Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Small Xaku changes that will make him much better

AngrySkorpio

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to share my opinion on Xaku and what would i like to change about him. First of all, i know that Round 1 of Xaku changes is already out and Round 2 is on its way, so i know that its unlikely to see big Xaku changes after Round 2 and that its unlikely for DE to read this, but i want to voice my opinion anyway. Round 1 and Round 2 of Xaku changes are great and even though Round 2 is not yet out, i can already see that most of the Xaku problems have been resolved. But i think that Xaku still have a couple of problems left, problems that hinder overall enjoyment of this warframe. Here i would like to explain what these problems are, why these are problems and how i would like to see them resolved.

Here's my suggestions:

1. Reduce the energy cost for Xaku's ability the Lost from 75 to 50.

2. Amount of max targets of Accuse should scale with Range (similar to Grasp of Lohk) instead of Strength.

3. Buff base defense reduction of Gaze from 50 to 70%.

4. Buff base target range of Grasp of Lohk ability from 8 to 10 (or 12) meters.

Why i think these changes should be made:

Personally, i think that the biggest problem Xaku have is the amount of Range and Strength they need. Ideally in a build Xaku needs both 200%+ Strength and around 200%+ Range, which makes creating builds for Xaku hard, since Range and Strength mods take up most of the mod space in a build. It is further worsened by inconsistencies in abilities, like max targets in Grasp of Lohk scaling with Range and max targets of Accuse scaling with Strength. Round 1 and 2 Xaku base range buffs improve situation, but not to a huge degree. With 200%+ range on the abilities now good, but dropping range to 100% or 150% still makes range too small, so in the end Xaku builds didnt change much. Thats why i tried shifting from 2 main stats on Xaku(range and strength) to just range being the main one. Thats why 2nd point is getting rid of inconsistencies on max targets and making both of them scale with range.

I know that 3rd point looks to some like it would be too OP if Gaze will be even better at striping defenses, but i dont think it would. You already can strip all armor with Gaze with 200% str. In fact pretty much all of the Xaku builds created around that. All this buff does is makes it easier to create Xaku builds and opens up mod slots. With 70% defense strip you can reach 100% defense strip with only 150% str, instead of 200%, which frees mod slots. Even if it stays 50% base is doesnt change much, its just people will need to always have 200% str or they doing it wrong. This is a big change for opening up space for things like more energy efficiency or more survivability.

4th point is here to compensate a bit for the loss in strength in build, since if points 2 and 3 will be changed like i suggested, having more then 150% str on build will be unnecessary. Plus target range of Grasp of Lohk is the only range stat that didnt change at at all so far, so its a bit too low in my opinion. But, to be completely honest, i dont really care for damage portion of this ability. I know that some people like it though. Personally, for me Grasp of Lohk is mainly a disarm tool for more survivability plus a bit of free damage.

Okay, now about my 1st point. Some may disagree with me on that, saying that since the Vast Untime stops duration of other abilities, energy cost of the Lost doesnt really matter. But hear me out. Sure, Gaze is a really powerful ability. I have no qualms with it costing 75 energy whatsoever. But here's the thing. There are also 2 more abilities included and they are much weaker then Gaze. Accuse is a bit too expensive for what it does. Lets compare it to Nyx's Chaos. Both cost 75 energy. Yes, Accused enemies dont shoot you, thats a big plus. But Accuse is also worst in everything else. Duration 16s vs 25s, Range 11m vs 25m plus limited amount of targets of Accuse. In my opinion Accuse would good if its costed 50 energy. And now Deny. Deny doent do much. Its a flat dmg with no scaling, meaning no matter how much guns from Grasp of Lohk you have active its damage will always be average. Deny's CC part is also even weaker than Accuse. I mean if Deny would cost 25 energy it would be awesome and well worth casting. But for 75 per cast? Its a waste of precious energy. And i get it, its a 3-in-1 ability, so if all 3 will be awesome, that would be too OP. But again, the Lost costing 75 energy just limits the player. Why waste a ton of energy? Why cast Accuse and Deny? Just cast Gaze and kill all enemies with melee, problem solved. Thats why i would like to change the energy cost from 75 to 50. I know Gaze changes from 50% to 70% plus reduced energy cost would be perhaps a bit too much, but i still think it will worth doing, if it would result in a more frequent Accuse and Deny cast and better build diversity.

Alternative solution:

Leave Gaze as 3rd ability with 75 energy cost. Buff its defense strip from 50% to 70%. And then move the other 2 abilities of the Lost(Accuse and Deny) to 2nd ability and merge them together. It results in a separate 3rd ability(Gaze) and a new the Lost ability(consisting of Grasp of Lohk, Accuse and Deny), on a second button and with 50 energy cost, since Grasp of Lohk already costs 50 energy. A bit more complicated solution, but i think it fits well with the power level and theme of all 3 abilities and with other similar abilities on other warframes. For example Grendel's Nourish is a second ability with 50 energy cost. The rest of similar abilities, consisting of multiple ones, cost even less, 25 energy, i assume because otherwise too much energy needed to cast all of them in addition to other 3 normal abilities, yet for some reason Xaku dont get that discount, making them one of the most energy heavy warframes (channeled abilities and time stop from the Vast Untime aside).

Plus there is another reason for considering Xaku to be energy heavy. That is, once again, because of the 200% strength and 200% range requirement. To get 200% range without too much mod slots you need mod Overextended. But its also has 60% penalty to strength, meaning if you want to have 200% strength you absolutely need to put Blind Rage in your build, which in turn cripples your efficiency by 55%. In fact most of the popular Xaku builds have 45-100% power efficiency, never higher, simply because its hard get get more then that while also having decent duration + 200% range + 200% strength. That is another reason why i wanted to shift the focus a bit from strength to range and decrease cost of the Lost from 75 to 50 energy.

There is also the last reason to why i think Xaku to be energy hungry. I know that DE wont change abilities because of the Helminth system, but i feel like i should mention this. Xaku's 1st ability is not that good. Its a generic weapon damage buff that doesnt do anything special. Its also considered damage buffing ability for the purpose of Helminth system for some reason, even though its a worst one by far. I mean even Roar is better on Xaku then their own Xata's Whisper( especially considering teammates get Roar buff too) which is pretty funny. But the point im trying to make is that Xaku's 1st ability is basically a free replacement slot for Helminth. For example Xaku have troubles staying alive, so replacing Xata's Whisper with a defensive ability would be great, especially considering that as Xaku you need to strip enemy defenses pretty much all of the time( its their main thing after all), so damage is not a issue. Without defenses, almost any weapon can kill a high level enemy in seconds. But, the Vast Untime doesnt stop the timers on infused abilities + you never know which ability you will infuse, meaning instead of ability which costs 25 energy you can end up with ability which costs 50 or even 75 energy. So if you rely on the Vast Untime and have a standard ability duration + for example 75% efficiency your energy situation can suddenly become much worse.

Anyway, i just wanted to share my thoughts on Xaku. If some of this will be actually implemented it would be great, Xaku definitely have a big potential. Its just not quite there yet. Thanks for the reading.

No, he doesn't need any changes to grasp of lohk or gaze. After the last changes, he can keep up his stolen guns and gaze rings almost indefinitely and the guns melt everything easilly even without using gaze. I have 5 forma on him and hes cutting through sorties, arbies and steel path like hot knife through butter. 

In fact I think he was already very good even before the buffs, now hes one of the best warframes. 

On 2020-10-10 at 3:51 PM, Swagernator22663 said:

Hmm .. im not an expert, i've been playing xaku just a bit but i think the first "update" he got made him pretty capable frame currently. So i don't think he needs anything else really.

No, Xaku is still firmly in the “worst frame in the game“ category. Giving them a few QoL features that don’t address the core issues of the frame is not enough.

All great suggestions. Tho I would also add that they should remove Grasp of Lohks number of guns dependency on the range stat.

They should just make it a static 15 guns. Because it doesn’t make sense to make more guns for more damage, but to get the most number of guns you need to use a mod that decreases their individual damage.

12 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Because it doesn’t make sense to make more guns for more damage, but to get the most number of guns you need to use a mod that decreases their individual damage.

I mean actually it does. You are dividing the energy among more guns.  There is no real issue with a frame having to be built for range in fact  its good to have variety. 

His actual main issue is survivability and maybe that could be helped by freeing up mod slots but honestly it would be better to just directly give him survivability.  

1 minute ago, Solarsyphon said:

I mean actually it does. You are dividing the energy among more guns.  There is no real issue with a frame having to be built for range in fact  its good to have variety. 

His actual main issue is survivability and maybe that could be helped by freeing up mod slots but honestly it would be better to just directly give him survivability.  

There’s an issue with a frame that needs massive amounts of range AND strength. Those you can’t get that without filling up 5 mod slots and massacring your efficiency.

Variety isn’t good if it’s actively ruining the frame.

Archived