Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mastery Rank 8's Test — Thanks, I Hate It.

RealmsCrossMyths

4 hours ago, ES-Flinter said:

Is your problem that you have to wait 24 hours or that this test is to hard for you?

If it's to hard try the test in a relay  and look on you tube for some guides. I found a good one in less than a min.

• The test is likely arbitrary. I don't foresee a point where I will immediately fail a mission if I don't land on a small floating platform. I will likely be respawned, be able to jump diagonally due to it being a catwalk and not a platform, or will land on something below the platform and make my way up to try again with no limitation. AND in none of those scenarios do I see myself specifically needing to shoot something with specifically a pistol to create said platform. The other tests made sense; since it made sure I knew how to use at least one type of primary, secondary, or melee weapon, etcetera.

• The test forces you to equip a melee and primary weapon in order to take the test, then removes the ability to use them. Yet it doesn't force you into a specific warframe with a specific setup; since it was clearly intended to be done with a warframe that fall within certain stat ranges. Like putting a professional swimmer to try and judge the abilities of people just learning to swim; the professional swimmer is going to out perform.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb (NSW)that_girl:

The test is likely arbitrary. I don't foresee a point where I will immediately fail a mission if I don't land on a small floating platform. I will likely be respawned, be able to jump diagonally due to it being a catwalk and not a platform, or will land on something below the platform and make my way up to try again with no limitation.

Actually after a certain enemy level it's very likely that you will get killed, while you respawn on the map. One second is enough for a group of enemies to kill a frame without any activated abilities.

And let's not forget that we have some planets like Jupiter.

AND in none of those scenarios do I see myself specifically needing to shoot something with specifically a pistol to create said platform. The other tests made sense; since it made sure I knew how to use at least one type of primary, secondary, or melee weapon, etcetera.

Actually there is a scenario ingame where you have to activate a platform with your weapon. (it doesn't has to be the secondary, but it's almost the same) But I don't want to Spoiler where you will find these platforms. 

The test forces you to equip a melee and primary weapon in order to take the test, then removes the ability to use them.

It's an old safety mechanism that people won't accidentally start a Mr-test where they don't have the needed equipment for it. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb (NSW)that_girl:

Yet it doesn't force you into a specific warframe with a specific setup; since it was clearly intended to be done with a warframe that fall within certain stat ranges. Like putting a professional swimmer to try and judge the abilities of people just learning to swim; the professional swimmer is going to out perform

(Not sure if I did fully understand it, but...) The test can be done with any frame. The different stat. (Parcour-& sprint-speed) are only important if someone want to speed run this test.

This test was annoying, i remember being stuck with that for months not even willing to give it another try when i was a noob, but have you tried using Titania?

It's still annoying, but less so while flying.

Mod Dex Pixia for fire rate, not sure if the Razorwing Blitz augment would work with the orbs, i guess it doesn't, but you could also give that a try.

All you need in this test is speed.

On 2020-10-22 at 10:34 PM, (NSW)that_girl said:

it was clearly intended to be done with a warframe that fall within certain stat ranges.

No, there's not much difference in the parkour of most 'frames.

Just make sure sure to aim the reticle well above the platform you're jumping to, bullet-jump and use aim-glide where necessary to extend your jumps.

On 2020-10-22 at 10:34 PM, (NSW)that_girl said:

The test is likely arbitrary.

Not entirely. If in solo you don't always have all the time in the world to get where you need to be, and sometimes accurate jumping is the only way to get there fast enough.

And in co-op, you'll need parkour skills to keep up, particularly on some tilesets.

On 2020-10-23 at 2:46 AM, kgabor said:

have you tried using Titania?

It's still annoying, but less so while flying.

I just tested that that suggestion: Ability use is disabled.

On 2020-10-23 at 2:46 AM, kgabor said:

All you need in this test is speed.

Er, no? There's no time limit, so for the less experienced, it's best not to rush yourself.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb kgabor:

Might have mixed that up with another low MR test then.

Probably the MR 10 one.

But passive skills does still work and a passive which increase the high of bullet jumps (that was titanias passive, right?) could still be helpful for this test.

5 hours ago, ES-Flinter said:

But passive skills does still work and a passive which increase the high of bullet jumps (that was titanias passive, right?) could still be helpful for this test.

Passives do work, but...

Personally I found Titania's bullet-jump took quite a bit of getting used to when I first got her. Too much bullet-jump could increase the risk of overshooting the platforms.

Unless the player has got used Titania already, then doing the test with the 'frame the player is most familiar with is probably better IMHO.

On 2020-10-22 at 11:34 PM, (NSW)that_girl said:

• The test is likely arbitrary. I don't foresee a point where I will immediately fail a mission if I don't land on a small floating platform. I will likely be respawned, be able to jump diagonally due to it being a catwalk and not a platform, or will land on something below the platform and make my way up to try again with no limitation. AND in none of those scenarios do I see myself specifically needing to shoot something with specifically a pistol to create said platform. The other tests made sense; since it made sure I knew how to use at least one type of primary, secondary, or melee weapon, etcetera.

• The test forces you to equip a melee and primary weapon in order to take the test, then removes the ability to use them. Yet it doesn't force you into a specific warframe with a specific setup; since it was clearly intended to be done with a warframe that fall within certain stat ranges. Like putting a professional swimmer to try and judge the abilities of people just learning to swim; the professional swimmer is going to out perform.

you are way overthinking it 

99% of people do the test without writing long posts such as yours, and mostly even without even thinking about it - they just do it

why can't you just do it?

On 2020-10-22 at 1:19 PM, (NSW)that_girl said:

Don't run, basic jump: Not far enough.

Literally anything else: Overshoot the platform.

I failed four times in a minute and now I have to wait twenty four hourse to try again.

I'll probably be back; but that killed all interest I had in playing the game for now.

Hey Tenno, go to a relay, you should have access to a couple by now. Then fast travel to Cephalon Simaris, theres a corridor to one side where you can practice your next mastery test for free, failure doesn't lead to a wait, when practicing. Once you're able to do it a few times in a row, perfectly, you can go ahead and do the test at the same spot.

Like most of us, you probably want to practice 9 a few times as well when you pass 8.

Good luck. 😉

17 minutes ago, Traubenzuckr said:

99% of people do the test [...] without even thinking about it - they just do it

why can't you just do it?

I assume your "99%" is a verified figure, not just a number you pulled out of nowhere? I guess I'm in the 1% here then, as I flubbed this test 3 or 4 times IIRC. 😆

Can't speak for the OP, of course, but in my case it was partly because I played exclusively solo for months. Without having to worry about keeping up with a squad, there's no particular pressure in the early game to master the parkour manoeuvres.

Also, I had basically not played any video games for rather more than a decade, so in addition to having IMO fairly mediocre skillz in most games I'd ever played, I was also pretty rusty.

I had a bad habit of aiming my bullet-jumps too low, and colliding with the edge of the platform I was trying to land on. I'd subsequently try to compensate, overdo it, and overshoot. My response was to take the stairs, since it was in practice faster.

Parkour seemed like it'd be great fun when I'd had some practice and got the hang of it, but my focus was on completing the missions and unlocking the Star Chart. And for doing that, a simple roll gets you quickly from A to B -- and you get 75% damage reduction while rolling, for free. Bullet-jumping in combat just makes a clay pigeon out of yourself.

There was no practical impetus to spend time mastering the jumping... until the MR8 test slapped me down for not having done so.

I was in no hurry to increase my MR, so I was just took the test, failed, and went off on missions running around shooting things and having fun.

Now, if the present Jupiter tileset were on Venus it might look more reasonable to the player -- it's obvious that the gas city needs fine control of the jumping system to move around efficiently on some common tiles... and then the Mastery Test would verify the player had achieved this. That'd look logical.

As it is, for a player anxious to progress, of course it must be infurating to hit a wall because you have not mastered skillz which the actual game has not yet required for success.

11 hours ago, OmegaVoid said:

I assume your "99%" is a verified figure, not just a number you pulled out of nowhere? I guess I'm in the 1% here then, as I flubbed this test 3 or 4 times IIRC. 😆

Can't speak for the OP, of course, but in my case it was partly because I played exclusively solo for months. Without having to worry about keeping up with a squad, there's no particular pressure in the early game to master the parkour manoeuvres.

Also, I had basically not played any video games for rather more than a decade, so in addition to having IMO fairly mediocre skillz in most games I'd ever played, I was also pretty rusty.

you are definitely in the small percentile of people that start with such a heavy gaming skill handicap that you can't figure out the controls before getting to mr8

playing solo hurts tremendously as well

examples such as yours and OP's say nothing about the difficulty of MR8 as any assessment of difficulty presumes average skill

in the case of the two of you, this MR test is an extension of the tutorial, where the game tells you that you have come too far before mastering the controls, and "forces" you to learn them

in the case of 99% other players this test is nothing, just a formality

19 hours ago, OmegaVoid said:

I had a bad habit of aiming my bullet-jumps too low, and colliding with the edge of the platform I was trying to land on. I'd subsequently try to compensate, overdo it, and overshoot. My response was to take the stairs, since it was in practice faster.

Parkour seemed like it'd be great fun when I'd had some practice and got the hang of it, but my focus was on completing the missions and unlocking the Star Chart. And for doing that, a simple roll gets you quickly from A to B -- and you get 75% damage reduction while rolling, for free. Bullet-jumping in combat just makes a clay pigeon out of yourself.

There was no practical impetus to spend time mastering the jumping... until the MR8 test slapped me down for not having done so.

I was in no hurry to increase my MR, so I was just took the test, failed, and went off on missions running around shooting things and having fun.

Now, if the present Jupiter tileset were on Venus it might look more reasonable to the player -- it's obvious that the gas city needs fine control of the jumping system to move around efficiently on some common tiles... and then the Mastery Test would verify the player had achieved this. That'd look logical.

As it is, for a player anxious to progress, of course it must be infurating to hit a wall because you have not mastered skillz which the actual game has not yet required for success.

Same here. There was a lot of over and under shooting the jumps for me at first, but practice sorted it out pretty quickly. 

16 hours ago, Traubenzuckr said:

this MR test is an extension of the tutorial, where the game tells you that you have come too far before mastering the controls

Nope. You've "come too far before mastering" something when the missions require you to have mastered it to succeed.

In case it wasn't clear -- I made no attempt whatsoever to improve my parkour skills when I was at this stage. I simply jumped in the test, flubbed it, shrugged, and went off playing missions as normal.

And not developing parkour skills early on was no obstacle to completing missons either before or after the MR8 test. So like the OP said, it can look pretty irrelevant at the point the player reaches it.

17 hours ago, Traubenzuckr said:

playing solo hurts tremendously as well

Greatly reduces the onus on movement skills (you don't need to keep up with a squad), greatly increases the onus on combat skills (nobody's there to bail you out if you can't shoot straight). I didn't start playing in public matchmaking until I was happy that I didn't out-and-out suck at either.

I preferred to allow my judgement of jumping trajectories/aim-gliding to develop incidentally through experience, rather than faster through dedicated practice. And the game accomodated that.

What you asked was why the OP (and by extension any player) was not able to complete the test without difficulty. You've been given the answer: prior to this test, the game has no incentive for the player to take time out from fighting to practice jumping around. It's that simple.

1 hour ago, OmegaVoid said:

Nope. You've "come too far before mastering" something when the missions require you to have mastered it to succeed.

By the time you've reached the MR8 test, one would expect you to have reached (and passed) Jupiter. The Gas City tileset there does require you to be performing some parkour maneuvers. They are not particularly complex, but they are still significantly harder then the ones in the MR8 test.

Greatly reduces the onus on movement skills (you don't need to keep up with a squad), greatly increases the onus on combat skills (nobody's there to bail you out if you can't shoot straight). I didn't start playing in public matchmaking until I was happy that I didn't out-and-out suck at either.

Playing solo does still require you to learn the movement skills. You are not (usually) pressured to move fast, but you still you need to learn some precision for your jumps: while there is no team to keep up with, you still want to be able to get to the mission objective/extraction.

What you asked was why the OP (and by extension any player) was not able to complete the test without difficulty. You've been given the answer: prior to this test, the game has no incentive for the player to take time out from fighting to practice jumping around. It's that simple.

In my opinion, this is precisely the wrong way of viewing this test. What this test should teach you is to go and practice MR tests before you try to qualify.

Think about it: all the platforms are stationary and their placement is not in any way randomised. So you just need to figure out what jump type you need to do for each of the platforms. So go into practice (to have infinite attempts) and start trying things out. Once you figure out what jump works for a platform - do the same one on all further attempts. Write down the sequence if you have to (I suspect I may have done that at the time).

While the skill of jumping from platform to platform will develop more-or-less naturally as you play the game, the idea of going and practicing specific elements of the game won't. And it is a hugely important concept for successfully playing the game. If you disagree - try playing a sortie spy mission in a public squad!

Just now, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

By the time you've reached the MR8 test, one would expect you to have reached (and passed) Jupiter.

Maybe, but it's really at the discretion of the player how they divide their time between opening new nodes vs replaying nodes they've already completed.

Where you are on the Star Chart when you hit MR8 depends on how many 'frames and weapons you've crafted and leveled.

For myself, back when I downloaded Warframe, I was still using 32bit Windows and the plains of Eidolon crashed every time I tried to enter it. That meant I was stuck with Mercury, Venus and half of Earth for a few weeks until I found out how to re-jig the registry and allow applications more memory adresses. That kind of skewed my progression. 

It's a long time ago now, but I'm fairly sure I'd crafted the Miter (MR6) before reaching Phobos, so I was probably MR8 before even reaching Ceres.

I also didn't speed-run missions, and I ransacked the maps pretty thoroughly -- so things were tilted towards more crafting resources obtained (and therefore more wweapons built), to fewer Nodes unlocked.

And I played every Alert that came up, which farmed lot of stuff but didn't unlock any Nodes.

There's just no hard link between MR progression and Star Chart progression.

1 hour ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

In my opinion, this is precisely the wrong way of viewing this test. What this test should teach you is to go and practice MR tests before you try to qualify.

Nah. I didn't practice any of the tests until MR19. Most of them were plain sailing.

There's no wrong way of viewing anything in a video game. Provided you're having fun it's all good. (Until you're playing with other people, of course!)

1 hour ago, (NSW)BalticBarbarian said:

try playing a sortie spy mission in a public squad!

Lol, no thanks! I've pubbed Spy missions in Fissures, and it's only funny when the squad doesn't have to crack all three Vaults to not fail. 🤣

Plus, Spy is only fun if you don't cheese it. But that'd be a highly inconsiderate approach for me to take if three other players need me not flub my Vault. 😬

I feel your pain, and MR8 test took me ages to perfect. Once I had done it once (well, twice with practice) then I forgot about parkouring skills again. Its a nuisance, the fine control is something I feel some people get, others (like me) have great difficulty with. Maybe I'm missing something that others have realised, maybe I'm just rubbish at it, maybe my vertigo makes me get too anxious looking at the infinite drops of death.

And gas city - I've done that once to unlock it, Titania only from then on. Its a massive pain in the butt tileset. And then don't talk to me about the Octavia quest! I see some people have done that in 6 minutes in Suda's room, took me over an hour.

I find that kind of parkour really not fun. I don't mind it if I fail to land properly and just have to jump up again, its those infinite drops that do my health no good I reckon.

anyway, the wiki has steps on how to do it, a little practice (and realising how to jump up walls at just the right moment) will see you complete it reasonably easily. Don't rush it, take a long time between jumps to calm yourself and get ready for the next platform.

I would have to strongly disagree on this one!

1 hour ago, gbjbaanb said:

And gas city - I've done that once to unlock it, Titania only from then on. Its a massive pain in the butt tileset.

It was a real pain until I figured out aim-gliding. Has been really easy since them. Wukong's cloudwalker does make things faster, but you can easily go over all the large gaps without it once you figure it out

1 hour ago, gbjbaanb said:

And then don't talk to me about the Octavia quest! I see some people have done that in 6 minutes in Suda's room, took me over an hour.

It does take some time, but it's a really fun platforming quest. One of my favourites in the game.

But I guess, to each his own...

3 hours ago, OmegaVoid said:

And I played every Alert that came up, which farmed lot of stuff but didn't unlock any Nodes.

There's just no hard link between MR progression and Star Chart progression.

There is a soft link though: to craft a lot of the weapons, you need resources that are not available in the early parts of the starchart. When I was just starting playing Warframe, I had to push quite hard to Saturn because I couldn't get nano spores anywhere before that. I suspect you'd find similar issues with other resources too. You've avoided this via alerts, but that workaround does not really exist any more.

3 hours ago, OmegaVoid said:

Nah. I didn't practice any of the tests until MR19. Most of them were plain sailing.

I had a bit of a problem with MR 9 and (I think)17 tests before I got to 19. So I started using the practice room after the first time I failed the MR9 test.

But I guess it all depends on the way you normally play the game: my usual playstyle of "Me Rhino! Me Stomp!" was not very helpful during the stealth tests.

On 2020-10-26 at 9:49 AM, OmegaVoid said:

you have plenty of incentive to learn parkour, such as spy missions. simply moving faster in order to progress faster is also an incentive. there are other examples. 

but the underlying problem here is people playing solo. it's the wrong way to play warframe, especially when starting out. i know there are excuses such as bad connection, but they don't provide grounds for criticism of the game, only that - an excuse

edit: my original question was "why can't you just do it?"

and the answer is - being under a severe handicap in the form of slow skill acquisition, mostly due to playing solo

as a final thought on my part - if the question is if something should be done to make players with this handicap feel better? my answer would be a resolute no

Outside of bullet jumping I don't think anyone uses parkour except in solo modes.

I disagree about the solo thing - I always played each mission solo before public, simply because experienced players wuld jump off and complete the mission before I even figured out which direction to start going in. Public missions are never a way to learn anything, They're only valid once you already know and want to do it quicker or easier.

Archived