didn't the game give me a hint. Eventually you get to know that the glowing blue bit on a boss is the thing you have to shoot when it glows in order to un-invulnerable them. As new players, you don't have that luxury. I'm not surprised people say its a poor experience when they're left to their own devices to kill a boss with no knowledge of how to do it. I would hazard a guess that most people do the boss runs with other players (who already know how to deal with them) and get the node unlocked basically by watching (or in my case, running towards the boss only to hear Lotus say "well done, the boss is dead, get to extraction" as the other players bullet jumped all the way there and unloaded superweaponry on it to kill it in 2 seconds flat :D

Even then, the invulnerable bosses are not a challenge for the experienced players either - it just requires them to wait for the magic moment, and then unload on the boss. Job done in 4 seconds rather than 2 is all.

The answer is to make melee less meta. Even the glassmaker enemies with their spiky crystals can be taken down with a melee attack, just by getting close and pressing your melee button. There's no skill to that. If you had to hit the crystals specifically, maybe - but melee has no option for that. If you had to shoot the crystals off first, ah, then that slows things down and makes the combat much more interesting. But then people would complain that's annoying too - like the synthesis targets that you have to "shoot" with the scanner 4 times whilst its moving about (though the frustration with the synthesis scans is that it takes too much time to zap the enemy when they're running around)

In fact, TBH the synthesis scans take longer and are harder to achieve than most of the boss battles in the game.

5 hours ago, Argenex said:

typical warframe lame-boss design of "duur I'm invunerable unless you do this

Well, if you look at poor Phorid, the Sergeant, Alad V/Zanuka, and the Hyenas, they evaporate accordingly quickly. Old bosses also had this case too.

We're basically gods, so it's difficult to get something "challenging" aside from artificial difficulty.

1 hour ago, JoJoshuee_DesK said:

Lol, I still wonder how I made that quest on the first try when the update just came out.

I assume you paid attention to what the game told you to do,
and in advance familiarized yourself with the weapon you were forced to use.

:D

Like, Warframe certainly has flaws when it comes to explaining stuff, but this Quest really isn't a prime example.

5 minutes ago, taiiat said:

what you're supposed to do is Charge the Xoris with the floaty woatevers, then shoot Protea until it staggers or falls to a knee or w/e it did (basically not standing up and moving around anymore). then detonate the Xoris on Protea to keep it from Healing that section of the Health Bar.

repeat a few times because Video Games are all Zelda apparently.

I finally got it to die.

It was weird, it would do this back flip in slow motion, and I figured I was supposed to attack it at that point, but it would have no health bars or anything (all empty and grey, but not locked as if invunerable)

And at random times, it would display its health a full health, and other times, only 1 yellow bar. Like basically it seemed to me that the game couldn't figure out what the boss's actual health was at any given moment.

When I got my first opportunity way back when I started the fight, I think I hit it so hard that the game derped out because of a high damage number (when I hit it all the bars stripped instantly)

Sadly it now looks like if I want Protea, I will have to grind indefinitely hoping for part blueprints... HAHA yea riiiight DE, I learned my lesson years ago. no thanks.

This is yet another game mode / aspect I think I'll just stay away from.

Thank you everyone for the help!

what you're supposed to do is Charge the Xoris with the floaty woatevers, then shoot Protea until it staggers or falls to a knee or w/e it did (basically not standing up and moving around anymore). then detonate the Xoris on Protea to keep it from Healing that section of the Health Bar.

repeat a few times because Video Games are all Zelda apparently.

when using a Thrown Melee you can do a Charge Attack at any time to throw it. pressing Melee again at any time while it is in the air will Detonate it.

if Xoris actually propagates from your Warframe that's dumb, because the game is making a big deal about using Thrown Melee Charge Attacks & detonating. i guess i was coincidentally close enough that it worked anyways even though all i was focusing on was detonating right on top of Protea.

6 minutes ago, Duality52 said:

First, you'll need to deplete the health of the Errant Specters inside the Granum Void. "Killing" the Specters will revert them to their Particles Form.

Use the Xoris to hit the Particles Forms (direct hit from base melee attacks/thrown or explosions from the charged Xoris throws) to absorb the Particles Form. You will need three of them to fully charge your Xoris.

Either two ways you can do a charged Xoris detonation after that:

• Heavy Attack

Use a Heavy Attack (whatever key-binding you have as) and another one while the Xoris is in flight.

• Dual Wielding

Hold the melee button and release it just before the reticle turns blue. Press the melee button again to detonate the in-flight charged thrown Xoris.

Detonating a fully charged Xoris will discharge an energy pulse from your Warframe, not the Xoris. This pulse will instantly revert any Errant Specters in range into their Particles Form regardless of their level and health.

Repeat that step against the Protea Specter when she is using her Temporal Anchor (4). You'll need to damage her enough to force her to use the Anchor. The Business will tell you when she is in her Anchored state.

Yea, I've been trying that, she just keeps healing up to full health instantly.

Pretty confused so far.

I figured it was something like the typical warframe lame-boss design of "duur I'm invunerable unless you do this, this, and kiss a butterfly fart for half a second", so I'm not really surprised in that regard.

But what's annoying me is I will remove two of her yellow bars, and she instantly heals them all the way back.

Ive taken her first two bars down several times but she just keeps healing to full. Not sure what to do with that.

Well pretty sure there's an indicator for the xoris being charged, with the crosshair showing 3 glowing blue dots when it's charged and can be discharged, to collect particles to charge for a discharge, any attack from the xoris that hits the specters when they turn blue will do, tbh u don't even need the xoris until the protea fight. If have volt or excalibur it's not that hard either, idk about mag since I didn't have mag yet, but with volt u can just use his 4th ability turning the specters into blue mode then smash attack, or excailbur u could blind then smash attack, or exalted blade them. sry if this doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, Argenex said:

When they finally pulled their heads out of the sand and let us simply swap to the melee weapon, LIKE ANY NORMAL INTERFACE CHOICE FOR A WEAPON, letting us then

use Left click to attack and Right click to block, things were great.

We can still do this. I don’t know what your issue is with it. You hold the button to bring your melee out. Then left click to attack and right click to block. Heavy attack to throw. It’s fairly straightforward.

5 minutes ago, Argenex said:

It also mentions something about "picking up particles" or something, which it doesn't seem to do when I finally manage to get the game to throw the damn thing.

I believe you are meant to explode the Xoris near them. I couldn’t figure out what to do at the time, it just worked. 

Archived