Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stygian, shadow frame (cc+buffs+debuffs)

Gashabae

Stygian

The energy flowing between life and death, veiled by shadows.

Spoiler

Styx is a river in Greek Mythology that forms the boundary between the underworld and the world of the living.

Stygian's literary meaning is "very dark".

Base Statistics

Health - 135 (405 at max rank)

Shield - 100 (300 at max rank)

Armour - 100

Energy - 120 (180 at max rank)

Sprint - 0.90

Gender - Male

Passive(s)

P1. Vital Trace

Any action that requires the interact key, "x" at default, will be carried out by Stygian's shadows. The duration of certain actions will be extended and may be accompanied by a 20s cooldown. While his shadows are carrying out an action they can pull enemy agro; however, the shadows are invulnerable. After the action is completed, the shadow will fade away.

Possible actions...

• Reviving (takes 25% longer with a cooldown).
  • Capturing a target (takes 50% longer).
  • Performing a finisher (takes 100% longer).
  • Hacking a console (takes 3 seconds with a cooldown).
  • Opening two-person security doors.
  • Opening lockers.
  • Picking up an Ayatan Sculpture/Star.
  • Carrying a module.
  • etc.
Spoiler

The primary consoles in spy vaults cannot be hacked by Stygian's shadows.

P2. Ombres

The more shadows Stygian collects the stronger his abilities are.

• The Ombres meter is displayed in the lower-right of the HUD, above the ability icons.
    • There is a cap of 100 shadows.
    • Missions begin with the same fraction of shadows as energy (modifiable by Preparation and free mod capacity).
    • Collector increases meter by 1 per enemy/object affected.
    • Radiant Umbra costs 10 shadows per cast (modifiable by power strength).
    • Shroud costs 10 shadows per overshield gate and 1 shadow when damaged.

P2.5 Pitch-Dark - Augment

The Ombres cap is increased to 125. If the current meter surpasses 100 shadows a drain of 1 shadow per second will begin and if it reduces back to 100 it will stop. If Stygian reaches 125 shadows the drain will stop and the next ability used will be empowered. This spends the 25 bonus shadows on top of the ability cost.

• Collector's loot chance is increased by 300%.
  • Radiant Umbra's duration is increased by 300%.
  • Shadow Dancer's range is increased by 300%.
  • Shroud's strength is increased by 300%.
Spoiler

Shadows are tinted by the energy colour selected. The more shadows Stygian has collected the more dark they become draining the colour out of them.

Abilities

All ability stats are subject to change.

Unmodifiable stats will be preceded by an asterisk (e.g. with a range of 25m*).

1. Collector - 25 energy

Drains the shadows from enemies and objects within 14m, restricted by line of sight. Enemies that lose their shadows have a 20% chance that critical hits and status procs inflicted onto them are enhanced by one tier. Crates, lockers, and resource deposits are 25%* more likely to drop additional loot. Each shadow drained is added to the Ombres meter. If the Ombres meter is at 100, each additional shadow will refund 2.5* energy.

• [Synergy w/ Radiant Umbra] If an enemy veiled under a shadow has their shadow drained, they will regain their vision; however, the modded critical and status enhancements will become 2x stronger. This will return 2 shadows.

1.5 Supply Collector - Augment

Upon use of Collector, all loot within drain radius is collected by a shadowy haze. For every 10* loot pickups collected by Collector, 1* shadow is added to the Ombres passive.

Spoiler

The vfx shadows generated by enemies or objects permanently disappear when drained by Collector.

The 20% critical strike enhancement works in a similar manner to the Vigilante Set bonus and would stack with it. The same applies to the status chance enhancement.

2. Radiant Umbra - 50 energy + 10 shadows (modifiable by strength)

Stygian releases 10 shadows to veil the vision of one enemy each lasting for 15s. If an affected enemy is killed, the shadow will search for another enemy. The duration does not tick down unless a shadow is attached to an enemy. Recasting dispels the active shadows and sends out a fresh batch.

2.5 Umbra's Directive - Augment

Added hold cast. All interactions within 15m are performed prioritized different actions based on the mission type. This bypasses the Vital Trace cooldown by allowing multiple hacks or revives per cast before it is triggered. This costs 1* shadow per action.  

• Survival/Defence/Interception – reviving > preforming finishers > etc.
  • Capture – capturing targets > opening lockers > etc.
  • Spy – hacking consoles > opening lockers > etc.
  • Mobile Defence/Exterminate – opening lockers > etc.

3. Shadow Dancer (Helminth) - 50 energy

Stygian teleports 20m forward emitting an explosion of shadows 4 - 8m in radius scaling off of the Ombres meter. All enemies within the explosion radius are procced with the lifted status effect, lasting 8s, and all Warframes are granted a 25* energy cost reduction on their next ability used. For every enemy affected, Stygian receives a 10% movement speed bonus lasting 8s. Shadow Dancer cannot be recast while the movement speed buff is active.

• [Synergy w/ Shroud] While Shroud is active, Shadow Dancer provides 25 shields per enemy affected by the lifted status.

3.5 Sordid Defence - Augment

Stygian receives a 10%* reduction to shield recharge delay, caps out at 60%, per enemy affected by the lifted status, and complete status immunity to the damage types the affected enemies are most vulnerable to. These benefits last until the movement speed buff expires.

Spoiler

The radius of the explosion will be shown as a faint dome of shadows with a solid line. This would look vaguely similar to Zenurik's Energizing Dash.

The energy cost reduction is applied pre-efficiency mods.

Helminth range is 7m. 

4. Shroud - 25 energy + 5 energy drain

Stygian veils his shields in shadows increasing its innate recharge rate by 75 - 150% scaling off of the Ombres meter allowing shields to recharge into overshields. Stygian receives a second shield gate when overshields are taken down costing 10* shadows. Every 2* instances of damage his shields receive costs 1 shadow. The shadow engulfing his shields extends his melee range by 1.5m dealing 50%* of the weapons damage within the extended range. Stygian's melee weapon receives a 50%* buff within its innate range. The shroud will reload Stygian's weapons allowing him to preform any action without cancelling the reload. Shadow reloads are completed 20% faster. The weapon buffs are only active while shields are up.

4.5 Embracing Shadows - Augment

On shield gate, Stygian is rendered invisible for the duration of the shield gate.

Spoiler

Stygian can melee, roll, cast abilities, switch into operator, etc while reloading.

Shroud is represented by a hue around Stygian and the shield bar in the UI turning dark grey / black.

Updated abilities due to suggestions received from @keikogi.

Thanks for reading!

-- Good Luck, Have Fun --

I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a shadow themed frame yet. Frames I would like to see eventually:

Cerberus.

Lancer/ spearman. Cu Chulainn with his Gae Bolg would be a good one I'm sure.

Achilles.

Demon.

Wolf (maybe a werewolf or Fenrir).

Actual grim reaper (I know about Wraith, but that's just a concept as far as I know).

Just to name a few.

5 hours ago, Gashabae said:

Stygian can cryptically mean "very dark".

Spoiler

This looks like you have misunderstood the example given by Google. It means “The Stygian (very dark) Crypt”. 

The concept looks interesting. My main question: what would the frame look like?

6 hours ago, (XB1)ParrotTom said:

I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a shadow themed frame yet. Frames I would like to see eventually:

Cerberus.

Lancer/ spearman. Cu Chulainn with his Gae Bolg would be a good one I'm sure.

Achilles.

Demon.

Wolf (maybe a werewolf or Fenrir).

Actual grim reaper (I know about Wraith, but that's just a concept as far as I know).

I guess you could consider Nekros a shadow themed frame but it isn't his main theme, kind of like how Nezha isn't just a fire themed frame but Ember is.

I'm sure you could find a ton of concepts to scratch that itch, now it's on DE to make one of those themes actually happen.

2 hours ago, krc473 said:

This looks like you have misunderstood the example given by Google. It means “The Stygian (very dark) Crypt”. 

The concept looks interesting. My main question: what would the frame look like?

My bad. I'll change it to the "literary" meaning not "cryptic".

I initially pictured it as a malnourished skinny frame, similar to Garuda Hinsa in stature, with some dangling cloth under the auxiliary attachments. A rough design with very skinny humanoid hands. The frame would have no legs but instead a dense cloud of shadows beneath the cloth.

That all might be a bit over the top though.

3 hours ago, Gashabae said:

I guess you could consider Nekros a shadow themed frame but it isn't his main theme, kind of like how Nezha isn't just a fire themed frame but Ember is.

I'm sure you could find a ton of concepts to scratch that itch, now it's on DE to make one of those themes actually happen.

It could be debated that he is a shadow themed frame, but that's only because of one ability. Otherwise, the vast majority would agree he's the necromancer.

15 hours ago, Gashabae said:

1. Collector - 25 energy

Drains the shadows from enemies and objects within 14m and line of sight. Enemies that lose their shadows are 20% more vulnerable to critical strikes. Crates, lockers, and resource deposits are 25%* more likely to drop additional drops. Each shadow drained is added to the Ombres meter.

I dont really see a reason to just give 20% damage vunerability. The crit condition just created build requirement because the kit has no inate crit sinergy ( this is no harrow ) 

2. Radiant Umbra - 50 energy + 10 shadows (modifiable by strength)

Sends out 10 shadows to veil the vision of one enemy each for 15s. If an affected enemy is killed, the shadow will find another enemy but the duration does not reset. Recasting dispels the active shadows and sends out a fresh batch.

2.5 Umbra's Directive - Augment

Added hold cast. All interactions within 15m are performed prioritized different actions based on the mission type. This bypasses the Vital Trace cooldown by allowing multiple hacks or revives per cast before it is triggered. This costs 1 shadow per action.

• Survival/Defence/Interception – revive > etc.
  • Capture – capture target > opening lockers > etc.
  • Spy – hacking consoles > etc.
  • Mobile Defence/Exterminate – opening lockers > etc

Neat , spreading cc 

The augument is amazing . just make them pick up loot so it is also a amazing QOL 

3. Shadow Dancer - 50 energy

Stygian teleports 20m forward emitting an explosion of shadows 4 - 8m in radius scaling off of the Ombres meter. All enemies within the explosion radius are procced with the lifted status effect and all Warframes are granted 25%* efficiency, both lasting for 5s. Recasting while in the previous explosion radius will collapse the field of shadows dragging all enemies to the focal point costing an additional 15 energy.

• [Synergy w/ Radiant Umbra] Every enemy that has impaired vision from Radiant Umbra provides 5 shields for Stygian when lifted by Shadow Dancer.

This skill strikes me as odd , the efficency buff is to short for allies to take advantage off , the skill also odly has a added energy fee for its "combo " effect. Personaly I would just rework it to reduces the cost of the next energy cast by 25 * energy. So it is consistent for both allies and self. The lifted status is also odd because if enemy is mid air it will loose contact with shadows, maybe just make shadows impale enemies IDK. 

. Shroud - 25 energy + 5 energy drain

Stygian veils his shields in shadows increasing its innate recharge rate by 75 - 150% scaling off of the Ombres meter. This allows shields to charge into overshields. Stygian receives a second shield gate when overshields are taken down costing 10* Ombres. The shadow engulfing his shields extends his melee range by 1.5m; however, the damage inflicted within the extended range is converted and divided equally between impact, puncture, and slash. The extended melee range is only active while shields are up. Every 2* instances of damage his shields receive reduces the Ombres meter by 1*.

I would just change this to create a longer shadow of the weapon dealing a % of weapon damage so if the shadow and the weapon overlap you get more damage. If the enemy is to far away you get just the shadow damage 

Passive(s)

P. Vital Trace

Any action that requires the interact key, "x" at default, will be carried out by Stygian's shadows. The duration of certain actions will be extended and may be accompanied by a 20s cooldown

Neat 

Really like this concept. A surprinsily diferente take on the shadow theme ( at least diferent from my own , Yami

3 hours ago, keikogi said:

I dont really see a reason to just give 20% damage vunerability. The crit condition just created build requirement because the kit has no inate crit sinergy ( this is no harrow )

I worded the ability description pretty badly, mb. There's a spoiler box under it that explains that the damage dealt to those enemies has a chance at increasing its crit (in a similar manner to the Vigilante set bonus). It's basically another way of buffing weapon damage to those enemies without just having a % increase. 

Neat , spreading cc 

The augument is amazing . just make them pick up loot so it is also a amazing QOL 

Great idea! Definitely going to add that to the augment.

This skill strikes me as odd , the efficency buff is to short for allies to take advantage off , the skill also odly has a added energy fee for its "combo " effect. Personaly I would just rework it to reduces the cost of the next energy cast by 25 * energy. So it is consistent for both allies and self. The lifted status is also odd because if enemy is mid air it will loose contact with shadows, maybe just make shadows impale enemies IDK. 

Believe it or not, the rough draft had impaling stakes which was later changed to the current grouping version. The impaling version was dropped because it just seemed like too much work to implement and there wasn't supposed to be any upfront damage from his abilities to begin with.

There's an energy cost because I was a bit worried people would just spam the ability key to teleport across an entire map. That's actually why the recast was added, to combat the ability to just spam it like Itzal's blink. Though it is a bit weird for it to cost energy... I'll probably remove that. The changes to the efficiency make way more sense, definitely using it.

I could maybe remove the "blink" and just make it a dash of sorts? Something like Delsin's fire dash or the quick shadowy movements of Dementors (from Harry Potter).

https://zippy.gfycat.com/PassionateDeliciousBats.webm (edit: I have no idea how to post gifs)

It shouldn't be that hard to work around lifted enemies being out of reach of the shadows.

E.g. if the shadows are targeting a suspended enemy and the shadow is standing bellow the enemy it just dashes into them. After a suspended enemy dies the shadow spawns under it and begins searching for a new victim.

I would just change this to create a longer shadow of the weapon dealing a % of weapon damage so if the shadow and the weapon overlap you get more damage. If the enemy is to far away you get just the shadow damage 

That's a really good upgrade to the ability.

Since it effects more than just the melee range maybe this could apply to other weapon types as well? Second firearm = increased fire rate + multishot? Or maybe that's too strong. Just a thought.

Really like this concept. A surprinsily diferente take on the shadow theme ( at least diferent from my own , Yami

Thanks! I really liked yours too. Yami is basically what inspired me to give this theme a go. I had a failed attempt at a shadow concept a while ago so this is basically round 2.

Always happy to get some feedback from you.

worded the ability description pretty badly, mb. There's a spoiler box under it that explains that the damage dealt to those enemies has a chance at increasing its crit (in a similar manner to the Vigilante set bonus). It's basically another way of buffing weapon damage to those enemies without just having a % increase. 

Making the math fancier does not really make it any diferent from a % increase it just makes me do more math on the orbiter. You could try something with a bigger gameplay imolication

adds the base HP of the last shadowless eenemy killed to the base damage of your next shot. For example it can increase your damage alot but it also raises considerations about missing shots and the order you kill enemies. It also has it´s own layer of math opmization but at least the gameplay concerns are really strong 

Believe it or not, the rough draft had impaling stakes which was later changed to the current grouping version. The impaling version was dropped because it just seemed like too much work to implement and there wasn't supposed to be any upfront damage from his abilities to begin with.

You can probably just reskin harrows chains ans smoll hands like this 

UnlinedRaggedBinturong-size_restricted.g

(btw you post gifs the same way you post images but some sites don´t work ,prpbaly incompatible format ) 

There's an energy cost because I was a bit worried people would just spam the ability key to teleport across an entire map. That's actually why the recast was added, to combat the ability to just spam it like Itzal's blink. Though it is a bit weird for it to cost energy... I'll probably remove that. The changes to the efficiency make way more sense, definitely using it.

Soft CD is the way to go ( something like harrow 4 ) , energy can´t really stop a veteran. Maybe make it so the 4x combo have a self buff at the end , maybe related to the ammount of enemeis hit. 

That's a really good upgrade to the ability.

Since it effects more than just the melee range maybe this could apply to other weapon types as well? Second firearm = increased fire rate + multishot? Or maybe that's too strong. Just a thought.

You can make something more interesting, since the "theme" of the passive is shadow do what I can´t be bothered to what about when you reload the shadow grabs your weapon and you default to some kind of shadow kunai while the shadow performs the reload. IDK just spit balling here 

Thanks! I really liked yours too. Yami is basically what inspired me to give this theme a go. I had a failed attempt at a shadow concept a while ago so this is basically round 2

Glad to know. About version It usually takes me 3 version( the first one I did was reworked like 11 times ) to do something good so having a solid desing on second try is really good.

Added energy return to Collector(1st) if shadows collected exceeds 100. The value of the returned energy is subject to change but is currently 1 per shadow.

Added an augment for the Ombres Passive. See hidden content below.

Spoiler

Pitch-Black - Augment

The Ombres cap is increased to 125. If the current meter surpasses 100 shadows a drain of 1 shadow per second will begin and if it reduces back to 100 it will stop. If Stygian reaches 125 shadows the drain will stop and the next ability used will be empowered. This spends the 25 bonus shadows on top of the ability cost.

• Collector's loot increase chance increases by 300%.
  • Radiant Umbra's duration is increased by 300%.
  • Shadow Dancer's range is increased by 300%.
  • Shroud's strength is increased by 300%.

Added an augment for Shroud(4th). See hidden content below.

Spoiler

4.5 Allocation - Augment

Stygian can veil an ally in a shadow at no initial cost. The affected ally will receive the accompanying buffs at 50% effectiveness costing Stygian an additional 5 energy drain. While Allocation is equipped, holding the ability key will disable all active shrouds. 

Added loot pick up to Umbra's Directive(2nd augment).

Added a soft cooldown to Shadow Dancer(3rd) as a movement speed buff.

Added a new reload mechanic to Shroud(4th). See hidden content below.

Spoiler

The shroud will reload Stygian's firearms allowing him to preform any action without cancelling the reload.

Stygian can melee, roll, cast abilities, switch into operator, etc while reloading.

Changed how damage is dealt by Shroud(4th). See hidden content below.

Spoiler

Used to deal full damage within the extended range converted and divided equally between impact, puncture, and slash. There was no innate damage buff.

Now,

The shadow engulfing his shields extends his melee range by 1.5m dealing 50%* of the weapons damage. Stygian's melee weapon receives a 50%* buff within its modded range. 

I think Wraithe would have some of these abilities or at least similar and he'll be coming out right after Lavos, The Alchemist, but before the end of the year. So I guess you'll have your Shadow Frame after all, even though it may not be exactly what you desire, but its a start. Right?

5 hours ago, (PS4)jimmylv3 said:

I think Wraithe would have some of these abilities or at least similar and he'll be coming out right after Lavos, The Alchemist, but before the end of the year. So I guess you'll have your Shadow Frame after all, even though it may not be exactly what you desire, but its a start. Right?

Appearances aside, Wraith is more of a reaper themed frame.

6 hours ago, (PS4)jimmylv3 said:

There‘s a week left in October and DE has basically said nothing about Lavos except for the fact that he’s "almost ready" like 2 weeks ago. If he doesn‘t come out this month then he‘s coming in November, and if that‘s the case then Wraithe sure as hell isn‘t coming this year. 

Wraithe probably isn‘t gonna happen this year regardless even if Lavos is in October honestly. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)Darmstomp said:

There‘s a week left in October and DE has basically said nothing about Lavos except for the fact that he’s "almost ready" like 2 weeks ago. If he doesn‘t come out this month then he‘s coming in November, and if that‘s the case then Wraithe sure as hell isn‘t coming this year. 

Wraithe probably isn‘t gonna happen this year regardless even if Lavos is in October honestly. 

Xaku did come out- what? Two or three months ago on console at least. I'd expect Wraith around March at the earliest.

Edit: I am sort of surprised by Wraith's 4 concept though, you'd expect a scythe instead of claws. I hope he comes out with a scythe at least and maybe a new stance mod.

25 minutes ago, (XB1)ParrotTom said:

Xaku did come out- what? Two or three months ago on console at least. I'd expect Wraith around March at the earliest.

Edit: I am sort of surprised by Wraith's 4 concept though, you'd expect a scythe instead of claws. I hope he comes out with a scythe at least and maybe a new stance mod.

Jesus it’s been like 3 months since Xaku huh, I thought they did like a 2 month inbetween frames? Yeah Wraithe ain‘t gonna be this year lol, which really sucks since Lavos and him are way more interesting to me than Protea and Xaku. 

19 hours ago, (PS4)jimmylv3 said:

Yea, I was going to say the same as ParrotTom. The themes don't seem to overlap at all. Aesthetically... maybe?

You may be thinking of the "souls" I had in the Loa concept and mixing it up with this one. If not that, I don't really see the parallel between a Reaper/Ghost frame and a shadow frame.

On 2020-10-15 at 2:16 AM, Gashabae said:

Stygian teleports 20m forward emitting an explosion of shadows 4 - 8m in radius scaling off of the Ombres meter. All enemies within the explosion radius are procced with the lifted status effect, lasting 8s, and all Warframes are granted 25%* efficiency on their next ability used. For every enemy affected, Stygian receives a 10% movement speed bonus lasting 8s. Shadow Dancer cannot be recast while the movement speed buff is active.

Btw I acutually meant a flat  25 reduction on the pre efficency cost of the ability so the skill does not fail to do anything if the ally has 75% effiency and the skill as effiencient if you cast your 1 or 4 you get the same discount.

On 2020-10-15 at 2:16 AM, Gashabae said:

4.5 Allocation - Augment

Stygian can veil an ally in a shadow at no initial cost. The affected ally will receive the accompanying buffs at 50% effectiveness costing Stygian an additional 5 energy drain. While Allocation is equipped, holding the ability key will disable all active shrouds. 

I feel like you placed way to many balance ties. I dont think you need both the extra cost and the reduced effecvness. If it was a squad wide both it would make sense but as a single target buff it is way to expensive. 

There is another problem , as it is right now the augument does absolutely nothing if you have no allies (problem that was fixed with the old elemental buffs from Ember , Saryn , Vold , Frost and oberon could not hit themselves with their augument ) 

11 hours ago, keikogi said:

Btw I acutually meant a flat  25 reduction on the pre efficency cost of the ability so the skill does not fail to do anything if the ally has 75% effiency and the skill as effiencient if you cast your 1 or 4 you get the same discount.

Took me a second to work out the outcome of that change but it's actually way more interesting. Just a thought... but wouldn't it cause his first to cost 0 energy? I'm not necessarily against that since it'd work out to be interesting synergy wise. Teleport... explode... lift enemies... absorb their shadows. It's also only every 8 s (unmodded) so the combo wouldn't be overpowered or anything.

11 hours ago, keikogi said:

I feel like you placed way to many balance ties. I dont think you need both the extra cost and the reduced effecvness. If it was a squad wide both it would make sense but as a single target buff it is way to expensive. 

There is another problem , as it is right now the augument does absolutely nothing if you have no allies (problem that was fixed with the old elemental buffs from Ember , Saryn , Vold , Frost and oberon could not hit themselves with their augument ) 

You're probably right, I'll replace the drain with a flat 25 energy cost and keep the reduced effectiveness. Hopefully that balances out. 

I wasn't actually thinking of the augment as a parallel to the elemental frame's first augments; rather, more along the lines of Safeguard. Still, Safeguard can affect objectives so that might need to be added in some form. I hope that somewhat justifies it not benefiting Stygian himself.

1 hour ago, Gashabae said:

a second to work out the outcome of that change but it's actually way more interesting. Just a thought... but wouldn't it cause his first to cost 0 energy? I'm not necessarily against that since it'd work out to be interesting synergy wise. Teleport... explode... lift enemies... absorb their shadows. It's also only every 8 s (unmodded) so the combo wouldn't be overpowered or anything.

The 8 seconds window and the usable only once clause pretty much guarantees it is good but not broken because you cant just spam it for Infinity energy like you can with stuff like EV

1 hour ago, Gashabae said:

You're probably right, I'll replace the drain with a flat 25 energy cost and keep the reduced effectiveness. Hopefully that balances out. 

I wasn't actually thinking of the augment as a parallel to the elemental frame's first augments; rather, more along the lines of Safeguard. Still, Safeguard can affect objectives so that might need to be added in some form. I hope that somewhat justifies it not be

I brought them up because DE added a whole new casting mechanic just to make these argument mods work in solo play. You can also see this type of desing on support frames the can always at least self buff ( I can't recall a single istance of a skill completely useless on solo play. So I feel like safe guard is the odd one out amd should do something to enhance its baseline as well. For your desing I would sugest to Rename it to Embracing Shadows allowing it turn you invisible during shield gates. It woulf be a good extra feature but it hard to abuse.

Archived