Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

balancing primary vs secondary weapons

supernils

Simple logical step without touching holy damage output:

while shooting the Warframe runs slower than not shooting.

Remove this restriction from secondary weapons. Would make sense since they are lighter (and fall in line with heavy weapons)

Or, if you don't want to touch overall balance, slightly increase penalty for primary weapons and slightly decrease it for secondaries.

On 2020-11-14 at 1:18 PM, supernils said:

Simple logical step without touching holy damage output:

while shooting the Warframe runs slower than not shooting.

Remove this restriction from secondary weapons. Would make sense since they are lighter (and fall in line with heavy weapons)

Or, if you don't want to touch overall balance, slightly increase penalty for primary weapons and slightly decrease it for secondaries.

confused will smith GIF

I honestly thought this was gonna go in the opposite direction, bringing to light how Secondaries,
despite having better Mods, are in certain cases nowadays about equal (if not superior) in base DPS to Primaries.

Like, look at Kitguns, and how Primary ones are simply not as good as the Secondary versions,
or how Kuva Nukor is still standing strong while Kuva Bramma got nerf-a-derfed.

But no, this is a call to, instead of fixing imbalances (on either side), universally buff Secondaries, and / or nerf Primaries.

???

I like the flavor of the idea a lot.  But buffing sidearms relative to primaries just doesn't sit right at the moment. 

Could be wrong, but I'd also suspect there's an animation issue.  i.e., there's running and there's the faster sprinting, and these have different animations.  Running is more upright, while sprinting leans the torso forward and starts swinging the shoulders and arms.  (And then there's walking, which mostly happens when we're shooting and aiming.)

What actually happens when we use weapons is sprinting gets turned off while we're shooting/swinging, etc. So maybe shooting and sprinting aren't compatible without more work than we'd think.

Anyway, an exilus mod that addressed this could be cool.  If there is an animation issue, it might just be a simple run/sprint speed bonus, or run speed bonus while shooting.  (Which would be kinda weird, but there's weirder things in the game already.) Or something more involved, like a temporary movespeed buff after killing a target with a weapon. 

This could be a Warframe exilus, or weapon class-specific.  If it's side-arm only, there's your flavor.

On 2020-11-17 at 1:01 AM, NinjaZeku said:

I honestly thought this was gonna go in the opposite direction, bringing to light how Secondaries, despite having better Mods, are in certain cases nowadays about equal (if not superior) in base DPS to Primaries.

This is absolutely not true. Primaries outperform secondaries by a huge margin. There are only a handfull of pistols which can keep up.

5 hours ago, ShortCat said:

This is absolutely not true. Primaries outperform secondaries by a huge margin. There are only a handfull of pistols which can keep up.

Except that the Kuva Nukor is the strongest ranged weapon. And dual pistols are generally stronger than automatic rifles.

On 2020-11-16 at 4:01 PM, NinjaZeku said:

I honestly thought this was gonna go in the opposite direction, bringing to light how Secondaries,
despite having better Mods, are in certain cases nowadays about equal (if not superior) in base DPS to Primaries.

Like, look at Kitguns, and how Primary ones are simply not as good as the Secondary versions,
or how Kuva Nukor is still standing strong while Kuva Bramma got nerf-a-derfed.

But no, this is a call to, instead of fixing imbalances (on either side), universally buff Secondaries, and / or nerf Primaries.

???

I thought the same thing. Strange how the most common ranged weapon in the game is the Kuva Nukor. There are people that will scream that Primaries are stronger than Secondaries.

While I'll admit there are more viable Primaries than Secondaries, the strongest Primaries can't keep up with the strongest Secondaries 

Well at first read sounds possible until you realize what will happen, extermination, capture, possible mobile defense  will be melee and secondary only because if you try to shoot the squads now 3 rooms away and your now holding things up. Primary would only be used in static mission types such as defense or interception survival camping, Where your more stationary to start with.  

Game moves very fluidly anything that limits movement speed is left behind one of the main reasons some players dislike ivara is because she is made to walk while invisible.

4 hours ago, z3us32610 said:

Except that the Kuva Nukor is the strongest ranged weapon. And dual pistols are generally stronger than automatic rifles.

Neither is K.Nuker the strongest "gun" in the game, nor does Nuker represent the whole secondary weapon class, nor does primary weapon class consist only from ARs. Nukor is undeniably top secondary as well as top convenience weapon, however in terms of TTK there are enough primaries with better results. Nukor is also a graet utility weapon, but at this point it loses competitive damage component.

Archived