Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why does the Kulstar have such disgusting recoil?

AdunSaveMe

It used to not have any at all, and it was fine. Now, when I fire, it jolts the camera halfway up the screen and it's absolutely horrible.

Why did it need this? It's not realistic, it's not balancing the weapon, it's not fun to use. What other reason could there be for this utterly baffling change? The thing has two shots, it's not as if the recoil is even something you control to land your hits. It's not even really recoil because your shots still hit in the same place; like a lot of "recoil" in Warframe, it is nothing more than random screen shake that isn't satisfying or actually part of the gunplay control. It's pointless.

Why would you ruin this weapon? You haven't even made it less powerful, just nauseating to use.

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Now, when I fire, it jolts the camera halfway up the screen

Aim and the recoil is drastically reduced.

The thing has two shots

It's not even really recoil because your shots still hit in the same place

It works the same as it does for any weapon, recoil doesn't affect the initial shot, only following ones.

BTW, Steady Hands (and the Exilus slot) exists.

Did they change the weapon recently?

Could it be less about balancing the weapon and more about balancing the mods(recoil mods)? I personally would want more weapons to have strong flaws that have to do with how the weapon handles. Like bad reload, magazine size, recoil, spread, fire rate. Would give more reasons to use mods to bump these stats up. BUT I would NOT want it in the current system with so many staple mods. Reducing the amount of staple mods would automatically make QoL mods be more valued too.

The recoil probably doesn't feel like recoil because the auto stabilize is faster than the fire rate of the weapon, try modding for fire rate and magazine size to test it. If it is just screen shake there might be options to reduce it.

I just checked it out.  I remember Kulstar having some beefy recoil when not aimed, but not like it does now.  It's a little stomach turning, and that's coming from somebody who isn't prone to motion sickness in games.   It's not just that it's extreme--and it is--but that it sometimes goes to the right or left a bit instead of straight vertical.   And then it over-corrects coming back. 

With Steady Hands slotted, it's a lot better, but still what I'd normally call "bad recoil".   To get it decent, I have to do that and aim. 

I'm certain it's different.  I've actually got mine exilused, but I never even considered slotting Steady Hands before now.  Maybe it's where it's actually -supposed- to be now, I don't know, but it's pretty unpleasant to use without aiming or slowing down my RoF a lot.

35 minutes ago, Liljeman said:

If it is just screen shake there might be options to reduce it.

The screen shake setting in Display Options doesn't affect it that I can tell.  

2 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Aim and the recoil is drastically reduced.

Irrelevant. Still nauseating. Still pointless.

It works the same as it does for any weapon, recoil doesn't affect the initial shot, only following ones.

This is incorrect. The recoil resets back to center position before the next shot can be fired. Ergo, it is meaningless.

BTW, Steady Hands (and the Exilus slot) exists.

Bandaid mods and an overpriced slot don't change the fact that this addition to the weapon was unnecessary and anti-fun.

So this does accomplish one thing; maybe it makes a few people buy an exilus adapter to fix the weapon. Very cool. Feel free to name literally any positive thing that this does for the weapon if you insist on defending it, I'd be interested to know if there are positive aspects.

In it's current state Kulstar's recoil is just an extremely uncomfortable visual effect. As others have pointed out, it doesn't affect aiming at all because it resets before the next shot even with firerate mods (on top of lethal torrent).

Wide amplitude or fast reticle/camera movement are fine, but the combination of both here is unbearable. Steady hands and ADS should be optional, not something mandatory to avoid motion sickness or epileptic seizure. Anyways, torpedoes are self propelled, and their ejection shouldn't cause such ridiculously violent recoil.

If it was added for balance purpose (despite the weapon having several strong drawbacks already), then i would suggest to either:

- keep the recoil if you must, but greatly lower the reticle's angular velocity (especially on its way back), and add some inertia around the peak. That way recoil would both have a real impact on our aim by allowing its effect to stack after the initial shot, AND become much more visually tolerable.

- or, ditch the recoil and use something else. For example, i would be totally ok with substantially reduced flight speed (i have a -80% FS riven, and it makes the weapon more interesting imo, while also looking like it's shooting actual torpedoes). Make the projectile accelerate after ejection for extra torpedo effect :)

Archived