Please note, we originally planned on shipping TennoGen Round 19 Part 2 today (October 29), but we instead are pairing it with The Great Ensmallening: Part 2 to release next week. There main reasons for this is we have some internal deadlines that are critical we hit and getting ‘The Great Ensmallening: Part 2’ lined up today internally was an extremely logical choice. We are sorry for the delay, but trust us, it’ll be worth it!“

Oh it will be worth it when i give Garuda a new Skin 😉

Edited by GPrime96
2 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

I'm sorry, but I see no improvement in those comparison shots. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that a basic sharpening filter has been applied to the textures. That does not make the scene look better even in a static shot, let alone in motion. Especially the ground in the second comparison just ends up looking grainy. You don't want eye-catching, attention-drawing detail on irrelevant terrain details in a game; that's an error modders often make. That's the feel I get from these screenshots, the change to these textures looks like something made by a novice Skyrim modder and uploaded under the title "HD Retexture Pack", with a total of 37 downloads after six years. He never went on to make another mod afterwards.

At least the install size is going to get smaller again, I guess.

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=625eb12e-1a21-11eb-83c8-ebb5d6f907df

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=8f3849f8-1a21-11eb-83c8-ebb5d6f907df

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose/latest/embed/index.html?uid=a5577d12-1a21-11eb-83c8-ebb5d6f907df

Still see no improvement?

• Like 6
13 minutes ago, Erra said:

...So you sharpened the textures. Greaaaat.

Why not add an optional "Ultra Textures" download?

The main focus of the update is to reduce file size, the sharper textures are a plus. If they were to give 4K textures or something like that it would defeat the whole purpose of the smallening update. Sure, they may put that as an option, but it isn't the focus right now. [DE] Steve is working on graphic updates, though.

Edited by HolySeraphin
  • Like 2
Just now, HolySeraphin said:

The main focus of the update is to reduce file size, the sharper textures are a plus. If they were to give 4K textures or something like that it would defeat the whole purpose of the smallening update.

I said optional. Players still benefit from the smaller textures and have the choice to download higher-resolution textures if they have the disk space.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

I'm sorry, but I see no improvement in those comparison shots. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that a basic sharpening filter has been applied to the textures. That does not make the scene look better even in a static shot, let alone in motion. Especially the ground in the second comparison just ends up looking grainy. You don't want eye-catching, attention-drawing detail on irrelevant terrain details in a game; that's an error modders often make. That's the feel I get from these screenshots, the change to these textures looks like something made by a novice Skyrim modder and uploaded under the title "HD Retexture Pack", with a total of 37 downloads after six years. He never went on to make another mod afterwards.

At least the install size is going to get smaller again, I guess.

I see the differences, The material is more “leather like” on the braton’s grip. Yes sharpening is obviously included, but I can see they manually replacing the texture material with a better higher res one, the braton is a good example. Sharpening can only do so much before you start to see over sharpening effects that made the texture terrible.

You may not care about it, but it does make people who likes attention to detail like me happy. And happy players means means more MULA coming from them.

Edited by DrivaMain
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, IgnisWings said:

These changes seem to make the game stagger more on traditional HDDs... is that just me?

I have no idea if this is caused by the Great Ensmallening changes, but yeah, as another HDD user, my game has been getting hella unstable as well.

Like, the best case scenario these days is that I'll get a few "step lag" spikes (like, momentary screen freezing) several times in a mission or in my ship. But as I play the game for longer periods of time (>~30min; even less if I spend a nonzero amount of time in Open World or Railjack), the lag spikes will rapidly increase in frequency to the point that the game feels unplayable. It "feels" similar to memory leakage, but seems to be rampant throughout the game now.

This is coming from a system that, until a couple months ago, would stay at a buttery smooth >60FPS under nearly all circumstances.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Sharpening can only do so much before you start to see over sharpening effects that made the texture terrible.

That's my point exactly.

7 hours ago, Ascythian said:

Nope. I see the difference, I always have, I just don't consider it an improvement. See above.

Can you PLEASE make sure this time the "smallening" update does not require to be downloaded in one gulp?

Game's launcher refused to save download progress last time around even after small hiccup from patch server.

This resulted in countless players being locked from the game for days.

It's not about our connection speed, it's about you triple checking if the process is stable.

Thanks.

12 hours ago, IgnisWings said:

These changes seem to make the game stagger more on traditional HDDs... is that just me?

Spindle HD's are dead, my dude/dudette/duderino/xe/xer/xhaxhaxha. They've been the bottleneck in I/O throughput for over a decade, and them days just like floppies and tape and CD are done.

I don't see any difference here other than the "before" shots having a bit more contrast in certain materials (the crate in image pair 1, the cobblestones near to the camera in image pair 2) than the "after" shots.

Still, that's not the point. The image quality is basically the same, but the file size will be going down - which I believe was the original purpose of these changes.

EDIT: do not forget that we STILL have autoexposure being forced on us. When are we going to get back the option to disable it?

Edited by DoomFruit
15 hours ago, IgnisWings said:

10 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

I have no idea if this is caused by the Great Ensmallening changes, but yeah, as another HDD user, my game has been getting hella unstable as well.

Like, the best case scenario these days is that I'll get a few "step lag" spikes (like, momentary screen freezing) several times in a mission or in my ship. But as I play the game for longer periods of time (>~30min; even less if I spend a nonzero amount of time in Open World or Railjack), the lag spikes will rapidly increase in frequency to the point that the game feels unplayable. It "feels" similar to memory leakage, but seems to be rampant throughout the game now.

This is coming from a system that, until a couple months ago, would stay at a buttery smooth >60FPS under nearly all circumstances.

These Updates being so massive, might have fragmented you WF installation a lot, which will lead to awful read times on regular old HDDs. Consider running a long defrag at some point and test again.

• Like 1

Speaking of improving graphics - please fix the blinding brightness of adaptive exposure in some maps and terribly inconsistency between new levels being dark while some older ones like Void being overbright. 

WLQAxtF.jpeg

• Like 2
15 hours ago, SordidDreams said:

That's my point exactly.

Nope. I see the difference, I always have, I just don't consider it an improvement. See above.

OK so which is the more detailed one, this one

Before3.jpg.b998204c0f4398c92197c2bc3622

or this one?

After3.jpg.8335ac63302cd8c395dac62fcf441

On 2020-10-29 at 5:25 PM, DariusMcSwag said:

And yet, despite all of these improvements, Mars, Eris, and the Derelict will still look terrible :)

And Earth, Venus, Ceres, and the Grineer Asteroid. Seriously. Go back and look at the texture detail for most of the assets on those maps. It's really not high quality. And that doesn't even address the low quality character models and textures (like all of the Corpus faction, which needs a redesign at this point).

It's nice that they're reducing the size of the game. That's the biggest thing here. But it would also be nice if Warframe improved its aesthetic, namely textures, models, and animations.

Edited by OniDax
22 hours ago, Ascythian said:

OK so which is the more detailed one, this one or this one?

Same amount of detail in both. A sharpening filter does not and cannot add detail that wasn't there before.

Edited by SordidDreams