Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Learned today that I am covid positive.

LascarCapable

First of all I am fine and confined at home. Don't worry too much about me.

I'm not making this post to get pity points. In fact, I'm making this post to encourage you all to not screw around. I'm sick as hell, it's not fun, and I can definitely understand how it can be dangerous to some people. Wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distances, and consider still doing it at home. I lowered my guard at home and as a result I got my covid from my dad. 

My dad is okay but is definitely doing worse than I do.

Protect yourself. Stay safe. If it happened to me, it can happen to any of us.

3 minutes ago, LascarCapable said:

keep your distances

As a retail worker, it's this one that seems to go out the window half the time, wearing a mask is easy, washing hands can become routine, but remembering distancing is clearly a challenge. The number of times that I've asked people to take a step back because they come right up to me is ridiculous, whether it's to ask me a question or to try and reach a product that's behind me.

It's no wonder we're back in a lockdown here. For anyone who will continue to go to the shops in person, please try and remember distancing. If you need an item and there's someone in the way, you can always ask them to pass it to you. If someone is in the way, ask them to move rather than forcing your way past.

To anyone still skeptical of it, I'd like to explain the difference between carrying the virus, and having the disease. I apologise to anybody who learned this in secondary school... or even primary. But enough people still try to claim otherwise that I feel this necessary to say it somewhere.

Have you ever caught a cold despite not meeting anyone who had one? Or vice versa, been the only member of your family to not catch a cold, or have it pass over you in the regular school waves that happen every year without fail?

Well, here's a secret - you carried that cold virus either way. But, because cold viruses are typically mild, in the second scenario your body was able to fight it off without any symptoms. The symptoms being the disease, 'the common cold'. Of course, you were still infectious, and if you were a victim of the first scenario, then that's why. In short, to be infectious, you need to carry the virus, but you don't need to have the disease.  As Google defines, a disease is "any harmful deviation from the general structural or functional state of an organism". And, even with a cold, there are still some people who get hit really hard.

There's a 15% chance that cold you had was caused by a Coronavirus. Not THE Coronavirus, but A Coronavirus

Of course, that strain was most likely a harmless one, almost all of them are to the vast majority of people. It's actually beneficial to most microbes, even pathogens (aka disease-causing microbes) to not kill their hosts, which is why almost every big disease in history has come from a different animal or been carried by animals, or spread by faulty cleaning systems (or just flat been non-microbial). This is because of natural selection - the more hosts a virus infects, the better it breeds. And dead hosts don't spread sickness by and large, and neither do ones that are badly, visibly ill. This is also why you currently live with so many bacteria on your skin or in your gut, and even why they're helpful. For a microbe, it is beneficial to be parasitic but harmless, or even outright symbiotic, because it's much easier to spread (the latter is outright encouraged to). Viruses are always at least the former, due to how they reproduce - at least to whatever species they reproduce in. As such, for them it's a matter of staying safe enough so that whatever it infects doesn't die (or be so noticeably bad that other creatures start avoiding the infected creature), but just bad enough to have lots of coughs and a high load in the lungs to spread with coughs and sneezes. There are exceptions of course, but the rule still holds. There's actually been some thought about breeding Viruses that infect Bacteria, and using them to treat certain bacterial infections that are gaining resistances to antibiotics, and it'd be pretty safe since genetically, we're about as far from bacteria as it's possible to be (making a species-jump hard). Anyway, bringing it back on topic.

Covid, like that cold, is actually probably going to be harmless to most individuals that carry the virus. However, as you may have heard, it was most likely carried from another animal, which means that unlike those colds it's got the potential to cause a great deal of harm, because it jumped to humans at random. It evolved to spread in whatever creature it came from, but our immune systems aren't adapted to it. We haven't evolved alongside each other. So, instead of being able to maintain that careful balance... it fails miserably, grows too fast and explodes the cells of lungs like microscopic xenomorphs. However, our immune systems are pretty strong.

So, like with the majority of its Coronavirus cousins, Covid keeps on going. It passes most unharmed. These people pass it on to others, who individaully, are also probably unharmed. But then there's those it doesn't. Then there's those who it does badly affect - those who get the disease. Whether because they're old, or they're immunocompromised, or their bodies are already damaged by a different disease or condition, or they're just plain unlucky. But they aren't the only ones carrying the virus. Millions more are. Millions of healthy people, unaware of what's in their system.

And now lets bring this aalll the way back. Just as you caught a regular cold from a healthy person, the same is true of Covid. Right now, the world is one big school going through flu season, only this time? The worst isn't having to stay home.

Stay safe. Do what you can to slow the spread of the virus, because we don't know when we're going to be the healthy person who gives someone the disease that kills them. And if you're safe at home? Everyone else is that little bit safer too.

@LascarCapable I hope you get well. I've not had it, or known anyone who has, so I don't know what it's like, but I dearly hope you're alright.

I am fortunate that I live in country that seem to have this well under control. No local transmission in probably a month. I still wear a mask when I go outside, and most people here seem to follow suit. Things can deteriorate quickly at any time, so it's important to stay vigilant.

Take care of yourself and get well soon.

23 hours ago, Hierarch777 said:

I may have a strong immune system, but you're right.

Just feel like something should be clarified about the above statement, as if its taken the wrong way, could cause more harm than good.

Having a "Strong Immune System" means absolutely nothing with regards to Sars-Cov-2. A Strong Immune System basically just means that you have either less likely a chance to contract common viruses like Colds or Flu's, or it has other benefits such as faster recovery rate from aforementioned viruses or physical injuries. It can also mean you fight Fatigue better or gain more energy than most. With that said, when it comes to Sars-Cov-2 VS Strong Immune Systems, the following statement is something that is very, VERY important to keep in mind:

Your body has NEVER come into contact with anything close to Sars-Cov-2, so both a Strong or Weak Immune System mean absolutely nothing with regards to contracting it. You cannot be 10% / 50% /  100% Immune to something your body has never experienced before.

Just to clarify 2 details. Firstly, this isn't meant to scare anyone, but instead educate. I've heard the idea of a Strong Immune System being thrown around too often lately. Its all over the internet too. Its dangerous and a misrepresentation of what and how an Immune System works, and has probably already led to cases and deaths. Get your information about health from your Doctor, not Google. Secondly, i know the person who posted this did not intentionally mean anything by posting the statement above. This isn't a lecture, but instead meant to clarify what the above statement actually means compared to Sars-Cov-2. I, and i'm sure nobody here, don't want anyone to get Sars-Cov-2.

Well we are on the brink of the flu season so it's bound to start happening where we all will be coughing and be bed resting.

I wish you and your family all the best.

Not to worry the recovery rate is over 99% of the billions of cases all over he world.

My entire work company has kept getting it over and over this year and we are all healthy. With a staff of over 4k employees.

We had nation wide testing last weekend with antigen tests, this weekend is second round in most problematic/red regions

Was worried because i travel every day on bit crowded public transport to work where 2 meter distance is impossible, but luckily test was negative, but still thinking about PCR test just to be sure

I wish you a speedy recovery.

On 2020-11-06 at 7:11 PM, Loza03 said:

The symptoms being the disease, 'the common cold'.

To slightly elaborate on the subject: Strictly speaking, the symptoms associated with the common cold are actually directly caused by your immune system, not the virus itself. Fever raises the body temperature beyond what the virus can handle without denaturing, runny nose is because mucus contains a lot of antibodies and pathogen-killing enzymes so your body produces more of it, sore throat comes from viruses often entering the body via the mouth/nose, leading to a high concentration of infected cells in the throat lining that the immune system then kills (which leaves the more sensitive cells under the lining exposed), and so on.

On 2020-11-06 at 1:21 PM, LascarCapable said:

First of all I am fine and confined at home. Don't worry too much about me.

I'm not making this post to get pity points. In fact, I'm making this post to encourage you all to not screw around. I'm sick as hell, it's not fun, and I can definitely understand how it can be dangerous to some people. Wear a mask, wash your hands, keep your distances, and consider still doing it at home. I lowered my guard at home and as a result I got my covid from my dad. 

My dad is okay but is definitely doing worse than I do.

Protect yourself. Stay safe. If it happened to me, it can happen to any of us.

Count the days, and pay close attention from day 5 going forward. Also see if you can use the your phone as an oxymeter. 

Also if your dad hasn't been sick for 1-2 weeks already you probably didn't get it from him. 

Stay strong Tenno, hang in there and get well soon. 

Best of luck.  All things considered the mortality rate is something like 5%  If you don't have major health issues to begin with you'll probably be fine.

Guess de didn't like my other posts (posts deleted or edited). So simply put.  Don't make an ant hill into a mountain.  Most folks will survive just fine.

best wishes Lascar, I hope you and your family recover.

I live in an area where not everybody is doing their part to keep the infection rate down. it annoys me when people don't take this seriously. You can get it, and sure YOU might not get sick if you're young and fit, but you'll still pass on the virus to others who aren't so resilient. people have legit inadvertently killed their grandparents and stuff because they thought they knew better. and only thought about themselves. if you're one of those idiots, or you know someone who is, that goes to illegal raves and ignores every guideline under the sun, then I hope they get the disease. yes, really, I HOPE they do, because for some people only a harsh reality check like this will work. it's a shame that it costs the lives of loved ones for it to click in some people's heads, but there you go.

sure, you can argue that in the grand scheme of things, the world's overall population hasn't gone down too much, but if this pandemic has taught me anything, it's that you have to fight two diseases: the one that kills people, and human stupidity. and unfortunately, there will never be a cure for the latter.

2 hours ago, (PSN)chubbslawson said:

My wife and her elder sister that she cares for got it. Her sister died the 8th day that she had it and I thought that my wife might die too,but she pulled through. She is still suffering from the effects from it. People need to take it more seriously than they do,it’s a killer 

You have my deepest condolences. And you're absolutely right, this is a really serious disease, and it spreads way too easily. Worse, there are multiple strains and getting it once does not guarantee that you can't get it again, everyone should be taking every possible precaution within reason. It's a terrible shame that it's gotten as widespread as it has, despite all of the information we've had. 

I hope your wife makes a full recovery soon. 

18 hours ago, (PSN)guzmantt1977 said:

You have my deepest condolences. And you're absolutely right, this is a really serious disease, and it spreads way too easily. Worse, there are multiple strains and getting it once does not guarantee that you can't get it again, everyone should be taking every possible precaution within reason. It's a terrible shame that it's gotten as widespread as it has, despite all of the information we've had. 

I hope your wife makes a full recovery soon. 

Thanks guz

Archived