Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS dip being remedied by transferring to spoiler mode

MasterControl

Having a bit of an issue where my FPS dips into the 30's and 40's in semi-chaotic situations. I would normally chalk this up to particles, action, etc, but when I activate spoiler mode it immediately transitions into a smooth 60+fps, and upon transferring back in it immediately dips before I take any action that would in theory cause my fps to dip. I've had this happen on numerous frames and tiles, and am not a client when it occurs. My available resources do not seem to be over-taxed when this occurs.

I've noticed this as well, both as client and server. Usually I run survivals, and it seems that the longer a mission runs the worse it gets, often halving my framerate by the 40 minute mark. If the serving player dies( whether it is me or someone else ) OR if I enter and exit operator it resolves and framerates improve immediately. If it's due to death, the problem does not seem to return, though if it's by operator it slowly begins to degrade again. About 40 minute live cycle seems to be the timespan, but that's all situational. 

I'm starting the wonder if all the DOT damage notifies are choking that UI and just breaking it or being broadcast and causing framerate hold delays or something. Feels like a UI issue though I have no accurate data to support that hunch.

On 2020-10-20 at 7:58 AM, MasterControl said:

Having a bit of an issue where my FPS dips into the 30's and 40's in semi-chaotic situations. I would normally chalk this up to particles, action, etc, but when I activate spoiler mode it immediately transitions into a smooth 60+fps, and upon transferring back in it immediately dips before I take any action that would in theory cause my fps to dip. I've had this happen on numerous frames and tiles, and am not a client when it occurs. My available resources do not seem to be over-taxed when this occurs.

Hi MasterControl,

Can you provide a couple of specific examples where you've noticed this occur? Such as tile sets, game modes, etc. Thanks!

3 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Hi MasterControl,

Can you provide a couple of specific examples where you've noticed this occur? Such as tile sets, game modes, etc. Thanks!

It seems to happen most often during Arbitrations from what I have been able to gather since posting, though that may just be due to arbitration's bias towards endless as I've noticed the performance will usually degrade over time (usually I start to notice the listed issue in the minutes leading up to the 30 minute mark). I've so far had it happen on the Europa, Grineer Galleon, and Earth tilesets. If you'd like, I could record the next long mission I do in an attempt to capture the issue on video with the fps/RAM monitor in the corner and perhaps a resource monitor on my other monitor to give you an idea of the timeline and the circumstances, as well as reproduce transferring into operator fixing it. If so, do you have any resource monitors that you would recommend? I wouldn't be able to do this until later tonight and may take a bit to upload a video of that length but if it's helpful I'm more than happy to.

18 hours ago, MasterControl said:

It seems to happen most often during Arbitrations from what I have been able to gather since posting, though that may just be due to arbitration's bias towards endless as I've noticed the performance will usually degrade over time (usually I start to notice the listed issue in the minutes leading up to the 30 minute mark). I've so far had it happen on the Europa, Grineer Galleon, and Earth tilesets. If you'd like, I could record the next long mission I do in an attempt to capture the issue on video with the fps/RAM monitor in the corner and perhaps a resource monitor on my other monitor to give you an idea of the timeline and the circumstances, as well as reproduce transferring into operator fixing it. If so, do you have any resource monitors that you would recommend? I wouldn't be able to do this until later tonight and may take a bit to upload a video of that length but if it's helpful I'm more than happy to.

Thanks! We'll take a look. In the meantime, if you'd like to record a video, it might be helpful to see a comparison between spoiler mode enable and disabled. There's no need to record the entire 30+ minutes, but just a couple of minutes would be great.

As for resource monitors, the one in Window's Task Manager might be good enough. It should be able to tell you if your CPU or GPU are bottlenecked, and then you'd be able to see how much of that is removed when switching to spoiler mode.

4 hours ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Thanks! We'll take a look. In the meantime, if you'd like to record a video, it might be helpful to see a comparison between spoiler mode enable and disabled. There's no need to record the entire 30+ minutes, but just a couple of minutes would be great.

As for resource monitors, the one in Window's Task Manager might be good enough. It should be able to tell you if your CPU or GPU are bottlenecked, and then you'd be able to see how much of that is removed when switching to spoiler mode.

Sure thing, if that's all you need I can absolutely get that done. If task manager is to be believed (I've monitored it a few times while this occurred trying to see if I had a hardware bottleneck) then it shouldn't be related to my system config, as it was barely even at half load across the board. I will try to get you a video of the issue soon

32 minutes ago, MasterControl said:

Sure thing, if that's all you need I can absolutely get that done. If task manager is to be believed (I've monitored it a few times while this occurred trying to see if I had a hardware bottleneck) then it shouldn't be related to my system config, as it was barely even at half load across the board. I will try to get you a video of the issue soon

Can you also please try it without using the Trumna as your primary weapon? While looking into this issue, we discovered a performance issue specific to that weapon, so we're going to work on getting that cleaned up right now.

1 minute ago, [DE]Linkski said:

Can you also please try it without using the Trumna as your primary weapon? While looking into this issue, we discovered a performance issue specific to that weapon, so we're going to work on getting that cleaned up right now.

Sure thing - I was actually frequently using the Trumna when I noticed this issue, so that actually might be it. Will let you know if I can reproduce the issue with other weapons

6 hours ago, MasterControl said:

Follow up - I have as of yet been unable to reproduce the issue without using the Trumna. I think you've got it pegged! Will let you know if I notice the issue return while not using the weapon, but for now I think you're on it. Much appreciated for working it out :)

Thanks for checking! We'll try to have a fix for this ASAP.

We have a fix for this now, and it should be available later this week. In the meantime, if you'd like to avoid this performance issue with the Trumna, then you can just change its energy color. Once the fix is live then you should be able to go back to the previous color.

Archived