Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path Stalker is Insufferably Boring.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

I'm in Mag on the Steel Path.  I brought weapons to do Mag stuff.  The enemies in the mission are dying like nothing.  But Stalker gets flat out Immunity to all my abilities.  And the armor boost.  And all the other cheap crap that he comes with.  So I'm not dying because this isn't a case of "git gud" since he can't kill me.  But he's not dying either.  He's just a massive bullet sponge that none of my weapons can touch because he's status immune, ability immune and has huge DR.  Cheap enemies like this aren't fun.  This isn't challenging either, I can avoid his ass while shooting him all day.  This is boring.  This is a gear check to see if you brought a bunch of meta crit weapons or if you're having fun outside that, which is apparently not allowed.  You wonder why crit is king when you make everything status immune.

Is this supposed to be some desperate, harrowing, epic battle?  Because I literally just learned at 2k hours that you can't abort a mission when stalker is in.  I'm about to flat out close the game and just restart the mission because of how unbelievably boring this is.  And you must know it's boring, since you've purposefully trapped me in here to waste my time with him.

EDIT:  And the absolute biggest BS of the decade award goes to whatever brilliant individual decided that if the Stalker gets stuck in a spot where he can't move (due entirely to the game's poor pathing and AI) the Stalker now gets to literally non-stop spam a Pull copy and also just teleport you to within melee distance instantly.  He's literally stuck on a low ledge somehow and is now non-stop spamming pull and teleport on me.  He's spamming it so constantly that by the time I jump away from him, turn and aim to fire at him, I'm teleported again.  Like dozens of times in a row.  Yet more reasons why you really need to give enemies a cooldown on abilities or their own energy pools.  This is some amateur hour BS as far as game design is concerned.  An enemy that can just spam hard CC on the player at will with no cooldown of any kind?  This is the most laughably balanced, broken encounter I've seen in any game I've ever played.  You gave the enemy all the tools I'm supposed to have and stripped mine away from me, and they don't even have to deal with energy management.  gg.

14 hours ago, Dauggie said:

summon the saturn wolf and make it fight the stalker.. bullet sponge against bullet sponge

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of - reminds me of Wolf. He'd show up in my mission and just stall it. He can't kill me because I'm playing Inaros, I can't kill him because I brought level-up weapons to a sodding level 7 mission. Cool, guess I know what I'm doing for the next 20 minutes.

But this is why I insisted there be no tangible rewards for Steel Path, though - because crap like this was almost guaranteed to happen. Pushing people into Steel Path with incentives just ends up with frustration.

He's even worse in stuff like SP survival. Because now you are on a timer and can't even move around the map for teh towers. Might as well just die. Just to make him leave.

But he's not even the worst.

The worst are sentients in Lua Mobile Defense. They spawn on top of console and instantly cast prism. Which kills console in several seconds. It's Nyx or bust out there.

People like to talk about using Stropha in Steel Path and all that... but I think any melee that isn't Sarpa is a mistake for Steel Path. Sarpa makes Steel Path Stalker a lot easier. It makes almost all Steel Path bosses easier. Anything with lots of armor is rendered easy to kill with Sarpa... and usually only after peppering an enemy with Sarpa a couple times (watch for a red HP bar). Unlike all the other gunblades, Sarpa is the only one that can use Shattering Impact effectively (Stropha shots proc it once, Redeemer shots can't proc it at all... Sarpa gives you 5 procs per shot... with High Noon, 10 procs).

On top of that, the Sarpa can be made to have 100%+ status.  So you can slap Corrosive/Heat on top of the Shattering Impact. You can put Magnetic on Sarpa and use it on Mutalist Alad V and prevent him from regenerating his shields. For a lot of Steel Path content, it's very useful. But because bullet sponge Steel Path Stalker can spawn at any time and ruin your mission, it's just good to always have Sarpa with Shattering Impact with you.

References:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Shattering_Impact

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Sarpa

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/High_Noon

8 hours ago, SpiritTeA said:

That’s why you always have good archgun in your heavy weapon slots. Really, after I finally got heavy weapon launcher, I don’t care of getting Stalker while lvling up stock gear.

Not necessarily an archgun - just any means to finish the mission if a heavy hitter shows up and/or all the squadmates suddenly go AFK. When I'm not formaing a warframe, I like to do my leveling with Umbra - that way I can always pull out the blade and carry the mission until next extraction (if needed).

On 2020-10-11 at 7:15 AM, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

Is this supposed to be some desperate, harrowing, epic battle?  Because I literally just learned at 2k hours that you can't abort a mission when stalker is in.  I'm about to flat out close the game and just restart the mission because of how unbelievably boring this is.  And you must know it's boring, since you've purposefully trapped me in here to waste my time with him.

Strictly speaking, for most frames and builds, against steel path stalker, it's almost always faster the force quit the game and restart the mission than it is to actually kill him.
Though the last time I tried that, it made stalker attack me every mission for 6 missions in a row.
Perhaps that was luck, but it looks like DE thought of that and allowing yourself to be killed is the intended way to deal with him?

Still tempting though, it takes perhaps 30 seconds to force quit, and relaunch, log back in, and get back to the mission, steel path stalker, in some mission can easily be a 5 minute slog of incredible boredom.

.. I already have all of his drops, so the boring grind to down him is pointless, and rewardless. and no, throwing the fight to get rid of him always feels bad, that's not an acceptable solution, SP really highlights how much stalker needs to get over himself and stop avenging everything, like he thinks monsters like Phorid are something ANYONE is going to actually mourn?
DE. can stalker please get some therapy?

On 2020-10-11 at 2:15 AM, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

I'm in Mag on the Steel Path.  I brought weapons to do Mag stuff.  The enemies in the mission are dying like nothing.  But Stalker gets flat out Immunity to all my abilities.  And the armor boost.  And all the other cheap crap that he comes with.  So I'm not dying because this isn't a case of "git gud" since he can't kill me.  But he's not dying either.  He's just a massive bullet sponge that none of my weapons can touch because he's status immune, ability immune and has huge DR.  Cheap enemies like this aren't fun.  This isn't challenging either, I can avoid his ass while shooting him all day.  This is boring.  This is a gear check to see if you brought a bunch of meta crit weapons or if you're having fun outside that, which is apparently not allowed.  You wonder why crit is king when you make everything status immune.

EDIT:  And the absolute biggest BS of the decade award goes to whatever brilliant individual decided that if the Stalker gets stuck in a spot where he can't move (due entirely to the game's poor pathing and AI) the Stalker now gets to literally non-stop spam a Pull copy and also just teleport you to within melee distance instantly.  He's literally stuck on a low ledge somehow and is now non-stop spamming pull and teleport on me.  He's spamming it so constantly that by the time I jump away from him, turn and aim to fire at him, I'm teleported again.  Like dozens of times in a row.  Yet more reasons why you really need to give enemies a cooldown on abilities or their own energy pools.  This is some amateur hour BS as far as game design is concerned.  An enemy that can just spam hard CC on the player at will with no cooldown of any kind?  This is the most laughably balanced, broken encounter I've seen in any game I've ever played.  You gave the enemy all the tools I'm supposed to have and stripped mine away from me, and they don't even have to deal with energy management.  gg.

I'm curious why you didn't bring a good melee weapon?

Mag doesn't use a stat stick. 

Your melee should tear him in half.  And being squish doesn't matter because spin attack should keep you out of his range if you have range on which you should.

Failing that, dood... use your operator, any decent amp melts stalker.  Even on SP it's like 5-6 shots instead of 2-3.

I hear your complaint, and like, I think DE is guilty of all the things you're saying with bad enemy design overall, but in this instance you have 2 viable options that you didn't use...

Either that or you're super undergeared.

On 2020-10-14 at 4:26 AM, Klokwerkaos said:

I'm curious why you didn't bring a good melee weapon?

Mag doesn't use a stat stick. 

Your melee should tear him in half.  And being squish doesn't matter because spin attack should keep you out of his range if you have range on which you should.

Failing that, dood... use your operator, any decent amp melts stalker.  Even on SP it's like 5-6 shots instead of 2-3.

I hear your complaint, and like, I think DE is guilty of all the things you're saying with bad enemy design overall, but in this instance you have 2 viable options that you didn't use...

Either that or you're super undergeared.

I brought a status melee weapon.  It tears through SP enemies.  SP Stalker is completely immune to status, so none of the statuses work which means CO doesn't work which renders any status melee weapon nearly useless.  And I'm not sure what you're on about with the amps, but it took dozens of shots from the secondary fire of a 777 amp with V. Shadow on to kill him.  That's how I had to kill him since any time I tried to get out of melee range I got instantly teleported back in.  With as much DR as he has and as little (comparative) damage that amps do, there is no way in hell you're taking down SP stalker in 5-6 shots regardless of amp, unless you're using VS.  I should not have to run VS to take down an enemy because they are cheaply designed to be everything-immune.

You're coming at me like I'm incompetent, or missing obvious solutions and I don't appreciate that.  I have a solid amp, and I have a melee weapon that feels cheap to use even against SP enemies because of how strong status is when they don't just make everything status immune.  Neither of them did squat against SP Stalker.  He showed up and I had zero options because of the way he's designed.  It was an intensely boring and annoying fight.  You making a bunch of negative assumptions about me is only bringing that annoyance back up.

Steel Path as a whole is a mistake, they reduced armor scaling generally because it was too broken, then made a hard mode with +100 levels and double armor/shields, because someone is too dumb to absorb their prior lesson.

It's either completely irrelevant or grossly unmanageable on Steel Path, which is nonsense balance.

By way of solution, maybe a META specter can help respond to broken encounters like this, but ultimately this is a highlight on how irrational their design is. Scaling is lazy difficulty. 

On 2020-10-11 at 9:15 AM, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

Because I literally just learned at 2k hours that you can't abort a mission when stalker is in.

but you can end it in most cases - i often left stalker behind to breath my exhaust fumes. a few times i even had the bugger spawn into the 'void-place' where we farm protea just when that little intermezzo was about to be finished... i hope he had fun with the specters afterward ^^)

about getting him to leave: i usually play with the paracesis, so that ends his act rather fast regardless of what extra levels, health and armor he gets...

On 2020-10-11 at 9:15 AM, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

Stalker gets flat out Immunity to all my abilities.

That's the main issue. idiotic spam of immunities. 

What's more annoying about stalker he's totally fine disrupting my abilities on the fly. Annoying.

Archived