IRL Mastery Slates

arborealkey

Hello ! I made some resin Mastery Slates (see below). You can scroll down to see how I did it.

squuaree.jpg

masteryslate-1.jpg

A few weeks ago, I made two foam Mastery Slates.

Révélation

Eo-Kn-ZOp-XEAEGy-XB-1.jpg

I got messages from a few people who wanted one after posting the prototypes online. I asked for permission to sell unofficial Mastery Slates, and got it! I then spent the next weeks working on resin versions.

Warning: this is only a glimpse of what actually happened. The process was longer, and more complicated than that, as I am not showing all the -failed- experiments.

I started by modelling the emblem in Fusion 360.

3dmodel-MR30.png

I then printed it in PLA. I had to smooth it before using it to make a mould.

print-mr30.jpg

For the stone part, I kept foam as a primary material. After sanding the edges, I added texture by pressing an actual stone against the warm foam to leave an imprint.

slate-foampart.jpg

I covered it in white glue to get rid of the porous foam aspect, and poured silicone all over it. Here is what the inside of the mould looks like.

mould-mr30-stone.jpg

My first resin cast of the stone slab looked like this.

first-cast-stone.jpg

I then experimented with black pigments so the stone would have a dark colour straight out of the mould, and I would only be left with dry-brushing and varnishing. Here is the colour evolution.

colourevolutio.jpg

I followed the same process for the emblem, with imitation gold pigments instead of black. Here is one straight out of the mould, before being trimmed.

emblem-untrimmed.jpg

Flower Prime!

flowerprime.jpg

Here are the Mastery Slates, ready to be assembled.

masterybeforeassem.jpg

They got wrapped.

umbrapackage.jpg

And the very first batch was ready to leave!

packing-mr30.jpg

Il y a 3 heures, Your_Very_Best_Friend a dit :

I saw this on your insta! Super excited to watch your progress!

Welcome back, then !

Il y a 2 heures, roromado13 a dit :

Wow this looks great 😊 I'm looking forward to finding out your next creations. 

Thanks !

Little update on the model, I'm almost done.

IMG-20201126-233843.jpg

Le 03/12/2020 à 10:24, Nine a dit :

These are lovely, also; mastery rank coaster set and plaques. 

Thank you ! That could work, they would just have to be flat.

I asked for permission to sell a few of these, and got it (as long as I'm not pretending to offer official merch). As a consequence, I'm currently working on creating a cleaner, sleeker, shinier version of the MR30 slate, that will be cast out of resin.

On 2020-11-28 at 12:18 PM, arborealkey said:

I made a MR30 slate, I still have to paint it...

IMG-2ko8eg-compress34.jpg

On 2020-11-29 at 12:53 PM, arborealkey said:

MR30 mini mastery slate. That's just a quick foam build, I'll probably make a cleaner one later.

IMG-20201129-184452-381.jpg

On 2020-12-01 at 1:59 PM, arborealkey said:

2 down, 28 to go !

Eo-Kn-ZOp-XEAEGy-XB-1.jpg

These are so awesome! But why don’t you put them in the original post too? Not everyone will actually see them if they aren’t in the original post.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!
I got messages from a few people who wanted one after making the prototype. I asked for permission to sell unofficial Mastery Slates, and got it! I've been spending the past few weeks working on resin versions.

Warning: this is only a glimpse of what actually happened. The process was longer, and more complicated than that, as I am not showing all the -failed- experiments.

I started by modelling the emblem in Fusion 360.

3dmodel-MR30.png

I then printed it in PLA. I had to smooth it before using it to make a mould.

print-mr30.jpg

For the stone part, I kept foam as a primary material. After sanding the edges, I added texture by pressing an actual stone against the warm foam to leave an imprint.

slate-foampart.jpg

I covered it in white glue to get rid of the porous foam aspect, and poured silicone all over it. Here is what the inside of the mould looks like.

mould-mr30-stone.jpg

My first resin cast of the stone slab looked like this.

first-cast-stone.jpg

I then experimented with black pigments so the stone would have a dark colour straight out of the mould, and I would only be left with dry-brushing and varnishing. Here is the colour evolution.

colourevolutio.jpg

I followed the same process for the emblem, with imitation gold pigments instead of black. Here is one straight out of the mould, before being trimmed.

emblem-untrimmed.jpg

Flower Prime!

flowerprime.jpg

Here are the Mastery Slates, ready to be assembled.

masterybeforeassem.jpg

They got wrapped.

umbrapackage.jpg

And the very first batch was ready to leave!

packing-mr30.jpg

Archived