Is the game an unenjoyable mess of stats and open world grinds for the foreseeable future?

I have more fun right now than I've had in a long time due to the recent Steel Path changes. I've even gotten back to playing several hours daily now (when time allows for it), mixing some weapon mastery and formaing with some Steel Path endless runs and the daily quests.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

I'm really hoping Outriders knocks it out of the park for this reason. Another successful action RPG without some big controversy around it would remind DE that #1 is a title that needs defence in a hurry, but more than that, some of Outriders mechanics seem if not inspired by Warframe, going in the same direction as (outrageous powers, and up-close and personal action). I'd be surprised if the Outrider's devs didn't at least play Warframe and like that experience, even if they wound up making dramatically different choices of how to get there. And inspiration goes both ways.

Not sure Outriders will have the longevity though since it wont be a live service game according to the devs. There will be post campaign stuff, but it will likely be very limited due to this and end rather quickly. It may bring people back for more if they release expansions, but it is hard to have longevity without being a live service game.

• Like 1
Just now, SneakyErvin said:

Not sure Outriders will have the longevity though since it wont be a live service game according to the devs. There will be post campaign stuff, but it will likely be very limited due to this and end rather quickly. It may bring people back for more if they release expansions, but it is hard to have longevity without being a live service game.

Ah, really? Well, that... actually makes me more interested, since I don't need to worry about having to dedicate time to two live-service games.

Still, hopefully it can give DE some ideas.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tellakey said:

is there any plan to deviate, innovate and break new grounds, or is Warframe locked ad infinitum in a perpetual cycle of repackaged content and new coats of paint?

much of what DE planned was disrupted by the pandemic, but they are slowly making up for it: Corpus Railjack is in development, as are Corpus Liches, so these 2 systems will finally get some much needed attention. Arcana's launch hasn't gone well, granted, but these things usually get fixed over a few weeks and eventually Arcana will be much more playable. Duviri and New War are basically off the table for the forseeable future, but DE are making a sincere attempt to keep things running.

do I wish we had faster updates, less bugs, better balanced stuff etc? of course I do. but all anyone can do is try their best. Arcana needed longer in the oven but what's done is done, and we keep moving forward. those of us who can't will leave, those of us who can will stay. just as it's always been.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

much of what DE planned was disrupted by the pandemic, but they are slowly making up for it: Corpus Railjack is in development, as are Corpus Liches, so these 2 systems will finally get some much needed attention. Arcana's launch hasn't gone well, granted, but these things usually get fixed over a few weeks and eventually Arcana will be much more playable. Duviri and New War are basically off the table for the forseeable future, but DE are making a sincere attempt to keep things running.

do I wish we had faster updates, less bugs, better balanced stuff etc? of course I do. but all anyone can do is try their best. Arcana needed longer in the oven but what's done is done, and we keep moving forward. those of us who can't will leave, those of us who can will stay. just as it's always been.

I'd be willing to bet that the Corpus Lich update will for the most part just be a reskin and recycling of Railjack and Liches.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Ah, really? Well, that... actually makes me more interested, since I don't need to worry about having to dedicate time to two live-service games.

Still, hopefully it can give DE some ideas.

Yeah, some official person gave the answer in one or two threads on Steam. Though what they refer to as not being live service can depend on alot of thing. I mean, I and many others wouldnt consider Grim Dawn a live service game, yet it has recieved some fairly good updates that are free with extra content. But he did say that they werent going to be a live service game so they wouldnt have to worry about extra income after the release, which was an answer in a thread about if there was going to be any MTX. I'm pretty sure that their idea is to go "Borderlands" with a decent replay value and lots of expansions.

Bonus imo is that the game will have everything stored on their servers it seems since they'll have no offline mode, and it will have cross play or atleast cross save considering what they've said in threads on Steam.

9 minutes ago, Monolake said:

Go ahead and play bounties and isolation vaults and you'll see for yourself how much creativity and gameplay ideas DE has.

Ideas - sure, but execution? I recently tried to farm Revenant. They are unbalanced, in my opinion. Some stages are easy and other are much harder.
And Isolation vaults.... from what I heard it's you are required to finish previous Vaults before starting next in one missions.
Most of non-open world missions are much better balanced and they don't require previous runs "in one go".

• Like 2

I share this post 100%. +1

Also, I would like to add a problem: DE decided to add "open world", but what we have in the game is not actually an open world. Having a huge map for 4 players connected via p2p I don't think is what players asked for (and expected) from an open world in Warframe.

By the way, I also took 1 year off and reinstalled Warframe today. It seems to be short-lived on my SSD.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

@Tellakey and so, the thread gets derailed.

You have been here long enough to know that you do NOT ask this type of question in this Dead Sea. You only get salt in return and calls forth the horses, deers, cows and all manner of animals that come here for it and have the habit of kicking others to defend or attack.

You say this, but almost every response to this thread prior to yours was constructive and cordial, for the most part.

• Like 4

I think warframe IS a grindy game and will always be.

I mean what do we expect? Oscar winning stories like the last of us or god of war? Probably will never happen for obvious reasons.

There is exactly ONE grind game that imho has successfully added insane depth to its gameplay, which is by demanding skillful inputs on top of the regular equipments "modding" requirements, so even people with god equips still have to challenge and train themselves to find more efficient -more perfect methods on missions, which is Monster Hunter. Basically creating a never-ending cycle because perfection have no limits. Your equipments might be meta and maxed, but your thumbs can always move half second faster.

Other grind games mostly rely on one thing: grind hard to find rare stuff and get stronger, that's it. Veterans who've played the game for years will get bored. It's inevitable.

If people ask warframe to have less bugs and not relying on hotfixes every 3 days, then oh yes please. But if they ask warframe to change some fundamental mechanics and turn it into something else for the sake of adding depths, we all know too well that it probably will never happen.

A "new compelling mode" or whatever great idea the community have will do one thing: it will entertain us for another couple of hours. But it can't ungrind warframe. Warframe will always be that grindy game. Even with monster hunter's insane depths, retirement is still inevitable. When veterans couldn't find joy on the hunts anymore, we wish them well and write their names on hunter's valhalla.

I think warframe should have something like that as well. Instead of disgruntled veterans ragequitting the game because of piled up dissatisfaction, why not openly accept that people will get bored of warframe, and honor them as a tenno who once fought with us.

Edited by Soy77
  • Like 2

jim sterling summed it up quite nicely: "if they put out a roadmap, expect non of that to ever be finished." basically warframe right now is operating on the live service throwing and recycling content in order to get a short term boost of players, which not good for the longevity of any game. when they put out that roadmap the way they did, the basically just open the doors to crunch hell.

• Like 1
On 2020-11-24 at 2:45 AM, Tellakey said:

My love-hate relationship is killing me. DE are such a loveable bunch and their universe keeps me hooked but I just can't with their recent choices. Like, literally, ANOTHER open world gated behind daily grind? Didn't DE Steve, on one stream, profess an aversion to Warframe following the "open world of the year" formula?

Those are pretty much my exact thoughts as well. My biggest issue with DE and Warframe right now isn't with the individual mistakes they make, necessarily, so much as the fact that the developers don't seem to learn from those mistakes. Fortuna and the content drought it entailed should have been a surefire sign to DE that attempting more open worlds in their game wasn't a good idea, at least not without overhauling the formula. Even the developers seemed to have acknowledged this, and promised that they'd focus on more durable improvements to the game, which they did with the Jupiter and Corpus Ship updates, arguably the best in the game's recent history. However, after those steps forward, DE took one giant step back with another open world-style content island, padded with even more frustrating grind than the previous two. While the devs are clearly capable of producing fantastic content, there doesn't seem to be any consistent philosophy to Warframe's ongoing development, and so I cannot genuinely say whether the game is improving over time.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dangerdragon117 said:

jim sterling summed it up quite nicely: "if they put out a roadmap, expect non of that to ever be finished." basically warframe right now is operating on the live service throwing and recycling content in order to get a short term boost of players, which not good for the longevity of any game. when they put out that roadmap the way they did, the basically just open the doors to crunch hell.

A roadmap that mocked Anthem ironically enough. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, (PSN)DoctorWho_90250 said:

A roadmap that mocked Anthem ironically enough. 

And one players asked for since they were all the rage, at the time.

There's a reason they didn't do that in preceding years.

I kinda hope warframe dies one day so they can make warframe 2 and start fresh. DE is too scared of changing some of the core mechanics like mandatory mods, or things that makes challenge possible, because it could provide enough salt from the playerbase that it could fill an entire ocean.

The best advice i can give them from someone who adores Warframe is simply to stop pushing new systems on top of new systems and focus on whats currently in the game.

Have you ever tried helping new lads?, it's insanity and DE really need to settle down on it because gamers these days have less patience than ever lol.

On 2020-11-24 at 1:18 AM, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

If warframe had no open worlds, people would just say "Is the game an unenjoyable mess of relic captures and endless survivals for the foreseeable future?"

Those are the core game modes that i actually enjoyed grinding in, i would rather take good old fashion warframe over open worlds any day of the week

• Like 1
En 24/11/2020 a las 3:45, Tellakey dijo:

Hello, I came back from a year-long break from Warframe.

I love the universe, lore and fashionframe, but quiet due to the poor cycle of power creep and uncalculated spammy gameplay. Yesterday I gave it a whirl to see if time is indeed the best healer. It was not. After an hour of gameplay and marveling at all the new features (also Railjack is dead, who'd have seen it coming?) I alt+F4-ed from sheer boredom. 

My love-hate relationship is killing me. DE are such a loveable bunch and their universe keeps me hooked but I just can't with their recent choices. Like, literally, ANOTHER open world gated behind daily grind? Didn't DE Steve, on one stream, profess an aversion to Warframe following the "open world of the year" formula?

Forgive my rambling. I just need to know, based on the latest devstreams - is there any plan to deviate, innovate and break new grounds, or is Warframe locked ad infinitum in a perpetual cycle of repackaged content and new coats of paint?

The same that wow and other games