Grendel: an idea to rework ability rotations, energy management and gameplay

(PSN)Hopper_Orouk

most if not all abilities in the game go towards loosing energy, it's kind of a known fact at this point, you pay energy to get a benefit in exchange.

well i want to change that, and i'm starting with grendel, while he is perfect for me, he's not for other players.

keep in mind i am not going to rework how the abilities function much just how they manage energy :) 

let's start: 

unlike other Warframes, grendel starts any mission with 0 energy 

FEAST: feast costs no energy and will now RESTORE energy instead of depleting them, restoring around 1 point of energy per enemy more or less depending on the statistics, the reason for this huge change i will explain below

HOLD TO PUKE (AKA SHOTGUN FEAST): using the shotgun mode of feast will now completely drain all of your energy

NOURISH: Nourish armor will now synergize with pulverize, activating nourish armor will reflect 60% of the damage back to the attacker as toxin damage with 600% status chance and it will increase pulverize's collision damage by 3 times, nourish still consumes energy.

REGURGITATE: Regurgitate will restore 5 points of energy with every enemy hit

PULVERIZE: Pulverize Will ONLY activate at FULL energy,  Pulverize is going to consume 10 energy per second at max rank, and consume a few points of energy with each attack executed. when you get out of pulverize form, it's going to deplete ALL of your energy

ROTATION: activate feast, build up energy then use pulverize form and when you're done or when pulverize consumes your energy, do it all over again.

or if pulverize is not needed, use the shotgun mode of feast

this rework will completely change how you mod grendel, but on the other hand it's a self sustained berserk style gameplay, that lets you use all of your abilities, WITHOUT constraints and ANYTIME you want

with some drawbacks of course

Your change will actually bring more limitations to Grendel as he will always be competing for energy in situations where it is naturally being drained, such as energy vampire nightmare more and parasitic eximus. I strongly disagree with only being able to cast Pulverize at full energy.

With that being said, I do think that there should be some changes to the way the abilities work to streamline Grendel's playstyle:

3 hours ago, (PSN)Hopper_Orouk said:

FEAST: feast costs no energy and will now RESTORE energy instead of depleting them, restoring around 1 point of energy per enemy more or less depending on the statistics, the reason for this huge change i will explain below

Feast definitely needs to drain no energy; it's his main ability and how he activates his other abilities. While it should require an initial activation cost, I don't see the value of draining energy - if anything, Grendel should become slower based on the amount of enemies he has consumed (encumbered; all actions are slow) unless he is moving around in Pulverize.

REGURGITATE: Regurgitate will restore 5 points of energy with every enemy hit

Is a wasted ability. Regurgitate's mechanics can be given to the Puke mechanic of Feast.

NOURISH: Nourish armor will now synergize with pulverize, activating nourish armor will reflect 60% of the damage back to the attacker as toxin damage with 600% status chance and it will increase pulverize's collision damage by 3 times, nourish still consumes energy.

Realistically, Nourish buffs aren't that powerful and could easily be tied together (activating the ability activates all three effects); remove cycled abilities wherever possible.

21 minutes ago, TehGrief said:

Your change will actually bring more limitations to Grendel as he will always be competing for energy in situations where it is naturally being drained, such as energy vampire nightmare more and parasitic eximus. I strongly disagree with only being able to cast Pulverize at full energy.

With that being said, I do think that there should be some changes to the way the abilities work to streamline Grendel's playstyle:

Feast definitely needs to drain no energy; it's his main ability and how he activates his other abilities. While it should require an initial activation cost, I don't see the value of draining energy - if anything, Grendel should become slower based on the amount of enemies he has consumed (encumbered; all actions are slow) unless he is moving around in Pulverize.

Is a wasted ability. Regurgitate's mechanics can be given to the Puke mechanic of Feast.

Realistically, Nourish buffs aren't that powerful and could easily be tied together (activating the ability activates all three effects); remove cycled abilities wherever possible.

Ok so first as always, thanks for the detailed and polite feedback!

Basically, picture this,

feast is the energy generator or the reload,

and pulverize and the puke version of the feast are the weapons that consume.

And nourish is the overcharge that buffs the ability 

I want grendel to have a hyper active fast paced playstyle the complete opposite of what his look implies.

Additionally, i don't think lich eximus causes problems since my feast literally replenish energy now

• 2 months later...
On 27-11-2020 at 3:07 PM, TehGrief said:

PULVERIZE: I disagree aswell with the idea of making it use pulverize at only 100% Energy. It removes alot of fun untill You get full energy. but the idea of NOURISHED ARMOR  getting him that Toxin Deflect Back is really nice. Aswell as the 600% Status chance.

FEAST: But the idea that feast regains energy, wich sounds logical because eating gives energy in humans aswell and not drains is also a good idea, Gaining 1 energy per enemy stored seems a really nice way of constantly being able to use his kit aswel as keeping good crowd controll in any instance.

NOURISH: The idea of having the 3 abilitys in 1 is also a great benefit for Grendel and his ability to support the group. Since he doesnt have to cycle through his buffs to activate and can just use it all at once wich leads to giving the group a faster buff boost when it runs out.

REGURGITATE: I think its a waste of a ability slot but it gives him some kind of character when you have 1 enemy that annoys you and you can just feast and shotgun spit him into orbit.

I just enjoy Grendel now aswell. I m1in him and its just som much fun to use him since you can really experiment with him and his toxin buff. You can have 3 weapons with 3 elements and have 3 fused elements with the buff. He has really nice utility in my perspective.

A Buff can always be appreciated but i prefer some good skins above a buff because you can make grendel work now too. 

Maybe the changes you stated can be used as augments for Grendel?

I just support his existence because grendel can make any instance really easy because of his feast crowd controll aspect.

He is in my opinion really underrated

7 minutes ago, (PSN)MNBordeaux said:

He is in my opinion really underrated

indeed friend, i am personally a big fan of pulverize and will always try to push this ability to it's limits, i once succeeded in killing steel path level enemies with it, all be it with the help of some armor strip and damage buffs.

being able to cast pulverize at full energy change, is debatable i fully understand, but it's payoff for literally not having to worry about any energy, since feast costs 0 energy and even restores it back

this change of mine is very specific, and it only rewards bursts of damage so it's not for everyone

you know, it's just an idea after all.  

I've gotten my warframe usage boards kind of into the shape I want so I have been spending time with Grendel now and I just really hate his energy management.  

Feast should burn energy as you inhale enemies but after you stop there should be no energy drain.   Grendel needs to carry guys in his gut to make use of his abilities.   You wanna save guys in your gut later for buffs or for projectiles,  but if you do this you burn down your own energy and when the times comes you may not be able to cast those abilties.   However his constantly draining energy for guys in his gut is the biggest determiment to his Ultimate.    You need 10 guys in your gut to trigger the best 4 you can...   but if you have to scoop up a couple of guys here and a couple of guys there then by the time you have enough for a big 4 you can only do it for a few short seconds.   

Enemies in his gut consuming energy has GOT to go.   That would make grendel infinitely more fun to play.

After that we can maybe revist his rotating abilities.   Maybe double their duration?   Let grendel heals those in range when he heals himself??

-------------------------

I also DEMAND to have Grendel's idle animation stance be active at all times.   I use the hunched over animation with the sumo stomp.  I dont think he stands hunched over while in combat though or in some area of the game...  Then he stands completely upright.   I hate seeing Grendel like that lol.   

Archived