Warframe on Stadia

@CorvidI don't understand the "buy the games again" argument. If you already have the game, and you want to play the same game on a different platform, then yes, sure, you must buy it again. Same as all platforms. But if you don't have the game at all, then you're just... buying the game as you normally would, regardless of platform.

If the comment is specifically in comparison to something like GeForce Now, then yes, that is obviously a perk of using GeForce Now. It streams PC games. Stadia is more like a console platform than a PC-streaming service. I've used both services, the difference in what the two are trying to accomplish is evident. GeForce Now is clunky, signing in to Steam, sometimes updating the game before playing, it's just not as smooth of an experience.

You do not need a subscription to play the games you buy. You do not need special hardware to play the games you buy. These two things are optional.

With the subscription, you may be able to play up to 4K resolution, etc. With the special hardware, you can more easily play it on your TV screen (instead of a computer monitor or a mobile device). The subscription is $10/mo. The device(s), if you have none of them, can be had for about $120 (though there are ways to get them bundled or for free). All of these expenses are far less than what a new Xbox or Play Station costs. Far less than a 4K-capable GPU and computer system costs. Far more available to use now than any of those.

Stadia isn't without its flaws and caveats, but it really does have some very appealing features. Much like every other gaming system.

On 2020-11-17 at 5:34 PM, kcpz said:

Hi there—

Stadia's coming out with Destiny 2 as a free to play game this month. What's the likelihood we can get Warframe on Stadia? Is DE looking into it now?

If not, here's my request. Any other Stadians here?

Thanks

🤣🤣🤣🤫🤫

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Heiven said:

From what ive read, when google pulls the plug on its services( any of those from the google dead list) the clients do get all of there money that they have invested in. Similarly  Stadia returns the players money if the game they paid for is added in the subscription category as a free title.

Please forgive me for saying I'll believe that if/when I see it.

4 hours ago, krisvek said:

@DarthK3vThe all-digital, all-online aspect of Stadia isn't much different than how Netflix, Spotify, etc. work today, yet those services have millions and millions of subscribers. The business model has been around for many years, and has been accepted by many paying customers. Of course, you and others aren't obligated to partake.

As Corvid already said, that's not a 1:1 comparison. For most gamers, video games are an investment we plan to enjoy for a long time. It doesn't make sense to continue paying for those games over time just for the privilege to play without more content being added at the same time. And in the case of games like Warframe where you can play for free with free updates over time on every other platform, why would I pay to play it on Stadia?

In the case of Netflix, most people don't tend to rewatch shows or movies that often, with a few examples based on each individual. Generally they watch it once and move on to the next. The ability to rewatch is just a bonus. But that makes a subsription platform much more sensible than buying box sets of DVDs which will largely collect dust between viewings months or years apart.

Spotify works along similar points. A lot of people don't have any one specific genre or artist they prefer listening to, and are generally cool listening to a variety of music. Spotify gives them that variety without making them go out and look for specific tracks or albums on things like iTunes. Personally I don't use Spotify because I actually prefer listening to the same songs multiple times, so it's easier for me to just obtain the actual tracks or albums. But at least with Spotify I can see the appeal.

• Like 1

@DarthK3vThe consoles have their own services that you must pay to play online. Furthermore, you've missed where it has been stated that you absolutely do not need to pay the subscription in order to play the games you buy. Explicitly: You can buy a game on Stadia and play it on Stadia without paying for the subscription. 

Of course it's not quite 1:1, video games are different than movies and shows and music, but your examples don't really illustrate reasons why Stadia wouldn't make sense for some people. Friends and The Office are some of the most watched shows on video streaming services, so yes, it appears that millions of people are willing to pay a subscription for access to old content. 

12 minutes ago, krisvek said:

@DarthK3vThe consoles have their own services that you must pay to play online. Furthermore, you've missed where it has been stated that you absolutely do not need to pay the subscription in order to play the games you buy. Explicitly: You can buy a game on Stadia and play it on Stadia without paying for the subscription. 

Of course it's not quite 1:1, video games are different than movies and shows and music, but your examples don't really illustrate reasons why Stadia wouldn't make sense for some people. Friends and The Office are some of the most watched shows on video streaming services, so yes, it appears that millions of people are willing to pay a subscription for access to old content. 

Except that Stadia isn't advertising that you can use it for free. They are explicitly trying to get you to pay for that subscription. And the free games you get with that subscription? They aren't worth a lot of attention. I've looked through the list, and only recognized a few titles. You only get a few of them at a time too. And you'll never get the really big name games for free, you'll still have to buy those full price while also paying a subscription. And if I don't subscribe and just play in a browser; what is this, the early 90s and the age of flash games? Browser-based gaming is archaic. Why would I pay full price to stream Cyberpunk to a browser when I can pay the same price to play the game natively on my own hardware?

The fact is Stadia isn't appealing to the already-entrenched gamer. We already have our PCs. We already have our consoles. We don't need another service vying for our attention. The only people who might be interested in Stadia are the people who don't have any of these yet. And those people are generally the people who aren't big on gaming anyway, or can't afford to buy a PC or console. And if they can't afford those, what would make them think they can afford a subscription?

Stadia is a bad idea. More than that, it's a dangerous idea. If it caught on, other game services would get the idea they could charge subscriptions too. How'd you like to have to pay a monthly fee to use Steam? No? I didn't think so.

Edit: I missed an interested party for Stadia: the rich and bored. People who can afford to just throw money at something because of their excess. And I for one think the rich have ruined enough things for us. I don't need them mucking up how I game.

Edited by DarthK3v
Clarification
  • Like 4

@DarthK3vOf course they're advertising the subscription, wouldn't it be stupid for a business not to? That doesn't negate the fact that you can buy a game and play it without the subscription.

The free games from Stadia Pro are at least comparable/competitive with what Games For Gold and Playstation Plus offer, which is impressive for a new platform. And I've already shared my opinion about Microsoft's Game Pass service, it's phenomenal and blows away the competition right now.

You appear to not have even tried the service, playing it in the browser is seamless, full-screen, and much like playing any other PC game. It has some nice multitasking conveniences as well. Your own hardware may not have the best specs, or it may not be able to fit in your pocket. You can log in to Stadia from ANY computer and play.

I am an already-entrenched gamer and Stadia remains appealing to me. I have a PC, I'm even planning for a big upgrade in 2021. I play games on PC because I prefer the customization, the control, the modding, and the higher graphical fidelity achievable through it when compared to consoles. Regardless, Stadia offers convenience and access that I can't deny. The market has proven many times that people will buy multiple competing consoles, so Stadia is just another option with different appeals to potential customers. 

Your last statement is what, I think, the root of your argument against Stadia is, and I'm not indifferent to it. I hear you, I understand, and I share some concerns. But subscription services and microtransactions have been around for a long time already, Stadia is not the harbinger of that doom. Streaming games is a reasonable and appealing option, the technology itself isn't profane.

If you're afraid of the large market shift in general, I understand and share that fear. However, Stadia isn't the cause of it, nor is it yet a major contributor to it. You're raging against the wrong machine, it's been happening for many years already with Xbox Live and Game Pass, Playstation Plus, Playstation Now, Nintendo Switch Online, GeForce Now, Apple Games, Google Play Pass, Netflix, Spotify, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc etc etc.

It's too late, man, it's too late. If you game primarily on PC, and primarily with Steam (as do I), then just appreciate the amazing special unicorn that it is and hope that it and services like it ultimately prevail in the market place. But you need to realize that monthly active Xbox users alone dwarf the number of concurrent Steam users. Closed-gardens and subscription-based models are absolutely dominating the market place.

Edited by krisvek

@(XBOX)CI shadow2397There is no "a stadia" to buy. There is the service, Stadia, that you can subscribe to. There is a Chromecast Ultra, that you can use to play Stadia games on your TV. There is a Stadia controller that you can use with the games. I'm just curious what aspect of it it is that you tried, and what you didn't like about it.

4 minutes ago, krisvek said:

@(XBOX)CI shadow2397There is no "a stadia" to buy. There is the service, Stadia, that you can subscribe to. There is a Chromecast Ultra, that you can use to play Stadia games on your TV. There is a Stadia controller that you can use with the games. I'm just curious what aspect of it it is that you tried, and what you didn't like about it.

I subscribed to stadia bought a controller gave 3 months of a chance and unsubscribed to stop wasting money.

23 hours ago, krisvek said:

@DarthK3vOf course they're advertising the subscription, wouldn't it be stupid for a business not to? That doesn't negate the fact that you can buy a game and play it without the subscription.

The free games from Stadia Pro are at least comparable/competitive with what Games For Gold and Playstation Plus offer, which is impressive for a new platform. And I've already shared my opinion about Microsoft's Game Pass service, it's phenomenal and blows away the competition right now.

You appear to not have even tried the service, playing it in the browser is seamless, full-screen, and much like playing any other PC game. It has some nice multitasking conveniences as well. Your own hardware may not have the best specs, or it may not be able to fit in your pocket. You can log in to Stadia from ANY computer and play.

I am an already-entrenched gamer and Stadia remains appealing to me. I have a PC, I'm even planning for a big upgrade in 2021. I play games on PC because I prefer the customization, the control, the modding, and the higher graphical fidelity achievable through it when compared to consoles. Regardless, Stadia offers convenience and access that I can't deny. The market has proven many times that people will buy multiple competing consoles, so Stadia is just another option with different appeals to potential customers. 

Your last statement is what, I think, the root of your argument against Stadia is, and I'm not indifferent to it. I hear you, I understand, and I share some concerns. But subscription services and microtransactions have been around for a long time already, Stadia is not the harbinger of that doom. Streaming games is a reasonable and appealing option, the technology itself isn't profane.

If you're afraid of the large market shift in general, I understand and share that fear. However, Stadia isn't the cause of it, nor is it yet a major contributor to it. You're raging against the wrong machine, it's been happening for many years already with Xbox Live and Game Pass, Playstation Plus, Playstation Now, Nintendo Switch Online, GeForce Now, Apple Games, Google Play Pass, Netflix, Spotify, HBO Max, Peacock, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc etc etc.

It's too late, man, it's too late. If you game primarily on PC, and primarily with Steam (as do I), then just appreciate the amazing special unicorn that it is and hope that it and services like it ultimately prevail in the market place. But you need to realize that monthly active Xbox users alone dwarf the number of concurrent Steam users. Closed-gardens and subscription-based models are absolutely dominating the market place.

I'm just gonna agree to disagree at this point. Neither of us is gonna change the mind of the other.

• Like 1

There are a few problems that i know of with stadia. One of them being that it supposedly requires certification like on consoles. Second i suspect is that its most likely a horrible flop. I know that at least the elder scrolls online had to slow their patching on PC to once every other week when they went to stadia, so... Imagine that for warframe. A horrible buggy mess of a patch is released that leaves the game nearly unplayable and then takes two weeks for a fix to show up rather than one day.

Edited by Vahenir
  • Like 1
On 2020-11-17 at 5:34 PM, kcpz said:

Hi there—

Stadia's coming out with Destiny 2 as a free to play game this month. What's the likelihood we can get Warframe on Stadia? Is DE looking into it now?

If not, here's my request. Any other Stadians here?

Thanks

DE said nothing so far.

Also I don't believe it will play well on it. Personally I had many crashes in the ps4 so with streaming it it will be be in a worst place. There also the update problem as the team will need to be split up more.

Before so I see DE having warframe stream via game pass first to see how it works.