Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To summarize, here is my opinion on the state of the game 2020.

MouadSaqui

Seeing what this community has become, after being over promised with transcending content, I still remember how we all expected to fly our ships from the previously called "Open Worlds" into outer space, we all know how it ended last Christmas, I wonder if DE still have plants for warframe since everything changed bcs of Covid, the obvious cannot be hidden anymore, DE doesn't understand the difference between "fun and difficult" and "fun and tedious" anymore, and I'm not here to bash on DE or the community, My problem is with the philosophy behind developing content in this game, the source of this influence is not forcefully DE themselves, maybe this is what being bought by tencent feels like for them..

warframe became a meme game at this point, a game that struggles to find an identity, that's it guys, warframe now is in a quarter life crisis like experience, its that point where you realize your own mortality, at the end of this phase you start having realistic goals and dreams, and the message I get from warframe's recently added content is that they still didn't move on from its identity crisis, We have new games on the horizon of success, and I know guys you will hate to hear this but the majority of you are probably playing Genshin Impact rightnow, Warframe streamers are playing it, even DE themselves, sure the steam chart warframe numbers don't lie, we all log in to get the daily reward anyway; but its takes one single Gacha game that is made in the Unity Engineto drive peoples away from playing warframe, The list of upcoming similar games is endless, Will warframe survive ? I don't know to be honest, for a game that require a lot of hardware power, with DE steve intentions to go full "next gen", my prediction for the game will be similar to any other game that ended up in a corner, Since we are not living the cyberpunk times yet, and still have a virus around, and most of people are broke, I don't think anyone will spend that much money on hardware upgrades, and any step towards that direction is very reckless...

a good example of a game that cornered itself bcs of the "developer's delusion", is bless online, Literally before they shut it down entirely, it was played by 10 people, probably the developers themselves, so its a common practice from game developers to not admit their failures, or maybe there's other reasons I don't know..

There is only one way to save this game, as Alan watts said : "the only way to make sense of change is to plunge into it, move with it and join the dance", DE needs to understand what's going on within the gaming industry, and make realistic roadmaps, and if you think about it Warframe doesn't need that much of innovation, reinventing the wheel will only hurt the core gameplay and we all see the state of the game right now, its a hybrid game that want's to be every single genre out there, which is impossible... and for genshin impact, Its a game that probably came out to stay for a long, and DE should be worried... brozime literally kept asking viewers what game should he plays and they all seems to want genshin impact, people are sick of warframe.... or maybe disappointed and hurt.. as for me personally, I do play the game casually now, I don't log on as much as I used to, and I still wants to play it... but if this non clear vision of warframe continues we all have a decision to make...

Just a note, I don't hate the game, I don't hate DE, I don't hate you guys, I'm just sharing my opinions... also, for my own sanity, I will not reply to any comments, I think i'll be okey with just reading yours. 

Thank you. 

I've got to be honest, I've pretty much stopped playing the game (so have most of my clan based on last login), which is surprising because I (we) really did enjoy playing the game.... but then it started going downhill from about the release of liches and then the final 'nail in the coffin' for me was heart of deimos, which actually made me not want to play the game. You might say I'm burnt out, but honestly it's not that, I'm playing a game that is arguably just as grindy (gta online)...

For me personally the issue is more about warframe moving far too far away from what actually pulled me... I was pulled in because of the warframes and the 'bite size' maps , you know the game that was there before the open worlds, before railjack etc.   I didn't want/need railjack, I don't want 'mech warrior', if I wanted to play those types of games there are dedicated games for it... I came to warframe to play as, shockingly, a warframe....

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the stance reworks on melee either, I use far fewer weapons now than I did before because I just don't like the stance on that class of weapon... and don't get me started on weapon balance between melee, secondary and primary...

From an external perspective all I can see at the moment with warframe is the dev's just going down the route of 'what they want to add' rather than 'what the game needs'... I see things being added because DE see's other games adding it (nightwave for example) but then it doesn't get the attention it needs, I see changes on the UI/UX which are ultimately worse than the old ones, just with more 'pretty pictures' (I don't like the current UI/UX) and to be perfectly blunt, far less important than improving things like liches (too grindy) and railjack (no reason to do it at all, especially when levelled, although I will say I do think the maps would work great as archwing only maps) etc....

We've had map reworks (corpus especially) which, for me at least, have made the maps less enjoyable, the huge corridors and open spaces just make the missions take longer, they're not more enjoyable because there are 'less enemies per inch' if you get me.   New open worlds are released with the same fundamental problems we complained about on the old ones or in the case of diemos, took a good part of one and made it really bad (ticker was great, the approach on deimos is not imo)

Throw in increasing grind/rng to try and push more plat sales which at least in my case has done the opposite, I actually chose not spend money on the game due to 'poor game decisions'...I doubt I'm alone in this. 

If I was to be completely honest, I think DE needs to take a step back from everything and really analyse what is 'important' in the game and what is just being added because 'they want to' or 'it's a cool idea', the current state of the game is basically down to the decisions they've made, even after receiving feedback from players etc. 

While fortnite is not the same game, DE could take some notice of their approach and focus on the core game and not just try and add things because other games are adding them. 

1 hour ago, MouadSaqui said:

[...] the source of this influence is not forcefully DE themselves, maybe this is what being bought by tencent feels like for them.. [...]

Well, that didn't take long, we are already putting on tinfoil at the first paragraph. 

Will Warframe survive? Probably not. But there's still quite a while until the game dies, plenty of money for DE to make out of it still.
It's a free to play game that I've played for literally thousands of hours, and haven't spent a single dime on since 2013, the year I started playing. To me, cashing out right now with all this time of free entertainment is still worth it, DE did their part and I did mine. Again, though, Warframe is not a dying game.

What's with this "Genshin Impact" stuff? I think I've heard of that game but definitely not even enough to know what it looked like before l searched for it. Not everyone plays the same games, and that looks like a VERY niche, anime-style, game. You can't say that game is responsible from pulling players out of Warframe. Warframe itself is responsible for that, for not having much gameplay prospects once you are MR30 and done everything. Come on, what kind of argument is that.

"X youtuber is not playing Warframe anymore", yeah, and the partner program ended, they have no reason to stick to Warframe only on their channel, and I imagine being handed everything for free for being a partner must have cut down a lot of their possible time playing. Not to mention, now that they were lowered from their golden podium, it's not as fun for them to keep making videos for the community.

People should go play other games and not burn out on a single game. No game is immune to these feelings of frustration if you play it too much. I've been with this game since closed Beta and I don't have any of the same complaints you have because I don't spend every second of my life playing while expecting to be blown away at every turn. I am a very casual player, and maybe it will come as a surprise to you but that's a large portion of the population of every game.

Every other Youtuber likes to throw out their baseless predictions of "Half the players will quit" or "Now Warframe is dead" or "Tencent has gone too far???". It's far from it. DE has their own vision and have decided not to conform to the 'industry standards'. They are in no hurry, and neither am I as a casual consumer. They are doing just fine and have maintained their own unique identity and niche audience. These forums are just an echo chamber for a small sample of the overactive players who have turned to the forums now because they played the game too much and need other forms of stimulation and validation for their frustration from others alike.

Quit and go play other stuff. Maybe you'll come back, maybe you won't. It's for your own good at this point.

I've played Genshin Impact and while I think the game looks fine and the open world is interesting to explore they absolutely shot themselves in the foot by making it too much like a mobile gacha game by gating everything you need to do in order to progress behind a stamina system.

Say what you will about Warframe but the day they lock the grind behind an asinine stamina system is the day the game dies for good.

Like imagine having to wait a entire week to beat every major boss in the game once for a chance at getting a random piece of a Warframe you wanted.

Yeah no thanks.

What the game really needs is content where we enter the place or the open world and collect things to be able to deliver goods between game characters ... the prize can be very random things from void traces, rivens, rivens slivers, varied materials / resources. And extremely rare weapons. The game needs a dose of unpredictability and curiosity ... knowing beforehand what we can win is something not very motivating. More challenges are needed. Railjack could receive this treatment after all, we are flying in space and anything could happen there ....

I think its also worth pointing out that you're comparing Warframe to a gacha game when gacha games are notoriously predatory and have considerably lower lifespans compared to most F2P MMO-like games.

I will admit the current state of Warframe is unfocused to say the least but I have some faith that DE will eventually see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel and straighten things out.

7 hours ago, MouadSaqui said:

and for genshin impact, Its a game that probably came out to stay for a long, and DE should be worried... brozime literally kept asking viewers what game should he plays and they all seems to want genshin impact, people are sick of warframe.... or maybe disappointed and hurt..

as someone who plays Genshin Impact as well, I wouldn't worry too much. as good as GI is, people always say that *name of the latest craze* will destroy warframe". it happened with Destiny 2, it happened with Anthem (before we realized how bad it was) it'll happen with pretty much any game that features combat of any sort. then it will become less popular and/or warframe gets a big update and all eyes are on DE again. it's just the way things are, and have always been. GI isn't a game for everyone, and that's fine, It's not normally the kind of thing I play either but it was free and it can keep me occupied outside of Warframe, if nothing else. it sure as hell won't replace warframe for me, but when there's no events on, I have everything and it's months until the next prime, it'll do nicely.

I'm starting to feel like people forget that you can actually play other games and still be a fan of warframe. games aren't gonna get mad at you if you "cheat" on them with another game for a while, you know... with people, it's a different story lol.

On one hand, they are having to program things that has never been done before, or even know if's possible.

How can you set a timeline for that. Then if certain parts refuse to work you stall progress for everyone.

On the other hand knowing that, don't hype anything before you are sure you can deliver - look at cyberpunk, again, doing the same mistake for the third time in a row in 8 monhts.

I don't know what it is with game developers wanting to show trailers of unfinished gameplay.

If anything you need to always undersell yourself - there is no room for something exceeding expecations when you go for max hype.

I'd just tell people, alright look guys we can't get it work it keeps crashing and it's terrible, sorry. Then not too long after release it anyway under the narrative of "the impossible", now working.

No one would be spiteful then, positively surprised they got to play it at all, and accepting of the problems in relation to the promises.

Sometimes trading in-game with people that feel pressed on plat or down on the situation, I tell em "I can't sell it for 40 plat" (long pause), got them sitting there down their expectations down, bumped out etc. Then go... I can sell it for 20 though.

Sometimes even 5 plat can get people doing caps and exclamation marks in chat, because it's all about the context of the expectations.

The last mother#*!%ing thing you want to do is, is telling your kid you are taking them see santa at the mall, then come around later and tell them it isn't happening, because you #*!%ed up.

You underpromise first and then you over-deliver.

Genshin Impact is a well made game and it's fun.  Now let's get to the other part about it.  It's super grindy, even way more so than Warframe once you get to the back half.  A single character can cost as much as a few prime accesses if you want to unlock their true potential.  People are in the honeymoon phase, wait until they get their adventure rank to 30 and wanna upgrade characters.  There will be an audience sure, but Warframe has nothing to worry about regarding that game.

the problem isn't about the existence of grind, the problem is for what purpose do we grind

In many other mmo (including genshin since it was mentioned), we grind for stronger gears to fight stronger enemies...

in warframe, we grind for what purpose? mastery rank? no, most people probably agrees mastery rank means nothing. To be stronger? No, roughly 90% of the weapons in game can handle 90% of the game's content even without rivens. We are constantly thrown excessively toned down enemies to the point that the only difficulty in warframe is not falling asleep mid mission. plat? for longer time players there really isn't much to spend plat on outside of rivens... something the community actively wants to be irrelevant. 

If warframe is a fun game without much grind, this wouldn't be much of a problem as there are many games that people play purely because they enjoy it. However, what do we see with the recent updates? meaningless grinds, lots of it.  Liches and railjack were already massive grindfests, and deimos is far worst. Deimos was essentially a mixture of bugs, grinds, "slowing measures" that does nothing but add frustration. 

What DE needs to understand, is that 1 hour of content with 99 hours of grind is not 100 hours of content. Pouring a ton of grind into each update isn't adding a lot of content into the game. We can already see that not many people play liches these days, the same for railjack. Why? because it isn't fun, people play the game not because they want to grind their brains out, they play it to have fun, or perhaps to spend time with friends. Neither railjack nor liches succeed in keeping a high player count per day because what these 2 really only have, is meaningless grind. Deimos is pretty much doomed to follow suit as will future updates if they don't change their mindset.

In addition when the grind is too much, instead of having players spend more time on the "new content" (which it isn't, since it is just mindless grind), we have casual players who opt out of it as well as tryhards burning themselves out and never ever revisiting it because they are beyond sick of it from experiencing the full grind.

The game has been going in a downward spiral for a while, and will likely continue to do so. Anyone who have took a glance over their 2019 financial reports as well as the ones for the first half of 2020 would realize that the game isn't doing all that great. Successful updates such as war within, sacrifice, was successful not because of grind, and to be honest, I believe that deimos was the second worst update since I started playing in U12 / U13, and only SOTR can beat it in terms of how bad it is.

Warframe is dieing for as long as I can remember it. The game is dieing for 7 years in a row now.

Will it ever finally die? Yes, everything comes to an end eventually.

But now, as I am crossing out a field in my this week's Bingo card, I'm curious, can you show me a precedent of any other non-PVP game surviving for 7 years and counting? I am genuenly curious now, because I can't think of any from the top of my head.

And Warframe survived this long without even being in the puplic consciousness much, if at all. I've never heard enybody talking about the game anywhere. That one time on The Game Advertisements show, where 26 mil. registered loosers meme was born, was the only public spotlight the game have enjoyed throughout its 7-years-long death.

And what some randome chineese cartoon game (dont give me the usual "ItS cAlLeD aNiMe" crap, according to google it is literally a chineese game with cartoon style visuals) has to do with anything here?

14 hours ago, (PS4)Madurai-Prime said:

Different strokes for different folks. I think Genshin Impact looks terrible and I won't be touching it. 

I like warframe and I'll continue to play it.

Sorry you felt the game hurt your feelings too much. I'm sure Genshin impact or any other game you play totally won't do that at all lol.

By hurt feeling im shore OP means the false promises DE has made over the years, to keep players from leaving the game…  I for one picked up the game after Tennocoin 2018.    And since that time. DE have made Sean murrays pre-launch overhype seem like child’s play... two year latter and I don’t believe half the stuff they say…  I still love the game .  but don’t trust the devs…

I think there are three main issues to Warframe at the moment:

• There is no clear direction with the game's ongoing development, such that one cannot really know if the devs plan to make genuine improvements in the style of the Jovian Concord or Deadlock Protocol, or sink far too much time and money into short-lived content islands like Deimos, Railjack, and so on. To this day, far too much hype seems to be centered around big projects, when there are over a hundred little fixes that could provide easy wins, and significantly improve the game's quality of life.
  • The developers do not seem to learn from their mistakes, and while the game does sometimes improve and expand in durable ways, often it does not, and sometimes feels like it's regressing. For example, whereas we once briefly had fleshed-out, even cinematic quests for new warframes, now they're at best lumped in together with some other barely-related quest, and at worst unceremoniously thrown into a bunch of loot tables.
  • DE have failed to properly cultivate a healthy player-developer relationship and thus allowed it to degrade over time, making it harder for either side to hear one another (it does not help that the developers have misled us on several occasions, and made many lofty promises that they still have yet to deliver). It feels like we're still expected to treat the game as if it were the fresh new kid on the block, a diamond in the rough, when the game is now seven years old and can no longer excuse its lack of polish.

With this in mind, I think the game is still doing well, but its overall current strategy I think is unsustainable, as the devs seem desperate to retain players via their traditional means, i.e. releasing content so overly padded as to damage its enjoyment, without any consideration for how it connects and durably adds to the rest of the game, and don't seem to realize that it is this very strategy that is causing their player count to stagnate. At this stage, the company's internal mismanagement problems have become common knowledge, and there needs to be a culture shift if the game is to move in a solid direction. Whether anyone at DE will ever initiate that, however, I'm not sure.

I do enjoy warframe from time to time but at this point, I only log in for new content then after doing everything in the new content, I'll just log in & grab whatever I get.

If I get an Exp booster,Resource booster,resource drop chance booster etc.

I don't even play the game as it feels extremely grindy. It's tiring veterans, some casual players & those that don't get tired of warframe does the obvious to continue playing the game.

DE is gonna learn eventually that the path they are choosing to go down & not improve the game or set an actual roadmap realistically is going to be the end of warframe.

When tennocon & Dev streams aren't going on, what i've seen the most is warframe having under 1k viewers watching on twitch.

As for playerbase, obviously its thriving & there's millions of players playing the game but if DE is trying to rack in new players with trailers,teasers etc.

I feel trying to get more viewers on twitch or youtube or whatever platform can stream warframe would bring in new players but with the decisions that they made, that's not happening.

Even if they do bring in new players, the tutorial they have setup is horrendous, if the new players coming in doesn't have a friend to teach them how to mod,fight bosses in a specific way or to do stuff then they have to resort to youtube videos & the wiki fandom.

Having to resort to Wiki Fandom or youtube videos is pretty bad in the sense that DE doesn't have a good tutorial setup for new players to help them stick around.

I honestly wouldn't be playing warframe for 7yrs if I didn't resort to wiki fandom or youtube, obviously my experience with the tutorial & the way DE treats their game is my experience only & I can't speak for everyone but if DE doesn't focus more on content & less on fashion then they're going to feel it soon, maybe not this year or next year but the player base is going to eventually get tired of DE's actions.

I think its slightly started with calling DE scott salty in a devstream regarding the statistics for warframes most subsumed & warframe abilities being replaced.

I think that's the start of it so all we can do is provide feedback (even if DE ignores said feedback) & criticize the game out of love (even if the toxic part of the community says otherwise & tells players to leave if we don't like it.)

Archived