Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr is almost good

PseudoLegend

I recently started playing Zephyr and I was surprised by how much I've enjoyed her.  I really like her 3.  The survivability it grants against against Corpus, Grineer, and Cambion Drift infested is really noticeable.  However, against standard infested it's all but useless.  I don't think it should extend to protecting against melee, that would be a bad design choice both mechanically and thematically. However, I've thought of one simple improvement that would be highly appropriate thematically and beneficial in a way that wouldn't make her broken.

A strong wind can disperse gas with relative ease.  Make her 3 disperse poison clouds.  That's it.  Just give her that and I believe that would be enough to make her shine without overshadowing other frames.  Please DE.

Zephyr suffers from the same issues as frames like Hydroid. Basically there is a lot more gimmick here than usefulness.

In theory her 1 is pretty good, but only really on a few maps (specifically open world zones where you can blast across them really fast). The slam effect is hindered by dealing lackluster damage and suffers from very awkward controls (you need to constantly adjust how the camera is positioned to shift from vertical/horizontal movement to slam movement). This is made most evident if you're using the augment. Speaking of, the augment is really good in theory but again suffers from lackluster damage. The amount of scaling you need to do to take down down higher level armored enemies is unreasonable.

Her 2 is simply not very useful as is. Synergizing with her 4 is nice but I have never really found a need for this. The damage/AOE is somewhat useful but again suffers from poor scaling. At higher level content this ability is really only useful for the push/pull mechanic but even then I have never found myself going, "Jeez, what I really need, instead of just killing these enemies with my powerful weapons, is an ability to disperse/collect enemies!".

Her 3 is easily the most useful ability, making a number of weapons better due to the increased projectile speed from the augment. Without the augment it is still a pretty good ability, making zephyr somewhat tanky. Being able to have it active while on K-drive is also useful. This ability has always been reliably useful.

Her 4 is probably the most unique but also the most frustrating of her abilities. Primarily because range mods do not affect the pull radius. The augment is almost always the way to go with this ability for this reason. Unfortunately the augment shuts down the CC capability which, in turn, makes the primary use of damage dispersal to affected targets less effective (unless you're using her 2 or any other form of enemy-pulling) to group enemies prior to casting the 4 so most of the tornados are in an isolated location. AOE weapons like ignis can be very strong when hitting multiple tornados at once. BUT the ability is simply frustrating. Pull range should be affected by range mods on the non-augmented version so it can effectively be used to crowd control large groups of enemies. This would also make it more useful to a team because they could just target affected enemies via shooting the tornado rather than trying to hit them as they are flung around. 

Building Zephyr is pretty contradictory.

Range is needed for the AOE of her 1 and 2, as well as the protection radius of her 3. It is not needed for her 4.

Damage is needed for the 1, 2 and 4

Duration is very important for her 3 and 4, while making her 1 much harder to use

Efficiency is needed for her 1 and 2 as they are both pretty 'spammy' abilities

Zephyr's abilities do not synergize very well in build-theory. The are certainly appropriate to her theme but some major changes are needed for her to be a good frame. Proposed changes are below.

First ability:

Change to a drain/duration ability that puts Zephyr into an airborne state. Casting it again will propel her forward at half-cost similar to what we currently have. General airborne state is a hover that allows guns and other abilities to be used.

Synergizes with: 

2: Air Burst half energy cost, increased damage and AOE radius based on projectile travel distance

3: Turbulence AOE range doubled, duration stopped until 1 is deactivated

4: Tornado(s) are pulled to your location and rotate around it at a set distance

Second ability:

Change on-hit damage type to true and AOE damage type remains explosion. Remove multiple projectiles and set base AOE range to 6m (scaling with distance when used with 1st ability). 

Synergizes with:

1: Air Burst half energy cost, increased damage and AOE radius based on projectile travel distance

4: Shooting a tornado with air burst causes AOE pull range of airburst to triple, pulling enemies from a greater distance into the tornado. Former synergy of increasing tornado height also increases tornado's effect radius.

Third ability:

Set radius to 10m no longer affected by mods to make it easier to increase build options. Small push to enemies within 10m radius, increasing as they get closer to zephyr. Redirected projectiles can damage enemies.

Synergizes with:

1. Turbulence AOE range doubled, duration stopped until 1 is deactivated

4: Projectiles reflected by turbulence can interact with tornados to deal extra damage to affected enemies

Fourth ability:

Pull radius is now affected by synergy with 2. Tornados cause projectile disruption, reducing accuracy of enemy projectiles entering their effective radius by a set amount (IE: 5% base accuracy loss for any projectiles passing through the effective radius of tornado making it less likely to be hit when a tornado is between a player and an enemy)

Synergizes with:

1: Tornado(s) are pulled to your location and rotate around it at a set distance

2: Shooting a tornado with air burst causes AOE pull range of airburst to triple, pulling enemies from a greater distance into the tornado. Former synergy of increasing tornado height also increases tornado's effect radius.

3: Projectiles reflected by turbulence can interact with tornados to deal extra damage to affected enemies

Wow this ended up being way longer than I intended. If you read the whole thing good for you. Here is a cookie:

cookie monster nom GIF

Being able to disperse enemy gas clouds with all of her abilities would be nice, even perhaps collecting them into her tornadoes to affect foes rather than allies. 

Zephyr is a really cool frame, I think what she needs most are quality of life improvements, things that make her more enjoyable to use rather than direct power. 

They could change tailwind to collide with surfaces earlier, so your not tangled up with a wall when you use it in closed spaces, and you have room to maneuver. They could replace her augment with a hold to continue flying feature, that dramatically increases the damage radius and allows her to freely direct her path with the mouse. A little more base speed/distance too, or higher speed while aiming. 

They could double the draw distance of airbursts that strike tornadoes. And they could make tornadoes circle tightly around a point your aiming at, moving at 2 or 3 times the current speed, rather than maybe getting a tornado to move toward where your aiming, which takes so long that you could have killed everything ahead of you with your weapons in a fraction of the time. 

On 2020-10-21 at 7:09 PM, PseudoLegend said:

However, against standard infested it's all but useless.

There is a lesser known ability of zephyr that may help with this. Holding her first ability charges it, on release you leap into the air and hover in an aim glide (useful for unlocking some rivens). If you find your head embedded in the ceiling hole aim after launching to pause the aim glide at the present height. This puts you out of the reach of melee enemies which her 3 doesn't protect you from. When she drops out of aim glide you can double jump and aim again to stay airborne for even longer. There are also mods to double the height of your double jump, to remove gravity while aim gliding, providing a stable shooting position, extend the length of aim glide etc. Look up the set mods from the jupiter tile set, motus I think. Also you could use the helminth system when you get that far to replace airburst with novas transferable ability. If you are building for duration to get the most out of turbulence then you will get a large damage reduction and melee enemy deterrent. 

Hope this helps, there is a lot to zephyr but you really have to play and experiment to find what works for you. 

zephyr is great in open world maps where you can fly around with 1, archwing? what's that?

2 is a push pull ability that's more gimmicky than useful

3 in my opinion is rather unreliable, great in open world maps but in narrow corridors (which there are a lot) it gets tricky as one bombard or flamethrower enemy can ruin your day. not to mention toxin clouds and infested

4 is meh cc ability, can colour tornados in pretty shades so that's cool i guess

On 2020-10-26 at 6:57 AM, ReddyDisco said:

3 in my opinion is rather unreliable, great in open world maps but in narrow corridors (which there are a lot) it gets tricky as one bombard or flamethrower enemy can ruin your day. not to mention toxin clouds and infested

I disagree, I just use SpellBind instead of Zephyr's 1 which ignores all status. Quite good on Zephyr.

4 is meh cc ability, can colour tornados in pretty shades so that's cool i guess

I agree, it's a meh cc and a meh dmg dealing ability. Would be nice if they changed this to make it more reliable at either dmg or cc.

2 is a push pull ability that's more gimmicky than useful

Disagree again, I find this very useful as a pull, it works and does what it needs to for a quick cast ability.

2 hours ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

I know, just mentioned it because most players complain about or dont really know how to take advantage of her second Skill. I find it very useful.

Then Your first impulse should be finding a way to improve the ability. Not just default to “oh Helminth exists just replace the ability. Problem solved”.

14 minutes ago, MadMattPrime said:

Nobody is going to mention making her 3 recastable like chroma's vex armor? 

What for? Vex Armor stacks bonuses over time as you take damage to your Shield and Health so there is a reason it is recastable as it allows you to keep the buffs you have accumulated over time. Zephyr's Turbulence stacks no bonus with damage or over time so there is no need making it recastable.
Only change it needs is to be castable wile moving, something that it was for a week or two after her rework but the devs patched it out...

On 2020-10-28 at 10:07 AM, BiancaRoughfin said:

What for? Vex Armor stacks bonuses over time as you take damage to your Shield and Health so there is a reason it is recastable as it allows you to keep the buffs you have accumulated over time. Zephyr's Turbulence stacks no bonus with damage or over time so there is no need making it recastable.
Only change it needs is to be castable wile moving, something that it was for a week or two after her rework but the devs patched it out...

For convenience off course, I'm not asking it to be changed, I just want it to be recastable so the countdown timer of the skill resets. 

Did you forget that its also zephyr's only defensive skill and it does provide a buff if you use the augment, it provides a buff to projectile flight speed.

Making it recastable would allow us to keep it up most of the time. 

Archived