So how about a Uranus free roam area?

(XBOX)AceKalibur3176

So hear me out. A friend and I came up with this idea. Basically Uranus is covered in water. So we thought what if there was a free roam area on Uranus. The area is mostly stormy water. There would be grineer labs strewn about. So basically you craft a ship kinda like a railjack. You can have teams on these ships, and use them to take on grineer ships used for imports and exports. You can have a weapon on the ship that latches on to the enemy ship for docking. You can then jump aboard and kill the grineer and loot the ship. There will also be smaller scout boats, which can be taken over, and used as a way to get around more quietly. Being an ocean area, unlike other areas, fish will be everywhere, but there Will be certain landmark islands and reefs for fishing. For hunting, there can be birdlike creatures that fly around, searching for fish to prey on. They hang around outcroppings in the water, and can be tranquilized, allowing you to go on the outcroppings and grab them, or throwing out a net to retrieve it if it falls in water. This net can also be used to retrieve loot barrels floating on the water from destroyed ships. There can also be large scale shark and whale hunts, giving oils and resources for crafting. 

So now there's the next part. Diving machinery.

So like necramechs, these suits can be deployed out and transferred in to. These suits can be used to go deep into the water for tasks like underwater mining, resource gathering, and many other things. For defense against enemies, it comes with a custom set of weapons to protect against grineer divers, sharks, and other creatures that want to eat you. You can also retrieve sentient bones and artifacts off the bottom of the ocean or in small hidden caves. The suit is also capable of being customized, for certain aspects like speed or energy. There will be a limit to how long you can use the suit in a period of time, running out of life support for being under too long. Also it can only go within a certain range of the ship before needing to be pulled back.

Now onto pets.

There were two I've been thinking of. An eagle/hawk like pet, capable of scouting for enemies, and attacking. Then there's the amphibious salamander pet. This pet can adapt to it's climate and secrete toxins at will, projecting it at enemies, giving the toxin status effect. More work will need to be done on the pets.

And now for the area you first come into. 

It is a black stone outcroppings jutting out of the water. Built on and around this is a small village. Docks can be used to secure boats, and after exiting, you'll be able to walk up onto land. This area will be composed primarily of villagers, who's culture is built around fishing and hunting. Here you can build your ship, and customize your diving suit. 

This idea is a work in progress. Thank you for reading.

I like it !

Bonus points if Tyl Regor the daddiest of all daddies is implemented in this and follows you spewing threats and is unbeatable.

No, jokes aside I really like the idea, I hope they go wild with many open words at this point, since clearly it was not a one time thing and the possibilities are endless.

So long as it's unique and different from other open worlds I'm all up for it. I mean, underwater exploring in Uranus, an actual gas city open world in Jupiter, a bustling urban area in, say, Neptune, a sandworm-riddled desert on Mars... That sorta thought train, whichever direction DE decides to go.

As cool as it sounds, some people would not be able to handle underwater gameplay in more open waters. Fear of deep water is a bad feel to some. And if theres large creatures, ho boy that'd really rattle some people up badly.

1 hour ago, (PSN)drollive96 said:

NO MORE OPEN WORLDS!!! i'm sick of them, please dont give DE any ideas

1 hour ago, (PSN)isbergen said:

What?! Why would you want ANOTHER open world grind fest -- give us some good story! There have been TWO open world grinds added since The Sacrifice -- please do not bring another!

Hate to break it to you, but remember the Duviri Paradox? Yeah, thats still a thing that'll eventually be coming in the future that is an open world.

We already have diving mechanics with Sharkwing. I think it works well enough but it is a bit difficult to navigate in underwater tunnels.  Yet some people hate it with so much passion their faces turn red and blue at the mre mentioning of Sharkwing.

4 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

Yeah, the sharkwing caverns are some of my favorite parts of the game, I wouldn't mind an expansion that makes us go full undersea.

But remember: it's not water.

Wait. That stuff isn't supposed to be water? 

Man, I wish they had done more with Sharkwing though. 

I think the truth is, it was a development nightmare and still requires higher specs to run well and that's why they haven't done much with it.

I remember when it first came out, the memory leaks, it was like Swiss Cheese man... 

Those of us who had the right combination of software/hardware to be affected could barely get through sharkwing portions without crashing. 

I think it's a bit soon to talk about the next open world; many people still have a foul taste in their mouths from Deimos, and Deimos isn't even over yet, the Deimos Arcana update adds to the grind even more! give it maybe 6 months or more after Deimos has cooled down and maybe you'll see slightly more interest, assuming we don't have Duviri shown again before then.

I wouldn't mind commandeering a Tenno pirate ship (or just having Railjack be a Submarine as well as an interstellar craft, the Landing Crafts can do it so why not?) and doing raids on Grineer facilities above the surface, stealing all their resources, engaging in Naval battles with Grineer destroyers.. would be neat. probably not gonna happen, but who doesn't want to be a pirate, amirite?

A fully 3d tileset with extreme depths (requires special equipment to access), underwater bases, and a sky area would be kinda neat. Also be freaky as hell for thalassophobes. Especially if there are eidolon-sized underwater creatures down in those depths... 

This would almost definitely have to wait until after the upcoming(???) archwing rework, though. Since like 99% of the open world would be skywing/sharkwing.

14 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Wait... Are we making Uranus jokes in this thread or no?

after reading my own comment I don't know anymore, but I'm trully excited to discover wonders inside the humid and cavernous depths of Uranus. I kinda hate sharkwing but things like "deep ocean" leaves me with the same feeling as the Space... Playing Subnautica and reaching the botton was pure terror for me.

Anyway, this would be aliviated if we just follow Futurama advice...

Archived