DirectX 12 Beta Support: Is Now Live!

11/25/2020 Update

Beta support of DirectX 12 is now live on PC!

We appreciate your patience as we continued to work on this beta support! Please see the OP on how to participate in the DirectX 12 Beta and how to report any issues you come across.

============================================

Tenno,

We are pleased to bring you beta support of DirectX 12 this week! This beta arrives alongside The Great Ensmallening: Part 2 build.

What to Expect:

The DirectX 12 driver should look graphically alike to the standard DirectX 11 driver, but the new driver exposes several optimizations we can use in the future. Even though Warframe’s DirectX 12 support is still in beta, you should notice slightly faster rendering on most graphics cards and faster rendering on multi-core systems!

Please keep in mind that several optimizations are still in the works. For example, the new driver does not yet support the shader cache that’s automatic in DirectX 11 drivers. This difference means that as you play, the DirectX 12 driver must convert shaders from a generic format to versions optimized for your specific model of graphics card. Depending on your system, this process could appear as micro-stutters the first time a shader is needed. Other games work around this process by forcing massive shader compiles in their launchers. We hope to avoid that as we work on a different solution.

We also hope to hammer out some bugs during our initial beta test of the DirectX 12 driver. To that end, we’re keenly interested in having crashes reported if they only occur in the new driver. If you can reproduce a crash consistently in the DirectX12 driver but can’t reproduce the same crash in DirectX 11, please report the WAR-# in this thread. Learn more about reporting crashes here.

Note: Some third-party overlays may be incompatible with DirectX 12. If you experience crashes or other problems, please check whether there’s anything interfering that you can turn off.

We’re also interested in knowing what looks different with DirectX 12 enabled. Differences likely signal a bug, so if you find one, please send F6 screenshots to Support. Learn more about capturing screenshots here.

How to Participate:

Simply enable DX12 in your launcher settings!

PV-48BbKG1eFpl2FBZw6_yEiR5FV5l5BJp48BCqy

Xbox One players can look forward to DirectX 12 support once we shore up the PC beta version!

P.S. Remember, DirectX 10 support is ending soon! More details here:

Edited by [DE]Megan
DX 12 Beta Support now live!
  • Like 36

Wouldn't Vulkan make more sense as Warframe is a multiplatform game? Vulkan could help performance on all platforms, not just Microsoft's Xbox and Windows.

Edit: I believe Vulkan has ARM drivers and support, so it could help not only the PC version immensely, but also the Switch, which arguably needs it the most of all platforms ^^

Edited by Arsonistic
  • Like 22
3 minutes ago, Arsonistic said:

Wouldn't Vulkan make more sense as Warframe is a multiplatform game? Vulkan would help performance on all platforms, not just Microsoft's Xbox and Windows.

That's really only for making linux easier, and clearly they don't care xD

I don't see why DX12 would be a problem on PS4/5 and switch, but vulkan is likely a bigger learning curve for development so they went with what they knew, DX.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, HunterDigi said:

I don't see why DX12 would be a problem on PS4/5 and switch, but vulkan is likely a bigger learning curve for development so they went with what they knew, DX.

Pretty sure PS4/5 and Switch cannot support DX12, because it's a closed standard owned by Microsoft..

Edit: Googled around a bit and apparently PS5 might get DX12 (edit2: sketchy source, no likely Playstation support at all), but PS4 and Switch aren't getting it.

Since ARM is actively supporting Vulkan, it would likely have a much higher chance of benefiting the Switch (which runs an ARM chip).

Edited by Arsonistic
  • Like 5
vor einer Stunde schrieb HunterDigi:

Vulkan if optimized runs better then DX12 for me its 80 vs 150fps depening on the case

• Like 6
vor 5 Minuten schrieb Arsonistic:

Pretty sure PS4/5 and Switch cannot support DX12, because it's a closed standard owned by Microsoft..

Edit: Googled around a bit and apparently PS5 might get DX12, but PS4 isn't getting it, and it's extremely unlikely Switch will get it.

nope no DX12 for Sony lol 

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Danielw8:

I think vulkan works bad on AMD, specially on cpu 

??? Vulkan is Based on AMD Mantle It runs great on my Vega64 / 3950x System nearly 2x depending on the game vs Dx 12

Edited by Injected_Pie
  • Like 9

Vulcan is better than DX12, not only because of Linux support. But also in the actual low-level power usage, especially the AMD GPU. Since even the old AMD architecture, GCN 2012 HD7970 for example, even there is a fairly good optimization for multithreaded computing
---
Config: Ryzen1600. VEGA56

Edited by Alucardiy
Config: Ryzen1600. VEGA56
  • Like 8

This is good, this means DX12 ultimate will be easier to add in when you get the bandwidth. Ofc as others have mentioned I'd love vulkan (I'm a linux man first), but I fully understand why this is WAY easier to do than move to a totally different API. Really interested to see how this improves things!

This is awesome news!!

3 hours ago, [DE]Helen said:

Please keep in mind that several optimizations are still in the works. For example, the new driver does not yet support the shader cache that’s automatic in DirectX 11 drivers. This difference means that as you play, the DirectX 12 driver must convert shaders from a generic format to versions optimized for your specific model of graphics card. Depending on your system, this process could appear as micro-stutters the first time a shader is needed.

Out of curiosity-- when you say "for your specific model of graphics card", will this be tied to the driver version as well? i.e. For someone who keeps their drivers up to date, will they have to go through each of the shader micro-stutters again each time they update their GPU driver?

I'm only asking because this is the case on the Wii U emulator that I use, and it's a wee bit tedious to go through every time a new driver comes out 😢

3 hours ago, Arsonistic said:

Wouldn't Vulkan make more sense as Warframe is a multiplatform game? Vulkan could help performance on all platforms, not just Microsoft's Xbox and Windows.

Edit: I believe Vulkan has ARM drivers and support, so it could help not only the PC version immensely, but also the Switch, which arguably needs it the most of all platforms ^^

Nobody wants to play warframe at 8K.

• [DE]Megan changed the title to DirectX 12 Beta Support: Is Now Live!