Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How can I beat the Protea Frame?

Kage_Senshi-o

Question

I'm at Mastery Rank 4 with the Excalibur Frame (I only recently found out there are other frames). I've read all sorts of articles and tried everything. I can't seem to do anything but minimal permanent damage to this foe.

I did the whole aim, throw the xoris and explode when it reaches her thing. Very taxing, both physically and mentally because I have to stay on the move 100% of the time and if my aim is even a little off, the Xoris won't hurt her when it explodes. Not to mention, even when I manage to avoid getting finished it takes forever to  to any damage to her. So I eventually move closer and get a little damage on Protea, then jx die.

Disclaimer: Don't tell me I did it easily with Frame X, that's unhelpful. Please give me a strategy I can use or let me know the devices I have are simply not enough.

Also, how does one get that currency (other than credits) used to buy from the market or rush processes?   

14 answers to this question

If you have trouble doing that fight because you can't stay on the move and aim your Xoris at the same time, you may want to try out another warframe with better tanking capabilities. If you have trouble to damage Protea, you may want to look at your modding and the weapon you're using. There's is no really special strategies to apply during that fight, sadly. It just looks like your gear lacks power and you're probably not using a warframe that suits your needs.

You're only MR Rank 4, so I suspect you don't have the really good stuff yet. Unlocking some new mods, unlocking some warframes and checking out how to mod your stuff (weapons and warframe alike) will help you not only during that fight, but also for the rest of the game.

Have you unlocked Rhino yet ? If not, you may want to start there. He can be obtained as early as in Venus, and he's an absolutely wonderful warframe for beginners, mostly thank to Iron Skin and Rhino Stomp, granting you great tanking and great CC.

21 minutes ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

I did the whole aim, throw the xoris and explode when it reaches her thing

Make sure the Xoris is charged with the ghost souls

22 minutes ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

the Xoris won't hurt her when it explodes

Its purpose isn't to do damage, it's to stop her from rewinding and undoing the damage that you've done.

22 minutes ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

Disclaimer: Don't tell me I did it easily with Frame X, that's unhelpful.

Well you are MR4 going for a frame that is kinda new and besides the fact that you probably won't be able to do the farming to get the parts for her, as well as the few thousand eximus only resource drops.

In my opinion you are better off farming something else.

Or go farm rhino and come back to protea with rhinos nigh immortality

26 minutes ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

how does one get that currency

Platinum, from trading other players or buying it

Don't use it to rush things, that's a massive waste

On 2020-10-11 at 7:43 AM, McCIoud said:

Or go farm rhino and come back to protea with rhinos nigh immortality

I've finally managed to get Rhino (I'm almost MR7 now). It seems exploding the Xoris on her isn't working (she still recovers to full health again).

Do I have some kind of bug, or are all the forums/pages I'm reading not saying something crucial abt this mission?

7 hours ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

I've finally managed to get Rhino (I'm almost MR7 now). It seems exploding the Xoris on her isn't working (she still recovers to full health again).

Do I have some kind of bug, or are all the forums/pages I'm reading not saying something crucial abt this mission?

Is your Xoris fully charged with the ghost souls when using it to stop protea?

1 hour ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

yh, those didn't help. i must really suck at this game or ppl are leaving something out in their explanations

Honest opinion: Given that I've seen a few topics from you now asking for help on each individual quest and given the information you provided about your frames, weapons etc, I think you're rushing too fast trying to get all the quests done when what you should be focusing on is improving your gear, forma, mods, more frame and weapon options etc and your game knowledge. That is why you're having such difficulties.

59 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Honest opinion: Given that I've seen a few topics from you now asking for help on each individual quest and given the information you provided about your frames, weapons etc, I think you're rushing too fast trying to get all the quests done when what you should be focusing on is improving your gear, forma, mods, more frame and weapon options etc and your game knowledge. That is why you're having such difficulties

You're right, for some reason I've been trying to finish every quest. Don't even remember why lol. Now there's only like 8 of them left. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try focusing on levelling up instead of trying to finish all the quests within a month.

By the time I got to this quest and the boss, it was by far the most difficult boss fight. Anything which came after it, was much easier - but when I got to some other bosses, I already had better gear, frames and mods (and skills?).

I believe the problem here is that this (optional) quest unlocks a bit too soon. You probably have enough mods to handle the boss when you have mostly done the whole starmap (but not at the time you can unlock this quest as a noob). A general tip: if something seems difficult, leave it for the time being and come back to it later.

One tip not mentioned: Use something to draw her attention. I used Vauban and Tesla Coils, but I've heard Spectres work just as fine.

If you can't stop her rewinding/regenerating the health bars: you are doing something wrong. IIRC the time window (when to send the Xoris and explode it) is not huge, and I would occasionally miss since I sucked (and still suck) at parkour and got tripped over by a small rock just as I had damaged her enough. Hence: not enough time to aim and explode the charged Xoris.

I had actually the most problems since her shield recharge rate seems insane. Once I got something to do enough damage to the shields quickly enough, it came much easier.

12 hours ago, Kage_Senshi-o said:

You're right, for some reason I've been trying to finish every quest. Don't even remember why lol. Now there's only like 8 of them left. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try focusing on levelling up instead of trying to finish all the quests within a month.

This is one of those things the game doesn't explain too well, unfortunately. 

Quests are an obvious means of progression in most games, and to a certain extent in this game too (except it isn't always linear), some of them are more branching progression. 

For example, there are some quests that don't advance your universal game/story progression, they just give you access to a specific warframe. 

And there are 40+ warframes to choose from and tbh you can play with whatever ones you want whenever you want, and once you have the right mods, any of them can really do any content. 

In terms of leveling, keep in mind that the only truly universal forms of power progression in this game are basically your mods, and later on when you get into that, your arcanes. Getting a good suite of mods and leveling them up should be your first priority, while gaining mastery along the way of course. 

Archived