Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The War With A Pre-Determined Outcome

Llyssa

So far so good, I've managed to guess who would win every single battlefield at the very start by merely observing one fact: what rewards were on each side. We're unsurprisingly opportunistic in our side selection.

Neither cause is particularly noble--remember, the grineer are mad because Alad was supposed to give the cryopods to Ruk, and he thought he could skim this batch for himself, as it wasn't officially on any manifest; who knows what Ruk has been doing with the Tenno Alad was previously shipping him. Probably nothing good--the grineer have a lot of chopped up warframe chunks("blueprints"), and Ruk is the head of procurement.

So, we have a "war", where the sole determining factor of "who wins this battle?" is the value of the reward their side offers.

Grineer losses so far:

offering 3 morphics(the most common rare mat right now) versus 150k credits,

offering orokin reactor versus orokin catalyst(the fight's not over just yet, but it's at 96%completion for the catalyst, which, as there's more weapons than warframes, more people need it),

The rest, they've won, by offering better rewards, generally ones that cost more to build than the amount of credits the corpus have offered.

The only current one that seems a "tough call" so far is 150k versus neurodes. Neurodes, being on the rarer of rares, and in high demand by blueprints, is a fair choice. However, neurodes are losing atm, mainly because there's only 3 being offered, which equates to 1 lucky drop on a neurode producing mission. As Xini, the solarsytem's most popular defense, has a neurodes chance, it's not overly surprising that fewer people want that reward.

(Oddly, as neurodes are a "grineer design", you'd think they'd be the ones offering them. o.0)

So, in total, we've had ~0 surprising battles so far. We follow the rewards, and DE sets them, so the end of this "war" was known to basically all of them ahead of time.

The basic idea is cool, but the reward imbalance skews it kind of badly.

Ya.. and the "Choose side by reward" does not apply to the Tier 2 Rewards (Vandal/Wraith Weapon) so everyone will end up with a Wraith Mash!tty even if you chose Corpus and wanted the Vandal. Bad design, DE. Bad design... but it is not too late to change that ;)

I agree with your statement, but no, I'm not the one who follows the rewards and I'll support the Corpus cause, no matter what Ruk offers.

I managed to create some little lore about my clan; me and my comrades have kind of "contracts" between us and the Corpus. We're a Shadow Clan and we're all fighting against the Grineer Empire. We're roleplaying addicted, yes.

Plus, I agree that every battle has a foregone winner. Rewards are a bit unbalanced. The only fierce battle was on Martialis.

Edited by Krotalon

Yeah I agree, the rewards pretty much took away any real "competition" between the Grineer & the Corpus, its a shame, its a good concept and would have worked very well had it not had heavy sided rewards in favour of one faction.

As it is now, we all know what side will be winning the "war", so now the decision is, do you forget all the Corpus runs you did & start doing Grineer to get the T3 rewards or do you just not bother with either?

The only weapon I was interested in was the Detron, since nobody is getting that I think I will just stick with the T2 rewards and wait for it to be added to the Dojo (or where ever it ends up) and from now on just do what most other seem to be doing, the missions that give you the best rewards, so Grineer mostly.

Edited by t4m5t3r

It would be kinda funny if now the rewards would change, so the corpus get all the good rewards, and everyone leaves the grineer.

This would show how much the community wants the rewards.

However it is not a bad community. Just a community full of needs for cool stuff, keep that in mind. This community is great and i have only met kind people so far.

Still i prefer Corpus, but  "Profit numbs the feeling" does in NO WAY apply to this situation, grinneer people keeping nice stuff to themselves. I am kinda mad about that, because i can't sream my favourite quote all over the battlefield.

Ya.. and the "Choose side by reward" does not apply to the Tier 2 Rewards (Vandal/Wraith Weapon) so everyone will end up with a Wraith Mash!tty even if you chose Corpus and wanted the Vandal. Bad design, DE. Bad design... but it is not too late to change that ;)

F*** YOUR S#&$, some of us really want a Machete that doesn't suck.

The large clans aren't that large. The warbros, for example, are trying to save martialis right now. However, catalysts are slightly more popular than reactors, so it's a rather slow demise.

Imagine if all of the rewards from now on were skewed towards corpus. If every corpus mission gave a catalyst bp, and every grineer mission gave a stack of credits, how many of them do you really think would end up as grineer wins?

Newest tossup: Forma for each side. My first instinct: Win for the grineer. Why? In an even struggle, there's already a lot of clans heavily invested in the grineer, because of their higher value rewards early on. So far, it's a slow(but not as slow as Martialis) struggle in the grineer's favor.

It's a bit late now, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Clearly, as the event goes on, DE should have programmed it so the losing side starts offering better rewards over the other. This could be completed by either increasing the rewards on the losing side, or the winning side decreasing rewards, or a mix of both. It all makes sense in lore to do these things.

If you were losing a war, you might offer more incentive. If you were winning, you might try to conserve resources, especially when given to a faction you don't like.

To do this technically, they could multiply the losing side's rewards by 1.5 and round up. The randomness can still remain, DE. I know you came up with the amounts with some idea that they were equal in value (whether true in practice or not).

e.g.

- Grineer offers 5 Fieldron

- Corpus offers 150,000 credits

This is a real one and Grineer won this. But let's say this came later, around... NOW since the event is likely half over or more.

- Grineer offers 5 Fieldron

- Corpus offers 150,000 credits times 1.5 = 225,000 credits

Maybe that will be more enticing. Maybe not, but at least the Corpus tried. If it comes down to potato vs potato, rounding up means 2v1 potato. Or if the system could handle it (which I'm guessing it can't currently), you can add on credits as more incentive. [Potato] vs [potato and credits] might go in the favor of the credits side. Just maybe.

I know Alad V would do this. Now it's time for DE to do this.

Edit: Also OP, fighting against the grineer is inherently tougher, and people will also take the path of least resistance when they can. Fighting a room full of Napalms is way harder than a room full of Fusion Moas.

Edited by gell

The sad thing is, if they hadn't added these mission rewards? The event would have otherwise worked as described: Purely based on player choice loer/faction choice, or even just the 'end game' goal.

The addition of skewed rewards, however, utterly changed their original design intention for this event. I'm sort of surprised they didn't see that as a possibility, or have a single developer raise their voice in concern over that idea when this was still being fleshed out on a whiteboard or something.