Jump to content

IRL Mastery Slates


arborealkey

Recommended Posts

Hello ! I made some resin Mastery Slates (see below). You can scroll down to see how I did it.

squuaree.jpg

masteryslate-1.jpg

 

A few weeks ago, I made two foam Mastery Slates.

Révélation

Eo-Kn-ZOp-XEAEGy-XB-1.jpg

I got messages from a few people who wanted one after posting the prototypes online. I asked for permission to sell unofficial Mastery Slates, and got it! I then spent the next weeks working on resin versions.

 

Warning: this is only a glimpse of what actually happened. The process was longer, and more complicated than that, as I am not showing all the -failed- experiments.

I started by modelling the emblem in Fusion 360.

3dmodel-MR30.png

I then printed it in PLA. I had to smooth it before using it to make a mould.

print-mr30.jpg

For the stone part, I kept foam as a primary material. After sanding the edges, I added texture by pressing an actual stone against the warm foam to leave an imprint.

slate-foampart.jpg

I covered it in white glue to get rid of the porous foam aspect, and poured silicone all over it. Here is what the inside of the mould looks like.

mould-mr30-stone.jpg

My first resin cast of the stone slab looked like this.

first-cast-stone.jpg

I then experimented with black pigments so the stone would have a dark colour straight out of the mould, and I would only be left with dry-brushing and varnishing. Here is the colour evolution.

colourevolutio.jpg

I followed the same process for the emblem, with imitation gold pigments instead of black. Here is one straight out of the mould, before being trimmed.

emblem-untrimmed.jpg

Flower Prime!

flowerprime.jpg

Here are the Mastery Slates, ready to be assembled.

masterybeforeassem.jpg

They got wrapped.

umbrapackage.jpg

And the very first batch was ready to leave!

packing-mr30.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Il y a 3 heures, Your_Very_Best_Friend a dit :

I saw this on your insta! Super excited to watch your progress!

Welcome back, then !

Il y a 2 heures, roromado13 a dit :

Wow this looks great 😊 I'm looking forward to finding out your next creations. 

Thanks !

 

Little update on the model, I'm almost done.

IMG-20201126-233843.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Le 03/12/2020 à 10:24, Nine a dit :

These are lovely, also; mastery rank coaster set and plaques. 

Thank you ! That could work, they would just have to be flat.


I asked for permission to sell a few of these, and got it (as long as I'm not pretending to offer official merch). As a consequence, I'm currently working on creating a cleaner, sleeker, shinier version of the MR30 slate, that will be cast out of resin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2020-11-28 at 12:18 PM, arborealkey said:

I made a MR30 slate, I still have to paint it...

IMG-2ko8eg-compress34.jpg

 

On 2020-11-29 at 12:53 PM, arborealkey said:

MR30 mini mastery slate. That's just a quick foam build, I'll probably make a cleaner one later.

IMG-20201129-184452-381.jpg

 

On 2020-12-01 at 1:59 PM, arborealkey said:

2 down, 28 to go !

Eo-Kn-ZOp-XEAEGy-XB-1.jpg

These are so awesome! But why don’t you put them in the original post too? Not everyone will actually see them if they aren’t in the original post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!
I got messages from a few people who wanted one after making the prototype. I asked for permission to sell unofficial Mastery Slates, and got it! I've been spending the past few weeks working on resin versions.

Warning: this is only a glimpse of what actually happened. The process was longer, and more complicated than that, as I am not showing all the -failed- experiments.

I started by modelling the emblem in Fusion 360.

3dmodel-MR30.png

 

I then printed it in PLA. I had to smooth it before using it to make a mould.

print-mr30.jpg

For the stone part, I kept foam as a primary material. After sanding the edges, I added texture by pressing an actual stone against the warm foam to leave an imprint.

slate-foampart.jpg

I covered it in white glue to get rid of the porous foam aspect, and poured silicone all over it. Here is what the inside of the mould looks like.

mould-mr30-stone.jpg

My first resin cast of the stone slab looked like this.

first-cast-stone.jpg

I then experimented with black pigments so the stone would have a dark colour straight out of the mould, and I would only be left with dry-brushing and varnishing. Here is the colour evolution.

colourevolutio.jpg

I followed the same process for the emblem, with imitation gold pigments instead of black. Here is one straight out of the mould, before being trimmed.

emblem-untrimmed.jpg

Flower Prime!

flowerprime.jpg

Here are the Mastery Slates, ready to be assembled.

masterybeforeassem.jpg

They got wrapped.

umbrapackage.jpg

And the very first batch was ready to leave!

packing-mr30.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...