Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Request] Corpus Railgun

Vaskadar

Currently, we only have two snipers, and I often wonder while playing, why only the Snipetron and Paris? I think a wall-piercing railgun is in order. Perhaps with inherent puncture properties, but a charge-up time and a fairly slow firing rate. I'm sure that this has already been suggested, but I feel that it would be a good functional complement to the current snipetron, which has a moderate firing rate.

Damage: 150

Puncture: 4.0 Meters

Charge Time: 0.6s

Magazine Size: 2

Reload Time: 2.0 seconds

Fire Rate: 0.8

Special Property

X-Ray Vision Scope?

JzaLAgQ.jpg

Doodle is meant to reflect corpus design of highly angular weaponry.

Many elements of this game are complete science fantasy, so adding realism defeats the feel of the game, but... I'd imagine that a railgun in this universe would utilize nanoporous batteries to rapidly charge from some kind of small radioisotopic generator. The weapon itself would be made out of advanced nano-molecular structures and layered fibers to improve durability and sustainability without maintenance. Granted, large amounts of heat would be generated from firing such a weapon, so heatsinks would also be necessary to mitigate and dampen the heat output to reduce damage to the firing mechanisms over sustained usage.

As far as game mechanics go: It would be mechanically interesting to have it charge, creating a high risk, high reward weapon with ludicrous per-shot damage. It'd be far different from the Paris in the regards that it is basically an instant-hit weapon, and having a two-shot magazine means that you do get a follow-up shot if you miss, but you have to pay the penalty of a fairly tedious reload, so that reload and fire rate mods would improve the overall DPS of this particular weapon. Pulling the trigger should draw energy from the generator to prep the weapon for firing. The weapon itself would have a minimum charge requirement mechanism in place to ensure that premature firing does not occur.

Another weapon to look at:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/24759-weapon-request-charged-shot-corpus-pulse-pistol/

Edited by Vaskadar

Not really, a railgun is a current technology...

Most of them are impractically heavy and require huge capacitors attached to them to fire at desirable velocities. A portable railgun with lethal penetrative properties is at this point, science fiction. Granted, it's near-future tech, but still.

So? It's never been said some of the guns in this game aren't like IRL weapons. Lex looks a hell of a lot like a magnum handgun. Braton Vandal's getting close to a P90.

I was saying that in response to Davante, not the OP. Of course I'm fine with it in the game. I was just saying that Davante was incorrect when (s)he said that "you don't get more sci-fi than that."

could be a rifle with a special effect.

bolto got 100% AP incompatible with Penetrate and AP mods

Railgun could have piecing as base, that would be the pro, but what would be the con?

but yes, a railgun would be a nice weapon^^

im leveling my latron for now, because i cant carry enough ammo with my snipetron xD

Most of them are impractically heavy and require huge capacitors attached to them to fire at desirable velocities. A portable railgun with lethal penetrative properties is at this point, science fiction. Granted, it's near-future tech, but still.

Considering hand-held railguns right now can deliver as much energy as a .22LR (which is, indeed, fatal) and their big issue is projectile stability, it's mostly fine tuning the technology now.