Small gameplay improvement for throwable mines

Tiltskillet

Castanas, Sancti Castanas, Talons...  I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out, but these are wicked fun🤩

Anyway, multishot has a couple of oddities with them, one of which is that the more multi you have, the more the mines spread out.  Some people say this is a longstanding bug, I don't know.   What I do know is it's good in some situations and bad in others, and it would be nice to be able to have some control over it in the middle of the action

So...how about have Aiming reduce the spread by a lot, like in the range of 65-90%?  I think this works well, as it feels somewhat intuitive and I doubt aiming is used much with Castanas or Talons, especially if you're using multi.    Correct me if I'm wrong!

That's it, one simple adjustment to give even more tactical control over some very tactical weapons.

Completely unrelated bonus video as some compensation for reading a feedback topic regarding a weapon class nobody cares about:

That whole "forced maximum spread" nonsense needs to go, or at least be controllable as you suggested.

It works ~well enough on e.g. Kulstar (you get triangle / square / pentagonal etc shapes for the missile flight formations),
that's an AoE (x2) weapon, you don't need pin-point accuracy there so w/e I guess,  but it seriously hurts a bunch of weapons.

Like, besides Castanas & co, there's e.g. Panthera Prime, where the forced spread (with Split Chamber)
makes it so that aiming perfectly at a distant enough enemy, you are guaranteed to miss them ... wat.

[BTW, while we're at it, make Ogris not unusably innacurate with Heavy Caliber, please and thank you.]

It'd also help if the (thing I sincerely hope is a) bug was fixed where Status Chance seems to get spread
among the "mines" like with the old Shotgun Status calculations ... or something, see e.g.

And yeah, Talons space program is indeed a hidden gem :D 

8 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

That whole "forced maximum spread" nonsense needs to go, or at least be controllable as you suggested.

It works ~well enough on e.g. Kulstar (you get triangle / square / pentagonal etc shapes for the missile flight formations),
that's an AoE (x2) weapon, you don't need pin-point accuracy there so w/e I guess,  but it seriously hurts a bunch of weapons.

Like, besides Castanas & co, there's e.g. Panthera Prime, where the forced spread (with Split Chamber)
makes it so that aiming perfectly at a distant enough enemy, you are guaranteed to miss them ... wat.

It's a travesty on the Panthera, that's for sure.   And DE should be embarrassed they made the issue much worse on the Prime (because of its lower accuracy rating) and haven't fixed or even acknowledged it SFAIK.  I mean, @[DE]Rebecca ,at least, must have seen Shy illustrate this:

With mines it's not anywhere near as bad since they're larger AoE and we've got control over when they detonate.  Although I could easily see people getting frustrated with it, since we're not used to multishot having obvious drawbacks.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason having aim affect this is because it actually does reduce spread on more traditional weapons. Not just from zoom making it easier to land shots at distance, but mechanically it reduces spread around the reticule.  It even helps the Panthera Prime, although not enough.  And if it has any effect on mines at all, its too subtle for me to detect.

8 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

It'd also help if the (thing I sincerely hope is a) bug was fixed where Status Chance seems to get spread
among the "mines" like with the old Shotgun Status calculations ... or something, see e.g.

As it happens, I've been looking at that issue, and mostly testing with one deployed mine at a time.  I think it's simply a matter of the weapons not having the listed status chance.  For instance, with Talons,  I get maybe a quarter of the non-forced procs I'd expect at ~100% status chance.

13 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

It's a travesty on the Panthera, that's for sure.   And DE should be embarrassed they made the issue much worse on the Prime (because of its lower accuracy rating) and haven't fixed or even acknowledged it SFAIK.  I mean, @[DE]Rebecca ,at least, must have seen Shy illustrate this:

With mines it's not anywhere near as bad since they're larger AoE and we've got control over when they detonate.  Although I could easily see people getting frustrated with it, since we're not used to multishot having obvious drawbacks.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason having aim affect this is because it actually does reduce spread on more traditional weapons. Not just from zoom making it easier to land shots at distance, but mechanically it reduces spread around the reticule.  It even helps the Panthera Prime, although not enough.  And if it has any effect on mines at all, its too subtle for me to detect.

As it happens, I've been looking at that issue, and mostly testing with one deployed mine at a time.  I think it's simply a matter of the weapons not having the listed status chance.  For instance, with Talons,  I get maybe a quarter of the non-forced procs I'd expect at ~100% status chance.

Wow. I LOVE that video!

Archived