Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack is actually fun to play

I must say that i still enjoy railjack a lot, i really like that slow-arse gameplay when you fly around moaning down fighters and fighting crewships, it is very relaxing for some reason, but sometimes also tense. I like it.

But i've read a lot of people calling it dead content and i must admit, it is pretty dead. Some people are joining only on weekends at prime time, perhaps because there is a nightwave challenge for railjack, they highjack crewship to complete the challenge and then just leave without even killing ship's reactor, so i have to leave pilot chair, sit into forward artillery and make a shot to kill that ship.

If i play at night, i pretty much have to play solo, but as an exception sometimes some pretty cool folks are joining in and it's always a pleasure to play with them.

But yeah, it feels pretty dead. So i'd like to summarize what in my opinion put railjack into this sorry state and it would be great to know other opinions too.

1. Bugs: when it was released it was literally unplayable, you couldn't play a mission without bugging out, you wanted to, but bugs won't let you. And it is still bugged, i was playing it on weekend and squad of 4 people got bugged and apparently lost their loot. I just selected to return to dock on star map, boom, game softlocked, nothing works except chat. Mkay, after discussing this, i forced host migration (hope you guys are doing OK).

I think it did left very bad first impression for an awful lot of people. And, if i remember correctly, DE went on vacation right after releasing railjack. Umm.. Yeah...

2. There are no mods for your railjack. There was abundance of sh-tty mods no one really needed, but really good mods weren't really dropping. They are doing something similar with nechamechs now, there are technically rare mods, but normal persons simply can not get them. Similarly you couldn't get Void Hole for your railjack before. Trust me, i farmed that mod a lot (like really a lot, A LOT, THE LOT), it didn't drop. I don't quite remember why, maybe mob that was dropping it was too rare or something else, idk.

Now mods drop rates are fixed, i can get two or three frikking Void Holes in one mission, that's good, i guess.

3. There is only one mission. Surprisingly, this mission is still mostly enjoyable. Yeah, i can't play same mission for long, and radiators BS is very annoying when you play solo, and even when you don't play solo, it's still very annoying. This mechanic is so fake and forced, i just can't help myself to tolerate it. But where is boss fight, if only we could select a level of this boss and make it harder, like you know, like what was asked for hard mode, but never implemented. But okay, it's some variety from just killing fighters and crewships. Orokin derelicts are also pretty cool, but mostly pointless.

Actually it's very disappointing to see how railjack was downgraded compared to demo from TennoCon. In demo they went to derelict and got a mod for railjack, oh wow, if only we could do this in actual game. Probably doesn't make any sense anymore because game is just sprinkles mods ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yeah, whatever.

4. Forced co-op. I hate it. They said on TennoCon that railjack has FTL vibes, but FTL is a game about managing ship, not a game about running around with fire extinguisher. Yeah, i have remote repair skill unlocked, yet i still often see someone running to fire to extinguish it. Those horrible radiators too, where i need to run 5 miles uphill to hack console, then run back 5 miles, also uphill, to point and click radiator, then run 5 miles back, uphill again, then repeat. Then you need to run 15 miles to the boss.

I probably understand that you need to run 15 miles to regular boss to give randoms a chance to join your game when you're in PUG, but why this is a thing in railjack? It won't let people join if any objective is completed anyway. Where are mah barricades and firing nests in galleon? Why space greneer are just standing there and waving their hand when i'm running by? Why? Just why? WTF is this?

5. Railjack (is?) was gimmicked. They probably wanted to make game harder and the only way they could think of was probably piling modifiers to mobs, so they have unnatural health, armor and damage. If you're looking at level 30 mob, it will probably one shot you. Why? Dunno. Because f you, that's why. Now i think i saw more realistic numbers, like level ~90 mobs inside crewships, perhaps? This makes a lot more sense and much more fair, however my Chroma with umbra mods and adaptation still sometimes just dies. IDK, it just dies. I am probably missing something very important alas i'm too lazy to read complete WF wiki to figure out what is it. Yeah, whatever x2.

It's actually really nice to see railjack improving over time, so now peeps can get their mods to play the game at least. Some game breaking bugs were fixed, but not all of them. Otherwise i would like to remind everyone that we're approaching a year since railjack was released, and about a year ago some stuff was also planned:

1. More than one railjack mission type perhaps?

2. Command skill?

3. Squadlink?

4. Anyone heard about New War that supposedly started in 2019? No? Just me?

5. Random events like in demo on TennoCon?

6. Lich potentially integrated into railjack like in demo on TennoCon?

IMO it would be really great to see railjack updated, Scarlet Spear return would be nice too, just something to do besides that one railjack mission. It would be great to also address bugs and issues in SS too, like people who play together through entire raid shouldn't get different score, you know, and scoring itself is probably less than ideal and anti-coop if people have to compete with each other for the place on the scoreboard. To be honest, i never quite grasped how that works, whatever (x3), i'm a simple man, i shoot stuff and grab loot.

Regardless, it would be great to have something else involving railjack in the game. It would be great if this can be somehow combined, like more variety in railjack missions and same missions reused in Scarlet Spear. Instead of having just one mission for railjack and just one mission for Scarlet Spear. Just saying.

Oh boy, what a wall of text. But thanks for reading anyways. It would be really interesting to hear if you think that railjack is dead for good and it's going to be abandoned like archwing, or is there a chance that space ninjas could fly space ships in mothertrucking space?

As a starting point to making RJ playable in random squads

- Permission system for every area of RJ.  #1 Thing preventing me from playing RJ at all,  and or specifically having an open squad.   

- Make Fighters IGNORE people in archwings,  Fighters should only ever be trying to kill RJ.

- Fix the Tactical Menu UI placement.  The map of the ship should pop up in the center of the screen and not be cut off at the top or bottom.  You should see all warp spots.   Theres a bug that still exists that often times when you open tactical menu the warp spots are all bunched up.   Those two bugs need fixed because warping is used ALOT.  

- POI need redone so they can be solo'ed.   How much freaking sense does it make to send archwings to a missile defense battery only to require a ship on the outside to blow up radiators???  Park my ship next to missile battery oh brilliant.......     But seriously not being able to solo POI's very easily is the #2 thing that keeps me from playing RJ most of the time.  I am limited to a few nodes that dont have POI's.  I would like to do the hard nodes but its a $%^$%&ing waste of time.   I takes me 5mins to take out fighters and crewships....  55 minutes to clear the stupid POI's.

-Fix Tether so its invulnerable for a second or to so it can atleast be deployed with people are using your turrets constantly shooting.   

-OMG fix boost/drift effeciency.  They absolutely ruined drifting in last update to RJ.   Make boost auto-shut off when it runs out,  thats such common freaking sense how has it never been fixed??  

AKA the reason I dont enjoy Railjack:

-Randoms wasting my resources/ammo

-Randoms dragging fighters away from my RJ forcing me to follow them to POI's where I get shot to hell.

-Randoms rushing POI's and then expecting you to help do the stuff outside even though your STILL busy fighting fighters and crewships AND dodging POI weapons.   

-Randoms never looting when they are on ship or POI's.  

-Randoms taking control of parts of your ship/game.  Pilot/navigation

------------------------

They gave RJ missions a fat credit increase but the credit amounts are not listed ANYWHERE.  Not on the nodes,  not on the End of Mission screens..   It just magically gets added to your credit total with you never know how much.   

=================

I believe they have said after Deimos Arcana they are going to be doing all things corpus....  corpus RJ,  corpus liches,  probably not all at once but....  I expect corpus lich to bring lichs to RJ. ( Including grineer??) 

41 minutes ago, FaTaLxToast said:

Railjack is fun until you realise that only the pilot of the ship are the one who really has to do stuff, for the rest of the squad it's basically a afk simulator.

That's a legitimate concern too. I never force people to do specific job in my railjack, so they can do whatever they want, but when i was sitting in gunner's seat i did notice that aiming is still clunky and that's probably even worse if you're not a host. I do really hate this forced co-op when someone has to actually play primitive minigames to put out fires or fix breaches.

IMO it would be much better if breaches would actually suffocate players in that section of the ship (like in FTL) so people have to fix breaches to save themselves and not because script triggers a fire when boarding crew is landing. But even with that, it is perhaps indeed afk simulator most of the time. If only a railjack could join another railjack into a fleet... But that's probably too much to ask.

I like rj but still get frustrated at the bugs.

The most annoying of which is when you select to return to dry dock and the game just freezes.  Literally can't do anything except quit the game and re start.

And as I don't trust rj to be stable enough to run more than a cple of missions without randomly crashing and losing all my loot, I feel I have to go back to dry dock regularly.   Which just makes the whole experience bloody annoying. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)AbBaNdOn_ said:

- POI need redone so they can be solo'ed.

By the way, when i think about it, it probably would make some sense to move POIs from space to planet surface and connect them with Squadlink, so somebody else can kill it (or not) for a share of railjack loot. It's not like i'm against sharing loot, i don't care, and it's shared anyway.

4 hours ago, chaotea said:

Raljack was fun, then i found any loadout that isnt using teather builds are pointless, and teather builds make having more that 1 ally pointless.

There's other fun options besides Tether...my issue is that they all tend to belong to the same loadout sections.

That said, there is no more effective option than Tether.

6 hours ago, 32768 said:

. More than one railjack mission type perhaps?

2. Command skill?

3. Squadlink?

4. Anyone heard about New War that supposedly started in 2019? No? Just me?

5. Random events like in demo on TennoCon?

6. Lich potentially integrated into railjack like in demo on TennoCon?

all of this and more will likely happen eventually, it's just DE has focused on other things. once Deimos Arcana is out of the way, they will be turning their gaze elsewhere: they already confirmed Corpus Liches are in the works, and I reckon that since Grineer Liches came just before Railjack did, once Corpus Liches are out they will start looking at Railjack again. it's just an issue of time, but maybe we'll know more come the next devstream.

I loved railjack and I really want a reason to play it again, especially if we get Corpus missions with new objectives and big-a$$ laser battles in space!

Railjack had always been fun despite the buggy release (Been playing since its launch).

Railjack felt like a proper while buggy remake of Star Wars tie fighter game.

Now that its been polished, there still a few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking, its pretty good.

What would make it better is if I could use my thrustmaster controller or flight simulator rig controls to pilot my ship that would be perfection.

If you can't afford or run Starwars squadron, railjack is an okay simulator for it. If you played the old 1984 or was 1994 tie fighters game, its basically it with updated graphics and extra side missions

for starters, i love games like ace combat and countless star wars titles that have flying in em. in a matter of act, one of the first game i own for pc is a game called freelancers. so naturally, the idea of having rj inside warframe really excites me.

i can type wall of texts about how awful random noobs in rj are, which bad design decisions caused this, etc.

but in the end, i think what i and some (i hope plenty) other people want is just a good spaceship shooting game.
some solo-centric modes where we can have the option to just sit tight, relax, and fly a dam spaceship that we all have worked so hard to make.
no need to rely on random noobs, no need to park your ship and go back and forth to finish the mission, not even going to the forge and resupply. just flying, and shooting.
modes that actually make use the strength, speed, or abilities of your ship, not just as an awful excuse to go back to your warframe again.

how about a racing mode, where you go from A to B while shooting stuff? they can evens still force us to use forge in pitstops to refill energy.
how a bout a chase/dogfight mode against a really agile & beefy crewship? just good ol' plain dogfight.
or just steal from star wars book and do the thermal exhaust port destruction on death star. piloting through space corridors to reach enemy ship's main reactor may finally require some piloting skills.
bombing runs, disrupting convoys, shaking off chasers, there are plenty of interesting modes for people who just want to fly.

7 hours ago, MadMattPrime said:

If you can't afford or run Starwars squadron, railjack is an okay simulator for it. If you played the old 1984 or was 1994 tie fighters game, its basically it with updated graphics and extra side missions

That would be Freespace 2, which as far as I'm concerned is the absolute pinnacle of space fighter combat games. It's fairly cheap (https://www.gog.com/game/freespace_2) and quite often goes on sale there. Since the code was released into the public domain, it's still being updated even today (https://www.hard-light.net/).

9 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I've always said Railjack is either a fun demo or a terrible game. It all depends whether or not DE can actually finish it

All signs point to "no" there. DE do not have a history of finishing anything in this game.

11 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

There's other fun options besides Tether...my issue is that they all tend to belong to the same loadout sections.

That said, there is no more effective option than Tether.

What we need is more loadout slots for railjack. I'd be interested in trying one based around ordinance for example.

I gave up on Railjack because it's still a buggy mess, hell, I haven't even bothered to finish Veil Proxima.

I'm waiting for the fixes that we were promised, but, I'm discovering that DE's promises are like firecrackers. flashy, noisy, gone.

3 hours ago, chaotea said:

What we need is more loadout slots for railjack. I'd be interested in trying one based around ordinance for example.

They need to re-balance where stuff falls in the loadouts too imo. I'd love to have Tether as my ultimate and Ram tuned for regular use in the first slot.

At this point, I am scratching that space sim itch with SC now as I got tired of waiting for RJ updates... I do  feel that RJ could be DE's "next big thing" if they build it up right and make it matter without making it needlessly repetitive by making it varied.

Everything shouldn't have to be combat oriented...

Dogfights are fun and all but there's no squeeze like trying to survive pirates (player or NPC) long enough to deliver a full load of expensive ore/cargo to the station.

RJ has the ability to offer that too... It's just a matter of stringing their current assets in the proper order.

Archived