Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Napalm Needs A Damn Nerf

GlobalTauntTeemo

On the contrary, nerfing the napalm would be a bad idea.

I play a Nova/Banshee, with a low shield cap, and, yes, I get destroyed by napalm units if i'm not careful.

That's a big part people seem to forget about this game sometimes, but you can take it slowly. When I rush into a room and see 3 napalm units glaring at me, holding destruction in their hands, and maniacally laughing (what?), my first instinct is not to think "crap" and bumrush them with my soma, but to take a step back, remember that I have useful abilities, and deteriorate their shields to the point that they are easily defeatable.

Plus, as a team, you can quickly, easily, and efficiently dispatch larger amounts of napalm/other elite enemies, if everyone works together. Remember, they can only focus on one player at a time, and the napalm jet takes a considerable amount of time to travel (even at close ranges), giving the Tenno a strong advantage.

With that being said, once you understand what works best for you, heavy units aren't even a thing to worry about anymore.

I wish I did make a screenshot of that room filled with 12 Napalm dudes just standing right in front of my cloaked Loki...

Imagine how I feel when my cloak runs out. If even 2 of them hit anything near me, Loki is instantly vaporized.

Annoying.

for starters the fx could at least give a hint as to the damage radius and duration - as it stands it lingers way longer and is comically small. other than that, use caution and don't rush mindlessly and stay on the move?

Edited by SlyBoots

I find they don't need a nerf. The difference is in normal missions they are used as a force multiplier, such as one of them in a group to try and surpress you. In this event, there are five or six on the field at a time, making a fire spam that can hit you anywhere. It's the numbers, not their power.

If they either indicated the correct explosion/burn radius with the graphical effect or reduced the AoE to a value that makes sense I'd be okay with it. However, as is I feel it has to be bugged because there is no logical way a firebomb can explode on the other side of a closed door and light me on fire when I've run half way across the room.

Last time I did grineer survival. I went as Mag. Bullet Attractor at max level and with max stretch makes a pretty big bubble. Though when I stuck one on a napalm, I was STILL getting hit by the fireballs blowing up at HIS feet, and I was well OUTSIDE the radius of that hilariously-large bubble. Maybe once I can max my Overextended, I can see if that could finally be enough to keep me safe.

On the contrary, nerfing the napalm would be a bad idea.

I play a Nova/Banshee, with a low shield cap, and, yes, I get destroyed by napalm units if i'm not careful.

That's a big part people seem to forget about this game sometimes, but you can take it slowly. When I rush into a room and see 3 napalm units glaring at me, holding destruction in their hands, and maniacally laughing (what?), my first instinct is not to think "crap" and bumrush them with my soma, but to take a step back, remember that I have useful abilities, and deteriorate their shields to the point that they are easily defeatable.

Plus, as a team, you can quickly, easily, and efficiently dispatch larger amounts of napalm/other elite enemies, if everyone works together. Remember, they can only focus on one player at a time, and the napalm jet takes a considerable amount of time to travel (even at close ranges), giving the Tenno a strong advantage.

With that being said, once you understand what works best for you, heavy units aren't even a thing to worry about anymore.

except when youre 5 minutes deep into a high level grineer survival mission and there are 100 of these things around.  you cant even run past them.  they just crush you completely.  sure, teamwork and good use of skill is a GREAT way to take down a high level elite unit... now what are you going to do about the 5 that are behind you?  plus, they don't even have to be facing you to damage you.  you cant evade them.  you just die.

I find they don't need a nerf. The difference is in normal missions they are used as a force multiplier, such as one of them in a group to try and surpress you. In this event, there are five or six on the field at a time, making a fire spam that can hit you anywhere. It's the numbers, not their power.

True enough, it's not their damage that's getting me (although the ridiculous, cover-ignoring AoE needs to be thought long and hard about) it's the fact that I literally can't see the enemies or move forward because the entire corridor in front of me is now on fire. I mean, sure, I got around this problem by waiting, but I've been pinned down for over a minute straight going "yup, still can't see" and "if I take a step out of cover I'll get shredded". It might not be OP, but it sure is the most tedious and frustrating experience Warframe has thrown at me yet.

It would be ok if they didnt have the AoE of the whole room,and taking cover being useless

The AoE is rediculous... the effect also isn't accompanied by any graphic that makes avoiding the effect intuitive.

To those above who say it is necessary for the game challenge, fine, but that is a balancing issue.  Fix the weapon and the projectile/explosion graphics then tune the damage to make it challenging  The napalm's abilities and behavior are reminiscent of old, old video games that were limited by hardware, where there was no logical indication of how your are being hurt/avoiding damage except for trial and error.

Considering this game isn't under such restrictions, it is bad design.  Other enemies in this game convey a feeling of immersion and justification of incoming damage very well!  A bullet hits you, you get hurt.  Good.  A napalm fires three rooms away, you get set on fire... wha?

Also, as a side note, don't you hate how you try to talk about balancing (and this is more than just balancing, it involves immersion design), and people try to use it as a chance to tell everyone how good they think they are?

Person creating discussion: "This element of the game could be improved"

Person who is insecure:  "I bullseye womprats... I ARE TOO GOOT FOR ViDEO GAME SCIENCE, turn off all sound and graphics so I can not win all time".  If you think you're that good, make twitch feeds or something.

Also, as a side note, don't you hate how you try to talk about balancing (and this is more than just balancing, it involves immersion design), and people try to use it as a chance to tell everyone how good they think they are?

Person creating discussion: "This element of the game could be improved"

Person who is insecure:  "I bullseye womprats... I ARE TOO GOOT FOR ViDEO GAME SCIENCE, turn off all sound and graphics so I can not win all time".  If you think you're that good, make twitch feeds or something.

^^^

This.

If I had $1 for every player who thinks he's "TEH PRO" I'd buy DE myself and make the decisions here.