Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Choice, Reward Aside.

Valentine_Grim

No jokes or pleas here, just thinking out loud.

I’ve been having some thoughts on this “choose your side” thing, and the more I think the less I’m sure of anything. I’m not talking about reward or winning odds here, and I’ll try to set game mechanics aside as much as possible right now. What really keeps me bothered is the actual “gradivus dilemma”. Up until now, all Tenno operations were quite straightforward – achieve your goal and get the boon, fail and face the consequences. Any third party was out of the equation. But now… I’m not sure if that is what DE meant as “lore through the events”, but it definitely is something thought provoking – there is no absolutely right answer to “which side is better” (once again, all material stuff out of the table), not even “do what your heart tells you to”. There is just no right thing to do. No masseffectian “please everyone” button.

I’m trying to look at it not from perspective of a player, but from role-playing, lore-emerging perspective of an actual Tenno, facing aforementioned choice. Both, the Grineer Empire and Corpus are my enemies. Not that I wouldn’t exploit their occasional “gestures”, given the chance, but by the end of the day we are at each other’s throats. And now they are at war. Not on the global scale (Twin Queens vs board of directors), but it’s still planet-size (more than we, contemporary humans, could ever pull off). The first “right” thing that comes to mind – let them have it. Let them bleed each other out and then sabotage the victor, preserving balance. But the root of the problem – third side. There is no “nah, I can live through this in any turn of events” this time, as it is not about me anymore. There is no sitting idly, watching how things would turn out. It’s not a choice “do I want the boon or not”, it’s “who do I help at expense of the other”. Namely – a group of defenseless Tenno or the whole colonial population of Mars. And that’s where it gets perpetually difficult.

Down to basics it is: tip the scales in favor of Grineer and you save your kin, but Mars gets crushed under TQ's heel; do the opposite and colonists escape slavery, but a group (not one, not two…) of Tenno dies in agony, dissected, prodded and torn apart limb after limb in cold Corpus labs. Not the choice you can make lightly if you think about it. Factors are numerous:

1) Size. How can you compare just a bunch of individuals to the population of the whole planet? Support Corpus!

2) Allegiance. How can you leave your own people behind? They are YOUR faction, YOUR side of the barricade. Not temporary, not in certain circumstances, AT ALL TIMES. They are the closest thing you have to home and family in this dark, cold space. Go with Grineer!

3) Doctrine. Settlers didn’t choose to be in this conflict, Tenno did. Even before they went to cryosleep, they took arms and opposed oppressive regime. When you side with Corpus, your choice is SACRIFICE, not BETRAYAL. They signed for it. They knew the worst could happen. Leave them to Corpus and fight the real threat.

4) Survivability. Sure, living under Grineer rule doesn’t sound like a dream come true, but the colonists would actually LIVE, Grineer won’t eat them. But Tenno would die, cut open like frogs. Agony will be the first and the last thing they will feel, still regaining consciousness, confused and disoriented. Let Grineer have their way; saving those who are in immediate danger should be number one priority.

5) Esoterics. Wouldn’t abandoning those, who are still free of Grineer grip, be against your true cause? Tenno oppose major factions, because no one else can, no one else has the ability, or downright care, to protect colonists from enslavement. So, wouldn’t leaving them to the tyrants, just to secure some more “protectors”, strip you of your purpose? What is the point of warrior caste, if it only cares for maintaining itself? If so, they may as well be the fourth “bad” faction. Then, Corpus that is…

6) Impact. When Grineer come for their prize, there bound to be casualties. And after that, too. In mines, on digging sites, in “accidents”, during uprisings, people will be dying. And those who didn’t will live a nightmare. But would saving them change much? How much difference in the major struggle would colonists of one planet make? We save them, and our numbers dwindle, but Corpus gets Zanuka and we shouldn’t fool ourselves, thinking that they would only use it on Grineer and Infested, cause we’re all chummy-chummy now. But bailing those few Tenno out would mean setbacks on Zanuka and more hands on deck. And those hands can be used to push Grineer back or at least give them some headache. Once more – Grineer is in “favor”.

Even Lotus, our coordinator, refuses to take sides, cause Tenno, as an order, has no place in this fight. Or, to be more correct, there is no side we all can take in good conscience. Turn our backs on our own or turn our backs on our purpose? And what is our purpose? And who we call “our own”? Should we protect all those who can’t do it themselves or just those who we call brethren? Should we consider every Tenno our kin or just those of our clan? Should we fight “for” or should we fight “against”? These are the questions every Tenno has to answer for his own, before taking side. For me, the choice wasn’t simple, as I’m heavily into roleplay, when it comes to anything worthwhile. And measuring all the factors wasn’t easy at all. In the end, I go with Grineer and my reasoning is long and overly complex and has nothing to do with the reward (well, I’ll go the safe 50\51 way anyhow). If there was a choice to forfeit my reward in exchange for better tomorrow for everyone, I’d probably go that way. The game is more than it’s mechanics. For the first time, Warframe has something heavily impacted by lore, and lore of this game (sadly, almost nonexistent) is what I dig the most. I don’t care for a pistol or a stick. I don’t care if “my” side wins or not. I don’t care if the whole event is “complete 100 exterminates on the same map”. The premise of this event made me bother and rack my brains about it, and that is what I care for. I think it is a first, unfirm, but wide step in direction I admire. It’s kind of strange, cause most of the event is on paper on the forums, but somehow, this time “less said” is “more said”. I’m probably looking too much into it, but it is because it MADE ME TO. And I love it for that! I hope there will be more of this kind of events, where you don’t do what you are told to, until you’re done, but have to think about what would you actually want out of this and at what price.

P.S. Reward-wise, I only care for Machete. It looks savage. Everything else can burn… Luv.

Edited by Valentine_Grim

Nice try but it's all about the rewards since there is NO Lore.. just some small scribbles explaining why this event happens.. that's it.

Choice:

If you don't want to fight still (after many threads for nerfing them) overpowered heavy units like the Napalm or the lately insanely buffed Flamer.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you want better rewards.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you want more players to play with.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you wan't to be on the winning side when the Event ends.. stay Grineer. Otherwise you lose... as Corpus... and of course don't get any Corpus weapons because the reward system is just brilliant.

Choice.. that's what's this Event is all about.

Edited by Namacyst

Nice try but it's all about the rewards since there is NO Lore.. just some small scribbles explaining why this event happens.. that's it.

Choice:

If you don't want to fight still (after many threads for nerfing them) overpowered heavy units like the Napalm or the lately insanely buffed Flamer.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you want better rewards.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you want more players to play with.. go Grineer. Otherwise Corpus.

If you wan't to be on the winning side when the Event ends.. stay Grineer. Otherwise you lose... as Corpus... and of course don't get any Corpus weapons because the reward system is just brilliant.

Choice.. that's what's this Event is all about.

You just completely ignored the whole point of this thread. It's about what you think is morally right, rewards put on the side...

I liked the rewards for corpus more. I needed faster ways to earn credits and I liked their hand cannon more. Why did I go Grineer then? To save my fellow Tenno. There are people out their with morals but people complain even though some people like the other side of rewards better but, can't get them because of the side they chose. Deal with it. This is should not be something where we all get what we want. I didn't need any of those materials that the grineer gave out because I already have too much of them. Guess what I don't have enough of? Credits. How many credits did the Grineer give out? 150k. I was so ecstatic about that because I have been leveling up all my new mods. Now all of those credits are gone. Great! Lesson here is don't complain about rewards on either side. The Corpus don't have control over many worlds and what littler materials they get they want to keep unlike the Grineer. So what the corpus can give is credits. That is part of their lore. Also more lore will come from this event which is great. We need lore like this. There will be future wars and we will have to choose sides again. I want to save my brothers and sisters more than I want to earn more credits or get certain items.

It's about what you think is morally right, rewards put on the side...

I'm in favor of assisting the Grineer. 

There's one point that I feel many people are missing. Once we save our buddies from the Corpus labs, we can do whatever we want. We could very well up and start wiping out the Grineer just as we have been doing for a year now. And we have been doing very, very well. One Tenno can take out an entire base on their own. If we so choose, we could go and help the colonists that are supposedly in danger. This "war" is a 7 day rescue mission. The real war doesn't end in six days.

Edited by Owlkin

Some of you are so enveloped in the game, its rather sad. STOP ACTING LIKE YOU ARE A TENNO, wake up and realize it's just a game. Who even cares about the moral fiber of Warframe? That's like trying to assign morals to Grand Theft Auto. 

You can say I ignored what you wrote, but that's because 99% of people will or already did. People are going grineer for the rewards. They could care less what happens in the end. Why? Because Warframe is a game. A dying game at that. If this is what Warframe considers 'Lore' they are sadly mistaken.

Stop trying to think about it so much. Who cares? Why would you side with either of the tenno's enemies anyways?? If you ask me, a true tenno would kill Alad V, go get the f_cking tenno he found, and return to killing both factions. Who cares if grineer and corpus want to fight? Let them kill themselves. Then take out the remaining one. 

Edited by KingKeif

Great Job OP, I went over a few of these prior to picking a side originally (before they unveiled what we'd be getting as incentive) I ended up deciding that the lives of Tenno were more important to me than the freedom of the colonist. But I was also considering how much damage a single Tenno can do. With more back-up I assumed it wouldn't be too difficult for us to turn around and liberate the colonists.

Some of you are so enveloped in the game, its rather sad. STOP ACTING LIKE YOU ARE A TENNO, wake up and realize it's just a game. Who even cares about the moral fiber of Warframe? That's like trying to assign morals to Grand Theft Auto. 

You can say I ignored what you wrote, but that's because 75% of people will or already did. People are going grineer for the rewards. They could care less what happens in the end. Why? Because Warframe is a game. A dying game at that. If this is what Warframe considers 'Lore' they are sadly mistaken.

Stop trying to think about it so much. Who cares? Why would you side with either of the warframe's enemies? If you ask me, a real warframe group would kill Alad V, go get the f_cking tenno he found, and return to killing both factions. Who cares if grineer and corpus want to fight? Let them kill themselves. Then take out the remaining one. 

If you had no intention of reading through and attempting to understand what OP was talking about, why even bother posting?

If my TL;DR post got deleted before, this should to. Its irrelevant to the topic and insulting. 

49LBkHH.png

Total: 86,420

gaifsGS.png

Total: 25,840

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

"The enemy of mine enemy is my friend...."

Arguably, the "moral choice" given the moral imperative of the Tenno within the game lore could be to aid both sides equally (preserving the balance) - since both sides are equally your friend qua enemy of your enemy. 

But of course, the choice to help at all is strongly incentivized, which sucks, because REALLY, it is very morally unpallatable to me to side with either side.

The Grineer are basically interplanetary Nazis, bent on genocidal, nay, speciesidal aims.

The Corpus are cut-throat profiteering capitalists on crack. Think drug cartels and arms dealers.

I don't particularly like having to side with the moral equivalent of either the Nazis or a drug cartel/blood diamond mining operation (I could chose my (in-game) scruples over the rewards, but - come on). I guess I would have to chose the profiteers, the corpus being the lesser of the two evils.

So I especially don't like that the fact that the space 3rd Recih seems to be winning is incentivizing my switching over and recently lending my support to the Grineer.

Which leads me to my last concern: in the livestream, they said that the goal of the event is to commit to a side. But really, unless you care about a clan statue (which i don't particularly), the only incentive I see here is to go with the "moral choice" I menioned at the outset of this post: support both sides equally (50 missions one side, 50 the other) and wait until the outcome of the event is totally clear (perhaps it is yet too soon to call Grineer - I expect that DE will start giving better mission rewards for Corpus if they continue to get thus pillaged) and then lend the final +1 of your 50+1 to the victorious bent faction, thus assuring that you get the pre-weapon slotted catalyzed hand-cannon instead of just the BP....

And personally, for what it's worth, I think I prefer the machete (which is just a buffed skin) but I vastly prefer the Corpus hand cannon - which is the reward that I most care about. But I would ditch for the Grineer Brakk in a second if it became obvious that the Grineer would win. 

Edited by Toe_ma

You just completely ignored the whole point of this thread. It's about what you think is morally right, rewards put on the side...

There is no "rewards on the side". Rewards are the only reason the Grineer have a landslide advantage against the Corpus. If Alad had put all the shiniest of shinies on the table at first blood, Grineer wouldn't have stood a chance. No one is even taking into account the end of event rewards, because the here and now has more precedent. The Grineer started strongest and people chose to stick with them than to offer anything to the Corpus except where the rewards were better. The only reason anyone made their choices were the toys that came with those choices.

Any moral dilemma is irrelevant anyways, as the story results would overshadow them. But even then the reward still overpowers those results, because the most interesting of post victory story options; the Corpus winning and expanding their enemy base with new Corpus-Tenno hybrid 'bots, with the potential for stealing that technology to make more Tenno-Corpus hybrid suits like the upcoming Berserker frame; was shot down with nothing of interest except for "here thar be Grineer" being Mars' new tagline on the star chart for the Grineer victory. All because of the reward system.

Maybe if the Grineer would actually do something of bloody interest with their lives except to crush everything that isn't a Grineer, the outcome of their victory wouldn't be so boring -_-

There is no "rewards on the side". Rewards are the only reason the Grineer have a landslide advantage against the Corpus. If Alad had put all the shiniest of shinies on the table at first blood, Grineer wouldn't have stood a chance. No one is even taking into account the end of event rewards, because the here and now has more precedent. The Grineer started strongest and people chose to stick with them than to offer anything to the Corpus except where the rewards were better. The only reason anyone made their choices were the toys that came with those choices.

Any moral dilemma is irrelevant anyways, as the story results would overshadow them. But even then the reward still overpowers those results, because the most interesting of post victory story options; the Corpus winning and expanding their enemy base with new Corpus-Tenno hybrid 'bots, with the potential for stealing that technology to make more Tenno-Corpus hybrid suits like the upcoming Berserker frame; was shot down with nothing of interest except for "here thar be Grineer" being Mars' new tagline on the star chart for the Grineer victory. All because of the reward system.

Maybe if the Grineer would actually do something of bloody interest with their lives except to crush everything that isn't a Grineer, the outcome of their victory wouldn't be so boring -_-

Don't lie to yourself. Big clans didn't wait to see the first battle payment to finally decide which side to support. Alad V lost because he lacked the support Ruk (the grineer) are getting with or without nice shiny battle payment. Enough with these excuses.

On the Moon Clan tier alone, the Grineer are winning with a 60,580 point lead (this is only counting the top 16 on both sides).

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

I agree

The fact that many of us put so much ethical deliberation into what could sensibly be dismissed with the whole "chill out: you are taking this way too seriously - it's only a game" argument (like the following one, written while I was writing my last post) -

You can say I ignored what you wrote, but that's because 99% of people will or already did. People are going grineer for the rewards. They could care less what happens in the end. Why? Because Warframe is a game. A dying game at that. If this is what Warframe considers 'Lore' they are sadly mistaken.

Stop trying to think about it so much. Who cares? Why would you side with either of the tenno's enemies anyways?? If you ask me, a true tenno would kill Alad V, go get the f_cking tenno he found, and return to killing both factions. Who cares if grineer and corpus want to fight? Let them kill themselves. Then take out the remaining one. 

- and the fact that many of us are willing to brave this sort of berating - shows how much we LOOOOVE Warframe, Digital Extremes, and this very much appreciated, well thought out event. It is totally making my weekend.

So DE: Please take this criticism as constructive criticism: I wish that the incentives were tweaked a bit. In light of my moral sensibilities, I would have liked having an option to participate in the event BUT oppose both factions, which would give you NONE of the mission rewards (credits, catalysts, forma bp, etc), but would (if you completed 100 contested missions in which you, like stalker, exterminated all the corpus and the grineer on the contested nodes on mars) get both the buffed machette and prova AND both Lotus reverse-engineered BPs for both hand cannons. Such a choice  would have been insanely more difficult and long (the exterminate missions would be twice as big and you'd have to be loaded out to fight grineer and corpus, not just one or the other) but I would have probably chosen that.

My second suggestion (for future events) is that loyalty to one faction could be better assured by tweaking the rewards just a bit. In this case, I think  siding with Corpus should give you the corpus hand canon if corpus win, but we should still get  corpus hand canon bp if corpus lose (instead of the Grineer Brakk BP. And vice versa for grineer. That alone would have inspired much more loyalty on my part to the corpus - and all the attending moral uneasiness of having chosen one evil faction to support at all.

Assuming rough parity of the mission rewards, I would have supported Corpus win or lose to ensure that I got that aweome corpus pistol in my grubby hands. Ironically, I sleep better at night now, knowing that I am playing both evil sides off of each other, since I have very little control as an individual on whether I will get the Corpus or the Grineer hand canon in said grubby hands, but a great deal of control as to whether that hand canon will come intact with a weapon slot and orokin catalyzed or just in BP form.... 

So DE: Please take this criticism as constructive criticism: I wish that the incentives were tweaked a bit. In light of my moral sensibilities, I would have liked having an option to participate in the event BUT oppose both factions, which would give you NONE of the mission rewards (credits, catalysts, forma bp, etc), but would (if you completed 100 contested missions in which you, like stalker, exterminated all the corpus and the grineer on the contested nodes on mars) get both the buffed machette and prova AND both Lotus reverse-engineered BPs for both hand cannons. Such a choice  would have been insanely more difficult and long (the exterminate missions would be twice as big and you'd have to be loaded out to fight grineer and corpus, not just one or the other) but I would have probably chosen that.

I disagree with this bit. That would make the choice for greed driven players even easier. Choice Side A) Get Machete and Brakk, Side B) Get Prove and Detron Side C) Get Machete, Prova, Brakk, and Detron. But the Brakk and Detron don't come pre-built with a slot and potato.

Ignoring Lore I'd chose side C in a heartbeat.

I'll just repost what I had said else where.

I'm a little torn on this not personally.. I like some of the grineer tech. So from a personal standpoint I want to side with grineer, however the character I play in game isn't so simple. Tenno are where he stands by and what helps them. The Corpus already to unspeakable things to the tenno they capture and now they have a cache of them they want to abuse. However by helping the grineer and defending these few the Corpus fall under Grineer rule in some part which may help the grineer in their hunt not only of tenno(The cryopods in this instance being payment for saving them from  getting a kung-fu robot can of whoop a--ahem..) but also in acquiring what may just be the technology they need to help stop their genetic deterioration.

Side with the grineer and save fellow tenno, or side with the corpus to prevent the grineer not only from ruling more of the galaxies, but also from possibly halting their deterioration thus strengthening them even more so. It's something that's put me as a player in a hard spot as to who I should side with and as a character, Llokii turned to his roots and took in the most basic understanding of the Tenno as they are today.

"The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth. Preserved in cryo pods for centuries, the Tenno now awaken to a new war, fighting and resisting warring factions as the sole bearers of the Orokin-created Warframes.  While the memories of the Tenno have faded over time, their mastery of guns, blades, and Warframe exo-armor has not.
Fragments of history suggest that discipline and chivalry are the cornerstone values of the Tenno: is this true today? The Tenno are emerging into a world unfamiliar to them. One sees a noble warrior, building his strength against an oppressive regime. Another sees an opportunistic mercenary, exploiting the Warframe's superiority for wealth. Regardless of their future, the Tenno stand united against a common foe, loyal only to each other."

"Both may be enemies... but I cannot betray my fellow Tenno in the name of profit... This war was not meant to be easy, it was meant to be won. And I'll win it with my fellow Tenno at My side." - Tenno Alias: Llokii7

Additionally, I as a player let some things bleed into my character. I take the term "Home" a bit deeply. It's less of a mercenary group or military unit of heros. I consider each Tenno awake and asleep as family to my character and that helps influence that I won't leave family behind.

Edited by Llokii7

Don't lie to yourself. Big clans didn't wait to see the first battle payment to finally decide which side to support. Alad V lost because he lacked the support Ruk (the grineer) are getting with or without nice shiny battle payment. Enough with these excuses.

So there's no clan swag in this event is what you're telling me? Please...

Plus what sort of a division was the clan gap before the first node hit? No one knows. Things could have been completely 50/50 between the clans until those individual players still on the fence decided to jump to the side with the better shiny things.

The clan argument is based in a mythical representation of the player base on a whole. They do not make up the whole of the event. But if you really think that the Corpus won Martialis for any reason BUT battle pay, you're the one lying to yourself.

So there's no clan swag in this event is what you're telling me? Please...

Plus what sort of a division was the clan gap before the first node hit? No one knows. Things could have been completely 50/50 between the clans until those individual players still on the fence decided to jump to the side with the better shiny things.

The clan argument is based in a mythical representation of the player base on a whole. They do not make up the whole of the event. But if you really think that the Corpus won Martialis for any reason BUT battle pay, you're the one lying to yourself.

Big clans don't flip flop. Do you know how hard it is to get the message "Hey guys, we're running Grineer now" out to just 200 members? Groups with 1000+ members would have even more trouble. You come to a decision as a clan and stick by it. And that Clan swag (all but guaranteed with any event) is what motivates big clans to choose a side and stick to it. This coupled with the first thing I said make it highly unlikely that the first battle payment had anything to do with the general outcome of this event. As for Marti, I chalk that one up to a overwhelming decision in Corpus' favor on the part of those not in clans or those who are 'mercenaries'. As I have said, if all those not vying for top of the leaderboards and all those not in clans swapped to the Corpus, the Corpus would probably win.

It doesn't matter if it's irrelevant lol... This is why it's all theoretical. It's fun to theory craft and place yourself within any sort of fictional universe you so desire, especially Warframe. :3

If you had no intention of reading through and attempting to understand what OP was talking about, why even bother posting?

If my TL;DR post got deleted before, this should to. Its irrelevant to the topic and insulting. 

I did read it. Most people wont. I replied exactly to what he was talking about telling him to get over himself and live in reality. Truth hurts.

I'm sorta ok with this concept of picking sides so long as they give us the option to pick the side of the Tenno.

Ruk and Alad are both equally welcome to my ammo, melee and skills as are all grineer and corpus.

Helping either side is foolish when we should be focused on crushing both.

Like I responded to one community moderator when he implied that the Corpus is the loyalty option.

I answered:

No, it is a paradox. Our goal is loyalty, but loyalty to who. By assisting the Corpus we help Corpus to kill us and thus we are not loyal to our kind, but it is for a greater good which is loyal to our cause. Neither of these is wrong or right, they are both at the same time, only the different sides of the same coin.

EDIT: By the way, nice topics. I thought the same way too and I ended up with the same solution. To side with the Grineer, not because of the rewards, the fact that it is winning as at the time it was equal, nor because of the rewards. There are just so much more to it and Grineer side follow more of my ideals even though my heart is broken because of the innocent suffering by my actions. This is something that made me question my motives for a quite a bit but then I realized that what was to me, the right thing to do, which was siding with the Grineer.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

Choice in terms of Rewards: Grineer for Machete, will use one of my two catalysts on the Detron.

Choice in terms of Lore: Join Corpus, convince them to give me a cavalry of their strongest proxies (Jackal, Hyenas, Raptors), wipe Grineer off the face of Mars, turn on Corpus having lured them into a false sense of security, laugh all the way to the bank since I'm now the Tenno king of Mars.