When was warframe good? Or Warframe: Beyond the light.

Hello forum. I've been playing Warframe for 4 months (27 mr, yes I'm braindead).

1.Recently began to notice a lot of people began to remember the good old days. And although I understand that nastalgia changes reality, but still. What in your opinion has changed over the years. The game is already 7+ years old. When was the heyday and why exactly did this happen?

2.Now why am I start playing and my expirience. I'm tired of Dota 2 and the toxic community and I love science fiction. So i tried warframe. Honestly, if it weren't for the random guy(now he is my friend), I wouldn't have lasted even a couple of days. Instead of the game itself, he explained all the mechanics to me. What does beyond the light have to do with it then.
The game is overblown. The threshold of entry for new players is unrealistic. Three open worlds with their own farms, 220 nodes, sanctuary, railjack, relics, 220 nodes again on the steel path (after all, it's so fun(sarcasm)), Kuva Lich, and that's not all. The game needs a reboot, discard bad ideas, improve good ones.Make the game challenging. DE needs a producer with a single vision.
I would like to enter the game, not only to put in the form in the craft and sometimes kill a couple of eidalons. I don't even want to farm new vaults, why do I need a new weapon if I have nothing to do with it. Hopefully after the pandemic, something will change. Anyway, I want to say thank you to DE for a thousand hours of frustration, fun, meeting new people around the world.

• Like 2
13 минут назад, TimeFack сказал:

What in your opinion has changed over the years.

emmm, nothing changed from a perspective of the gameplay. when this game hit open beta it was fun. i remember people in my clan arguing about what is better lato, aklato or bolto.

i think game has been done when some dudes hit 100 wave of xini for the first time and at this point it was clear what this game would represent. these 100 waves of Xini were the first artificial goal people achieved due to lack of content in the game. And now, almost 8 years later there is still no content worth engaging in the game, if player have it all or not.

i hit mr30 and i still have weapons to grind, necramech to rank up but i just don't do that... there is no point in doing that. like no point at all. the only piece of content i enjoyed were Tridolons, but even that is no longer bring joy. I also still like RJ, but after DE made it much more easier, it's no longer fun.

So yeah,,, i will wait for DP, maybe at this point DE would make something worth playing, but i doubt that. I would say WF outlived itselfs, and DE need to move on.

tl;dr

From a gameplay perspective this game has not changed over the years. which is sad. So wf in 7.0 is pretty much the same as wf 29.0

• Like 4

As far as I can tell from videos wf was in it's good days about the TWW update and maybe to the sacrifice(not only the quests, the community, lore, missions, etc).

26 minutes ago, TimeFack said:

I've been playing Warframe for 4 months (27 mr, yes I'm braindead).

Damn, dude...I can't imagine the useless fodder you got trough in such little time... Was it worth it, the countless hours in hydron/eso/adaro leveling trash?

• Like 1

it really depends on players. The reason i play RPG's is that as i progress i unlock new powers. this applies to most games and i love jrpg for that. warframe is different i started 4 years back, for me the cool looking abilities with various characters (thats what i considered frames to be) made me excited to try the game. that moment i had no clue what looter shooter genre was, so i enjoyed most grind and S#&$, everything was new and exciting to try. Now i'm almost a veteran, any new thing that gets added i just think of it in a way like "okay now how much time will it take grind this sh-t" and i believe most old players would think the same. 

the "fun" part now depends if you got good squad, solo doesn't create that fun part for me anymore, i just login, do new S#&$ - grind for mastery and go. some events are fun but that's about it. although i won't call the game boring or anything.

6 minutes ago, vegetosayajin said:

As far as I can tell from videos wf was in it's good days about the TWW update and maybe to the sacrifice(not only the quests, the community, lore, missions, etc).

Damn, dude...I can't imagine the useless fodder you got trough in such little time... Was it worth it, the countless hours in hydron/eso/adaro leveling trash?

when i joined back in 2016 i think max MR was around 21. and i was MR18 in 5-6 months. it's not hard, but just like him i use to play from morning to evening

• Like 1

The Arcana update wasn't good but for the most part I enjoy the game and have no desire to switch to something else.

Besides the new open worlds have their own catch up mechanics. Endo and Kuva can be farmed via bounties much easier than ever before. The worst part you as a player can do is think that you need to do everything at once. First you should slowly make your way through the starmap, do the quests along the way. I wouldn't bother with the open worlds too much yet.

• Like 3
vor einer Stunde schrieb TimeFack:

1.Recently began to notice a lot of people began to remember the good old days. And although I understand that nastalgia changes reality, but still. What in your opinion has changed over the years. The game is already 7+ years old. When was the heyday and why exactly did this happen?

I can't say when was Warframe good (because it was always good. It was just never great), but I can explain what I miss when I started 7 years ago.

Back then did waypoints and death meant something. There wasn't something like vacuum which picked everything up for you. It was easy to miss the one or other rare ressource therefore it was normal to make a waypoint when you found something rare. It was especially helpful on Assasination mission where it could happen that the pink-blue orb with the warframe part flew somewhere trough to room and you had to spent 5min only to find and collect the wrong bp.

The second part which I miss is the part where people revived each other and could die. Today it feels for me like that nobody cares anymore if someone is bleeding out. Many seems to think :"let him die, he has more than four revives left." When I started it was one of the most important things to revive the fallen teammates, because if someone died he was and will very likely stay dead. Nobody wanted to spent platinum for a new revive (except me one time) or use one of his only four daily revives for a mission he can easily repeat.

Even now I have the problem that when someone accidentally made a waypoint that I instinctive run to it severely times just to pick there something important up or try to revive my fallen crewmate.

I would never say that the changes were bad, but I would say that these changes make waypoints unimportant and the game easy.

• Like 3

For me it's still good, but I feel sorry for the people that push themselves to play something they don't enjoy anymore just to justify the time/money investment.

2 minutes ago, ES-Flinter said:

I can't say when was Warframe good (because it was always good. It was just never great), but I can explain what I miss when I started 7 years ago.

Back then did waypoints and death meant something. There wasn't something like vacuum which picked everything up for you. It was easy to miss the one or other rare ressource therefore it was normal to make a waypoint when you found something rare. It was especially helpful on Assasination mission where it could happen that the pink-blue orb with the warframe part flew somewhere trough to room and you had to spent 5min only to find and collect the wrong bp.

The second part which I miss is the part where people revived each other and could die. Today it feels for me like that nobody cares anymore if someone is bleeding out. Many seems to think :"let him die, he has more than four revives left." When I started it was one of the most important things to revive the fallen teammates, because if someone died he was and will very likely stay dead. Nobody wanted to spent platinum for a new revive (except me one time) or use one of his only four daily revives for a mission he can easily repeat.

Even now I have the problem that when someone accidentally made a waypoint that I instinctive run to it severely times just to pick there something important up or try to revive my fallen crewmate.

I would never say that the changes were bad, but I would say that these changes make waypoints unimportant and the game easy.

Riviving with plat was wrong, but you are right, I think only "vets" care about that stuff nowadays. I always try to revive someone if it's within 250m

Edited by vanaukas
  • Like 2

What you notice is what happens with every single game, the difference is there's no Warframe 2, Warframe 3 etc.

Just check out other games, with GTA 5 it's "San Andreas is miles better"

with fallout it's "the only true fallouts are 1 and 2, the rest is garbage" 

With elder scrolls it's "only Morrowind is a true ES game, the rest doesn't even come close" 

With thief it's "the one made in the early 1800's is the best" (I said 1800's because the first game looks horrible xD)

With Zelda it's "Oot and MM are the only TRUE Zelda's, the other games CANNOT touch the holiness that is OOT and MM"

With metal gear solid 5, it's "IT SUCKS! BOO KOJIMA! Metal gear developed in the 90's is way better and more enjoyable! PLEASE go back to the roots!"

What else..

With dragon age Inquisition it's "oh no, the new game SUCKS! the first one is the TRUE DA"

With assassin's Creed it's "ubisoft GTFO, assassin's Creed 1 is THE game, why DON'T YOU LISTEN TO US!1!1!1!!1!!"

Add to the games mentioned above the following: "devs bad" "devs lost vision" "devs don't play their own game" "devs ruined the franchise" "devs don't listen to the community" 

It's been like this for (me) 2 decades of active gaming on every console (except PS4 and the original Xbox, switch [I exclude next gen for now]) and even when I was on PC. 

And again, it's noticable here because there are no other parts of the game. As in Warframe 2 etc. that would normally split vets from newer players.

The "glory days" babbling from old coots is kinda getting tired at this point.. (I'm an old coot btw, been here 6 years with 5.1k mission playtime) 

I'm not perfect though, I'm still mad they removed the void system, because in my old eyes "sitting in a mission for 3 hours and NOT getting the part" is better than running 1 fissure capture and getting the part for some "nostalgic" reason.

That's humans basically.

Here's a joke I made in another thread that pretty muchs sums up the whole "when was Warframe good" situation:

IMG_20201125_110110.jpg

--

Edit before post: I'll add more games, I just woke up lmao 

--

Those aren't my words by the way, all games I listed I enjoyed playing.

Edited by (XBOX)TyeGoo
  • Like 8

I can see how game might look bloated for new player but removing content wount fix the issue and will only upset player base as older players get to enjoy old content while new player would know be locked out of it .

Spoiler

Sunseting was stupid idea from bungie as it doesnt fix the main issue , as well as removing content people paid for has made a lot of people my self included angry . 

What this game needs is QoL changes and older content revisists and reworks .

2 hours ago, vegetosayajin said:

I never said it is hard, it's just ... useless XD

True, but artificial goals like "gotta collect 'em all" are what keeps people coming back for more pain. That "level up" target is a psychological trick that's wired into all of us that is exploited by game designers. (and others, even things like Stackoverflow's reputation had badges and poitns to collect that kept people coming back for more)

I have some weapons I have levelled up without even using them - just stick a secondary, grind away, and oh look, its level 30, sell it. Its not the best part of the game at all, but its probably the most essential as far as DE is concerned.

• Like 1

The 'streamlining' or simplification of game mechanics was also one of the reason why I finally broke up with WoW. Instead of just exploring a world I felt constantly rushed.  Rushing to finish your artifact and your amulet put a lot of time to achieve something only to have it taken away by the end of expansion or in BfA even the next patch.

It also keeps me from even considering returning to Destiny 2, because the very thought of another item level treadmill makes me sick.

Edited by Prexades
  • Like 1

It has always been good, when you hear complaints about the game it is the standard nostalgic memories clouding the mind. Most of the complaints seem to come straight out of the "I remember the olden days: How to act as a senior 101". Because that is all there is, we all reminisce and recall the old as something better than it really was. We do it with everything, be it old movies or old game versions.

I can just take an example from yesterday. Class of 99 had been made available as download on a certain site many people surely know. I got excited, downloaded it and watched it, all I can say is that I was disappointed since it wasnt at all what I had in memory. And that has been the case with several movies I've rewatched in my "old" age. Cutthroat Island, another movie I fondly remembered from my youth, and another movie that wasnt nearly as good as I remembered.

I think the only thing I can reminisce and be satisfied with when I sit down with it again years later would be music. But even there you run into things you thought were awesome as a younger person, which are now just cheesy as hell *cough*MötleyCrueforinstance*cough*. While there are other instances where the music has just gotten better with age since you appriciate it on a different level, something that has been the case for me with Slayer aswell as a bunch black metal bands.

For games though, I've had few cases where old has actually been better when I've played it again, or been able to access older updates. I mostly go "What the heck was I thinking?".

And for WF I think the addition of Steel Path, most notably with the latest change, they really connected the game that was otherwise scattered. Or I should say most of the game, since SP still needs to be added to arbis, relic runs and so on aswell as RJ.

There sure are things that could be done better, but as I see it, the game only improves, except when they add even more currency (which goes for all games imo).

edit: And we can just look at Deimos if we wanna find something that has gotten better with more iterations, which is the open worlds in general. PoE started out so-so, Valis improved it somewhat, while Deimos did all the things right (except for possible the latest Vault bounty setup). It made gathering less of a chore, you can get nearly everything from just doing bounties, killing and smashing things. You dont need to dedicate time to neither fishing, hunting or mining for most things since they all drop from breakable objects, vaults, bounties or monolith clears. And hunting can be done on the fly with no need for lures etc. All that is a massive improvement and hopefully something they'll implement in the other open zones aswell.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 5

For me it's always been good. Warframe today is practically the same grind it was 5+years ago, just with a lot MORE to do. It's better than it's ever been, simply because it's the same game but MORE. 

Most complaints are people expecting Warframe to become something that THEY want. 

Liches? It's just a boss grind for weapons. It's classic Warframe gameplay on higher level nodes to eventually fight a boss and take it's weapon. I'm still baffled that the community didn't think that was absolutely awesome. I don't get the whining about the grind either because it barely takes two days to complete. 

Open worlds? Practically just wide open maps. 

Railjack? AW combined with mini corridor gameplay. We fly to a hallway now.... Again, how is that not awesome? I enjoy it when I play it. 

Everything is practically classic Warframe gameplay remixed in some way. 

It's always a game I fall back to because I know exactly what to expect, flaws and all. 

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 6

If I ignore the many bugs the game is better now than it was back when the Second Dream came out.

There's bunch of crap to play with and the gameplay is still really good.

But I might enjoy the game more because I'm not dead set on "endgame" and "challenge" all the god damn time. In fact I don't give a #*!% about either of them.

Edited by JackHargreav
  • Like 4
vor 12 Minuten schrieb JackHargreav:

If I ignore the many bugs the game is better now than it was back when the Second Dream came out.

There's bunch of crap to ppay with and the gameplay is still really good.

But I might enjoy the game more because I'm not dead set on "endgame" and "challenge" all the god damn time. In fact I don't give a #*!% about either of them.

Same.. and I guess that's why we can enjoy things .. 

Gotta be honest, I started playing january 2015 and I had the luck of catching the biggest updates (TSD, TWW, PoE, TS, fortuna, railjack, deimos) with a bunch of reworks inbetween.

While I look fondly at my memories of when I started playing warframe, I just have to disagree with you. Warframe is in a much better spot now. The population is much higher (and steadier), the updates are getting more and more expansive:

-> Open worlds gave a new life to warframe, in my opinion it even made the game much more immersive.

-> The story is a bit dispersed between the entire game but what is there from the story I love.

-> The gameplay keeps getting better and better (The parkour rework was the best thing there ever was; The melee rework was amazing too and made me a long time gun player shift my focus to melee entirely)

-> The new warframes that have been added are getting more and more interesting (plus they allow for more diversity and choice in warframe "maining")

Overall the game is in a much better shape than it was 5 years ago (and even better than it was 7 years ago when it got released). 

And about the fact you don't want to do anything ingame. That's called burnout. Give warframe a break and you'll eventually want to come back and replay all those missions you now claim you just can't be bothered with.

• Like 2

For me the game rises and falls depending on the last few updates. Both deimos and deimos arcana have been massive disappointments for me for various reasons so to me the game doesnt feel good to play right now (which is why I rarely open it recently). Steel Path was not all that exciting and while deadlock's quest was nice, the tileset rework had a few glaring issues (new supra enemy, the defense map and other needlessly big convoluted rooms, getting stuck on all stairs as gauss/nezha).

Realistically I ran out of things I want to do months ago but that in itself is not the issue. A new update doesnt have to capture me for months on end. It shouldnt be about the amount of time I spend, but how much fun I have in the time I end up spending. If an update is fun but short, I will have a good time and look forward to the next one but if it isnt fun and also very grindy then I am not exactly looking forward to the next update either.

I think anyone who says Warframe isn't the best it has ever been has a bad case of rose-tinted glasses. Warframe has never been perfect. Nearly every complaint today was made five years ago. Over those five years the game has gotten better, either through rework or new content, and the few times an update has been bad the negatives have been irrelevant on a grand scale or reverted. If your definition of Warframe "going downhill" is an update that you did not like, take a step back and ask yourself if that update made Warframe worse as a whole. If your peak for Warframe was TSD then I ask, why is TSD any worse today than it was all those years ago?

Our enjoyment of the game may go up and down, but that is due to our tolerance for Warframe's long standing issues waxing and fading. The golden age for Warframe is relative to when you played it, when you were done with the initial progression and saw the mountains of content before you, but before you realized all of the faults in said content. When Warframe was "good" is relative to the person because it depends on how much of the game you have (and haven't) seen.

I think it is important that we all keep this in mind. Our criticisms are not lesser because of it, but the context of "Warframe is better than it was" should be taken into account (especially when doom-saying after the latest update). Warframe is a good, yet (very) flawed game.

• Like 3

I played this game since close to the very beginning, so I passed almost all the Warframe "ages".

What I can tell is that the core of the game never changed. Sure, a lot of content and missions were added but in the end we were gods among minions and we still are, just on different tiers. 

For me the very problem of warframe is this. No matter how many new fancy missions, enemies, features and mechanics they will add, we will always be too strong to give them an actual sense so DE needs to create different systems in order to recreate some sort of balance. 

Operator, Railjack, Isolated new open areas, Necramechs, Bossfights or Events resulting more in Puzzles and arcade sessions more than fighting something and so on are just a way to deal with this.

For me, that in some way could even work, but they fail to commit to every attempt, they just launch, support it for few months and go for the next one. 

• Like 2