Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

DirectX 12 Beta Support: Is Now Live!

Crashes - a lot of them were midway through a kdrive race. 

WAR-2978830

WAR-2978079

WAR-2975509
WAR-2975494
WAR-2977591
WAR-2977591

--

overall: uses a lot less gpu resources, areas load faster, but highly unstable frame rate.

Edited by Reaper76OTP

Still crashing on DX12 loading into login, anyone have an idea on how to fix?

Fullscreen

RTX2060 super

Ryzen 5 1600

AB350-Gaming 3

24GB of ram, 3 slots used. 2133mhz (underclocked.)

WAR-2975574

Windows 10 Dev Ring 20262.1010

Edited by Magnulast
Forgot to list dev ring

vulkan dont need ARM, there support in the gpu driver, doom 2016, 2020, eternal already using vulkan.
vulkan have some feature dx12 dont have that is dynamic texture resolution. trade in texture quality instead of whole image resolution.
ray tracing also fully available in vulkan now.
if it dx12 ultimate with mesh shader and VRS then it might be good.

mine on amd card no crash or glitch, it work smoothly

Edited by BastyTHz

Didn't tested it very long as I was doing high level missions and needed the stability but overall, though I didn't crash I noted several instances of violent stutters and framerate drops.
I run a GTX 1070 so I wonder where things happened to have the whole thing chug like that.

On 2020-11-28 at 8:29 AM, Jarriaga said:

No crashes, but this is a reproducible problem:

TYPE: In game
DESCRIPTION: VSync "caps" GPU utilization at 55%, severely limiting performance. DX11 uses as much of my 1070 as it can to hit 60FPS, and then triggers dynamic resolution. DX12 doesn't go beyond 55% GPU utilization and locks me down to 30FPS whenever it can't sustain 60FPS. Dynamic resolution doesn't seem to be triggering.  

VISUAL: Format -- GPU / Temp (Celsius)  / Utilization % / Memory usage %

1/3 -- DX11 Vsync ON 3840x2160 (71/98/46)

waDvL5M.jpg

2/3 -- DX12 Vsync ON 3840x2160 (65/51/39)

DlANL2Z.jpg

3/3 -- DX12 Vsync OFF 3840x2160 (70/99/47)

dpaS5hO.jpg

REPRODUCTION: Enable Vsync when DX12 mode is active at 3840x2160 native full screen (Refresh rate 60Hz). Other settings used: Nvidia control panel VSYNC mode: FAST, triple buffering is ON, Enhanced graphics engine is active, dynamic resolution is active (Auto).
EXPECTED RESULT: DX12 VSYNC should not cap GPU utilization.
OBSERVED RESULT: Severe performance degradation due to GPU utilization cap when DX12 Vsync is enabled. 
REPRODUCTION RATE: 100% reproduction rate. Disabling Vsync in DX12 or switching back to DX11 corrects the issue without further changes; turning it back on with DX12 locks me down to 30FPS unless I move my camera to spot where nothing is seen. Issue is seen with Vsync modes "On" and "Auto".

Dynamic resolution can be a bit uncooperative; often we're victim to the GPU timing returned by the driver which is not always accurate. Somewhere way back in a dev workshop post I talked about this if you're curious. You might try switching to using max-framerate instead of auto-vsync.

Anyway some improvements for both Dx11 and Dx12 drivers are coming in the next hotfix but I can't say if it'll fix it for you. I did a lot of stress tests this morning and it works fine for me (on a 2080 though).

• Like 2
5 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Dynamic resolution can be a bit uncooperative; often we're victim to the GPU timing returned by the driver which is not always accurate. Somewhere way back in a dev workshop post I talked about this if you're curious. You might try switching to using max-framerate instead of auto-vsync.

Anyway some improvements for both Dx11 and Dx12 drivers are coming in the next hotfix but I can't say if it'll fix it for you. I did a lot of stress tests this morning and it works fine for me (on a 2080 though).

Thanks Glen.

Switching to max framerate does solve the DX12 GPU utilization issue, but it introduces screen tearing for me in my TV at 59.94 Hz, 60, and 75. 

So I went back to Vsync. I have also now tested if the issue is corrected when switching from 60 to 59.94 with Vsync on and by disabling dynamic resolution, and the behavior does not change. I then discovered that switching back to the classic engine does allow for DX12 Vsync to function properly.

This means that DX12 + Enhanced engined + Vsync = 30 if it can't handle 60 at that scene; 31-58 don't exist.

Thus, my options are:

- DX11 Enhanced Engine Vsync

- DX12 classic engine Vsync

I will be switching back to DX11 for the time being, as no screen tearing is a non-negotiable must for me (Hence the reason why I use Vsync) and the enhanced engine is too good to go back. If there's anything I can do or search or test to get you more info please let me know.

Edited by Jarriaga
  • Like 2

Motion blur seems to be broken with DX12. There's nothing blurry about it, it just causes a violent vertical flicker/distortion effect whenever I, for example, bullet jump.

I realize most people hate motion blur anyways and it's not like I particularly miss it now that I turned it off. But I've always had it enabled and this was the very first thing I noticed when switching over to DX12 (or maybe the second, after the not-so-micro stuttering).

DX11 vs DX12 in a video on Mot node in my fauborite grinding room, the first 5 minutes are in DX11 mode and the last 5 Minutes are in DX12 mode.
Sorry for the video quality, I´m using in OBS my twitch configuration and youtube has destroyed my video. 

Now the video and the conclusions:

Conclusions:
-For some reason the first time I have played with DX12(test server) I have a loot more performance, rarely the GPU has down of 99% of usage
-DX11 has ben improved a loot
-DX12 has the best minimum FPS and DX11 has the best medium FPS (measured with MSIAB)
-After test again DX11, I see a less IQ than DX12, its dificult or maybe imposible see in the video but is a fact

PC Specs:
Ryzen 3950 OC 4.3
G.Skill dual ranked 2x16 3733Mhz CL14
Radeon 5700X

On 2020-11-27 at 6:19 PM, Myscho said:

Your graphic cards support DX 12, but look like only some basic features, which can cause problems 

Sorry but this answer is just a useless pretentious BS.

DX12 is either supported or it's not. Every other game with DX12 launches and works fine (taking into account cards age and performance).
We are reporting the issue that DX12 cannot be launched with cards that support it, so please don't try to derail discussion and brush off the issue as our fault.
Also if you look at this thread reports, everyone have problems, regardless of card or DX12 revision support. And last time I've checked, forum announcement never mentioned anything related to DX12 revision support or specific card limitations.

Edited by Javrendei

I have gotten some crashes while in Dojo in DX12 mode, borderless mode, for simply staying in Dojo for 20 minutes. It freezes for about 20 seconds, the whole game fade to white with a small spinning blue circle of mouse pointer, then Warframe just disappear with no crash report option. DX11 works fine with no crash.

AMD RX 5500XT, Ryzen 2400g Vega 11, 32 GB RAM.

On 2020-12-03 at 9:53 PM, Jarriaga said:

This means that DX12 + Enhanced engined + Vsync = 30 if it can't handle 60 at that scene; 31-58 don't exist

There are 4 options:

1. Adaptive Sync monitor like FreeSync for AMD or G-Sync for NVidia, and is enabled in AMD/NVidia settings. Costs money to get a new monitor.

2. Wait for this game to have triple buffer V-sync in-game options to turn on, like some other games have. For other games, Triple buffering V-Sync avoids the FPS cut in half problem. The NVidia / AMD "Triple buffer" setting is for OpenGL, not DirectX. Still waiting for triple buffer option for Warframe.

3. Switchable graphics with V-Sync avoids FPS cut in half problem. See https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1159245-vsync-smooth-afr-glitch/

4. Turn off V-sync, and get screen tearing or stuttering everywhere.

I prefer option 2 or 3 better then 4 on 120 Hz refresh rate monitor, currently using option 3 with switchable graphics. I would like to use option 1 but fails when I am using a HDMI capture device that black screen on FreeSync signal.

49 minutes ago, sam686 said:

There are 4 options:

1. Adaptive Sync monitor like FreeSync for AMD or G-Sync for NVidia, and is enabled in AMD/NVidia settings. Costs money to get a new monitor.

2. Wait for this game to have triple buffer V-sync in-game options to turn on, like some other games have. For other games, Triple buffering V-Sync avoids the FPS cut in half problem. The NVidia / AMD "Triple buffer" setting is for OpenGL, not DirectX. Still waiting for triple buffer option for Warframe.

3. Switchable graphics with V-Sync avoids FPS cut in half problem. See https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1159245-vsync-smooth-afr-glitch/

4. Turn off V-sync, and get screen tearing or stuttering everywhere.

I prefer option 2 or 3 better then 4 on 120 Hz refresh rate monitor, currently using option 3 with switchable graphics. I would like to use option 1 but fails when I am using a HDMI capture device that black screen on FreeSync signal.

Hi there. Thanks for the help.

1) I'm actually a comfy-couch gamer and even though I'm on PC, I play on a big TV with a controller. A monitor is not an option, and HDMI 2.1 TV's are very expensive right now.

2) I was not aware TB required OpenGL. I thought the GPU was handling it at a driver or hardware level when enabled.

3) This may be an important hint. Based on the thread, the option that caused the problem is called Optimized Flip Model. That options is grayed out set to "ON" when DX12 is active. May be the culprit unless it's grayed out because it's fully disabled rather than forced on.

As for switchable graphics separating rendering from the output, this is sadly not an option due to HDR handshake requirements with the AVR receiver my PC connected to. The HDMI port in my motherboard HDMI 1.4b while the receiver requires 2.0b to pass HDR to the TV (The TV also needs 2.0b). My 1070 is 2.0b.

Edited by Jarriaga

I have been playing for 3 days 8 hours each, on Directx 12 and Enhanced (Beta), the graphics settings are all to the maximum, with V-SYNC turned on, very stable 60 fps and never crashed. Sorry for my english.

I hope after Directx 12 you have plans to add the Vulkan API in a future update.

My PC; i7 3770k, 12gb ram, GTX 1060 6gb, Windows 10x64 20H2, Nvidia driver 460.97.

Edited by KIBERMAX
On 2020-11-02 at 5:44 PM, [DE]Helen said:

11/25/2020 Update

Beta support of DirectX 12 is now live on PC!

We appreciate your patience as we continued to work on this beta support! Please see the OP on how to participate in the DirectX 12 Beta and how to report any issues you come across.

============================================

Tenno,

We are pleased to bring you beta support of DirectX 12 this week! This beta arrives alongside The Great Ensmallening: Part 2 build.

What to Expect:

The DirectX 12 driver should look graphically alike to the standard DirectX 11 driver, but the new driver exposes several optimizations we can use in the future. Even though Warframe’s DirectX 12 support is still in beta, you should notice slightly faster rendering on most graphics cards and faster rendering on multi-core systems!

Please keep in mind that several optimizations are still in the works. For example, the new driver does not yet support the shader cache that’s automatic in DirectX 11 drivers. This difference means that as you play, the DirectX 12 driver must convert shaders from a generic format to versions optimized for your specific model of graphics card. Depending on your system, this process could appear as micro-stutters the first time a shader is needed. Other games work around this process by forcing massive shader compiles in their launchers. We hope to avoid that as we work on a different solution.

We also hope to hammer out some bugs during our initial beta test of the DirectX 12 driver. To that end, we’re keenly interested in having crashes reported if they only occur in the new driver. If you can reproduce a crash consistently in the DirectX12 driver but can’t reproduce the same crash in DirectX 11, please report the WAR-# in this thread. Learn more about reporting crashes here.

Note: Some third-party overlays may be incompatible with DirectX 12. If you experience crashes or other problems, please check whether there’s anything interfering that you can turn off.

We’re also interested in knowing what looks different with DirectX 12 enabled. Differences likely signal a bug, so if you find one, please send F6 screenshots to Support. Learn more about capturing screenshots here.

How to Participate:

Simply enable DX12 in your launcher settings!

PV-48BbKG1eFpl2FBZw6_yEiR5FV5l5BJp48BCqy

Xbox One players can look forward to DirectX 12 support once we shore up the PC beta version!

P.S. Remember, DirectX 10 support is ending soon! More details here:

After using it for one day i had 20% more depression that before. The bugs and the stupid crash are everywhere. From 1% gpu use to 100% cpu and others like black screen while on the game ( the game still running i can hear the gunshots, just the visual is black). Some of them are problems of the drivers and they fix them with each update but other are from the game and i feel sick to play Warframe on DirectX 12. Back to 11 then and cy in couple of years

On 2020-12-23 at 7:08 PM, KIBERMAX said:

I have been playing for 3 days 8 hours each, on Directx 12 and Enhanced (Beta), the graphics settings are all to the maximum, with V-SYNC turned on, very stable 60 fps and never crashed. Sorry for my english.

I hope after Directx 12 you have plans to add the Vulkan API in a future update.

My PC; i7 3770k, 12gb ram, GTX 1060 6gb, Windows 10x64 20H2, Nvidia driver 460.97.

OK, I'm on a 4790K, with 16GB and a 1070. This indicates that whatever is wrong is on my system's end. What are your Nvidia control panel settings? Do you use MSI afterburner for frame-pacing correction? 

Round 2!!!

Conclusions:
-Better multithread in this DX12 version, DX11 has no changes
-DX11 get worse performance than previus versions
-DX12 has the best FPS in all escenarios in mi PC
PC Specs:
Ryzen 3950 OC 4.3
Radeon 5700

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2020-12-27 at 7:07 AM, LordOfWar666 said:

Round 2!!!

Conclusions:
-Better multithread in this DX12 version, DX11 has no changes
-DX11 get worse performance than previus versions
-DX12 has the best FPS in all escenarios in mi PC
PC Specs:
Ryzen 3950 OC 4.3
Radeon 5700

How is the stutter in Dx12 ? Does it feel as fluid as dx11 ?