Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I Playing Ember Wrong ?

HorusStrike

Question

i mean she is slow but not tanky ,she is all about Close Combat and yet non of her abilities gives her any protection(invincibility) overheat is very weak and almost useless 

she got a very low armor ,very fragile frame 

so what exactly am i supposed to play her ,i just dont get it and the thing is she is my favourite frame 

17 answers to this question

You just summed up every problem Ember has atm.

There will be some great player who could make any 'Frame look good with whatever handicap that will come and say she is fine or whatever, but she isn't. 

All I can say is be extra careful when you are playing her and hope for the best....

Looking over her current set up, she sounds like she's supposed to be like Nova, dealing out damage but being very vulnerable in the process. From what I've heard, her abilities for this don't quite work well enough for this idea.

I don't play her often enough to give any tips but I suppose just try to be more wary of your surroundings and don't leap out into a crowd unless you have World on fire going and over all, play her a little more carefully. I know that's not exactly the way a big ball of fire like Ember sounds like she should be played but that's all I got.

Edited by Haldos

ember was also my favorite frame at the beginning of my tenure. her overheat was amazing back in the day but it's sadly been nerfed without any form of true compensation. she's a true nightmare to low level enemies (sub 40 thereabout) but as enemies get stronger she gets weaker, because all her abilities scale off of armor. that is to say enemy armor reduces her dmg.so chances are you're not playing her wrong, she's just in a bad place right now. I have mine picking up dust...i use her for mastery rank tests only now. I'm hoping and waiting that they fix her up soon otherwise I would've wasted  an orokin reactor. (which are hard to come by since they show up on alerts at the crack of dawn for some ungodly reason)

as for tips. maximize her 2 and 4 at the very least and max out focus. it'll give you the best combination of damage and durability (though still not much) that she can offer while being mobile. when running towards enemies avoid straight lines. especially against ancients and anyone who can potentially knock you down or lock you up with some cc. be mindful of how long overheat lasts as well so you don't get caught with it off in the middle of a mob. equip stretch to help mitigate how close you need to be to do dmg to enemies. also her 1 (fireball) is useless right now, don't bother with it. you're better off having a close range weapon when using her (shotgun) to compliment her "In-your-face" playstyle.

Edited by UvoWolFoX

I've faced this problem also Tenno. 

Equip a 2uh8kcj.png Mod so you can run around while your Ultimate is on. 

Also Equip a maxed 2aa0zva.png so you World of Fire Ability is enhanced and it does not take so much to kill a high level Grineer/Corpus/Infested.

Make sure to equip a 144afsn.png so you don't die so quickly.

Sorry. This is my only knowledge.

Edited by AliciaTA

To be honest, Steel fibre wouldn't do a whole lot +110% extra armor is only 21 armor total. So while true in-terms of this helping her not die as quickly, she would still die pretty fast lol. The idea is Stretch + Focus + Constitution/Continuity. Then, you can take a leisurely stroll while killing most everything in her wake. Her overheat ability still works rather nicely, I randomly use a char and then just forget about them for a week or more at times. I can honestly say that she is fun to make the newbies drool with. But in all honesty she does need a bit more armor or damage reduction in certain areas even if the duration of overheat ends up being like how the previous iron skin used to be. Idk, I am just rambling at this point lol.

Edited by RavenOfTheFlock

Exactly how is she a support frame? 

Because

You could probably run through the first couple planets with her (almost literally) but after that you're gonna find it harder and harder to do damage and or stay alive.

I assume you are referring to Ember in the context of playing solo, in which case as you indicate there are better frames for solo play BUT when playing with others Ember is a valuable contribution to a team that is lacking in offensive support capability (crowd control abilities). 

Edited by Rade.

Unfortunately ember is lackluster without rare, highly fused mods.

With a high blind rage and focus, overheat can become very tanky.

With high blind rage, focus and fleeting expertise, you can spam spam fireblast everywhere killing everything.

But, unpotatoed or unformad, ember is jist not great.

if i remember correctly ember is a warframe whos sole purpose is to combat the Infested faction (with the exclusion of light armored enemies). Shes more of a caster than a run and gun. Even though her abilities need some buff(can with cores)

It may be your:

-build is wrong

-taking much more of a role of being a tank and taking the lead when running missions

-just not taking cover and blatantly running out in the open.

whatever the case try to consider being passively aggressive since ember has average shield rates, low armor, and is slow.

Edited by SharkWithALaserBeam

Shes very good defensively, with multiple fireblasts planted on chokepoints.

WoF is lackluster against Grineer and Ancients, but clears non-Tech Corpus and non-Ancient Infested just fine.

Overheat is 40% mitigation, one of the few mitigations in the game which works with shield damage rather than health damage (Other one is Trinity's Link). Think of it as +40% Effective HP. So if you've got ~700 shields, with Overheat active you can take 1200 damage before you start taking health damage (2400 with guardian on your sentinel) Thats pretty tanky, just not immune to damage like Rhino/Trinity.

The damage from Overheat got a significant increase recently. It ignores armor, and gets bonuses from Focus.

Fireball is worthless at higher levels. Can be fun at lower levels, just not worth it when it doesnt kill stuff. Chance of cc is too low for that purpose too.

I would stack +power Duration/Range/Strength/Efficiency/Max, in that order. Stacking shields works well for some defensive stats - if you're taking health damage you're about to die anyways, although Vitality is good against Infested.

Edited by Darzk

She needs a Sprint Boost and an Armor Boost.

Ember needs to be more like Nova, but she's nowhere near it. Nova has a base armor of 50.0, and a base sprint speed of 1.25, while Ember has 10.0 and 1.0, respectively. The only thing superior about Ember is that she has the highest Shield Recharge among all the Warframes.

I'm sure there's more to it than that but that's my main concern. They are also changing around her abilities so it's not just one ability being better than the last, which is all it is. Nova has this problem, too. Antimatter Particle is only useful when you don't have enough energy to cast her Ultimate, and it's difficult to use anyways, so it's kind of pointless.

Because

I assume you are referring to Ember in the context of playing solo, in which case as you indicate there are better frames for solo play BUT when playing with others Ember is a valuable contribution to a team that is lacking in offensive support capability (crowd control abilities). 

No, I'm referring to her in the context of a team. And when you compare any frame that boasts "crowd control abilities" Ember has zilch, nothing. Look at Vauban's Bastille for example. THAT is crowd control. Not "Maybe" panicking some enemies while doing no dmg to them. Even in a team Ember will become less effective as you go to higher levels because like I said previously almost all her ability damage is reduced by enemy armor. There will come a time when even the infested will laugh at her unfortunately. 

Even in a team Ember will become less effective as you go to higher levels because like I said previously almost all her ability damage is reduced by enemy armor.

The biggest change, imo, in the recent Ember fix was adjusting Fireblast so not only does it scale appropriately with mods, it also ignores enemy armor - and to a lesser extent the same changes to Overheat.

The problem with Ember is not so much that her damage is low, or reduced by armor, its that weapon damage has progressed so far that it's hard to justify stacking an ability at a chokepoint and carefully CCing mobs into it, when you could just shoot the guy in the face.

Ember was quite powerful before the levels increase patch, when armor scaling wasnt much of an issue, even when WoF was broken. They've fixed the armor problem for most of her abilities, but now weapon damage is so high it's hardly worth the effort of using the abilities.

For example, clearing a Vauban's Vortex can be done 4 ways; A weapon with Puncture, a Melee weapon with range and multihit, a weapon with AoE, or a damaging ability. And the last is the most inefficient in terms of time, energy, and effort.