Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gear Wheel: Obsolete Items

Why do things like Ciphers and Apothics take up space in the Gear Wheel UI, if actually selecting them from the Wheel does Nothing?

They're only useable from context specific interaction prompts.

So having to assign them to the Wheel just creates UI clutter.

yes I appreciate that the Gear Wheel can spiral infinitely now; but honestly that's pretty clunky to use because if makes the items shift position if you rotate the wrong direction and mess with muscle memory. Thus I just avoid using it and prefer to minimize the gear I put in the wheel.

Personally I just set binds for the first wheel and generally that serves me well enough till I need something like a random Specter(and then that'll take me 10+ secs to get the wheel to 'spin' the right way and if I'm lucky I won't accidentally click something else potentially wastable), the way they handle limiting access to items like the Apothics based on what's currently equipped in your wheel I've always felt is a bad way to handle it but that's basically our 'in mission item bag', just don't think the wheel is the best form for it.

Archwing, Hoverboard, Archgun, and Necromech also fit into this category. some of these are literally mandatory to do some Content, so why do we need to put that in a Gear Slot and not accidentally remove it from that. why do we even have to worry about whether we brought a mission critical item with us.

they shouldn't be on the Gear Wheel, they should have their own dedicated buttons on the Gear Menu, outside of the Wheel. plus still being able to bind them to a button for quick access.
there's just no reason why these things should be stuff that you can not have Equipped with you in a Mission. why don't we have to have our Dropship&Orbiter Equipped on the Gear Wheel, and if we remove it we can't extract from Missions? that's the level of absurdity we're dealing with here.

3 hours ago, LucianDeRomeo said:

Personally I just set binds for the first wheel and generally that serves me well enough till I need something like a random Specter(and then that'll take me 10+ secs to get the wheel to 'spin' the right way and if I'm lucky I won't accidentally click something else potentially wastable), the way they handle limiting access to items like the Apothics based on what's currently equipped in your wheel I've always felt is a bad way to handle it but that's basically our 'in mission item bag', just don't think the wheel is the best form for it.

I wish I could, but PS4

no hotkey bindings

3 hours ago, LucianDeRomeo said:

Noted: why do we even have an 'in mission bag' if said bag has no size limit (the infinite spiral expansion) and you can just add everything you own to it?

I can understand how in some games its a balance thing -only carry 5 ammo/health/etc packs total. But here its kinda pointless.

Yes Dragon Keys, but they're an outdated exception and not the norm...

18 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

only useable from context specific interaction prompts

Indeed, items that can't actually be manually used directly from the Gear wheel shouldn't take up space on it.

18 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

I just avoid using it and prefer to minimize the gear I put in the wheel

Same, it's 12 slots for me (barring the odd temporary Dragon Key / Apothic / whatever equip) to avoid the spiraling
(I tried for a good bit to get comfortable with it, not least for the lulz of spawning as many Specters as possible, but it just wasn't happening).

So yeah, how about some options to manage Gear usage as we see fit?

Including, say, an option to set up multiple (static) wheels that we can cycle through like we can now switch between Gear and Emotes.
(Maybe have something like Mouse Wheel Up / Down to switch Gear wheels, and Right Click to go to Emotes.)

Actually, Hek, why not allow us to mix & match, use the slots on any one wheel for both Gear and Emotes if we so choose.

Also let us set up hotkeys right there, rather than buried in the control options.

Last but certainly not least, make Kinetic Siphon Traps (not take up a slot, like with Bait etc, and)
simply into a Secondary Fire for the Synthesis Scanner already, plskthx.

Archived