Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition to Allow Use of A Prime Weapon's Base Skin

(PSN)II2j-ZII

We can do it with frames, why not weapons?

Just a suggestion. More often than not (at least for me), when it comes to fashion frame the weapons are part of the look. Sometimes a prime weapons base skin works better with a particular look, and for obvious reasons, you'd likely rather use the prime version. I couldn't imagine this idea being unacceptable because we can already do exactly that with prime warframes themselves. So... what do you guys think?

Edit: Accidentally posted this twice and without any idea as to how to delete the duplicate. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

7 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

there are some Tenno weapons that have Alt-Skins which allow you to use them on the Primes.

I realize that, but you usually have to purchase those. Every prime warframe you craft comes with thier base variants skin and you can switch between them free of cost. This is not the case with prime weaopns.

34 minutes ago, (PS4)II2j-ZII said:

Just a suggestion. More often than not (at least for me), when it comes to fashion frame the weapons are part of the look. Sometimes a prime weapons base skin works better with a particular look, and for obvious reasons, you'd likely rather use the prime version. I couldn't imagine this idea being unacceptable because we can already do exactly that with prime warframes themselves. So... what do you guys think?

Edit: Accidentally posted this twice and without any idea as to how to delete the duplicate. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, regarding the last part, we can't really help you there, maybe a mod will spot it and remove it. But don't fret, we've all done it.

The prime skin/vanilla skin thing, I feel you, but even swapping skins on our warframes doesn't really work that way, the added bits remain, and it's always pretty obvious that it's not the vanilla version, at least from what I've seen. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, (PS4)II2j-ZII said:

Simple answer: A Prime Warframe uses the default version's model as a base for it's own. It's why Prime Toggles are an option for when something like a TennoGen skin is used. Prime Weapons on the other hand, are completely new models, meaning it's not as simple as removing some pieces from it. I do agree that it should be option, but it's important to understand why it's like that before claiming it would be easy. Also, you have to consider the fact that other alternative versions of weapons, like Prisma and Wraith, don't have these options either despite being mostly re-textures.

58 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

Simple answer: A Prime Warframe uses the default version's model as a base for it's own. It's why Prime Toggles are an option for when something like a TennoGen skin is used. Prime Weapons on the other hand, are completely new models, meaning it's not as simple as removing some pieces from it

The existence of numerous weapon skins that are in fact complete model swaps renders this moot.

1 hour ago, Scruffel said:

Simple answer: A Prime Warframe uses the default version's model as a base for it's own. It's why Prime Toggles are an option for when something like a TennoGen skin is used. Prime Weapons on the other hand, are completely new models, meaning it's not as simple as removing some pieces from it. I do agree that it should be option, but it's important to understand why it's like that before claiming it would be easy. Also, you have to consider the fact that other alternative versions of weapons, like Prisma and Wraith, don't have these options either despite being mostly re-textures.

Complete swaps is already a thing.

Spoiler

unknown.png

30 minutes ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

The devs have said they are looking in to enabling this. That prime frames can use default skins is basically a bug. However it's cool and casuses no harm so is left in. Making weapons work the same will take active work. I doubt it's a priority but hopefully we get it eventually.

any source on when did they ever said that?

1 hour ago, (PS4)Shelneroth said:

The devs have said they are looking in to enabling this. That prime frames can use default skins is basically a bug. However it's cool and casuses no harm so is left in. Making weapons work the same will take active work. I doubt it's a priority but hopefully we get it eventually.

Can you provide a source for anything you’ve stated?

Just now, Lancars said:

The Corinth would be the only issue as the base Corinth uses the superior single loading mechanic while the corinth prime uses the inferior magazine reload.

Still furious that they ruined Corinth’s prime.

”we had to make it magazine road because we increased the magazine size.”

Oh, if only there was some way to prevent yourselves from making a change that could ruin the most unique part of a weapon 🤦‍♂️ 

Just now, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

Oh, if only there was some way to prevent yourselves from making a change that could ruin the most unique part of a weapon 🤦‍♂️ 

That's the silly part. They didn't need to change the mag size. They put themselves in this corner on purpose because they could not grasp the superior single loading. They seem intent on sticking to the inferior style where at anytime your reload it interupted "Ooops i guess the magazine is magically empty even tho i put a new one in."

Problem is games can't seem to code in detecting if the new magazine is full if you get interrupted and just chamber the round. Nope you have to wait till the WHOLE animation is done then it will be full. This is why i don't bother with reloads. I'll use holster reloading mods or the spearguns cause they reload on throw.

I know there are some that love the Latron as is but i feel like it could use the Superior Single Loading mechanic.

Just now, Lancars said:

That's the silly part. They didn't need to change the mag size. They put themselves in this corner on purpose because they could not grasp the superior single loading. They seem intent on sticking to the inferior style where at anytime your reload it interupted "Ooops i guess the magazine is magically empty even tho i put a new one in."

Problem is games can't seem to code in detecting if the new magazine is full if you get interrupted and just chamber the round. Nope you have to wait till the WHOLE animation is done then it will be full. This is why i don't bother with reloads. I'll use holster reloading mods or the spearguns cause they reload on throw.

I know there are some that love the Latron as is but i feel like it could use the Superior Single Loading mechanic.

Corinth without it’s unique reload is just a generic shotgun. Genuinely upset that it’s prime didn’t retain this feature.

5 hours ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

The existence of numerous weapon skins that are in fact complete model swaps renders this moot.

4 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Complete swaps is already a thing.

I know those exists, except it's not what I am talking about. The models of a regular weapon and it's Prime variant are considered to be separate models, unlike how Prime Warframes use the base of the default versions' ones (besides Chroma Prime to an extent). So in order to add the option, DE would have to figure out a way to essentially give us a skin of an already existing model onto another without having it break in anyway and easily being 1:1 compatible.

Something like 2 years ago tennocon, a fan asked this directly to the person in charge of such work but he didn't quite understand the question and answered with something that missed the point... Then Reb redirected him to the actual point, to which it was responded with something along the lines of "we'll try".

That's what I remember at least.

2 hours ago, Scruffel said:

I know those exists, except it's not what I am talking about. The models of a regular weapon and it's Prime variant are considered to be separate models, unlike how Prime Warframes use the base of the default versions' ones (besides Chroma Prime to an extent). So in order to add the option, DE would have to figure out a way to essentially give us a skin of an already existing model onto another without having it break in anyway and easily being 1:1 compatible.

I don't think you quite grasp what you're saying.
You acknowledge, and agree that they already have the option for skins that are complete model swaps.  You're suggesting that somehow, for some bizarre reason, that for prime weapons they can't do a model swap to show the base version skin, even though for several weapons they can use skins (like the day of the dead stuff) that make the weapon use the base version's model.  The functionality is clearly already present.  This fact cannot be argued as it is provable by going into the game, and viewing the skin offerings for various weapons.  There's no need to worry about the skin of the base version breaking if you apply it to the prime version because they can just swap the model too.

There should be nothing to fix, there's no large amount of work to do, just whatever needs to happen to create a new skin, which because the models and skins already exist should be little more than creating a new skin entry with pointers to them.

5 hours ago, Lancars said:
5 hours ago, _R_o_g_u_e_ said:

That's the silly part. They didn't need to change the mag size.

They could even have kept the sequential reload -and- the larger mag by simply having it load four shells at a time.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Lollybomb said:

I don't think you quite grasp what you're saying.
You acknowledge, and agree that they already have the option for skins that are complete model swaps.  You're suggesting that somehow, for some bizarre reason, that for prime weapons they can't do a model swap to show the base version skin, even though for several weapons they can use skins (like the day of the dead stuff) that make the weapon use the base version's model.  The functionality is clearly already present.  This fact cannot be argued as it is provable by going into the game, and viewing the skin offerings for various weapons.  There's no need to worry about the skin of the base version breaking if you apply it to the prime version because they can just swap the model too.

I'm did not suggest that at all, I was just explaining how it currently works and how the implementation of base versions for Prime weapons most likely would be done. The quote I responded to in the first place was questioning why Warframes had the option, but not the other-way around. I overall agree with you, so I'm not sure why you're arguing. I only suggested it's not simple due to issues that can arise from trying to implement such skins. We can both argue on that point, but really, it's only speculation as we don't know how DE technically does their skins besides on a surface level.

6 hours ago, Scruffel said:

You've just described what I conveyed in the image.  Those are skins that I can apply to my Kitguns and many other secondary.  DE can take the base weapon skin and let us apply it to any variant of that weapon, already.  The technique is in the game in the form of the universal weapon skins I posted.  All they would have to do is lock the skins to the specific weapons, like they already do with generic weapon skins.

16 hours ago, Scruffel said:

Prime Weapons on the other hand, are completely new models, meaning it's not as simple as removing some pieces from it.

Thing is, we have a plethora of tennogen and in house weapon skins that are completely new models. Obviously i'm no professional but from what I've seen it is in fact, that simple.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding

Archived