Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Conservation changes are very nice, but I am still colorblind

Cerikus

I very much appreciate all the conservation changes. The icon that shows tranqed animals is great. And the rebalance of getting more tags based on capture quality is great as well.

But.. The title.

I am still colorblind and it still takes me minutes to find the animal, especially on deimos, where everything is orange (or that's what I have been told - I don't actually know if it's orange).

The colorblind filters don't help at all, also my colorblindes type is not in the options. So I am fricked.. 

Can we have an option to change the color? Or can you change it to some bright pink or something? Please.

Also I don't really want to create a drama or anything, so please don't take it that way.

But if this design is intentional to slow down players from gretting the animal tags too fast, you are literally punishing disabled people for being disabled.

Colourblind means nothing, it flashes orange in a nearly entirely orange open world. That and it's about the size of a Warframe's foot in an entire open world landscape.

It's just terrible decision making all round, and there should be a better indication of direction than just "look around for 30 minutes trying to spot the thing that occasionally flashes."

2 hours ago, Cerikus said:

I am still colorblind and it still takes me minutes to find the animal, especially on deimos, where everything is orange (or that's what I have been told - I don't actually know if it's orange).

Friend, I'm not colour-blind and I still can't tell the orange conservation animal glow on Tranq Rifle scope apart from the orange everything on Deimos. You're not alone there :) I know this isn't the point you're making, but to me Deimos is a massive failure of art design not because the art is BAD per se, but because it's messy and monochrome to the point that it actively interferes with game mechanics.

2 hours ago, Cerikus said:

The colorblind filters don't help at all, also my colorblindes type is not in the options. So I am fricked.. 

Out of curiosity, what type of colour-blindness do you have? As far as I recall, DE are more or less perpetually working on colour-blind options, so you may have more luck asking for a colour-blind option that fits your type.

12 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

Out of curiosity, what type of colour-blindness do you have? As far as I recall, DE are more or less perpetually working on colour-blind options, so you may have more luck asking for a colour-blind option that fits your type.

I have protanomaly. Yes DE added colorblind correction some time ago, but unfortunately they only included protanopia, deuteranopia and tritanopia. Sadly these filters actually make it even worse for me, so I don't use them. 

I obviously don't see only black and white, but I have a very bad time trying to distinguish colors like: red/green, blue/purple, gray/pink, red/brown, yellow/green, etc.. 

This issue also comes up with the color palets. For example these are ok, because I can guess what the colors are based on my knowledge of how colors go in a spectrum:

sTBzuJY.png

But palets like this is literally unusable for me, because I have no idea.

LHUxH36.png

8 hours ago, Cerikus said:

I have pronanomaly. Yes DE added colorblind correction some time ago, but unfortunately they only included protanopia, deuteranopia and tritanopia. Sadly these filters actually make it even worse for me, so I don't use them. 

I ran a quick search for the term, and Google insists this is spelled "protanomaly." I was wondering if you could confirm? If that's the case, then I would say you absolutely should be suggesting adding a protanomaly colour-blind option. In fact, I'd recommend making a separate suggestion thread just for that, maybe drop a link to it here. Colour-blind accessibility options are often ignored in gaming, but I for one feel they're very important, as their impact is massive relative to the cost of their implementation. I would absolutely support adding more of them.

8 hours ago, Cerikus said:

But palets like this is literally unusable for me, because I have no idea.

I don't understand why DE even make palettes like this in the first place. The example you gave has multiple rows of what to me looks like almost the same colours, but they're spaced out across the palette. Why? You have three rows of yellows, two rows of orange, three rows of brown, etc., but none of them are placed next to each other. Honestly, I wish DE would just give up trying to sell us colours and just give us a colour picker. The game already has a massive ton of customisation to sell anyway, and a colour picker with RGB/HSL values would actually help colour-blind people in that you can tell what a colour is based on its stats.

And then there's Deimos, the place where colour perception is not welcome.

31 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

I ran a quick search for the term, and Google insists this is spelled "protanomaly." I was wondering if you could confirm? If that's the case, then I would say you absolutely should be suggesting adding a protanomaly colour-blind option. In fact, I'd recommend making a separate suggestion thread just for that, maybe drop a link to it here. Colour-blind accessibility options are often ignored in gaming, but I for one feel they're very important, as their impact is massive relative to the cost of their implementation. I would absolutely support adding more of them.

You are 100%. I somehow made a typo in most important word of the whole paragraph :D (I already fixed it in my post)

Yes I will try to bring up this issue as often as possible, so DE hopefully notices.

32 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

I don't understand why DE even make palettes like this in the first place. The example you gave has multiple rows of what to me looks like almost the same colours, but they're spaced out across the palette. Why? You have three rows of yellows, two rows of orange, three rows of brown, etc., but none of them are placed next to each other. Honestly, I wish DE would just give up trying to sell us colours and just give us a colour picker. The game already has a massive ton of customisation to sell anyway, and a colour picker with RGB/HSL values would actually help colour-blind people in that you can tell what a colour is based on its stats.

I get it. It's a microtransaction, which makes this game possible. They gotta sell the palets. I actually have 2 solutions for all of this. One of them I already suggested to DE, but it got ignored.

1) They can easily obtain a database of colors based on RGB value. Now I will talk gamedesign: "The objects (colored square) has to have data about it containing RGB value. If they get a database of colors and connect it to the RGB value, they could do something like:

NJFB3Fx.png

2) Other solution would bring together RGB colorpicker and the palets. They could add a button, that would open a big RGB colorpicker that would be divided into many squares (as many as there are currently in all the paltes), aranged into the color spectrum. All of them would have to be unlocked by buying the palets, but people would get a better sense of what the color is.

It's not only for colour blind people. I it affects everybodoy to different degrees of course.

I've constantly say and I am not tired of repeatig that WF just have in general visual language problem. Deimos is very tough on the eyes as are some other places. Big action happesn tons of firework vfx and goodbye deciphering what's going on. The same overall palette makes it worse. The day enemies are made more clear and easily distinguished and not blend with environemnt as one entity (not only on open worlds it's everywhere) is the day many people will re-joyce. I firmly believe it is bound to happen :) (hey, I hope so).

5 hours ago, Cerikus said:

2) Other solution would bring together RGB colorpicker and the palets. They could add a button, that would open a big RGB colorpicker that would be divided into many squares (as many as there are currently in all the paltes), aranged into the color spectrum. All of them would have to be unlocked by buying the palets, but people would get a better sense of what the color is.

The problem with a Colour Picker is one of monetisation - you can't really monetise it. Colour is an inherently 3D / 3-channel space. Whether you're using RGB or HSL, you have three separate values which makes it difficult to arrange colours in a line or a grid and just chomp sections of it off for sale. This is why I proposed discontinuing the sale of colour palettes and either just letting everyone have all of the colours or at best selling players full access to the hue, saturation and luminance band. For instance, a new player might have access to a selection of just 10 or so colours with fixed hue, saturation and luminance. They could then pay to unlock those, gradually getting access to the full colour space.

In general, I feel that colour palette monetisation is getting in the way of game design, as it requires that colours be split into unintuitive, jumbled packages and prevents the implementation of a unified colour selection UI. You can't have 24-bit colour selection if you're trying to sell players on individual colours, after all. I'm of the opinion that DE have enough monetisation vectors to afford not selling colours for the sake of better game design. And, as a bonus, colour-blind players can check colour values and determine what a colour actually is.

Oh, and for those worried that colour-matching would become even harder - that's where "Favourite" colours come in. Any game I've seen with custom colours has allowed me to save a set of them to use across multiple costume pieces or even multiple characters.

1 hour ago, Steel_Rook said:

The problem with a Colour Picker is one of monetisation - you can't really monetise it. Colour is an inherently 3D / 3-channel space. Whether you're using RGB or HSL, you have three separate values which makes it difficult to arrange colours in a line or a grid and just chomp sections of it off for sale. This is why I proposed discontinuing the sale of colour palettes and either just letting everyone have all of the colours or at best selling players full access to the hue, saturation and luminance band. For instance, a new player might have access to a selection of just 10 or so colours with fixed hue, saturation and luminance. They could then pay to unlock those, gradually getting access to the full colour space.

In general, I feel that colour palette monetisation is getting in the way of game design, as it requires that colours be split into unintuitive, jumbled packages and prevents the implementation of a unified colour selection UI. You can't have 24-bit colour selection if you're trying to sell players on individual colours, after all. I'm of the opinion that DE have enough monetisation vectors to afford not selling colours for the sake of better game design. And, as a bonus, colour-blind players can check colour values and determine what a colour actually is.

Oh, and for those worried that colour-matching would become even harder - that's where "Favourite" colours come in. Any game I've seen with custom colours has allowed me to save a set of them to use across multiple costume pieces or even multiple characters.

I couldn't agree more with 100% of what you said. <3

Hopefully DE will figure it out somehow.

I'm not color blind and I (and more likely everyone else) have problems finding the animals.

The animal tracking system needs a complete overhaul, because it still uses recycled codex scanner code since Plains was released.

I mean, its obvious they didnt test this (or played their own game aside instantly adding a million tags through console commands), because even the guy with the most miraculous vision wont find a FLYING, rat-sized, ORANGE model in an ORANGE terrain in a 200 SQUARE METERS area, while tentacles force themselves into your every orifice.

The tranquilized animal marker was a good start, but its mostly useless because if YOU tranq'd the animal, you KNOW where it is, because you are literally looking at it.

The beeping is useless, all it serves for is to tell you "there is something in this 200m³ area". Then you have to spend like 5 minutes spinning like an idiot to see if you manage to get a glimpse of a flashing orange. And even then the thing might be stuck inside a wall or a tumor.

Archived