Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about those duviri Horses, No DE! Please reconsider with speeder bikes as an alternative.

(XBOX)YoungGunn82

On 2020-11-27 at 1:48 PM, Hayrack said:

DE can't do wheeled vehicles but they can do horses? Leave logic at the gates to The Void, tenno.

The terrain isn't set up for wheeled vehicles.  Heck, hoverboards and necramechs can both jump absurdly high and still get stuck and run into terrain they have to go around.  The "open world" maps in Warframe are littered with rocks, trees, (or tentacles that serve the same function,)  boulders, cliffs and ravines that even Evil Kineval wouldn't be able to plausibly jump on a motorbike.  Running around on an Orokin Necrahorse at least shares the same loose connection to believability that necramechs do.

The problem with wheeled vehicles in that kind of game terrain is that a lot of people sort of *know* what a motorbike can do, and it looks much more absurd when a game bike starts doing things that you just *know* they can't do.  That's not quite as big an issue with Warframes or necramechs or hoverboards - none of those things exist.  So if the game says a Warframe or necramech can jump thirty feet straight up from a standing start, it's less "No it can't!" and more "Okay, if you say so."  Try to do the same thing with a motorbike?  No one will believe it.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

The terrain isn't set up for wheeled vehicles.  Heck, hoverboards and necramechs can both jump absurdly high and still get stuck and run into terrain they have to go around.  The "open world" maps in Warframe are littered with rocks, trees, (or tentacles that serve the same function,)  boulders, cliffs and ravines that even Evil Kineval wouldn't be able to plausibly jump on a motorbike.  Running around on an Orokin Necrahorse at least shares the same loose connection to believability that necramechs do.

The problem with wheeled vehicles in that kind of game terrain is that a lot of people sort of *know* what a motorbike can do, and it looks much more absurd when a game bike starts doing things that you just *know* they can't do.  That's not quite as big an issue with Warframes or necramechs or hoverboards - none of those things exist.  So if the game says a Warframe or necramech can jump thirty feet straight up from a standing start, it's less "No it can't!" and more "Okay, if you say so."  Try to do the same thing with a motorbike?  No one will believe it.

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

That entire scene looks ridiculous.

Yet whenever I see it I always have a huge grin on my face precisely because it is ridiculous.

It's like the best type of B-movies, stupid as hell but fun and enjoyable at the same time. 

2 hours ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Because of how clunky and unfun they are? It's just not fun. When I use zenurik, I often ignore the dash and rather rely on the additional energy from orbs. 

Operators are such a downgrade when it comes to the mobility of Warframes. Making an entire section of the game only playable with them is definitely going to push me and (apparently) a lot of others away. 

If planes of duviri was operator only? Gawd the grind! Can you imagine having to mount and dismount a horse every time to get from point A to B and back over and over and over and over and over? Met Gala Fashion GIF

I love horses just as much as the next guy. Hell I own 6. But horses just don’t belong in a game like Warframe. All the animations needed are way to complex for DE. 
Would rather they animate a bunch of cephalon voice packs so we dont have to hear or see the lotus anymore. Also can take Norah too, Glass man was defeated. She serves no purpose to me atm.

Given Death rode a pale horse I think my kill count entitles me to a techromantic one.

I mean I have, installed, at least 2 games where I have hover bikes.

I have 0 games installed where I can ride a high tech necro-hourse. What is with people wanting to make warframe like every other dang shooter?

5 hours ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

All the animations needed are way to complex for DE. 

Why would they need to create the animations? You can literally buy horse motion capture data and as DE has used motion capture for humans before I see no reason they wouldn't do the same for horses it would costless development time to do it that way. 

22 hours ago, EmberStar said:

Plains of Eidolon and Orb Valis literally have roads.

7 minutes ago, Hayrack said:

And the shortest path between areas of interest rarely line up with said roads.

Also, I think it's a tad overambitious to describe the glorified gravel paths on the plains as "roads".

1 hour ago, Troposphere6 said:

Why would they need to create the animations? You can literally buy horse motion capture data and as DE has used motion capture for humans before I see no reason they wouldn't do the same for horses it would costless development time to do it that way. 

Couple things. Yes they could, sure. But there are many other animations to consider as well.

First-motion capture still has to be put to in game environments. And that would be vary complex and difficult to accomplish to not look absolutely cringe and unattractive with all the different kinds of terrain there are. 

-how would our operators mount and dismount? that would take lots complex animations. Not to mention SLOW. 

- Even the operator actually riding the horse in game would be to difficult for DE. Those animations are vary complex. 

*the alternative is give use speed bikes or a skin for our k-drives and done. Let the NPCs keep their “Orokin horse”. 

12 hours ago, Loza03 said:

A motorbike was probably a poor example.

The vehicle they showed off was a big tank-looking thing.

It looked slow, cumbersome, glitchy and barely useful. 

Because it's an utter trash of a concept. DE needs a vehicle designer.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)YoungGunn82 said:

Couple things. Yes they could, sure. But there are many other animations to consider as well.

First-motion capture still has to be put to in game environments. And that would be vary complex and difficult to accomplish to not look absolutely cringe and unattractive with all the different kinds of terrain there are. 

-how would our operators mount and dismount? that would take lots complex animations. Not to mention SLOW. 

- Even the operator actually riding the horse in game would be to difficult for DE. Those animations are vary complex. 

*the alternative is give use speed bikes or a skin for our k-drives and done. Let the NPCs keep their “Orokin horse”. 

There already exists a way for De to put motion capture elements into the game and mounting animations wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish you just motion cap a rider mounting a motion capped horse. De has stated that the delay in Duviri was related to motion capture which is why we got deimos first since that didn't require any motion capture since the infested have better tolerance for wonky animation 

15 hours ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Because of how clunky and unfun they are? It's just not fun. When I use zenurik, I often ignore the dash and rather rely on the additional energy from orbs. 

Operators are such a downgrade when it comes to the mobility of Warframes. Making an entire section of the game only playable with them is definitely going to push me and (apparently) a lot of others away. 

Operator mobility is vastly superior to warframes 😅

6 hours ago, Hayrack said:

And?  The roads go to very limited places - many of the Grineer forts are nowhere near them, an neither are the majority of caves in both locations.  And everything off-road (IE, almost everything) is back to the same issue.  Wheeled vehicles would look stupid driving straight up a cliff, where Warframes and Necramechs at least look "okay" bounding up it and hoverboards can (sort of) fly.

Archived