Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please, please, please tell me if I've misunderstood the Steel Essence changes in the last Devstream

nadeemh

I think two big reasons for the coming changes are that right now survival along with 1 or 2 of the top killing frames are the only real options for farming essence. Which kinda kills the whole idea of steel path, which was that we would have an incentive to revisit  the star chart. We dont really do that now since we most squat in Ophelia with Khora or Baruuk mostly.

Another possible reason for the change is so that the glasscannon Khora approach wont be so viable, since you wont be able to just hide behind a corner versus Steel Path acolytes, so a risk becomes part of running optimized survival. It all also opens up other endless missions since you no longer rely on eximus/second only for steel essence gain.

I'm sure there are several other reasons aswell.

11 hours ago, (PSN)Yggranya said:

If getting rewards is the only enjoyment you people get from the "challenge" then... Well, actually that sounds like the usual. Carry on with the whining.

Challenge? Steel path isn't challenging to being with, only difficult part with that mode is not falling asleep mid mission from boredom. Heck, I even use it to max newly crafted weapons while I run through the useless nodes solo these days.

I would very much like an actual challenging gamemode for the game, sadly people would complain at anything being difficult and ask for a nerf if their unmodded braton cannot shred through them.

Next, steel path's kuva/min rate is actually higher than kuva requiem survival, and one would be obtaining a fair amount of kuva in a reasonable amount of time. As someone who has been trying to get more data from riven rerolling, having a gamemode that actually allows me to get kuva in a reasonable speed is rather nice.

and enjoyment? Recent update (deimos) was so bad that even camping in a small room in steel path survival is more fun. 

If the gamemodes are not fun and the rewards are not rewarding, why would anyone bother playing it? While the most hardcore riven reroll players would likely just revert back to kuva requiem survival after the steel essence nerf, I would not be surprised if many others gave it a try, realize the rates are significantly worse and then just stop bothering with these farms. As bad as the influences of riven is to the game, its relative high price makes it significant in keeping the flow of platinum in game, which in turn is a driving force for people spending money.

Considering how steel path survival is a fairly large time sink for the game these days, it would obviously have an important role in what DE has been actively trying to do for the past months: Artificially increasing player counts per day (to make it look nicer to investors). Anyone who have glanced over the financial reports would know how badly warframe is doing since the second half of last year, so it isn't hard to understand why they have to do these deliberate and harmful acts.

Hence in overall, both the nerf to steel path opehlia, as well as the likely upcoming nerf to steel essence rates is going to be far more harmful than it is helpful to the game.

Lastly, mindlessly supporting DE's bad decision is a major reason why this game haven't been doing as good as it could have been. By actively neglecting feedback, DE is essentially shooting themselves in the foot. But yes, please continue your mindless supporting of bad changes and calling any feedback as whining, it would absolutely help the game in the future. :) 

PS: it was fairly obvious that my initial reply was pure sarcasm towards the mindset of a part of the player base, the part of the player base who would ask for changes to things that other people enjoy but they dont, the part of the player base who does not think thoroughly what the negative consequences are if their suggestion is implemented. Calling it whining just goes on to show how little you know about the game and the players. Were you hurt because it felt like you were a target audience of the sarcasm? I feel very much sorry for you then.

STEEL PATH ALERTS NEED TO REWARD 5x STEEL ESSENCE

- 3 Syndicate missions are an average of 20K REP, thats 1 Relic Pack every 3 Missions
- If Steel Path alerts drop only 1x Steel Essence that's 15 Steel Path Missions for 1 Relic Pack
- That's Triple the farm for the same thing, and Syndicate missions are lvl 30 on average when Steel Patch is lvl 130!
- 1x Steel Essence per Steel Path Alert is RIDICULOUS, and we need to ask DE to make it 5x right from the get go. 

6 hours ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

For the people that can't do multi-hour missions, If you have 40 minutes to spare you can still get a fair amount of essence.

rFrGZDy.jpeg
p6JCWrs.jpeg

Yes 70 essences with Khora. I wonder how much will I get without her.... maybe less than 30..

Not everyone like to use the same frame over and over again to do that same mission over and over again for hours.

Seriously how people find camping fun? 

1 hour ago, DrivaMain said:

Yes 70 essences with Khora. I wonder how much will I get without her.... maybe less than 30..

Not everyone like to use the same frame over and over again to do that same mission over and over again for hours.

I'm hardly camping. I'm all over the place when I farm. You can not use Khora, but your kill rate may vary if solo. In a squad you could achieve similar results without Khora.

And I doubt you'll get much more with the incoming changes, but no one listened to Cassandra anyway

8 hours ago, Roble_Viejo said:

STEEL PATH ALERTS NEED TO REWARD 5x STEEL ESSENCE

- 3 Syndicate missions are an average of 20K REP, thats 1 Relic Pack every 3 Missions
- If Steel Path alerts drop only 1x Steel Essence that's 15 Steel Path Missions for 1 Relic Pack
- That's Triple the farm for the same thing, and Syndicate missions are lvl 30 on average when Steel Patch is lvl 130!
- 1x Steel Essence per Steel Path Alert is RIDICULOUS, and we need to ask DE to make it 5x right from the get go. 

These are WEEKLY missions btw , just in case you've missed it 🤣

On 2020-11-07 at 5:21 PM, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

For the people that can't do multi-hour missions, If you have 40 minutes to spare you can still get a fair amount of essence.

rFrGZDy.jpeg
p6JCWrs.jpeg

That just looks extremely suspect with those numbers and that time spent. Which based on the type of loot in the list leads me to think you suggest people should exploit Odin on Mercury.

Which just isnt a place or method that should be taken into account when DE decides to balance since it is a massive outlier.

38 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

That just looks extremely suspect with those numbers and that time spent. Which based on the type of loot in the list leads me to think you suggest people should exploit Odin on Mercury.

Which just isnt a place or method that should be taken into account when DE decides to balance since it is a massive outlier.

How is Odin an exploit. 

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

So a non-answer

It is an answer since we arent supposed to spread possible exploits on the forum. And it is a pretty obvious exploit when it yields so much more than anything else in the game and it isnt shared across the specific mission type as a whole. There is a reason why people say Odin and not just Interception.

3 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

It is an answer since we arent supposed to spread possible exploits on the forum. And it is a pretty obvious exploit when it yields so much more than anything else in the game and it isnt shared across the specific mission type as a whole. There is a reason why people say Odin and not just Interception.

They say Odin because it’s easily soloable, and it has the best tile set.

might as well say Hydron or Helene is an exploit since people always run them instead of other defenses.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

They say Odin because it’s easily soloable, and it has the best tile set.

might as well say Hydron or Helene is an exploit since people always run them instead of other defenses.

I dont think you get what exploit means.

Making use of unintended game mechanics, which is very likely the case with Odin. You dont find it odd that 40 minutes of Odin yields 70-80 essence when 40 minutes of survival yields barely a handful? I'm not saying it is a bannable exploit, I'm just saying it is unintended, so ends up as an exploit all the same. Which makes it understandable why DE decides to change how essence is gained because changing interception would have impact on other things in the game aswell and not just essence farming.

Odin/Interception is an outlier, not the norm. Acolytes will very likely clock in evenly with Eximus farming in all other modes, while also making 1-off missions rewarding, which they currently arent at all.

On 2020-11-08 at 12:21 AM, DrivaMain said:

Some do. But you should, by no way, consider that everyone running Survival do camping. I love Survival but I avoid camping as much as possible, I prefer roaming around even though that's not the most optimized way to play, loot-wise. And I'm pretty sure a good chunk of people running Survivals don't do it with a camping strategy.

Some people will always play the most optimized way (as if it was needed...), but in the end, the majority will tend to the most fun way to play the game.

1 minute ago, Chewarette said:

Some do. But you should, by no way, consider that everyone running Survival do camping. I love Survival but I avoid camping as much as possible, I prefer roaming around even though that's not the most optimized way to play, loot-wise. And I'm pretty sure a good chunk of people running Survivals don't do it with a camping strategy.

Some people will always play the most optimized way (as if it was needed...), but in the end, the majority will tend to the most fun way to play the game.

My problem is that it's not the most optimised loot wise but enemy wise.

If I move around too much there's no one to fight. Which is helpful when I'm dashing to get life support, less so when you consider that I'm also going to be devoid of life support for the next 5-10 seconds because everyone's trying to catch up with me. Besides, if there's one thing more boring than sitting around fighting hordes of enemies in an identical fashion, it's not fighting anyone at all, just waiting for people to show up.

4 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

think you get what exploit means.

Making use of unintended game mechanics, which is very likely the case with Odin.

So playing a game mode as expected counts as an exploit now? Eximus spawns rising the more rotations you do is a natural game mechanic. Interception happens to be a game mode where you can do rotations very quickly. But sure, playing interception is an unintended mechanic. 

You'll still get riven slivers, but the issue with the gamemode was obvious.

They made it so you didn't need to spend hours in a mission for it to get interesting. but then applied the drop to eximus and players decided to stay hours in a mission, they achieved nothing.

Personaly i would have prefered if each mission had a specific amount of steel essence and this was decided on a node per node basis.The longer and more difficult the mission is, the more steel essence, you can start at 10 on an earth exterminate and 15 on a pluto exterminate, but this would only work if it was done from the start, with the rewards costs being adjusted aswell.

As it will be, things will be out of balance, i did a run and received 200 steel essence meaning it's the equivalent to 200 daily missions, in fact i'm farming to essentially prevent me from actually needing to do the dailies, i like them as fun missions to do when i have the time, not as "i need to do them because i need x ammount for this reward", newer players have no other option but to do the dailies and if DE messes up the reward costs, it will be an uproar.

Imagine that they make unique arcanes at teshin, at 10 steel essence each and you need 20 to max it out, does 200 dailies sound fun to you assuming you start playing after these changes?

2 hours ago, (XBOX)TheWayOfWisdom said:

So playing a game mode as expected counts as an exploit now? Eximus spawns rising the more rotations you do is a natural game mechanic. Interception happens to be a game mode where you can do rotations very quickly. But sure, playing interception is an unintended mechanic. 

If the content is beyond the point of balance it is an exploit since you make use of something that is broken and unintended. As I said, that doesnt mean it is a bannable offense or a case where the player should be punished for utilizing it.

The balance of steel essence just doesnt center around interception, so the yield from the mode is not what people should expect. If it was a case where it was just slightly more efficient than the other modes it would be a different thing, but currently interception is 10 or more times as efficient as the runner up which is survival. Not only that, but it is also consistant as you've shown, while in survival you might get a handful of essence in the first 45 minutes.

People that use it as some form of norm for essence drops are just fooling themselves when they start stressing about acolytes and no more eximus. There was not a snowballs chance in muspel that interception was going to stay as the very extreme outlier it currently is. There is a massive difference between 5 and 70 essence over the course of 40 minutes.

There is nothing stopping you from still doing the endurance runs you're just not going to be rewarded for it which, really, Warframe has never rewarded that so that's nothing new its just how the game you choose to play has always worked.

I think these changes are happening because steel path is basically very dead atm.  It was popular the first couple weeks then died almost entirely.  For some players that didn't like or weren't able to do the endurance runs the essence drop rate was too low they gave up and didn't bother with it for those that can do the endurance runs they bought everything teshan had within 1 to 3 missions.  So almost everyome, in one way or another, was done with it in 2 or 3 weeks.

These changes are likely  are likely just to make people play it more.   For the people that didn't do endurance runs they will see their rate of getting Essence increased those who did endurance runs to buy everything the first week their Essence rate will go down.   I'm not too concerned I doubt they're going to add very much to teshin so getting enough Essence to buy everything will still likely be very easy... in fact I probably have enough in reserve already to buy everything new.

Archived