Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon Request] Corpus Railgun

Vaskadar

Ha but here's the beauty, force that pushes the bullet out of a electric based rail gun works like series of on/off magnets that pull/accelerate the bullet thus removing kickback or knock back from bullets at all. I suppose that there might be some force upon bullets exit but nothing that even comes close to a  latron, far less powerful.

Even if it were true that railguns didn't have recoil [which it isn't], you'd still need some material that could resist ridiculously high projectile velocities...

Even if it were true that railguns didn't have recoil [which it isn't], you'd still need some material that could resist ridiculously high projectile velocities...

I never said that they don't have recoil I said that their recoil is far less. Of-course if were talking here about a 28mm round that would bang some serous force.

I never said that they don't have recoil I said that their recoil is far less. Of-course if were talking here about a 28mm round that would bang some serous force.

To have any proper effect, a projectile would have to be pretty massive, actually... Small one would just pierce through, and while supersonic munitions would be hell for grineer/vorpus meatbags,  they would still lack the stopping power.  

Action and reaction, dude. 

To have any proper effect, a projectile would have to be pretty massive, actually... Small one would just pierce through, and while supersonic munitions would be hell for grineer/vorpus meatbags,  they would still lack the stopping power.  

Action and reaction, dude. 

It appears that we are talking about different rail guns. I'm talking about a metal projectile which is being pushed/accelerated through the barrel with use of electricity this allowing ultra fast projectile speed with a little or none recoil. 

It appears that we are talking about different rail guns. I'm talking about a metal projectile which is being pushed/accelerated through the barrel with use of electricity this allowing ultra fast projectile speed with a little or none recoil. 

And I'm telling you that impulse of recoil will be equal to impulse of projectile. If it's ultra-fast, it will have to be very tiny to have less recoil. Impulse is mass*speed so with huge speed even tiny mass will have quite an impulse. The projectile will have kinetic energy to punch through a tank, so the railgun will have the same energy, pushing it back, scaled for the mass of course.

The body of the gun will feel exactly the same amount of force as projectile does. The forward momentum of the projectile must be equal to the backwards momentum of the launcher. You can use some clever counter-recoil systems but they only work for vehicle-mounted railguns.

The only reason a railgun will have less recoil than a traditional firearm is because the acceleration of the railgun is constant so the force is spread out more than the instantaneous acceleration of a gunpowder firearm, however it all happens so fast that in terms of tangible recoil there will be no difference between the two.

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That being said here is my Reaction:

We should get back onto the subject of a working railgun design within the warframe game. I am sure DARPA has a working model someplace in the real world.

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. That being said here is my Reaction:

We should get back onto the subject of a working railgun design within the warframe game. I am sure DARPA has a working model someplace in the real world.

Well, we were discussing wether or not it should have huge recoil. Not that it would matter actually since, well, slow gun.

So, rise your hands who want it to draw ammo from the pool directly and have a charge-up after both shooting and taking gun out?

Moderate Recoil and a reload I feel are good balancing points to the tremendous fire power. Course with the Paris there was a "direct draw" from the ammo pool but still required a reload. That would work. Would have to have the proper amount of delay inbetween shoots though

Moderate Recoil and a reload I feel are good balancing points to the tremendous fire power. Course with the Paris there was a "direct draw" from the ammo pool but still required a reload. That would work. Would have to have the proper amount of delay inbetween shoots though

Well, hence why recoil doesn't matter. The charge would be noticeable. But automatic... So you would get a nice sound of your gun charging up after shooting...

According to this they have exactly the same recoil as conventional firearms in addition to other problems, like the barrel trying to split in half after every shot and generator torque.

http://www.utexas.edu/research/cem/IEEE/PR%2052%20Weldon%20Publications.pdf

Well, yeah, Second and Third Law of Newtonian motion apply here. Plus, the movement of the projectile is so incredibly fast (assuming that it is being propelled up to hypersonic speeds), that the force from the acceleration of the projectile would feel like firing a 12.7mm rifle (assuming penetration and joules of the projectile are similar).

I've had many discussions in this realm of magnetically launched projectiles, and this thread is brushing over the same concepts and questions discussed before.

Many elements of this game are complete science fantasy, so adding realism defeats the feel of the game, but... I'd imagine that a railgun in this universe would utilize nanoporous batteries to rapidly charge from some kind of small radioisotopic generator. The weapon itself would be made out of advanced nano-molecular structures and layered fibers to improve durability and sustainability without maintenance. Granted, large amounts of heat would be generated from firing such a weapon, so heatsinks would also be necessary to mitigate and dampen the heat output to reduce damage to the firing mechanisms over sustained usage.

As far as game mechanics go: It would be mechanically interesting to have it charge, creating a high risk, high reward weapon with ludicrous per-shot damage. It'd be far different from the Paris in the regards that it is basically an instant-hit weapon, and having a two-shot magazine means that you do get a follow-up shot if you miss, but you have to pay the penalty of a fairly tedious reload, so that reload and fire rate mods would improve the overall DPS of this particular weapon. Pulling the trigger should draw energy from the generator to prep the weapon for firing.

In a real-world situation, though, the sole purpose of a railgun is to propel projectiles faster and further than conventional firearms.

Edited by Vaskadar