Needed changes for colorblind players

Cerikus

1) Conservation targets are still impossible to see. It has been reported numerous times that even people without colorblindnees cannot see them. It is near impossible for colorblind people. 
Change the color of the targets in the scope and make it more visible.

2) Some time ago you added colorblind correction, but unfortunately they only include protanopia, deuteranopia and tritanopia. Sadly these filters actually make it even worse for people with anomalous colorblindness. Please add filters for protanomaly, deuteranomaly and tritanomaly.

EDIT: Turns out I didn't know that it is already in the works and hopefully will soon be out. Thank you. I hope it will also help with the issues I raised in point 1) and 3)

3) Some color palets have nonsensical arrangement that makes it impossible to assess the colors.

For example: 

THIS IS GOOD:
sTBzuJY.png

THIS IS HORRIBLE:
LHUxH36.png

3) Very, VERY needed change would be to display name of the color if you hover over it with a cursor, like this: 
NJFB3Fx.png

If it would be too much work to create a database for the hex-values, at least create a toggle option to display the raw hex-value when hovered over, which surely is a part of the game object, so it would take minimal dev time. I can cross referense the hexvalues myself in a database I am already using.

Edited by Cerikus
fixed a few typos
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Changes for colour-blindness are coming, as posted in a previous dev stream. Part of this is full UI colour customisation.

Thank you very much for the info. I must have missed that devstream then. Hopefully it will help with all 3 points I was talking about :)

I don't need it, but I do have a friend with red/green colorblindness that thinks most of my clothes are brown. 😆

Having a kinda close ROYGBIV/Brown and B/W/Gray popup would be handy. Even if it's just in the ballpark I could see it being useful for colorblind people to be able to say "I'm the blue person" or something in the chat.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

I have made a similar post about this some time ago. When DE said they are working on more accessibility, I was hopeful, because I thought they may have seen my post, but we got only a colorpicker for UI elements and you pick the colors from PAID COLOR PALETTES. That is ridiculus and nothing useful came out of it, so I am here again.

I know my colorblindness is my own personal problem, but many videogames are able to help people with this condition and I find Warframe lacking in this respect.

I do not have protanopia, deuteranopia or tritanopia (Warframe has compensation for those). My condition is anomalous colorblindness. That doesn't mean I don't see Red, or Green or Blue, but it means that it is impossible for me to distinguish certain colors. (for more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness) I myself suffer from Deuteranomaly, which is actually more common that protanopia, deuteranopia or tritanopia which warframe has compensation for.

Color_blindness.png

The biggest issue I have is the Warframe endgame - fashion frame. The color palettes are a literall hell for me.

They are a nightmare. For example this is abysmal. I have no idea what most of these colors are. 

Warframe0008.jpg

This is better. I can tell what some of these are, because I have learned to surmise the correct color from context.

Warframe0009.jpg

I am not going to comment on this... (as you can see I don't even own this pallete, because why would I? I would never be able to use it)

Warframe0010.jpg

_____

I have a solution tho and I am even ready to offer my free time to DE to do the work for them.

All that needs to be done is add a small text window that appears as you hover over colors. Like this

Warframe0011.jpg

I understand that DE staff probably doesn't have time or resources to do stuff like that, so I am willing to do the hard work and create a database on my own in my free time and give it to DE.
The database would just connect all colors available in all palettes to a color "family". All shades of red will be asigned a label RED, etc.

Please DE let me help you, so you can help me customize my Warframes.

I will sleep better, if I won't accidentally color my Zanagoth's shadow pink. (even tho that would probably be rad.)

Edited by Cerikus
  • Like 1

Hi there @Cerikus!

Overall I personally think that DE made a lot of great improvements over the past years/months when it comes to color-customization.
However, I totally agree with you: 
There is still room for improvement when it comes to changes for certain colorblind-people!
(you already explained it very good, specially together with the wiki link^^ Basically not all kind of colorblind-people can profit from the latest UI-changes)

I think that a few of those changes didn't happen only because of colorblind-people, but because customization in general can be very appealing as a feature for a game. (So maybe some of the results are just "side effects" and not the main focus of those changes) But I digress.

Back to the main point:
Fashionframe for Colorblind people!
That's....whew, I can not imagine how difficult that must be. True endgame to color a thing if you can't destinguish certain colors.
I don't have a solution for that problem. Sorry.

But here a few tips I can offer:

1. Check out this site:
https://polychrome.seldszar.fr/ (It shows all existing fashionframe-colors together with their correct HEX code)

Sooooo you will find every warframe-color-palette on this website + a fancy searchbar.
If you type in the color (or its Hex-Code) you want to use for your fashionframe, the website will show you which color palette has how much of this color. Furthermore you get the HEX code, which is a great way to pinpoint a certain color, even if you can't see it for yourself.

(Sorry if this sounds wobbly, best to just try it out)

Spoiler

here an example:
Want to get that fancy pink blue Zanagoth's shadow? 
unknown.png
on the left side you see alll the color palettes that have some sort of blue. If you hover over 1 specific field, you will get the HEX-code. (which could be interpreted as "a more detailed way to say "blue" " ^^'
You could also copy&google the hexcode of a specific field you are looking at to see what color comes up afterwards, or search for specific hex-codes before using the website~

I know this is not the exact solution you had in mind. It is not a small text window that appears as you hover over colors, just a "more complex" extra website and not ingame...... buuuuut still: maybe it helps?
You could use the website -- write down what color palettes fit -- start Warframe -- fashionframe all over the game. A workaround worth checking out until 1 day maybe your idea gets implemented, who knows :)

2. About the "paid color palettes" problem:
If you need to unlock a certain color-palette, but do not have enough plat (or maybe just don't want to spent plat for it), just message me which color-palette you want and I will gift it to you. No strings attached and no hard feelings if you say no. Just an offer so you might be able to customize your UI better & enjoy the game :)

Hope those 2 tips/ideas help a little bit!
Cheers,

Fabpsi~

Edited by Fabpsi
penguins~
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Fabpsi said:

Hi there @Cerikus!

Overall I personally think that DE made a lot of great improvements over the past years/months when it comes to color-customization.
However, I totally agree with you: there is still room for improvement when it comes to changes for certain colorblind-people!
(you already explained it very good, specially together with the wiki link^^ Basically not all kind of colorblind-people can profit from the latest UI-changes)

I think that a few of those changes didn't happen only because of colorblind-people, but because customization in general can be very appealing as a feature for a game. (So maybe some of the results are just "side effects" and not the main focus of those changes) But I digress.

Back to the main point:
Fashionframe for Colorblind people!
That's....whew, I can not imagine how difficult that must be. True endgame to color a thing if you can't destinguish certain colors.
I don't have a solution for that problem. Sorry.

But here a few tips I can offer:

1. Check out this site:
https://polychrome.seldszar.fr/ (It shows all existing fashionframe-colors together with their correct HEX code)

Sooooo you will find every warframe-color-palette on this website + a fancy searchbar.
If you type in the color (or its Hex-Code) you want to use for your fashionframe, the website will show you which color palette has how much of this color. Furthermore you get the HEX code, which is a great way to pinpoint a certain color, even if you can't see it for yourself.

(Sorry if this sounds wobbly, best to just try it out)

I know this is not the exact solution you had in mind. It is not a small text window that appears as you hover over colors, just a "more complex" extra website and not ingame...... buuuuut still: maybe it helps?
You could use the website -- write down what color palettes fit -- start Warframe -- fashionframe all over the game. A workaround worth checking out until 1 day maybe your idea gets implemented, who knows :)

2. About the "paid color palettes" problem:
If you need to unlock a certain color-palette, but do not have enough plat (or maybe just don't want to spent plat for it), just message me which color-palette you want and I will gift it to you. No strings attached and no hard feelings if you say no. Just an offer so you might be able to customize your UI better & enjoy the game :)

Hope those 2 tips/ideas help a little bit!
Cheers,

Fabpsi~

Thank you for your heartwarming response. You are an amazing person! <3
The website you shared with me is amazing. I had no idea it existed and it will be a great help. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Thank you as well for the amazing offer about the palettes, but I cannot accept that. <3 I like to farm plat myself. 😊
Besides I would feel bad, because I am already accustomed to the vanilla UI colors, so I would not be able to actually use your gift.
If I went and changed the UI colors now I would probably cause myself even more problems. 🤣
The UI is fine. I am very happy with it and it doesn't restricts me from playing in any way.

It's only the fashion frame xd I have to either use this app I have on my phone which detects colors by using camera and tells you the name or I have to ask other people xd

Anyways.. Hopefully DE will find some time to expand colorblind support.

Have a great day Febpsi and thank you again,
Ceri

• 3 months later...

For you other colorblind people.

You can use the Windows 10 Color filters. They work very well, they do for me at least.

Just search for "color filter" in the windows 10 start menu.

DE, copy these maybe

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, angry_turtle said:

For you other colorblind people.

You can use the Windows 10 Color filters. They work very well, they do for me at least.

Just search for "color filter" in the windows 10 start menu.

DE, copy these maybe

Can I honestly say I love you? :D
I must be stupid, because I had no idea windows had this feature.

You have mady my life 1000000x better!!! 

You are my hero!

Edited by Cerikus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...