Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Eximus enemies should be retired

Grave.Knight

I'm totally fine with eximus being removed, they are just a cheap tactic for "difficulty" I trade any eximus for more diverse enemies, its not even hard, add mecha corpus aside from jackcals and moa and give grineer their steampunk like potato mech heavy units. Also infested new enemies included in nigthwave 2 does not spawn in regular starchart, why??

It would be great to have faction based mini bosses when doing endless runs(except for disruption) imagine being in a dark sector +20 min in and a group of Emissary cealoths appear trying to ambush you. Or in a corpus themed map some kind of cyberpunky heavy mecha or stylized moa/robot hunter trying to take down the teeno, or in a grineer tile-set a heavy armored unit wrecking havoc, that be more interesting than current difficulty according to DE, nullyfy warframe abilities or drain you of energy, not talking of the ridiculous one shots you get in high level content.

9 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Oh gotcha, you still wanna be able to one-shot stuff. Ok I'll have to go back to the drawing board to think of the perfect enemy that you 1. Wont get bored of, since bursa-type enemies will get stale quick but apparently no other enemy will, and 2. Doesn't limit the player in anyway at all, because it's not engaging, and 3. Has it's own moves, since apparently no other enemy does.

Good luck, mate, because with that sour grapes mentality, you'll continue going nowhere. Truly, I don't actually want to one-shot everything, I just think fixing our broken scaling would require a proper rework to the related systems that tie into our damage: trying to design specific enemies to be immune to our massive damage will just make them stick out like a sore thumb, while failing to address the problem for every other unit out there. If you keep trying to solve that systemic problem through individual units, your endeavor is doomed to failure. As for points 1, 2, and 3... you seem to think it is unreasonable to ask for a new enemy with its own moveset (you know, like any other distinct unit), that doesn't shut down player agency, and that doesn't just recycle the Bursa plating mechanic every time, which begs the question as to how much imagination one must lack to be unable to meet such a low bar of design, let alone consider those basic requirements too demanding.

Eximus are bad unit design and I don't see why people are defending them. They are just a normal enemy that glows with a copy-paste effect. In 2016 Eximus enemies were a fine enough addition given the resources of DE at the time. Elite enemy spawns are good but an enemy being stronger needs a better justification than "they glow". DE already has created a suite of elite enemies that could replace Eximus, and in my opinion swapping them in would do huge things for the moment-to-moment gameplay of the game.

The Proposal: Replace Eximus Spawns with Arena enemy spawns.

• Add "Ability Resistance" mechanics to these enemies.
    • Like the resistance Sentients just received to Limbo's Stasis (first cast is full duration, next cast is half duration, etcetera), not immunity to abilities.
  • Bonus points for giving these enemies the procedural Lich naming system for added uniqueness.

The Ramifications:

• More “difficulty” without breaking the power fantasy, basic fodder enemies still exist.
  • Things that will see an increase in usefulness by extension…
    • Crowd Control
    • Single target DPS (weapons and Warframes)
    • ‘Protection’ abilities
  • Which in turn lead to…
    • More meta-viable options
    • A reason for diverse team compositions
    • Less monotonous gameplay

Warframes are a power fantasy, they are gods of war that destroy all in their path. When DE talks about adding more difficulty through enemy reworks I can’t help but question why Lancer #5293 should be any threat to me. Fodder enemies should be fodder enemies, nothing more. A single basic unit shouldn’t threaten you at all, it should take a small army of fodder to take you down. If there are to be enemies that threaten a Warframe they should be gods compared to their fodder brethren as much as Warframes are gods compared to a Lancer. Named units with special abilities that leave an impact on the battlefield.

And that brings me to the proposal, replace Eximus with Arena enemies.

The Arena (Index and Rathuum) enemies already have all the important characteristics of an enemy that has a chance to threaten a Warframe. They have imposing figures, interesting abilities, are named, and they stand out from the crowd. Compare that to an Eximus that is just Lancer #5294 but is now glowing. Eximus were a great addition to 2014 Warframe, but the game has moved on, at this point they just don’t fit the quality standards DE has set for enemy design. Even go ahead and transfer some of the Eximus auras to the Arena enemies as an additional tier, just make sure that the added power fits the unit’s design. Nox and Bursas were a great first step in the direction of “mini boss” like enemies, but there really needs to be more enemy diversity in this front especially because these enemies will be the ones you see the longest before they dissolve at the end of your gun.

In the case of Railjack, [DE]Scott said something about us in general facing less enemies (which even on its own is a questionable statement) thus the need to increase enemy health. While I understand the intent, the justification seems off. A Lancer should never be a threat on their own. No common spawn basic enemy, including heavy variants, should pose a threat to a Warframe on their own. They should either need large numbers on their side or, back to the topic, a truly elite special unit. If DE wants smaller groups of more threatening enemies, they need to justify in game why those enemies are more threatening (with something more than a new coat of paint).  

Man, theres so many good threads lately calling for improvement of the "old content", I do hope theyll start reworking all the basics at some point it would make warframe so much better. Better eximus, more diverse and interesting gamemodes, more tileset pieces for old maps... would be glorious.

Tbh in steel path they should add a few disruptions targets in every map in addition to eximus.

They are "resistant" but not immune, and cancel power but not a permanent bubble. These mobs are a strong base for increased difficulties

Side note : parasitic eximus spam are an issue in infested missions.

9 hours ago, MonsterOfMyOwn said:

parasitic eximus spam are an issue in infested missions.

Yeah its really cheap way of adding difficulty, theres always at least one of them in some missions and the drain is really strong. Just kiils the fun more than anything. I don't mind some enemies taking energy ON HIT but passive energy leech keeping you at 0 at all times is just boring.

Archived