Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A fresh new start for "Warframe 2"

Nailclipper

Also could be called "Warframe 2035" or "Warframes". 

There are several scenarios which I imagine could play out:

1. SUN: After the final battle against the Sentients, they are now weak and desperate to survive. Seeing the impending chaos since the common enemy is gone, the Tennos take it to themselves to rule the solar system and basically become their former Orokin masters. Could be the next main antagonist.
  2. MOON: The Tennos are gone sacrificing themselves for the solar system at the final battle against the Sentients thus breaking the cycle and leave what left of "humanity", cephalons, and maybe the remaining sentients to choose their own fate.
  3. NEUTRAL: The few remaining Tennos choose to hide and refuse to directly interfere with "humanity". They would offer their assistance if you manage to find them (since this proves that your cause is worthy of their attention). Maybe if the situation is dire enough, they would come to aid you in battle.

By not playing as a Tenno in the next installment, we could start the next game with a fresh concept. For example we could bring the mobility of our future "warframes" down in order for it to be more in line with the enemies' mobility (this also ties to PvP or adjusting the gameplay mechanics/difficulty). We could also introduce some new transference mechanics where transfering in/out of frames is not without cost (or maybe could only be done in certain scenarios/situations).

I think a similar thing happens in Titanfall 2 where post Battle of Demeter titans are just lesser derivatives of the former ones (pre-Demeter, the original titans). I haven't played them though so I could be wrong. We can say that the next "warframes" in WF2 could exist mainly because of Alad V's work. Hell, let's just say that in WF2 the frames are now semi-sentient suits, that would be cooler than the current ones! (totally not inspired by Anthem or Ironman)

Ok, several things wrong with this.

First, whilst sequels for large-scale, updated games aren't entirely unheard of, they're either due to major technical reasons (Engine reaches its limits or isn't supported by the hardware it's primarily played on anymore), corporate mandates, or extreme mechanical issues. And by extreme, the only example I know of for that last one is Final Fantasy 14. Warframe isn't so bad that it needs a reset button - for all the benefits it can hypothetically provide, there's equally massive, and usually much more serious drawbacks.

The actual changes suggested seems somewhat arbitrary, and just 'change for the sake of change'. Why stop playing as the Tenno? Why move away from being a mobility shooter? Why potentially cast the players as having suddenly turned to the villains? In the case of the latter, remember, DE has not done what Destiny has done. There are minimal NPC Tenno, with the implication being that every Tenno is a player. Which means that casting them as the villains is casting the playerbase as the villains.

22 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

The actual changes suggested seems somewhat arbitrary, and just 'change for the sake of change'. Why stop playing as the Tenno? Why move away from being a mobility shooter? Why potentially cast the players as having suddenly turned to the villains? In the case of the latter, remember, DE has not done what Destiny has done. There are minimal NPC Tenno, with the implication being that every Tenno is a player. Which means that casting them as the villains is casting the playerbase as the villains.

Supposedly we pursue the "SUN" option as the canon ending, we'd indeed become the next main antagonist.

That we aren't Tennos anymore is just a literary device so DE can make the next Warframe with a new concept (it's also a way out if this current Warframe later becomes a mess), for example if they want to reduce players' mobility since it's a current balance problem in Conclave/PvP (just an example, I'm not suggesting it in this thread). There could be another backstory of course, you can create one.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

Gene Wilder Reaction GIF

I can't even imagine how boring warframe would be if we weren't playing as the Tenno: it would be like every generic sci-fi universe ever, only worse. sorry but this is a terrible idea.

Well, not really. Warframe's universe is fairly distinct, so it could in theory work out.

Still, I can only really see it working well as a spin-off to the main game. Playing as a Scavenger or Mercenary in a world where the Tenno are still active. Example setpieces could include scuffles with Grineer and Corpus far out of your league, dealings with parts of the Syndicates we the Tenno never see, or a finale set during a Sentient/Tenno conflict, fleeing as the world goes straight to hell around you, gods and demons fighting. Bonus points if around the time of it's release, there was an event or new content added where you played as the Tenno side of that battle. That could be fun.

Still, not sequel material.

28 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Well, not really. Warframe's universe is fairly distinct, so it could in theory work out.

Still, I can only really see it working well as a spin-off to the main game. Playing as a Scavenger or Mercenary in a world where the Tenno are still active. Example setpieces could include scuffles with Grineer and Corpus far out of your league, dealings with parts of the Syndicates we the Tenno never see, or a finale set during a Sentient/Tenno conflict, fleeing as the world goes straight to hell around you, gods and demons fighting. Bonus points if around the time of it's release, there was an event or new content added where you played as the Tenno side of that battle. That could be fun.

Personally, my dream is for Platinum Games to handle a prequel set in the Orokin era. Playing as a Dax with Platinum's signature stylish gameplay? Instant fave right there.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

Destiny and the Division would like a word.

Destiny 2 was extremely contentious for its first year, and the original Division was barely a live service.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Wil_Shatner_face said:

Sure, I just think “live service games are not meant to have sequels” is a bit of a broad generalization that doesn’t always apply.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be "Sequels to live-services are a bad idea".

8 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Personally, my dream is for Platinum Games to handle a prequel set in the Orokin era. Playing as a Dax with Platinum's signature stylish gameplay? Instant fave right there.

That would be an insta-buy. There's a lot of fun stuff that you could do. Settings ranging from pre-old War, to the old war - maaayyybe even playing as an established character? Teshin, perhaps, or even Umbra's original self since he was apparently an absolute god-tier Dax back in the day. Maybe a Halo Reach style story about the end of the old War? You're deployed to quell uprisings, retake land and we even get a bombastic final boss against Hunhow pushing him into the tomb on Uranus. But no matter how hard you fight... you know how this story ends.

9 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

That would be an insta-buy. There's a lot of fun stuff that you could do. Settings ranging from pre-old War, to the old war - maaayyybe even playing as an established character? Teshin, perhaps, or even Umbra's original self since he was apparently an absolute god-tier Dax back in the day. Maybe a Halo Reach style story about the end of the old War? You're deployed to quell uprisings, retake land and we even get a bombastic final boss against Hunhow pushing him into the tomb on Uranus. But no matter how hard you fight... you know how this story ends.

Getting kidnapped by Wally to be put in a crossover event / nightwave lasting half a year in the main game as a boss to get a new weapon from?  :P

4 hours ago, Nailclipper said:
  • SUN: After the final battle against the Sentients, they are now weak and desperate to survive. Seeing the impending chaos since the common enemy is gone, the Tennos take it to themselves to rule the solar system and basically become their former Orokin masters. Could be the next main antagonist.
  • MOON: The Tennos are gone sacrificing themselves for the solar system at the final battle against the Sentients thus breaking the cycle and leave what left of "humanity", cephalons, and maybe the remaining sentients to choose their own fate.
  • NEUTRAL: The few remaining Tennos choose to hide and refuse to directly interfere with "humanity". They would offer their assistance if you manage to find them (since this proves that your cause is worthy of their attention). Maybe if the situation is dire enough, they would come to aid you in battle.

Yuo have Sun and Moon opposite - the moon guys drank the kool aid whilst the sun guys poured it away. So its the moon lot who want to rule the galaxy just like the Orokin.

As for the neutrals... I want to be BA 'tenno' Baracus. "Quit your jibba jabba, you ain't getting me in no archwing, fool".

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

The idea I had was that the first half of the game would be set pre-Old War (tasking the player with quelling uprisings as you suggest), with the Sentient Rebellion beginning at the mid-point. After that would be a time-skip to its later years, and the second half would be primarily about fighting the Sentients (and the odd seditious colony). Tenno might make brief appearances, but only as cameos (and the occasional stylish scripted sequence).

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Agreed, there's no significant reason why those couldn't just be added into Warframe as is, perhaps as an opt-in quest-line, along the lines of: The new war has gone horribly, horribly wrong, the Sentients have taken over where their erstwhile creators left off, but their tyrrany is unmatched. They are hunting down the remaining Tenno, who have all gone into hiding, blending in with the now enslaved Grineer, Ostron and Corpus population with the syndicate members, while struggling to survive and evade capture. You are our only hope of victory, and your victory is the only chance for our survival. Tenno, will you help us?"

1 hour ago, gbjbaanb said:

Yuo have Sun and Moon opposite - the moon guys drank the kool aid whilst the sun guys poured it away. So its the moon lot who want to rule the galaxy just like the Orokin.

Could be, but Warframe isn't clear on what the Sun, Neutral, and Moon alignment means.

In Glass Gambit (Nidus quest), you try to cure the girl choosing Sun while you just send her home and leave her fate to her tribe as Moon. In The Sacrifice (Umbra quest) when you are asked what to do with your experience in the Void/ship, you say "I use it to fuel my wrath (against the enemies)" as Sun and "I return this memory to the Void and find peace in emptiness" as Moon.

Perhaps in general, Sun is about following your ideals and trying to change the universe "for the better" (according to you) while Moon is about viewing things as what they are. That's why the Sun Tenno refuses to drink the staff Kuva because he/she associates it with the enemies (Grineer queens) and surely doesn't want anything to do with it. But actually the game indirectly tells us that the Moon Tenno is right because Kuva is the most wanted thing in the game because of Rivens.

Warframe 2 is both a good idea and rather infeasible.

Good because the developers really do need a fresh slate, they're working with spaghetti code. That's why raids had to die, every fix broke something.

Infeasible because of the very reason we have spaghetti code: there's too much stuff. Stuff we've earned, stuff we've bought. They can't really jettison anything. They would have to rebuild the entire game and more

Archived