Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

GUANDAO PRIME OR ORTHOS PRIME

1gris

6 hours ago, ETmeister said:

Good afternoon guys, in your opinion, which weapon is more powerful? And why?

Leave your build in the comments.

Guandao Prime is more crit-focused than Orthos Prime.

You need to ask yourself which type of weapon you prefer.

Guandao generally has higher burst DPS potential due to the higher crit stats but Orthos Prime can theoretically scale condition overload a bit better due to the higher status chance.

IMO Guandao Prime comes out on top. You can still effectively gain the bonus damage from viral while having considerably higher burst potential.

Orthos has higher Attack Speed, Guandao has higher Damage/Crits. and strangely a longer Hit Counter.

unless you have a major hardon for Attack Speed (which caps out at like 3.5 or 4x, somewhere around there), Guandao is just better.

no, the Status Chance on Orthos isn't relevant. good Status and super high Status is effectively the same thing on a Melee Weapon.

They're both good. I seriously doubt you would notice a functional difference between them. Almost all melee weapons are good, because most of their power comes from mods like Condition Overload and Blood Rush rather than their base stats. As a result, I still find I clear rooms faster with Exodia Hunt polearm zaws. Build for max crit and speed, stack range and speed mods, use the Twirling Spire forward+click gap closer slam combo, suck the entire room into the meat grinder. You don't need to build for status chance to take advantage of CO since you can get so many procs from your frame abilities, sentinel weapon, and/or Kuva Nukor.

In favour of Guandao Prime:

• Does around ~25% more raw DPS than OrthosP (~45% more damage per swing, but 17% lower swing speed) when using the exact same build. (This is calculated assuming 12x combo with Blood Rush and Organ Shatter.)
    • Enhancing crit stats (e.g. with a full Gladiator set on a Deconstructor) will negligibly widen this gap.
  • With Berserker, OrthosP's speed is so high that combos break for many players (since they can't comfortably mash E fast enough to keep up with its swings). If this happens to you, then OrthosP's speed advantage is worthless.
    • This is especially important when using Warframe abilities that boost melee speed.
  • The extra 1 second of combo duration will make your life a bit more comfortable when using any non-Naramon focus tree. It'll be very noticeable during Defense missions, where combo can be lost between waves if you're not careful.

In favour of Orthos Prime:

• OrthosP has nearly double the Status Chance.
    • More procs = more armour-ignoring DPS from Slash.
    • It also means you'll be stacking Viral procs a lot more easily, if that's how you build your melee weapon.
    • If you build for pure Slash, you're much more likely to land at least one Slash proc on each hit (in comparison to GuandaoP). This makes it easier to hit a weak enemy once and then move on while it bleeds out.
  • Faster attack speed is always nice to have, provided that your fingers can keep up with it.
  • OrthosP also has a somewhat easier time building up Condition Overload stacks on each enemy, although this is much less significant if you already have a source of base damage on top of it (e.g. Pressure Point, Arcane Fury, or a gun that peppers enemies with status effects before you hit them with melee).
  • Much higher Slam attack damage than GuandaoP (702 vs 480), for some reason.
  • Somewhat higher Riven disposition at the moment.

As someone who runs Naramon and has no trouble with putting Berserker on OrthosP: I feel that OrthosP is better overall.
Having nearly 2x the Status chance makes a drastic difference, in both the consistency and the overall damage output of the weapon.

base stats an nearly every slot for guan prime is higher... orthos prime i believe only has higher speed and higher status chance

now i found that with slower moving frames the speed difference is more noticeable. luckily guan prime has slightly higher speed than its base counterpart.... but if you main a faster moving frame you won't notice the speed difference enough to care between guan prime and orth prime. mostly an issue with slow frames, luckily with proper optimization of mods on ur frame, rifle etc can boost ur frames speed to make it less noticeable and throwing in a speed mod on guan prime will also help, a good riven with speed on it is also nice if the stats are high enough to offset the abysmal dispo.

before guan prime i mained base guan on all but my slow frames and used orthose for my inaros... now i use guan prime on inaros prime... with higher speed on both and some hybrid mods on other gear the overall higher stats on guan prime make it worth far more than ortho prime.

just an added note... if the dispo gets boosted to equal or higher than orthos prime, guandao prime will win hands down at that point imo.

I think they are about equal, with varying advantages/disadvantages.

Orthos deal about 15% more base damage (damage x atk speed),

Orthos critic chance is 24% vs Gaundo 32%. Critic damage for Orthos is 2.2% vs 2.4% for Guando. This is clearly in favor of Guando. 

Orthos has 36% status chance vs 20% for Gaundo. With weeping wounds this is ~190% vs 108%. Huge edge to Orthos.

Dispo about equal, 0.6 vs 0.5.

In over all damage, on very high HP target, especially of armored, Orthos will beat Gaundo. But this is rarely the case. Gaundo should always be better against corpus and infested, Orthos against Corrupted and Graineer. 

I would put an edge for Gaundo in most situations, especially that status immune is not uncommon. On SP, level 200+ Orthos would possibly be better. But rarely do players sit in a mission for more than 1 hour.

Guando also has growth potential with dispo going up. I doubt it will cross 0.7, but Orthos seems to be locked at 0.6, since DE didn’t increase last round. If you plan to buy a riven for either I would go for Gaundo.

• 1 month later...
On 2020-11-02 at 12:38 AM, taiiat said:

Orthos has higher Attack Speed, Guandao has higher Damage/Crits. and strangely a longer Hit Counter.

unless you have a major hardon for Attack Speed (which caps out at like 3.5 or 4x, somewhere around there), Guandao is just better.

no, the Status Chance on Orthos isn't relevant. good Status and super high Status is effectively the same thing on a Melee Weapon.

Good status and really high status are massively different from each other. More slash procs means higher scaling 

1 hour ago, (PSN)I-_-IM3M3F1ND3R said:

Good status and really high status are massively different from each other. More slash procs means higher scaling 

if you have to wait for just stacks of Slash Status to Kill things, your Weapon has already exceeded what it's capable of performing at. you need to increase your Damage Output at that point.

the higher Damage/Crits will be more than competitive against the higher Status. both will already apply numerous DoT's in the first few hits, but Guandaos' DoT's will be stronger.
Orthos being able to potentially apply twice as many DoT's in the same time frame, but Guandao dealing significantly more Damage and DoT Damage in trade.

i'll certainly take more of the Stats which have limits and are effective on 100% of Enemies, than ones which do not have limits and some Enemies are resistant or immune to.
the only case where Orthos may have a worthwhile advantage, would be if one was relying on Corrosive Status to Kill things. but what is this, 2014? who wastes their time with that thesedays.

Archived