Suggestion: Modular rank on Mods (possibility to reduce capacity drain on maxed mods)

BadYgor

Hello DE, community,

a simple suggestion for a quality of life change. Right now, once certain mod is ranked up, there's no way to reduce it's capacity drain / rank. This creates a problem when trying to "fit in" certain mod into the weapon/warframe build, because "if it would need just one or two capacity points less..". Of course, I am aware of an option to obtain ANOTHER mod and rank it up to desired value. This is no problem with common and low max-rank mods. But when we take into account limited Primed mods, Corrupted mods or Umbral/Sacrificial mods, the task becomes very tedious, expensive (in endo and possibly in platinum) and doesn't feel like something a player should be "forced" to go through AGAIN.

I propose following solution: Once a mod is ranked up to maximum, make it possible to CHOOSE it's rank when slotting to a weapon/warframe.

Example: I have a melee weapon, which I would like to build for Heavy Attack. I do have Sacrificial Steel in my inventory, but it's already maxed-out and even with all other slots forma-ed, the free capacity for my last slot is 15. Let's say I don't usually have a spare Umbra forma just laying around in my inventory :) With this system, I could choose to "tone down" the Sacrificial Steel, so it would drain 15 capacity and provide +200% critical chance, (instead of maxed 220%).

Otherwise I want to thank you for all your work and heart put into the game, it is seen and appreciated :)

This is literally so niche for building, would only happen on less than... what? Approximately 12 mods? And all but three or four of those can be re-farmed within a few days or so? You even admit this yourself. Heck, with the upcoming Steel Path changes, you could have enough Umbral Forma for all of your niche builds later on.

Even then, this isn't something you're 'forced' to do. This isn't something you're even really 'encouraged' to do. That Heavy Attack build would perform just as well if, instead of Sacrificial Steel, you re-slot one of the Elemental mods with just 1 point from the top to have 85% of that damage instead of 90%, because elementals are typically 11 points, so 10 points on a polarised spot would cost 5 instead of 6.

There is a reason as to why DE don't do this, however. It changes the storage space for mods. Players pick up literally hundreds or thousands of mods per day. In the system they can literally just make a list of whether the player has the mod, how many at rank 0, 1, 2, and so on. It reduces the data. I could get into this more, but I have a more pressing question:

Have you thought about the actual consequences to having this? The functional down-side to that one thing you think of as an up-side?

Do you really interrogate all of your builds every time you use them? Because you could de-rank that mod for one weapon build, true, but maybe you want it fully ranked on 10 other weapons? Do you really want to be checking every single time that the mod is at full rank when you go over to those other weapons?

And what if you do go to those other weapons, say, and rank up your mod to the max again to get that build, doesn't that mean it'll be dropped out of the other weapon's build because it no longer fits? You've seen that when you rank up an old mod you previously had lower, a warning on the Foundry that says 'Warning, this will exceed the capacity of 'X Build', do you wish to remove it from 'X Build'?'

Do you honestly want to put this thing in and then have to remember every time that you have to either adjust it on, or put it back on, the weapons you want to take with you on the next run?

And if not, how do you want to deal with that? Should the data storage be expanded even further to ensure that Loadouts also retain that data? Because I don't know if you've noticed; unless you put something into a Loadout, if you just select it from the Arsenal, it defaults to things like Mod Config A and Appearance Config A using the the most recent state of the mods you had on it, including the fact that if you ranked up a mod higher than it could fit, the ones that don't fit will have been removed. That's one of the reasons DE limits Loadouts for players under MR30, because they already store all the customisation data that a standard 'Character Save' does on other games, so when you have millions of accounts, with dozens of Loadouts, that tends to build up, much like the Mod storage would if you could de-rank mods that you've ranked up.

If you want this, you would either run into more problems that would be just as awkward, or you would cause data storage on the servers to expand so much that DE would permanently limit all players to only about 10 copies of any given mod, which has further knock-on effects to what pickups you get in game, trades with other players, and even just basic Endo economy from converting junk mods.

What would your suggestion mean, all players would require 1 of each mod only. That then means probably 30% of rewards would be redundant because you don't need all that endo, DE's sales in forma would not be required because any build would fit. And worst mods could become super rare if drops were reduced because extras were not needed

Yes sounds good but reality is you have 1 to possibly 4 sets of a mod various size ranked in even numbers because that fits forma'd slots for maximum benefits. This gives us a reason to grind mod, endo, ayatan treasures, and DE a way to make money from forma (over the 365 free ones)

Spare mods are either traded for platinum, endo or credits.  

only the primed login mods are 1 offs and seeing as DE is adding login rewards to samaris offerings once you have them. These 4 maybe added as well in time!

5 hours ago, (PSN)camwyn-xenos said:

only the primed login mods are 1 offs

Sadly this is not true. All the amalgam mods from the Orb Vallis Fracture event are one time mods. I have already previously asked on the forums to either allow us to get dupes by running the event more or from Simaris. In my original post I included Sacrificial and Umbral mods as they used to not be renewable. These 5 mods are now with simaris, just waiting on the amalgams. I'll add those login mods to my suggestion/request. The weapons are with simaris, so why can't the mods be?

Thank you guys for your input.
I admit I did not consider the implication on the database load and surplus mod drops.

Just to address the point of mod rank affecting all loadouts - what I had in mind is selection of mod rank per particular weapon+config, independently from other weapons/configs. But I see now how much it would complicate things on DE side - storage wise and loot wise. And as much as I personally can imagine this system might work well, it would most probably require significant code change for a little benefit.

And I would definitely want to avoid ruining someone's ultimate goals :)

As a result, it would be nice if DE would at least add unlocked daily login rewards mods and amalgam mods to Simaris' shop.

Cheers!

20 hours ago, (PSN)camwyn-xenos said:

What would your suggestion mean, all players would require 1 of each mod only. That then means probably 30% of rewards would be redundant because you don't need all that endo, DE's sales in forma would not be required because any build would fit. And worst mods could become super rare if drops were reduced because extras were not needed

Which is the case right now in almost all instances. In fact, DE already made steps to reduce the need for duplicate mods by allowing Sentinel Weapons to use mods currently equipped on an active gun. I don't see the point in defending grind in this game. The OP's suggestion is pretty much entirely QoL, and I for one feel it far outweighs its perceived downsides. Most of the rewards we get these days are useless anyway. I don't see duplicate that changing for duplicate mods either way.

Archived